Bridgestone night challenge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bridgestone night challenge

Any other forum members taking part in the night challenge this coming weekend?
    Last edited by trance-porter; 2009/07/27 at 12:40 PM.
    300 TDi 90, OME 2" lift, OME steering damper, steering and diff guards, removed front and rear anti roll bar, snorkel, extra fuel tank, roof rack, running on KM2's

I will also be doing it. See you there.
    Jan.
    Fortuner D4D 4x4
    BMW GS 800 F

(Past drives)
    2005 Discovery 3 V8 SE Silver
    2000 D2 TD5 White
    2005Merc C180 K Cobalt
    2003 D2 V8 SE Gold
    2001 D2 TD5 GS Gold
    2000 Hilux 3000D 2x4 White

tell more, please ....

Cool that's 3 from the forum as Yetti is also in.
    300 TDi 90, OME 2" lift, OME steering damper, steering and diff guards, removed front and rear anti roll bar, snorkel, extra fuel tank, roof rack, running on KM2's

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    tell more, please ....
    I got this mail this morning.

Yesterday the route was finalised and it includes three different venues. Obviously there will be some tar driving between venues and this is impossible to avoid.

You need to bring:

• Decent torches and headlight (for your forehead).
    • Sufficient fuel (longest stretch between garages about 30km) last year someone ran out of fuel on the mountain at 3am &^$*%&^
    • Food, tents, etc.
    • Warm clothes and a change of clothes in case you get wet.
    • Fire extinguisher
    • Basic first aid kit (you standard kit you take on trips)
    • At least one spare wheel.

Programme

• Meet at Bridgestone HQ in Montague Drive, Montague Gardens at 2pm to get your gear, do the numbers draw, etc. Bridgestone are providing boerewors rolls, etc.
    • First vehicle leaves at 3pm
    • Vehicles leave at two minute intervals.
    • There might be some waiting at events but this should be kept to a minimum.
    • We have 7 teams of marshalls who will be assisting with the event and please feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

General

• Due to the nature of the event some areas are rather isolated so please be careful.
    • When you arrive at the final venue you will have some time to set up your tents/camp before the next event.
    • You will have to put stickers on your vehicle for the event, stick them on side windows as they are then easier to remove.

This is going to be the best one yet.

Sounds very interesting.

Any "viewing spots"? Would like to see some of these events while I am still building up the kit.

Will be there as a marshall. Drove the route 2 days ago and its gonna be good fun at NIGHT!
    TLC 105 Fully Locked

Quote Originally Posted by Bongani View Post
    Will be there as a marshall. Drove the route 2 days ago and its gonna be good fun at NIGHT!
    Do share

I am sure you will know all about it by Saturday.
    TLC 105 Fully Locked

I have chickened-out this time, the memory of last year is still way too fresh.

We are having a Club event and I need to be there.

Hopefully the weather will be better this time.

Tips. Take a decent tyre repair kit , make sure the bradawl is super sharp. Have the fire extinguisher handy so that you can produce it at a moment's notice. Make sure you know where to put the jack and check that it's all working beforehand.

But I am sure Yetti has told you all this.

Have fun
    2010 3l D4D Hilux Raider DC, Burnco front bumper, Cooper STT's, Ironman Shocks and Coils, Stofpad Rocksliders and LCSP's
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

This sounds very interesting! I haven't heard of it before, so would love to find out more, please tell us what it's all about?
    8) 2007 Hilux D-4D. Rocksliders, dual battery, bashplate, Ironman suspension. Maniac front bumper, Berco rear bumper. BFG AT's. 29 MHz radio. Dual band VHF & UHF radio. WSAR/ORRU Member.
    ZU1TIM

1st and 2nd August 2009
    Testing your overlanding and driving skills in the dark.

Dear 4x4 Enthusiast

Since 2002 we have been running the African Offroad Adventure this year we have organised the Second Bridgestone 4x4 Night Driving Competition. This event includes some very interesting terrain and includes more offroad driving than last year - SAND, ROCKS & MUD we have it all...and all with the challenge of the night thrown in!

