sa,zim,moz,malawi trip details

Post sa,zim,moz,malawi trip details

hi there

1) planning a trip from sa to malawi via zim and moz,however my route that im taking is what im not sure of,maybe someone can help me,

2) my route is beitbridge,masvingo,harare from there to nyamapanda border to tete in moz and entering malawi through mwanza,i want to drive through non stop,because to scared of what might happen

3) its my first ever cross border trip so im a bit worried and above that i heard that you need stickers on the vehicle.what other legal things do you need,like your passport licsence papers etc??

4) im driving down with a mahindra scorpio 2.5 td 4x2 d/c non stop what do yourl think??

thanks guys

"2) my route is beitbridge,masvingo,harare from there to nyamapanda border to tete in moz and entering malawi through mwanza,i want to drive through non stop,because to scared of what might happen"

Route sounds fine - why drive non-stop? You only have to be afraid of stopping on the route from Witbank to Beit Bridge, once you're out of SA, very few risks I wouldn't bush camp in Mozambique, but you can easily make Nyamapanda to Blantyre in half a day, used to be camping at the Limbe Country Club, or push through to Zomba and camp on the plateau.

"3) its my first ever cross border trip so im a bit worried and above that i heard that you need stickers on the vehicle.what other legal things do you need,like your passport licsence papers etc??"

Have a look at some of the stickys for other countries - it doesn't change. You need proof of ownership or letter of consent from registered owners, insurance docs, drivers licence, reg papers. You can also, if you really want to be safe, get a police clearance certificate, but this is not essential - although it does speed things up. Red reflective tape on rear bumper and white on front helps, warning triangles and fire extinguisher close to hand for Moz (you can also whack a triangle sticker on if you want), cheap reflective jacket for each occupant for Moz (Midas).

"4) im driving down with a mahindra scorpio 2.5 td 4x2 d/c non stop what do yourl think??"

Don't know the vehicle, but if they can survive India, they'll survive Africa.

Tony
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Insurance docs?? is that for the vehicle?

oh and any vaccinations needed??dont want to bring back a virus.

Best to get a letter from your insurance company spelling out exactly what insurance you have. My vehicles are insured for all risks within the customs union, which means I don't have to take out additional insurance in Nam, Bots etc. You can also take out additional cross border cover if you want it. Generally speaking, the more paperwork you have, the less there is to bust you for.

Not sure about vaccinations right now - I would get yellow fever just in case, because you don't want to be forced to get scratched at the border. Coming from Mpumalanga, it's probably also not a bad idea to get a cholera jab, or at least a piece of paper saying you have had the jab if you don't believe in them.

Don't forget your malaria prophylaxis, and read the thread on water purification (I think it's under camping). Carry a comprehensive first aid kit, and remember that if you are carrying any prescription drugs, you MUST have a letter or prescription from your doctor authorising their use.

Also have a look at the sticky I started on the overland travel section re border crossings etc.

Most of all, just relax and enjoy and travel with a lekker attitude - attitude is everything. Ninety nine percent of South Africans who get into trouble further north do so because they have a attitude and are rude to officials.

Tony
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

thanks for the info.

i heard that the mutare border into machipanda is by using a ferry,correct me if im wrong,i also heard that sometimes the ferry is not working and/or maybe the locals want a bribe to take you over?i dont know how true is it hope someone can rectify this.

can i take some diesel with me through zim?or is that like gona cost me twice as much?

will i find diesel in zim or am i gona pay an arm and a leg for it too?
    the road that im using (as mentioned in my first post) from beitbridge to nyamapanda is it in good condition and how many lanes?

Default SA-Malawi trip

Wonder if you have already left on your trip.

Stop being so nervous and anxious! Once you cross the SA-Zim border you should relax! Just watch out for the cattle and potholes in Zim. A few police road blocks will be on the way but the cops are polite. Keep smiling when you speak to them. Zim Police have again stopped using radars for technical reasons.

I drove all the way to Dar-es Salaam (Tanzania) and back via Mozambique and Malawi just a couple of months ago and faced no problem.

Your best route to Malawi will be via Harare to Nyamapanda at Zim-Moz border. You will find it almost empty - save for a few trucks. Once you enter Moz, you will have to have insurance for the vehicle -which costs apprx. US$ 23. You can buy it at the border after you complete your immigration. You must have insurance! Police speed traps are many in Moz and the fines are high. Keep an eye on speed limits - especially while passing through villages and towns.

The road to Tete from Zim border is good with few vehicles on the road. While exiting Tete town, you will cross the Zambezi river over the Tete bridge. Within a km after the bridge, you will find a customs office on the right hand side (There will be trucks and cars parked. If you can not locate it, ask for "Alfandiga". It is "Customs" in Portuguese). You will have to get your TIP (Temp. Import Permit) stamped there. It takes just a minute normally.

While in Moz, you also need to have two red triangles in the car. The Moz cops keep a look out for foreign-registered cars that normally carry one triangle only and miss speed limit signs. What bothered me most were the cyclists on the road. There are too many of them carrying women at the back with babies in their arms. When a vehicle approaches from the rear and another from the front, their bicycles wobble on the edge of tarmac and I often was worried that they would lose balance and go under the vehicle. Just keep a safe distance from them when you pass them.

On the way to Malawi, after an hour's drive, you get a turn-off to the left with sign post indicating Villa Nova. You have now two choices. Go straight to the crowded border with Malawi and proceed to Blantyre or take the left turn and go for about 100 km on the lovely broad road that runs parallel to the Moz-Malawi border and ends up at Dedza border post in Malawi. Again the border is not busy and you will reach Lilongwe which is about an hour from the border.

You will need to have insurance to cover your trip in Malawi. There are insurance agents at the border.

From Lilongwe, roads are pretty straight forward if you are heading to Tanzanian border or to Malawi Lake. What you need to look out for are cyclists again.

Yes, your Mahindra is a tough nut. It should take you around without any problems. In Harare and in Malawi, there are Mahindra dealers - should you need them.

Refuel at Mussina before you cross the border. Towns along the road to Harare usually have fuel nowadays. Refuel again at Harare which should easily take you to Tete. Another refuelling at Tete will take you to Malawi.

I live in Masvingo (Zimbabwe) and if you need any more info, do not hesitate to contact me when you are passing my town (Phone + 263 912 278 958).

Good luck. Relax and enjoy your trip!
    Anith

Quote Originally Posted by isipark View Post
    thanks for the info.

i heard that the mutare border into machipanda is by using a ferry,correct me if im wrong,i also heard that sometimes the ferry is not working and/or maybe the locals want a bribe to take you over?i dont know how true is it hope someone can rectify this.

can i take some diesel with me through zim?or is that like gona cost me twice as much?

will i find diesel in zim or am i gona pay an arm and a leg for it too?
    the road that im using (as mentioned in my first post) from beitbridge to nyamapanda is it in good condition and how many lanes?
    Refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death

I have just heard from one Zim guy who works for me that he was refused entry into Zim at Biet Bridge because he was driving a Zimbabwean driving a South African registered vehicle in his own name. He said they wanted a bribe, and he didnt have the money, so he returned to Cape Town.

He said the border was chaos, and people were refused entry with photo copies of log books, as the originals were with the bank. to be safe I would get a SAP clearance and a letter from the bank, as well as a certified copy of the log book. To be even safer, dont use Biet Bridge, if at all possible.

Such a pity. Zim is really a worth while place to visit.
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5301&dateline=1335341  324
    JK-2.8,KJ-2.5,JK-3.8,KB-300,GV-V6,KB6

Hi Anith, Can you advise which camps you stayed at on your way to Dar + is there any camping on the Zim side of the border at Nyamapanda? Any camping on the other side of the border? Thanks, Paolo

Yes, Beit Bridge is chaos. The officials are on a "go slow" strike. Not that they are any faster when they are not on strike.

If you have an international drivers licence, you can cross into Zim with a ZA reg vehicle, being a Zim. R100 from any AA office.

The problem with getting insurance that will cover the whole of Zim, from your own broker, is that the policeman that stops you along the road, is not fully versed. So he is looking for the piece of paper that was issued at Beit Bridge. So my advise is to buy the piece of paper and have it at hand. I have never heard of a successful claim against it though.

All these additional costs do mount up, but I just pass them to the client. I don't stress myself about their systems.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Default Zim bad experience

We are still in moz on holiday after crossing beit bridge on the 5th august 2009. ! 4,5 hours to clear that circus!what an organized chaos ! a slump of dirty,smelly organized africanized bribery! i lost my nerve after so many years of travelling in the sadc region ! i shouted at the guma gumas and officials at the zimra clowns !no one speaks loud against the guma gumas that jump the queueing and are looked after by a female official at the counter that I took a photo of ! she sits next to a so called shift supervisor ! what a circus of inefficient imcompetence ! i dont give a damn of what anyone may think of that but never again i will entertain , such a dog , useless incompetent show! at nyamapanda it was a so called interpol agent that threatened me with a trip back to harare to clear my legally registered car having received a sars clearance from the rsa at beit bridge ! again the stupid incompetent officials are so preocupied with the bribes that they did not want to see my trailer and all the things that i declared ! including liters of wine and 40 liters of diesel! Morgan my boy do you have a work to do with the zimra dog show! still a lot of work in firing that whole lot of incompetent clowns of the dog show! then in moz at nyamapanda the moz show started ! i speak the lingo fluently and straight away it was a da-me vinte randes or give me 20 rands to a complete circus of wanting to see what they could not get a s### about , ie the lure of a locked conqueror trailer contents ! the main thing is only money and bribes!!
    otherwise all well , excellent tiger fishing at cahora bassa-given the time of the season and a super stay of 5 days at gorongosa with excellent game viewing, next week we go to ponta and then back to the rsa.
    from maputo it is a cheers and will give more detailed news in a week´s time.
    Last edited by Jayefe; 2009/08/17 at 07:28 AM. Reason: nyamapanda was the name not machipanda

Thanks ram350,i will only be leaving in december 11th or so,i got your number will be contacting you shortly.i see you noticed how bang (scared) i am to travel through zim and moz,hey just for the records its the wife thats scared :-) not me.hehe. Anyways what you mentioned though about a mahindra dealership in malawi,where about is it?im mostly gona be in mangochi side.

thanks again for your input

Hi jayefe

eish man i can sense that you realy upset with all the bribes and corruption you had to face.its sad to notice how ignorant some people are.anyways let me know how much extra money i must take for bribes ;-) just kidding. Enjoy your vacation make the best out of it and safe journey back home

Default zim BAD experience

We have arrived safely back home !
    . We travelled 6442km from East London to pilansberg, zim , moz, and back to East London. we visited cahora bassa and the gorongosa national park in moz the highlights of the trip.
    Zim was by far the worst experience ! It was just adrive thru as we were on route to nyamapanda and cahora bassa in moz.
    Be warned about the dog show of incompetent clowns at the beit bridge zim side of the border! I will proceed with more emails for the independent zim papers about these zimra clowns as well as a photo that I managed to take from the lady at the counter ! What a corrupt idiot! I gave a security guard R50 after he asked for it , he then proceeded to the customs organized chaos counter / office outside the main building and the official said to my wife that our off road trailer was too big and he was tired of opening trailers! Then at nyamapanda there was the "interpol agent" - he requested a SAPS clearance certificate after I had handed over all the SARS and insurance certificates of my legally owned 4x4 club cab mitsubishi Colt ... or the prospects of having t travel back to harare to get it sorted out - he said we could talk which I did and he said they were 3 guys - so R300 later there was no problem at all ! The zimra guys at nyamapanda never opened the trailer , were not interested at all ! I had declared everything including wine , cameras , laptop, video camera , 40 lts of diesel etc ; NO ONE CHECKED ANYTHING ! a complete farse !
    In moz was a different thing - a quick R20 as the request and after much discussion in portuguese " my customs brother " allowed me in ; the young police was protesting since he got nothing and was fascinated by the LN freezer at the back of the bakkie! The whole experience at beit bridge and nyamapanda was most annoying ! I will try the best in writing to the zim and moz independent papers with more detailed facts but doubt if anything will change , but at least i will let go out of my chest!

corruption is the name of the game everywhere.they either know the law but play dumb to see if you are gona bribe them,i mean when i travel im always in a hurry to get through with my journey,they know it, so they will make a quick buck.at the end of the day they aint gona last long they will get caght.

did you buy diesel in zim?
    "U can't change the world, but you can change yourself, once you have changed yourself you have changed the world"

I know that I am going to upset a lot of people but here goes.

If all your papers are in order and you are not trying to import anything illegal then there is no reason to bribe, you might end up having to waist a bit more of your precious time hanging around while the official tries to get on your nerves, I personally make it very clear that he is most welcome to check everything and that I have the time to wait while he does it.

m2cw

Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    I know that I am going to upset a lot of people but here goes.

If all your papers are in order and you are not trying to import anything illegal then there is no reason to bribe m2cw
    I sincerely hope you don't upset anybody! There have been numerous discussions about bribery on this forum, and the very strong line that has come through is that anybody who pays bribes is a) letting all overland travellers down and b) perpetuating the paying of bribes.

I have personally been travelling all over Africa for decades now, including through Zim, Nam, Moz, Zambia, Malawi, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Djibouti etc and I have never, and will never pay a bribe.

Tony
    Tony Weaver

agree with you 100% tony,but hey at the end of the day every man for himself,officials are also to be blamed just as much as the one giving the bribe.i think we have to clean them up by alerting everyone not to bribe them.i feel that if some official comes to me and tells me some paper of mines is not right and if i dont have the valid paper i would be locked up,i would get scared and just pay a bribe,now thats because im either stupid or fear the law or dont know the correct law and not the officials made up law to scare me into giving him a bribe.its always going to be a mess up.
    "U can't change the world, but you can change yourself, once you have changed yourself you have changed the world"

IsiPark,

Have everything in order and go and have a ball, Lake Malawi must be the most awesome place that I have been too.

I'm sort of planning a trip up to Malawi during the big soccer extravagansa(Spelling) next year.

Jose

thanks jose

i will have a ball thanks.