Broken Isuzu leaf springs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Broken Isuzu leaf springs

Hi guys

In 2005 the right hand blade spring on my 280 broke, and I contributed it to the bad roads in Kgalagadi. Ever since I have upgraded to the 300LX 4x4, and to my surprise, broke another (rightly guessed) right blade spring in Kgalagadi in 2007. With the generous help (after quite a quibble) of GM both sets of leaf springs were replaced.

In 2008 we have had no leaf spring problems in Kgalagadi but this year ONCE AGAIN! First it was the right hand side. Luckily the axle did not move and I could idle back to camp...for 40km's! With excellent technical support from Albert, one of the Sanparks technical team, the blade was taken off, welded and put back again...ready for our return to Cape Town. Again we travelled at a snail's pace, but after approximately 50km the left hand side snapped. This time the axle was moved back and we had a patient wait for approximately 6h before Albert again came to our rescue.

We have reached Cape Town safely with the two welded leaf springs (with chains and webbing straps to keep the axle in place...just in case the welding did not last).

Although the roads are really in a bad state, my Suz never carried excessive weight...far less than the rest of the vehicles in the park. According to Albert the majority of leaf spring problems in the Park are Isuzu related; mostly on the right hand side.

NOW: I have had it with the Isuzu suspension (my wife says: Never again an Isuzu in Kgalagadi!), and plan to upgrade to OME (leaf springs and shocks at the back and shocks at the front. Am I doing the right thing? I would love to hear your comments!

Im not very Technically minded, but thats why I know if you have an Isuzu problem or want to get an Isuzu upgrade, then you go speak to Dune off road, Robert or Johann.
    Unfortunatly they are in centurion & way out of your reach but im sure if you asked them for advise they would gladly oblige, pm them on the IOC web site and find out!
    Justin (Aka GECKO)
    Isuzu KB300 Dteq D/C 4x4 +
    Member I.O.C.

If there's dirt i'll find it!!

Thank you Justin. As I am also not mechanically minded I will contact them.

This is news to me - or am I just uninformed? Is thus a common problem and I have just been lucky so far? Can the fundi's provide us with some information and advice please?

Vlakvark

Is yours the white Isuzu with off-road trailer travelling with a silver Prado that we saw limping near Mata-Mata in April? If not, someone else had exactly the same experience as you

Johan
    Pajero Gen 4 GLX 30 Year Heritage Edition - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow

Default Not me...

Johan

No, I was not in Kgalagadi in April. I do however had a white Isuzu towing an off road trailer in July. I suspect that some-one else had the same troubles with a Suzie.

According to the technical guys in Kgalagadi, the majority of blade spring breaks are on Isuzus (normally right hand side). Apparently something like 9 out of 11 breaks were on Isuzus.

I will put OME on now!!!

This may be another solution, as I believe the spring assisted shocks lessens the load on the leaf spring and drastically improves the ride. They are adjustable as well.:

In combination with a 3" lift, these are Camil coil-overs and were fitted by Dune Offroad. There are Rancho shocks in the front. This combination works very well for the Isuzu - those who know says it is better than the OME mod. Speak to Johan or Robert. Find their details @ www.isuzuoffroad.co.za.

Isuzu KB300 4x4 D/C
    KTM 1050 Adventure
    BL Boskriek #659

Quote Originally Posted by Vlakvarkie View Post
    Johan

No, I was not in Kgalagadi in April. I do however had a white Isuzu towing an off road trailer in July. I suspect that some-one else had the same troubles with a Suzie.

According to the technical guys in Kgalagadi, the majority of blade spring breaks are on Isuzus (normally right hand side). Apparently something like 9 out of 11 breaks were on Isuzus.

I will put OME on now!!!

Yip, the one we saw was also on the right hand side.

Good luck!

Johan
    Pajero Gen 4 GLX 30 Year Heritage Edition - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow

Vlakvarkie, ek aanvaar JY bestuur die bakkie...en die vere breek aan die REGTERKANT. Is jy nie dalk die probleem nie?

I've bent a couple, but never broke one. Can't blame the vehicle for mine. If you know where and how mine happened you'll understand.

I've only ever seen one break. That happened up in Baboons Pass to Willem's 300, and his leaf spring pack was damaged by some smart "retentioner" who thought you can bend leafs without de-stressing them first. Caused flutes in the leafs and it snapped on one of those.

What tyre pressures were you running when yours broke, also, was the break a single clean break, or was it a progressive fatique fracture (you'll see "year lines" on the fracture face)
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

As Sakkie implies, tyre pressure is obviously an important factor. Even on Kgalagadi's corrugated roads (which incidentally, as I understand, is largely caused by too high tyre pressures) reducing tyre pressure improves the ride and reduces stress on the springs greatly. I am surprised by the allegations, as I have used my Suzi's with heavy loads (and I mean the type where the bump stops are right up against the axle) and have never experience such problems, nor have I seen any on friends' Suzi's.Please let us have the info.

why not put tayota feahters in if they will fit and if the tayota weighs the same as the isuzu.I relaced my rear brakes with tayota calipers cause the isuzu breaks were rubish(cost R800 for shoes) and i've got a tayota crown and pinion in and they never failed, I think every brand has their good and ad parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Why???

Hi guys

A bit more information on the sircumstances surrounding the breakages:
    • the vehicle was not carrying any weight
    • tyre pressure were down to 1.4 Bar
    • the corrugations on the roads north and south of Nossob were 'mountainous'
    However: I suspect that both breakages were secondary ones. We did a Namib crossing in April (along with Eben Delport of Uri), Then the vehicled were quite heavily laden, but the tracks were good. As far as I can remember there were very little 'knocks' that the bakkie took. After that we also dit the Kalahari Mountainview trail near Witsand in the Kalahari. Again the bakkie was not laden, but there were some bumpy tracks here and there.

Just to put the issue in perspective: when I first broke a blade in 2006, the one Sanparks official asked me whether I knew what the KB on the Isuzu stood for. 'K..k bakkie' was his reply. ' As ons hoor 'n bladveer het gebreek, is dit gewoonlik 'n Isuzu'.

Luckily my Suzie gets her OME today.

Groete
    Francois

Default Type of break

Sakkie

Both breaks showed a 'year line' (if a bit of rust is what you are referring to).

Regards
    Francois

I thought so. If you look closely at the fracture face you'll see several of those lines, maybe hidden by the rust, rippling away from the initial point of failure. This is a long term failure mode and it gives way when the remainder of the metal can no longer handle the strain. Suzies have softer springs, that's why they have such superior ride comfort.

The only way around this is to ride low tyre pressures when taking on badly corrugated roads. I'd think that it will break easier when empty, cause the effect of the corrugations is a LOT worse that when carrying close to a ton.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

I've been on my way to Mabua via Van Zylsrust and 15km before the town my Ford Supecab 2.5 4x4 broke the rear right blade. The bakkie had quite a heavy load (two fingers left for the rubber stop) and the road was terribly bad with corugation and potholes. I deflated the tyres to 1.6 (hot) and still. Must say the blade had a bland spot in the region of the break - was probably damaged before due to extremely heavy loads.

Now I am looking at means and ways of upgrading but are not really prepared to spend R15k-20K for IM or OME. Any ideas By the way, I have broken my Suzie's left blade before purchasing the Ford.. More later ons this issue
    Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread... Angels are Fools if they do not tread lightly...

2004 Ford Super Cab 2.5 4x4 met Camil's, Gomad Buffer, HomeGrown geintegreerde Cargo Slide en alle selfsorgend bybehore soos nodig en ekstras en fieterjasies wat nie eintlik nodig is nie... beste vrieskas ooit Engel 40l, LED lights all over the show en 'n leŽ dieseltenk

I dont know if the OME blades are really going to help. Why not replace and beef up the current ones and fit firestone air bags? Will put far less stress on the springs. when ome break it gets expensive and then you cant get hold of replacements when you need to. just a thought

Vleismes Guest

Default An extra blade

I have a 4x4 rental company with 8 Isuzu 4x4 DC bakkies, after 4 broken leaf springs I decided to try something else. I fitted an extra leaf spring on each side. The result was that the bakkie's rear is about 40mm higher and it carries weight much better. Since fitting the extra blades I haven't broken another leaf spring.

Oom Vic for Vic springs in Silverton Pretoria did it for me, it cost me less than R800 and takes about 4 hours.

I tried "air bags" as well, but you have to adjust the pressure if you drive to the coast, and readjust again driving back to Pta, needless to say - the "air bags" did not last on the rental 4x4's.

Hi Vleismes,
    What is the ride quality like after fitting the extra blade?
    Also, can I assume that the bakkies are generally rented from you for work purposes, i.e. load carrying as primary use?

Default Broken leaf spring

I have just returned from a trip and noticed the 2nd last leaf spring on the right has broken off. Can just that one spring be replaced or the entire set... and at what cost anyone Isuzu DC 2.5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast