Klein Tafelberg - Western Cape - Report & Pic's

Default Klein Tafelberg - Western Cape - Report & Pic's

Im very new to 4x4'ing and writing, but here goes

It is the best campsite I have ever stayed at. The owner Steve and his wife were so hospitable and on arrival we were greeted with the warmest welcome. The first night was surprisingly warm and a relaxed braai was enjoyed by all.

The next morning we set off at around 10 am on Saturday for the Klein Tafelberg Trail. I completed the entire route, (sat out of Heart-Break Hill’s sand climb as I just wasn’t in the mood for high revving my KZ) but everyone waxed it and it looked easy compared to the challenge’s we had just completed before it.

The course is set against one of Cape Town’s most extraordinary natural surroundings of flowing green hills, blankets of colourful flowers blooming for Spring and the privilege of ancient bush paintings along the way. It starts off with a sandy trail (Pajero 1 got stuck 3 minutes in). My Tyre gauge gave me the wrong reading before we left and I also got stuck soon afterwards due to been to hard. I dropped my pressure to 0.8 and “Voila!”. The rest was a piece of cake with nice soft sand, twists and turns through the burms and a few mini dune climbs with a few 4x4’s getting stuck.

The rocky sections where great fun but flippin scary at times! My Hilux really needs a raise as there was lots of knocking and my running boards took a big beating. My tyres have little holes and rubber gashes in the sidewalls now so much for 3Ply Side walls on the BFS. The others did not have this issue but I unfortunately got “owned” by the rocks! We were then asked if we wanted to do the more “challenging” section. The 2 SWB Pajeros sat out on this one. The crew that took this section on was Myself, an 80 series LC, an LWB Pajero, followed by another group with a V6 Colt, V6 Pajero (old shape) and a Toyota Prado (pre 2002). My adrenalin pumped down the steep rocky sections as we approached the “serious” stuff! With my foot flat down on the brake pedal the car still slid through difficult rocky cross over’s. A few more bangs and bumps led us to the ultimate challenge of the course…

“The Steps” ...

O MY GAAAAD! My immediate thought was: "Ya right, and a car climbs up this”.. Steve looked at me and reassured me that my KZ would be fine. He then did a demo in his new Land Rover which made it look so easy. The LC 80 series did it with no worries (wait until you see this beast. It looks like a monster truck). It was time for me to brave the steps. My Cousin, Gordz (80 Series Owner), jumped in with me and as we approached The Steps with my hands shaking, knees knocking, adrenalin pumping and a few prayers that we don’t do any serious damage, and off we went! The others all screaming: "Go, go, go!” “Keep up the momentum!” “Stay away from the clutch!” “DONT STOP!” “GO!". Before I knew it, my KZ (Obelix) was on the up! Crawling over the steps slowly and neatly, it felt like I had won an F1 race. It was such a great achievement for the day.

We then stopped off at a really awesome picnic spot, had some lunch with some cold beverages for a 30 minute rest and then it was time for the final trek towards the soft sands of “Heart-Break Hill”.

Once we reached the hill we stopped off. Some of the guys played around but as I said I decided to sit this leg out due to sympathy for my dear Obelix. It took about 2 attempts for most to clear it due to the soft sand. Steve mentioned that in summer the sand became even softer and that not many were able to conquer it in those kinds of conditions and plenty towing and recoveries end up taking most of the day away.

We had lots of fun on the way home sliding and drifting at great speeds through the sand burms towards the camp. Everyone was exhausted from the 5 – 6 hour trip and what better to end it off than with a Captain and Coke, a big warm fire and a delicious steak dish!

***** Stars all the way!

Photos -> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... c6c3f28b29
    2002 Toyota Hilux KZTE D/C 4x4 Raider
    Dastek Unichip - ARB bullbar - WARN winch - intercooler - Long range tank - BF Goodrich tyres - Lenso alloy mags - FrontRunner Roof Rack - Tentco Awning

Good story telling, sounds like a must do. I'm concerned about the BFG's though, do you have Muds or A/T? I am planning to buy them.

Christopher Kruger
    2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4 with Frontrunner roof rack and tray in the back
    2010 Toyota Clubcab D4D 4x4 with BF Goodridge A/T
    Honda TRX 450 & Suzuki LTZ 400 quad bikes for even more fun and lower back pain

Well done great story, now I cant wait til the week end. We are doing klein Tafelberg this week end (4x4 Cape).
    VW Amarok 132kw auto
    "Bloubull"
    ORRA: D11

Sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by JaMMeX View Post
    ...there was lots of knocking and my running boards took a big beating.
    hehehehe well you were timeously warned about those.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
    20-02-09, 03:39 PM

as i said in a pm to you thats a good looking hilux JaMMeX,
    what i did not say though was you might want to pull off those sidesteps/running boards or something else will...

- Owen
    good writeup btw, will definately give it a visit...
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
    Sounds awesome!

hehehehe well you were timeously warned about those.

good writeup btw, will definately give it a visit...
    thanks owen, I am aware you have told me this, but to be honest, they actually prodected my van from any major damage, so I will be keeping them until I build my rocksliders

Its a awesome circuit!
    Last edited by JaMMeX; 2009/09/01 at 01:37 PM.
    Dastek Unichip - ARB bullbar - WARN winch - intercooler - Long range tank - BF Goodrich tyres - Lenso alloy mags - FrontRunner Roof Rack - Tentco Awning

Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    Good story telling, sounds like a must do. I'm concerned about the BFG's though, do you have Muds or A/T? I am planning to buy them.
    Don't be concerned about the BFG's - I did the entire trail (Adoons route included) with Firestone ATX's
    André
    1998 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4 - Resurrected
    Platkar (Hers) Ford Figo 1.4TDCi

Yeah, ill post some pix, on the side walls, they have little holes going throught to the white layer of the tyre really bummed, thought they were the best!

Anyways, I got Tyre Insurance with TWT, and they have told me to bring the car in for inspection!

Some wonderful pictures, thanks!
    David Wolmarans

Ford Ranger 2.5 4 x 4 DC turbo diesel, bog standard (Have now fitted a Burnco front bumper, looking for a snorkel)