Kosi Bay Border - December

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kosi Bay Border - December

Hi

I am going to Santa Maria on 19 December via the Kosi Bay border post.
    I have never used this border post. I know that it will be very busy during this period.
    What is the best time to arrive at the border in order for me to be as far ahead in the queue as possible? It is a hell of a drive from here to Santa Maria so i would like to get the formalities over and done with as quick as possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DieOom View Post
    What is the best time to arrive at the border
    Thanks
    IIRC Kosi opens normally at 7am , festive season earlier from 6 am . If you're there at 5:30 am you will be first/one of the first .

Travelling from Pretoria have you considered entering via Swazi ?

Default Kosi Bay Border - December

Thanks PGJ

I did consider Swazi, but we decided to take the Kosi route, stay in Kosi for a couple of days and then tackle the ele reserve from there.

Have you driven to Santa Maria through the reserve?
    I've received mixed messages from people, some say it's horrible, others say it's not that bad.
    I suppose it does depend on the weather conditions that the people had to contend with.
    I might as well get one more opinion.

hmk Guest

You can get there via the ele park. The ele park itself is a huge diappointment ito animal life: it's all been eaten! The drive is inplaces very soft and sandy (can be real fun after heavy rain). The drive to Ponta Milibangalala is really worthwhile, with magnificent scenery. The view from the top of the dunes is spectacular. If you drive with a trailer, there are hairpin bends that may reauire you to either manouver the trailer by hand, or cut the bushes. Oh, and they are very strict about vehicle access to the beach. I persuaded the (armed) guard that I was only there for fifteen minutes to take pictures. He allowed me in to park next to a boat trailer to give the appearance that I was towing the trailer, the boat being out at sea.

We generally found that the Kosi border post is informal, no customs hassles at all UNLESS you are a sole female driver. We had the situation that I could only come down later, so told the wife to take the 4x4 through the border and pick me up two days later. I get a call from her that they want to see the engine number (normally they are only too happy if you have papers). The trick is that on the Nissan V6 the engine number is concealed by the cylinder head. A few phone calls later and they agreed that the vehicle had gone through the border several times, so no hassle. One call I made was to a friend in Ponta d'Ouro (male) who drove up and let out a couple of growls to let them know this was bullsh1t. If you go over as a group with a sole female driver, no hassles at all - we tried it on a subsequent occasion.

Good luck, and enjoy. Oh, remember to buy your third party insurance locally, saves a lot of hassles. And do not display, let alone hand over, original vehicle docs - police certified copies are acceptable. At the Komatipoort border, they tried to 'steal' the vehicle via a demand for the originals - this from the SA side. I firmly insisted that SA Police certification was in order, and was let go after a brief 'discussion'.