This series of competitions is aimed at the 4x4 owner who uses their 4x4 vehicle for commuting, weekend fun and adventure holidays. The event is not a car breaker (although challenging) and is designed to be completed by a "stock/standard" 4x4 vehicle.

The competition will start at Bridgestone's HQ in Montague Gardens during mid afternoon and will see participants departing at 5 minute intervals to their first waypoint. Marshalls will sign your check sheets and give you the next waypoint and no it is not a race and all times and distances have been calculated at the speed limit less 20%.

Once you have arrived at the destination for the main event you will have some time to get organised and get ready for the next event. The main event includes driving under very different conditions and will include some sand, mud, steep ascents and steep descents, some rock and a whole lot more and all this will happen at night. Once you have completed all the events you will have a few hours of sleep and then the prizes will be awarded with the main prize being a set of Bridgestone tyres and loads of other smaller prizes.

The sequence of vehicles will be changed regularly so as not to favour any participant.

So if you have a street legal 4x4, a sense of humour and a bit of a competitive spirit then you can enter.

The event will start at the Bridgestone HQ in Montague Gardens with vehicles departing at five minute intervals through the Bridgestone Arch.

Date: 30th/31st August

Cost: R595 per vehicle (team of two people)

What you will receive: Two Bridgestone T shirts
    Vehicle numbers
    Participants guide

What you will need: GPS is essential
    Compressor, tyre gauge, etc.
    All your own offroad gear and recovery gear.
    Food, drink and snacks. (Note: no alcoholic drinks permitted until after the event)
    Tent
    Warm clothes
    Adventurous spirit

The last 9 events have proved to be very exciting and loads of fun.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Greg van der Reis
    Organiser

Frequently asked Questions

Is this a “challenge”?

No only street legal vehicles may enter and therefore the competition is aimed at the 4x4 enthusiast who has a 4x4 that he uses to work everyday and wants to try something new. Standard production 4x4’s with reasonable ground clearance and a good driver is all that is needed. The competition is based more on the driver and it is NOT a race.

Are there different classes?

The events are generally based on the driver and co-driver and so the SWB or LWB will not really play a part at all.

I have never done this before!
    That is fine this is a fun event and even though experience counts it is not a race and so come along and see the country and Hey…maybe you will win.

4x4 Question …I don’t have a winch.
    That is no problem as a winch is not a prerequisite. If you get stuck you will be recovered by the participants/organizers.

4x4 Question… What about difflocks?

Difflocks are nice to have but are not always an advantage and chatting to previous participants they have said that they never used their difflocks during the competition.

4x4 Question …Tyre size.
    Tyres are limited to 33 inch tyres on the modified class vehicles and standard factory size on the standard class

What if something goes wrong?

We will be within 30 minutes of a hospital and will get whatever assistance may be needed. This is a competition and things can go wrong and although we have never had a problem in the past the event can be dangerous if drivers make mistakes.

In the case of vehicle problems, you will be assisted to the nearest main road where you have cel signal.

What do I need to participate?

Drivers license.
    4x4 participants need a driver and navigator
    4x4 Vehicle with low range (street legal)
    Decent recovery points front and back
    GPS optional but is of benefit
    Decent lights for the night driving
    Basic offroad and recovery gear.
    You need to supply your own food.
    For the 4x4’s at least one spare wheel, properly mounted to the vehicle (not laying loose)

Is the event a “physical” event – do I need to be fit?

The event is designed around your vehicle and so there will be some physical work around the vehicle but you will not have to run “10km carrying a pole”.

What about the ecology?

Since the event was started in 2002 we have never made new tracks and have never damaged the environment. We endeavour to use existing.

Will my vehicle get damaged?

We have never had a vehicle damaged during any of our events and we have never had and serious medical problems. During competitions anything can go wrong but our aim is to devise a competition where no vehicles are damaged. If you follow the route markers and if your vehicle is mechanically sound (brakes, etc. work) then you should have no problems.

What will it cost to enter?

The cost will be R595 per vehicle (for two persons and the vehicle)
    You will be driving approximately 300km (Cape Town to Cape Town)

What is included in the competition fee?

Your entry fee includes your entry to all areas that are to be used as well as T shirts, all paper work and info pack, marshalling costs, etc.

What is excluded from my fee?

Your food, fuel, snacks, spares, etc.

Can I get sponsors and sign write my vehicle?

Yes, yes, yes.

Are there prizes?

Prizes as well as a trophy which will be awarded to the winner. There will be stage prizes for various special stages (competitions) and thus everyone will have a chance to win something. All participants will receive a certificate of participation.

Can the whole family join in?

No, each vehicle is allowed a driver and navigator only (2 persons) and definitely no children will be allowed.

Can I bring a service crew?

No, you must be completely self sufficient. Service crews indicate a league which is beyond the average participant and therefore no service crews allowed.

Can women handle the event?

We have had a number of ladies participate in the event and they have all enjoyed the event. Women are obviously not as strong as men physically and thus changing tyres does seem to take the ladies a bit longer. Husband and wife teams have generally been great with only one domestic tiff experienced. All participants must learn their left from their right.

What skills do I need?

You must know your 4x4’s abilities.
    You must know how to navigate with a map or how to use a GPS.
    You must have a fair amount of offroad driving experience.
    You must have a desire to have fun rather than just to win.

How do I enter?

Fill in the application form, deposit the full entry fee and then you are booked.

Payment details:
    Offroad Adventures
    Nedbank
    Tyger Valley Branch
    Branch code: 103-910
    Acc No: 1039 037 232

Please fax deposit slip to (021) 913-2709.

CLUB AND EVENT INFO
    Do either of you belong to a club? ________________________________________
    Which one and for how long?_____________________________________________
    Have you participated in any offroad competitions in the past?______________________
    What event: __________________________________________________ _____
    Where were you placed?:__________________________________________ ___
    Send entries to:African Offroad Adventure, Box 15788, Vlaeberg 8018
    or email to [email protected] or fax (021) 913-2709

Land rover s3 swb, 2.25p, goodyear G90, overdrive, capstan winch.

entry is closed , it gets full quick, +-20 vehicles ,

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I have chickened-out this time, the memory of last year is still way too fresh.

We are having a Club event and I need to be there.

Hopefully the weather will be better this time.

Tips. Take a decent tyre repair kit , make sure the bradawl is super sharp. Have the fire extinguisher handy so that you can produce it at a moment's notice. Make sure you know where to put the jack and check that it's all working beforehand.

But I am sure Yetti has told you all this.

Have fun
    Man I was sooo jealous that I missed last years one! I remeber the rain bucketing down on Saturday evening thinking damn I would love to be doing this now.

Any spectator points anywhere?
    Johann Bredell

Jbeez

I can not speak for the organiser but due to the nature of the event, no locations can be revealed beforehand. The competitors will be driving form one GPS waypoint to another. Spectators would have been a cool idea. Especially for the early stages.
    TLC 105 Fully Locked

Spectator points would also help newbies to get a sense of what this is about. Reading the post by Yetti, I would LOVE to do this event in a year or 2. Once I have a bit more experience off road. In the mean time viewing some of this could only help me get more experience .....

Would love to hear where one could view "similar events".

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Spectator points would also help newbies to get a sense of what this is about. Reading the post by Yetti, I would LOVE to do this event in a year or 2. Once I have a bit more experience off road. In the mean time viewing some of this could only help me get more experience .....

Would love to hear where one could view "similar events".
    It is a fun event so you make it as serious as you want, pooped myself the first time not knowing to expect , but now it will be a bit more relaxed for me, not doing it to win but just for fun,

I'm glad the weather is playing along

Well done to all the competitors. It was a great event!
    TLC 105 Fully Locked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast