Help...SFA Hilux??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Help...SFA Hilux??

morning all,

i have recently become a 4x4 enthusiast but do not yet own one...

since moving to PTA and having all my local mates frequent De wildt 4x4 club, i have decided to buy my own 4x4.

i am looking at a SFA hilux. is this the best vehicle to start on and basically never have to upgrade to naother vehicle.

i read a lot of these forums and i hear the SFA is spoken of very highly...
    but which ones? 2.2petrol, 2.4 petrol, 2.8D

i also hear some of these models came out wiht lux spec like electric windows and a/c etc...

i currently drive a CARKIE (Corsa Bakkie, more like a car than real bakkie). i want to sell it ASAP and start 4x4ing...

any help will be great...

if their are other 4x4's that will be more suitablt to start out on then please do mention them. i dop not want to spend more than about R85 000 if it cannot be financed.

Clayton

Hi Clayton

Yes, this is probably one of the best 4x4's ever built. Log on to hilux4x4.co.za and you may even be able to locate a good one for sale being advertised there. For R85 000 or less I'm sure you will be able to get one in good condition. Don't worry too much about the year model (they cover 1986-1998) as long it is in good condition.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Agteros; 2009/08/20 at 11:38 AM. Reason: missing digit in date

thanks agteros!

paying attention to my last sentence of financing...would a 2003 KZTE be a better option for the long run?

seems i can pick these up for around 120k...

the vehicle will be used more for daily commuting to work and back and weekend off roading...with a safari about once or twice a year...

3.0KZTE or 2.7i Petrol....

i know they all good..but which will be the better buy if i dont want to change vehicles for another 7-10 years...

Hi Clayton

If you want a very capable 4x4 go for the SFA but if you want an all-rounder then rather go for one of the later models. My advise would be to go for the 2.7 as this would be a less riskier buy compared to the KZ-TE especially if you don't know the previous owner.

Having said all of the above a SFA is not necessarily an uncomfortable vehicle - I have just completed a 3 week trip with my SFA to Namibia over which I drove 7500 kms without any aches or pains - but yes the later models will be more comfortable.

Hi,

It all depends. I own a Hilux 2.2 SFA and a Corsa Carkie. I use the Hilux only for overlanding and some trails (obviously , the Corsa wan't be able to do it) and not for everyday use. I once owned a 2001 2.7 IFS 4x4.

You can pick up a SFA 2.2 or SFA 2.4 in the region of R 40k - R65 k. There are more expensive ones, etc...

If you want a daily runner, then I would suggest go for the 2.7, otherwise I would keep the Carkie and get a SFA. What is nice about having the SFA and the Carkie, if you do break the 4x4 on a trail, you still have a car to go to work. If you only have the 2.7 and it breaks, you will have a problem.

I drove an Isuzu Diesel for a while (not 4x4) and what killed my when it was used as a daily runner was the frequent services - except if you do it yourself. I loved the low down torque of the diesel donkey, though.

Fuel consumption of the SFA is quite low, around 6km/l if you are lucky. The IFS 2.7 is not much better, around 7.2 km/l, I think. Carkie will give around 10+ km/l in town

For overlanding, I think the IFS will be the better option, though I fell deep in love with my SFA and I am busy rigging it to be a good overlander and an (above) average trail vehicle.

thanks guys for the info...

i think i am going to get a SFA and take advantage of not having to use it on a daily basis...using the Carkie toget to work and back.

now, next question. 2.2, 2.4, 2.8D...

def double cab as i would like to do more overlanding than technical tracks...go up to mozam, namib...etc...

I went for the 2.2 because the engine is quite cheap to maintain (thanks to all the Taxis, I now look through different eyes when they pass me). The 2.2 might be a bit underpowered, and is definitely very thirsty. (I had to replace my engine recently, and fitting a new Korean 4y - not Toyota - including labour worked out just below R10k)

Diesel will give you a very good fuel consumption - an important fact to factor in when doing long overlanding trips. The biggest downfall of a Diesel (except for regular services) is when doing huge dunes, which I haven't done yet. But ja, best would be to ask the guys on hilux4x4.co.za, they will provide more informed answers.

Don't get the 2.8D. Been there done that, still paying for the T-shirt.

Maybe I had a lemon, but I would rather go for a 2.7 IFS if I want another 2nd hand 4x4 in future.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

If you can, get yourself a 2.2, the engines are as cheap as chips to work on and they're as reliable a motor as you could ever hope.

Once you've got all the after purchase niggly's sorted then do an EFI conversion on the 2.2 and you'll gain some more power and better fuel economy.

There's a very capable one currently advertised on the Hilux forum. JohanM has asked me to mention this here because his computer is currently out of order. If you're interested, PM me and I'll pass his details on to you. This 4Y has already been converted to EFI and believe me, there is a massive increase in driving pleasure in what is probably already the most capable vehicle of its kind.

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/views/view...php?f=7&t=7861

-F_D
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Aspiring Hiluxiar View Post
    thanks guys for the info...

i think i am going to get a SFA and take advantage of not having to use it on a daily basis...using the Carkie toget to work and back.

now, next question. 2.2, 2.4, 2.8D...

def double cab as i would like to do more overlanding than technical tracks...go up to mozam, namib...etc...
    Ek het 'n '96 2.4 petrol dc, het nou 170000km gedoen sonder enige probleme
    brandstof tussen 6.5 en 7.5km/l. Het olman emu suspensie opgesit,
    groot verbetering teenoor oorspronklike vering.Was in April 09 deur kaokaland,
    van zyls 5000km sonder probleme
    Groetnis

All the reccomendation on the 2.2 is spot on.
    Toybox's comments on EFI is correct.
    The drivability would be about the same as 2.4 but better consumtion.
    They are also light and makes them easy on sand, mud and most other places.

After market goodies are plenty full and with any decent suspension setup makes then awesome.

Disco 2 V8 XS

The SFA 2.2l is a Legend in its own, you will not go wrong that I can say!!!

Louis

SFA 2.2 hilux - the stuff that dreams are made of.

Best 4x4 ever made IMHO - I had a throughflow exhaust on mine - managed to sit on 120 -130 kmh on tar. Tar is not its home though and you would not want to travel faster....

I found mine quite confortable - cheap to fix (if you ever need to), reliable, super capable off road and a vehicle you can develop a passion for - what more do you want?
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

My 1986 baby!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Agteros View Post
    My 1986 baby!
    Nice looking vehicle - you can see that it is well looked after!
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Hi Agteros,

Wat se rims het jy op jou bakkie en waar het jy hulle gekry?

Vriendelike groete,
    Jaco

Quote Originally Posted by Agteros View Post
    My 1986 baby!

Hi Jaco

Ek het die bakkie so gekoop in 2000 - ek dink dis die gewone silwer Raider rims waarmee die Hiluxe van die middel 90's (?) mee uitgekom het.

Dis basies 'n 1986 model wat "ge-Raiderize" is - strepe, "grille", rims ens.

You can't go wrong with the SFA Hilux

May not be the most luxurious or comfy vehicle but when you complete the obstacle and watch other vehicles struggling and/or breaking it all starts to make sense.

Let us know if you find one

Toyota Hilux SFA
    Procomp Suspension
    4" Lift
    Detroit Lockers Front and Back
    Crawler Gears (4.7:1)
    33" BFG Muds

"Spanner in the works"

If you are not set on a double cab bakkie, why not look at a 60 Series Cruiser? SUV space in side, a little more comfortable than the SFA Hilux but still SFA. And for the same price...

Just 'n thought - use it don't use it.....
    He who has the most toys wins.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast