taipan Guest

Default Kukonje Island????

hi there,

does anybody have information about the road conditions around kukonje island?

we are planning to camp there in the 2nd week in september, entering via dukwe, exiting to the south!!

thanks for any infos!!

best regards,

christof

Roads should be fine then - Kukonje becomes difficult as soon as there's any rain as its a 7km track across the pan surface, but not likely in 2nd week of September (although with this year anything's possible!). Otherwise the roads from Dukwe - Lekhubu and on south are ok, some hidden dongas and a couple of dry river crossings but otherwise nothing special

We crossed in October last year and had no problems but the pans was very dry. The warden at the vet fence closest to Kukonje is clued up and will tell you if it is safe. You will also see the tracks next to the fence, stay on them if in doubt and do one car first before letting the rest on the pan. Lovely camping under the large Boabab.

Just returned from Bots.
    Khubu was dry, should be dry there to!

taipan Guest

thx for the infos, so it will be kukonje!!!

When you reach the Island you will find a track that goes over to the right, then over the main hill on the island and down the other side. When you get to the other side you will find MASSIVE shady trees and an obvious place people have camped. Arguably the quietest and nicest camp close to the pans.

taipan Guest

thanks for all the info. weŽll give it a try!!

rgrds,

christof

Default Re: Kukonje Island????

There are about 4 or 5 different threads on this Community about Kukonje Island. I think I've read them all. I decided to resurrect this one (thread necromancy?).

The latest reply on any of the threads I've read is from 2020.

YouTube videos and stuff and reports on the internet from the last year or two seem to indicate that some campsites still remain but that is about all.

Has anyone been here recently and what are your thoughts on Kukonje island and surrounds? Also, from what I've read, accessibility for a single vehicle during August shouldn't normally be an issue.

Also on my InfoMap is "Hilltop ruin" nearby which seems interesting.

The "ancient pebble beach" referred to in some reports seems to be on the track accessing the island from the North. Would that be the track from Dukwe?

Thank you anyone, in advance, for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    There are about 4 or 5 different threads on this Community about Kukonje Island. I think I've read them all. I decided to resurrect this one (thread necromancy?).

The latest reply on any of the threads I've read is from 2020.

YouTube videos and stuff and reports on the internet from the last year or two seem to indicate that some campsites still remain but that is about all.

Has anyone been here recently and what are your thoughts on Kukonje island and surrounds? Also, from what I've read, accessibility for a single vehicle during August shouldn't normally be an issue.

Also on my InfoMap is "Hilltop ruin" nearby which seems interesting.

The "ancient pebble beach" referred to in some reports seems to be on the track accessing the island from the North. Would that be the track from Dukwe?

Thank you anyone, in advance, for your input.
    I wrote a blog post about our visit there in 2022, you can find it here if you want: https://stuckinlowgear.com/botswana-...u-island-nxai/

Ancient pebble beach, as far as we could tell, was just a pebble beach south of the track that heads out to the island. There is a faint track here, but it kinda dissapears and does not continue as far as is shown on T4A. I suspect this is a seasonal track, but we visited in June and there were still parts of the pan that were dangerous to drive on.

We saw a huge pit, where it looked like someone must have got a big rig stuck and got it dug out, and even just us walking there could break through the crust to goopy mud below.

I don't know about the hilltop ruin.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Hi Apparently there is a well here ??

-20.912489, 26.200358

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	well point.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	725375  

As per your suggestion on my Khubu Island thread, I'll be overnighting there on the 11th July. I'll feedback shortly after I get back to ZA. I seem to recall you're also heading out that way in July, so if it is urgent, PM me your number and I'll be in touch when I have reception again.

According to T4A too, there is a well there. Whether it works or not, no idea. But will be carrying water anyways.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

It's an awesome place to chill for a while. Last time we were there we had intended staying two nights, but stayed three. I'd try to stay a little longer than one night if it was me.
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2012 VW T5 2.0BiTdi 132kW 4Mot Transporter
    2005 Land Rover Discovery II TD5 Facelift

Quote Originally Posted by Imvubu View Post
    It's an awesome place to chill for a while. Last time we were there we had intended staying two nights, but stayed three. I'd try to stay a little longer than one night if it was me.
    I'd love to. But I also need to work too.

I had to put together a bucket list trip for the folks at short notice. I've got a bit of lee-way in terms of things, so I can satisfy some of my whims on the way home. But I will be a little constrained by time.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    I wrote a blog post about our visit there in 2022, you can find it here if you want: https://stuckinlowgear.com/botswana-...u-island-nxai/
    Ah yes... the one with the Gothic picnic tables and the mouse!
    I came across that blog during my extensive googling. A great read and very informative too. Thank you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Early April we stayed on Kukonje and visited all of the former 6 designated camp sites. The hill top is just that. Except one site all others are in a state of total decay. The only remaining toilet stands out in a cute 3 sided wooden outhouse with a view over the pan. Will post pictures later of our chosen site on the island, the cutline track, and our access from Mosu over/along the edge of Sua pan.
    Last edited by La Leona; 2024/06/27 at 11:06 PM.
    After a trip is before a trip

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to La Leona For This Useful Post:

Here a short report about our trip from Letlhakane to Kukonje along Sua Pan and from Kukonje to Francistown along the vet fence.
    Attached Files Attached Files

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to La Leona For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by La Leona View Post
    Here a short report about our trip from Letlhakane to Kukonje along Sua Pan and from Kukonje to Francistown along the vet fence.
    I am impressed that you made it out there in April. I would have guessed it might not be accessible that early in the year, but I suppose it did not rain much this season.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    I am impressed that you made it out there in April. I would have guessed it might not be accessible that early in the year, but I suppose it did not rain much this season.
    The drought was visible early in the year already in March when we started the trip. We had two spare days between CKGR and Tuli and were keen on getting as close as possible to Kukonje. During the planning stage we thought that we could not take the access from the south along the pan so early in the year, but assessment on the spot proofed otherwise. We drove very carefully and didn't get into any tricky situations. We were even able to drive around the entire island on the pan surface. Staying at Kukonje was a highlight for us.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to La Leona For This Useful Post: