Animals dangerous to man - human /wildlife conflict

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Animals dangerous to man - human /wildlife conflict

Im involved in writing a book about animals which are dangerous to man mainly the big 5 but obviously including hippo, crocs, hyena and so on.

We are also giving a great deal of attention to human / wildlife conflict, which shows significant evidence of being on the increase, mainly because of the proliferation of so many smaller reserves, parks, and conservancies which has restricted the movement of animals and resulted in much more contact with humans.
    Because of the massive increase in private lodges during the last 10 15 years, there is evidence that some rangers have been appointed without the necessary practical experience, which has also contributed to some risky confrontations taking place.

This forum consists of people who spend a substantial amount of time in the outdoors, and most have been doing this for many years, so if you have any personal anecdotes, issues, etc., which you consider of interest and that may be included in the book, please send these to me off list at [email protected].

If included in the book, the relevant text will be sent to you for final approval as to its accuracy before publication.

Alan,

The fact that in the last 10-15 years the amount of animals in existance had trebled in number due to the explosion of lodges and land set aside for game. As for the unskilled rangers/guides that is open for debate. I had to partake in a pretty in depth and wide ranging guides course and thereafter a tour guides course. Now, there are many companies offering courses of varying breadth and depth, some good some bad. The major problem (one of) is the fact that there are VERY few inspectors. Once a person has been assessed and found to be competent (be it true or due to a "cash donation") the chance of that person ever being found out is remote. Furthermore, a Level 1 field guide is really only just competent and is still learning his trade, and should be continually assessed and mentored by a Level 2 or Trailguide etc.

Lastly, it is true that most/some of these smaller reserves/farms do not understand the inter-relationship between the species, the dynamic nature of complex ecosystems on either a broad scale or the micro/individual scale. The beneficial "taming/habituating" of one species, or even an individual of that species, has varied consequences. It is unfortunate, some-one can buy a piece of land and stock it with anything he wants yet has little or no understanding of how it will affect the animals, the ecosystem, and the local population. I am not touting my services here, but they should be getting people who have a little understanding of nature conservation and conservation management to at least advise them on the basics. I could go on but I think I'm a little off topic and can see the boredom setting in... good luck.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

Thanks for your comments, Gary!
    Alan