Trip report 4 of 6 - Zambia leg - Cape Town to Cape Maclear in 3 months, Apr-Jun 2011

Default Trip report 4 of 6 - Zambia leg - Cape Town to Cape Maclear in 3 months, Apr-Jun 2011

Last edited by ReadySteadyGo; 2011/07/15 at 07:51 PM.
    Cape Town to Cape Maclear and back in 3 months (click here for trip reports)
    Vehicle knowledge is more important than trip knowledge imho (click here for expensive lessons)
    We will never be the same again.

Jurgens XT140 Off-road trailer (sold)
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S (2005) (sold)

You clearly need a return visit. You missed just about everything!!

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Thanks Mike - please don't rub it in. Remember, we had 4 kids and were not ready for the hard core bushcamping. But as I said we realise that we didn't even scratch the surface. SLNP and Vic Falls may be the tourist meccas, but there is good reason for that. What do you think the impact of that new road from Chipata to Mfuwe will be on SLNP come 2013 and beyond?

Regards
    Gareth
    Vehicle knowledge is more important than trip knowledge imho (click here for expensive lessons)

I don't think it will make a huge difference, personally. SLNP is still a long way by road from anywhere. I am sure a whole lot of the visitors fly in already, and I don't think that will change.

Toddle along to Mukambi one day Gareth, and you'll understand that "hardcore bush-camping" are just not the right words!!

Anyway, it is always good to leave yourself a reason to go back somewhere.....

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    Toddle along to Mukambi one day Gareth, and you'll understand that "hardcore bush-camping" are just not the right words!! Anyway, it is always good to leave yourself a reason to go back somewhere....
    Thanks Mike. I look forward to toddling along one day and enjoying the comfortable and even luxurious versions too ... perhaps one day when the kids are through varsity and the bond is paid off. But we have got to get back to more of Bots & Zambia long before then. And Namibia, Moz, Malawi, .... so many possibilities - we sure are spoilt for choice in this neck of the woods.

I think the tarred road will make a difference as people sometimes avoid SLNP because of the road. It will also make SLNP accessable in the rainy season. They have done about 40 km already.

Which amounts to about 20km since I was there last September. At that rate, they'll have it finished at just about the time the first bit finishes dissolving in the 2015 rains.

Mike

At that rate, they'll have it finished at just about the time the first bit finishes dissolving in the 2015 rains.
    I'm no engineer but the impression made on me by the new road in Chobe (Ngoma to Kachekau) vs this one in Zambia was markedly different - the Botswana one looked like it was built for the generations to come. I do hope the Zambian government has got the right people on board.

No, the Zambian government use the Chinese to build their roads, and Chinese roads are water soluble. They are paper thin.

But the Ngoma to Kachikau road in the North of Botswana compared by RSG is also Chinese built.
    So wait and see, the rains will hit this area as well as the Elephants crossing regularly.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

I thought it was just Chinese money not Chinese skills/technology? Surely these road chiefs are utilising local know-how & technology that has been tested before in these conditions? If not that is a very short-sighted waste of billions of Kwachas/Pula and effort.

No. These roads are utilising Chinese labour. It is even said, very often, that they are utilising prison labour (ie forced labour= free labour). The Chinese often provide roads "free", but demand access to minerals or timber in return.

This isn't always the case. The new road from the Copperbelt down the Zambezi to link to Walvis Bay, for instance, is to the Chinese advantage, and the Chinese are involved in the construction, but I don't think they are doing it "free".

Mike

Mike

Who is constructing the new road between Sesheke and Mongu?
    Do you know when it will be completed?
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 HSE (Swambo)

(Home) Fishoek, (Work) Malabo, Equatorial Guinea.

The story about using Chinese prison labour is indeed true. Where I am currently working in Equatorial Guinea, the whole of the country is being re-built using chinese prisoners. A win win situation I guess. The chinese will be the next colonolists of Africa I rekon.
    2010 Land Rover Defender Puma (Huberta), cos she too is big & has an adventurous & wandering heart.
    Lots of Bells & Whistles.

I was googling "Sable Construction" the company that is doing the Mfuwe-Chipata road and see they have got quite a bit of bad press including accusations of kickbacks to government officials. I also came across this useful article about the Chinese and roads. An extract from the commentary:Chike Chukudebelu writes "I am African and I live in Africa. I am also speaking as someone with training in both Engineering and Geology. Road projects in sedimentary environments in Africa tend to crumble, not just Chinese made roads. There are some factors responsible for that:
    1. Since roads are scarce, there is a lot of traffic from heavy duty trucks. You could imagine the kind of damage Cement bearing trucks put on the road. Look at the size of the truck (tractor-trailer in American speak in the photograph).
    2. It is increasingly obvious that asphalt may not be the best medium for road construction. In Nigeria, we have the same problem and many professionals are clamouring for the use of concrete.
    3. African politicians don't want to build durable roads. A durable road means that there is less room to re-award contracts for the construction the road / less room for maintenance contracts. African politicians usually make a lot of money from kick-backs on road construction."

Johan,

that's the road I was referring to. It carries on up to the western end of the Copperbelt..........Solwezi, maybe?? The Chinese are doing it, at rapid pace. I don't think anyone is expecting it to be tarred this year, so I guess that will be next year. There is a big new bridge across the Zambezi to be built just south of Sioma.

The implications for the Caprivi have hardly been mentioned on here. The traffic that will be roaring through there between the mines and Walvis Bay will be awful. However, the plus is that western Zambia, including Liuwa and the central Kafue, will be much easier to access from SA.

Those who enjoy the quieter parts of Africa might want to visit these regions in the next year or two, before the roads are finished.

Mike

Those who enjoy the quieter parts of Africa might want to visit these regions in the next year or two, before the roads are finished.
    Mike
    So I will have to go to Sioma Falls next year since we missed it with this trip due to unforeseened circumstances.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 HSE (Swambo)

Quote Originally Posted by ReadySteadyGo View Post
    I thought it was just Chinese money not Chinese skills/technology? Surely these road chiefs are utilising local know-how & technology that has been tested before in these conditions? If not that is a very short-sighted waste of billions of Kwachas/Pula and effort.
    RSG, the road in Botswana you are referring to has been built by the Chinese.
    They used local labor for truck drivers, and cleaning the tarmac after tarring, and some manual jobs (pick axe and broom type) but they actually built a camp about the size of a medium village with all infrastructure to host their staff. All machinery was brought in with Chinese logos and labels.

I don't think they brought prison inmates for this job, possibly not an important enough contract.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads