UV Filters - your opinion please.

View Poll Results: Do you use UV Filters?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 76.47%
  • No

4 23.53%

Default UV Filters - your opinion please.

Hi all,

What is your opinion on using UV Filters? I use one on all my lenses for protection of course, but a lot of people feel the lens hood is enough protection.

On another forum a forumite with a Canon setup feel he doesn't use the UV Filter as it makes all his shots EXTREMELY soft, so much so that it needs to be deleted, according to him. I don't get the effect on my setup.

What is your take, do you find it creates too soft images?
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

I honestly don't see the point. I have never in my life caused damage to the front of a lens.

Apart from that, why would I put a piece of R100 plastic over my $ 2 000 glass?

Polarizing, warming and special effects filters are a different story.

I for one would've had a broken front end on my 300mm lens if it wasn't for the filter... So rather replace my R400 filter than thousands on repairs or a new lens... I see no bad side effect or difference in my images?
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

I would have destroyed a lens as well, big nasty scratch picked up on a mining site. Probably depends on the environment and the lenses you have.
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2009/08/27 at 07:43 AM.

Personally I dont have on my 18-55 nor my 55-200, but my 70-300 has one on. For the price I should just get for my other 2 lenses as well. It makes all the sense in the world.

Regards,

Personally I am fully in favour of filters to protect you front element BUT only as long as they are quality! I see no point in spending a fortune on good lenses and then putting some cheap and nasty piece of glass that reflects most of the light and/or causes a multitude of other problems such as flare or distortion etc.

If I didnt have filters on I'm sure I would have scratched at least my 28-70 because I remember ending up full on rock climbing after getting lost on a farm in the Karoo and the camera was swinging like a pendulum around my neck whacking into the rocks repeatedly and there was nothing I could do about it at one point (the lens cap was in the car).

When I was in NY and made my pilgrimage to B&H just to see the famous store, I bought B+W MRC filters for all my lenses. These are bloody expensive but they are the best! Their MRC coating allows 99.99% or something of the light through without reflecting plus its extremely hard and scratch resistant. A quick way to test their effectiveness is simply to look at your own reflection in the glass. In any normal filter you can clearly see your face, in the B+W's you cant see a thing unless you peer very closely, its completely transparent.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...ay.aspx?CID=57

I would order them direct from B&H because I dont know anyone who stocks them in SA. Only other brand available in SA I would look at are Hoya multicoated but they are no where near as good as the B+W's.

The advantage of saving the front lense in invaluable. I scratched teh hell out of a UV filter after the lense cap came came off in the bag. Something that had fallen to the bottom of the bag proceeded to scratch the filter, no filter = useless lense. Sure if you are a pro and you are uber careful (not me I am afraid) then they are not needed
    Last edited by Biggles; 2009/08/25 at 09:15 PM.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

It protected my 300 lens the one time, uv lens cracked completely..
    Ford 2.5 2005 4x4 SCab

Isn't the UV filter a throw back from film cameras and no real benefit for Digital
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Digital picture does have a review and also some comments on the pros & cons. They also recommend B+W, but you will have to order from the States.

I did fit one on both my lenses - just in case. I am very careful with the equipment, but killing a lense of >R8K vs a few soft pics still makes sense.

I will test the lenses without it on, but I suspect one will only see a difference in the extreme cases e.g. taking photo's into the sun.
    Groete
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfever View Post
    I will test the lenses without it on, but I suspect one will only see a difference in the extreme cases e.g. taking photo's into the sun.
    Step one when the sun is hitting the front of your lens is to remove all filters if you have them. If you don't, you will get lens flair, which some people may like...

I took a few of these dandelions right into the sun none of the photo's had any flare. Kenko Pro DMC1 UV filter on the 70-200. Lense hood helped.

The 18-55 kit lense does have flare (no hood) but I'm not using it anymore. I'm now using a 17-55, no hood yet ( for Canon not including it in the bundle at that price).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Groete
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyd View Post
    Apart from that, why would I put a piece of R100 plastic over my $ 2 000 glass?
    Decent filters aren't a R100 piece of plastic

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    I would have destroyed a lens as well, big nasty scratch picked up on a mining site. Probably depends on the environment and the lenses you have.
    Exactly, although I have a R1000 point and shoot for most of the mining sites I visit.

I have a simple approach. Expensive lenses which get lots of general use all get UV filters which stay on the lens until they get attached to the camera. If the conditions allow it (which is most of the time) the filter comes off with the lens cap. If conditions are ugly, the filter can stay on.
    '97 Disco Tdi