Jimny goes to Tiffendell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jimny goes to Tiffendell

We went to The Wartrail over the weekend with our Jimny. We travelled from PE via Cradock and Aliwal North. At around 1400m (near Molteno) I could feel the altitude was affecting the performance a bit. It lost a bit more speed on uphills, but it was not bad at all.

Between Lady Grey and Barkly East there are some steep, long hills and this was where I found the drop in speed on hills the worst. On some inclines on the tar road I had to select 3rd gear to keep the speed up. On the flats I was still able to cruize at 130kph.

On the dirt roads the Jimny really impressed me. I noticed that the tyre pressure increased by 0.15bar due to the altitude. I dropped the pressure back to 1.6/1.8bar. The ride was surprisingly soft and the handeling was confident. I used 4x4 mode most of the time when on dirt and found the handling and braking to be much better. I had to brake hard on a few occasions to slow down for pot holes etc and the ABS hardly kicked in. I was quite impressed with the standard Bridgstone tyres in terms of grip. Even at speeds of up to 100km/h on the dirt, the vehicle felt very stable, even when hitting corrugations.

We travelled up to Tiffendell twice during the weekend and low range made this a breeze. The altitude did not bother me on the dirt. You just had to keep the revs up a but more. The road conditions were mostly dry with some short sections of shallow mud.

I noticed that the Jimny would drift a bit when hitting bad corrugations in a corner. As soon as you hit the gas, it would straigthen immediately. I never felt unsafe in the vehicle and soon gained more confidence in the handling.

My consumption ranged from 8.9-12.4km/l. I once calculated 15km/l but I don't think the tank was filled to the brim on this occasion. The worst consumption was on the tar road between PE and Cradock due to a head wind and some climbing. I found the Jimny to be quite economical when driving off road at lower speeds, including climbing the Tiffendell road at 17% to 27% gradient at times. I mostly drove at around 125 - 135km/h (indicated speed) on the freeway. I once pushed it up to 147km/h (true speed-GPS). I found the range of 400km a bit short though.

We were 2 people and when folding the rear seats down, we had ample space for our luggage.

In summary I was very impressed by the Jimny. The ride, performance and handling was far better than I expected. Overall the Jimny gave a solid feel with hardly any rattles. The noise levels inside the vehicle, even at speed were rather low. The seat comfort was also pretty good. The direct steering made it easy to avoid obstacles in the road. The performance improved as the kilo's increased. The odometer now stands at 3300km.

Performance: 7/10 (8/10 on the dirt)
    Ride comfort: 7.5/10
    Consumption 6/10
    Handling: 8/10
    Braking: 8/10
    Fun/smile factor: off the scale!

My previous 4x4 vehicles were a Lada Niva and '96 Hilux DC, therefor I do consider the Jimny as an major upgrade. I will definately recommend this vehicle to anyone who can settle for the size. A small vehicle with a big heart!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6932.JPG 
Views:	462 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	38496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7023.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	38497  
    Last edited by Sawdust; 2009/08/11 at 12:06 PM.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid View Post
    We went to The Wartrail over the weekend with our Jimny. We travelled from PE via Cradock and Aliwal North. At around 1400m (near Molteno) I could feel the altitude was affecting the performance a bit. It lost a bit more speed on uphills, but it was not bad at all.
    Now you know how we suffer with performance up here in Joey's. My performance starts to improve when I get near Molteno
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

Dawid we did another 1450 km this weekend. Mostly dirt roads, with the odd truly off road section

I find that the Jimny handles better with the tires slightly deflated on gravel, 1,3 and 1,4 for bad off road sections I drop it another 0,1 bar. This makes it much more comfortable. Would like to hear what the experts say about this ....

As for the "smile factor" - well put.

I thought of deflating more but we had to do the odd tar road section now and again and didn't feel like pumping the tyres again. I was initially peed off for not trading my tyres in earlier on A/T tyres, but after this weekend I am rather happy with the standard tyres. The grip was surprisingly good on the dry dirt roads.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

JIP, the worst is when you do a few kilos dirt, then a few kilos tar ....

As for the grip of the standard tires. Look where the standard tires went this weekend .....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5491 (Large).jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	38619

Name:	IMG_5498 (Large).jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	38620

Name:	IMG_5499 (Large).jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	38621

It did these climbs without once spinning or loosing control !!
    Last edited by Elders; 2009/08/12 at 08:07 AM.

TNF Guest

Smile

Dawid, I experienced similar conditions approaching Underberg - but overall very impressed!

Did Sani-Pass this past weekend with the standard tires at 1.4 bar - ride comfortable & grip awesome.

ChrisF, where did you take these pics, the view looks stunning?? I am planning to do Route 62 and some mountain passes this December.

If only I had known.....you could have gone along down Bastervoetpad, through the plantations and up to Gatberg.
    We went up to Tiffies on Friday, and I must admit that even the trusty ol' turbo diesel struggled wit some altitude sickness.
    Jacques
    Never trust a Chinchilla to hold your balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dookie View Post
    If only I had known.....you could have gone along down Bastervoetpad, through the plantations and up to Gatberg.
    We went up to Tiffies on Friday, and I must admit that even the trusty ol' turbo diesel struggled wit some altitude sickness.
    We will be going back in December to do the Wartrail MTB race. Did it last year as well. Will get some info on the Bastervoetpad and have a look. Thanks
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Quote Originally Posted by Dookie View Post
    We will be going back in December to do the Wartrail MTB race. Did it last year as well. Will get some info on the Bastervoetpad and have a look. Thanks
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

TNF I have lots of routes around route 62 that you can do ...

Will need to sit down and type out something Word ..... just remind me if it is not posted in the next few days .....

TNF Guest

Chris, dit sal baie nice wees. Ek het sover nog net die R62 website deurgewerk en ook 'n paar WEG tydskrif artikels gekry oor dorpe op die R62.

Miskien kan jy 'n lys maak van die "moet sien" plekke & paaie, dit sal klaar BAIE help. Dis mos jou valley daai?

Thumbs up

Wanneer jy 'n Barkley is moet jy nie Bastervoetpad mis ry nie. Ons gaan elke 2de maand van Durban na Barkley. (Skoonpa boer da). Dan ry ons Naude's net soontoe en Bastervoet terug. Dis 'n klein stukkie hemel wat ons Vader vir ons uitgele het. Foto is bo op Bastervoet geneem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plaas097.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	38733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plaas098.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	38734  

Dirt next to route 62 …..

Let’ confine this to Route 62 from Oudtshoorn to Montaque, and the areas around this.

Prince Albert is between the N1 and Oudtshoorn, thus a possible starting point.

Look at the route from Prince Albert to Gamkaskloofdam, about 40 km of dirt road.

From Prince Albert you can go to Oudtshoorn via Meirings poort, this is tar but also a must see. You cross the river 6 or 7 times ….

The other route between Prince Albert and Oudtshoorn is via Swartbergpass. Halfway up the pass from the Prince Albert side you turn right to go to The Hell (Gamkaskloof). 2 hours for 40 km !! Seriously consider staying over inside Die Hell for a night. A ride in and out plus a bit of time inside Die Hell will easily take 6 hours out of a day, not leaving time to do much else.

Now you head past Oudtshoorn down Route 62 and stop in at Calitzdorp. There is actually a gravel road from the Swartberg pass to Calitsdorp. Just after Calitzdorp you find Bo-jaankop. 1st gear low range I had to keep the revs at 3500 to keep momentum !! That hill is STEEP ! J Man WHAT A VIEW FROM THE TOP, looking down on 6 mountain ranges …. They also have a camp site and houses to stay in on the farm.

You should be able to fit in the Rooiberg pass from Calitzdorp to Ladismith. I would recommend staying on the tar until you reach the turn off to Seweweekspoort, between Calitzdorp and Ladismith. Once through this poort you can turn right to go down the Bosluiskloofpass to go to the Gamkaskloofdam. Same dam that you were at from Prince Albert, BUT you have to do a few hundred kilometer round trip to get to the other side of the dam. If you took the gravel road from Swartbergpass to Calitzdorp you also pass this dam.

We stayed at the Beecatcher guestfarm outside Ladismith. There is a serious off road trial at Buffelspoort. We did not do it, but was told by some hard core people that this is hard core !

We then headed back via Anysberg reserve. You enter the reserve from the road that links Ladismith to Lainsberg. Once inside this reserve make sure to do the trip to TAPHUIS, 45 minutes for 6 km. You can get out of this reserve to Warmwaterberg – but we got lost and missed this turn …

As you join Route 62 from Warmwaterberg you see Ronnie’s Sex Shop. Ronnie used to sell beer out of a cooler box, at Ronnie’s Shop. One night after a few too many one of his friends added the middle word. Since then his shop has been BUSY !! It is just a standard bar and restaurant, for those that are having issues with the name.

Next you find Barrydale, here there are also some 4x4 routes. We have not done these, YET. So I can not comment on these. Another 70 km till Montaque ….

Between Ronnies Shop and Barrydale you can turn of to Gysmanshoekpass. This will take you to Heidelberg on the N2. This in turn is close to Witsand and Maksi-se-pont.

Hope these helps to give you some ideas ….. Bear in mind I have only been off road for 11 months, so lots to learn still.

TNF Guest

Chris, thank you so much for the info. I have got my work cut out for the weekend planning this trip. Looking forward to take Jimny on this adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid View Post
    A small vehicle with a big heart!
    The Jack Russel Terrier of 4x4's! When are we going to read about one driving from Cape to Cairo?

I really like the look of the Jimny - there is one in my future somewhere!
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Quote Originally Posted by Trans-africa Trailers View Post
    Wanneer jy 'n Barkley is moet jy nie Bastervoetpad mis ry nie. Ons gaan elke 2de maand van Durban na Barkley. (Skoonpa boer da). Dan ry ons Naude's net soontoe en Bastervoet terug. Dis 'n klein stukkie hemel wat ons Vader vir ons uitgele het. Foto is bo op Bastervoet geneem.
    Great pics. Will do that in December. Our time was a bit limited this weekend. There was too much to see for one weekend. We did Lundeans Pass as well. Very scenic too.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

TNF we had a look on Google Earth - the dam next to Calitzdorp is NOT the Gamkaskloofdam.

4ePajero Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    TNF we had a look on Google Earth - the dam next to Calitzdorp is NOT the Gamkaskloofdam.
    Correct, it's the Gamkapoort Dam.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 4ePajero; 2009/08/13 at 02:18 PM.

TNF...which route did you follow to sani pass?

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    The Jack Russel Terrier of 4x4's! When are we going to read about one driving from Cape to Cairo?
    If someone can assist with sponsorship I'll do it....come on Suzuki Auto

2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 Tdci XLT DC Auto
    2007 Daihatsu Terios ​Sold
    2015 Ford Ranger DC XLS Sold
    2013 Land Rover Defender Pickup 90 LE - Savannah - Sold
    2007 Land Rover Defender Puma SW90 - Brutus - Sold

TNF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Chris, thanks for the update.

TNF...which route did you follow to sani pass?

Ons het maar die gewone roete van Underberg se kant af gevat. (N3 > R617 tot by Undergberg > Himevile > Sani Pas).

Het nie deur Lesotho gegaan nie - as dit is wat jy miskien vra?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast