Towing Regulations - Page 8

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: How does vehicle manufacturer's towing specs fit into this?

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    the legal limit is set by the manufacturers homologation...

so 450kg is your legal limit...
    So my Campmaster 210 trailer has a GVM of 449kg. My Figo has a 500kg tow rating.

New Campmaster 210s, that are identical to mine, have a GVM of 750kg on their plates. So my Figo can't legally tow such?

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    So my Campmaster 210 trailer has a GVM of 449kg. My Figo has a 500kg tow rating.

New Campmaster 210s, that are identical to mine, have a GVM of 750kg on their plates. So my Figo can't legally tow such?
    The reality is that the homologation papers list a gross combination mass

the law says you may not exceed the GCM, or the GVMs of the vehicles or the permissablecaxle loads per the homologation.

What that means practically is that they have to weigh the vehicle to fine you - and you get fined on actual weight .

so, provided the actual weight is within GCM and the GVMs you are fine.

do note though that you can be fined for pulling a trailer with a GVM of over 750kg if your drivers Licence doesn't have the E in it...
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2017/07/19 at 07:55 AM.

the law says you may not exceed the GCM, or the GVMs of the vehicles or the permissablecaxle loads per the homologation.

What that means practically is that they have to weigh the vehicle to fine you - and you get fined on actual weight .

do note though that you can be fined for pulling a trailer with a GVM of over 750kg if your drivers Licence doesn't have the E in it...
    So he can legally tow his unbraked trailer with the 750kg rating if it weighs 450kg or less?

the legal limit is set by the manufacturers homologation...

so 450kg is your legal limit...
    Many thanks Apocalypse for the quick reply!

So I may legally tow an unbraked trailer with a maximum GVM of 725kg as long as the actual weight of the trailer does not exceed 450kg?

Do you have any legal reference you can please point me to that refers to the manufacturer's homologation of towing capacity (ie. the law/regulation that causes the 450kg to be my legal limit)? I'd be interested to see how they word it.

(For reference if it helps, the Verso's GVM is 2125kg but I can't find the GCM anywhere, where is that normally printed?)

I remember, a few years back, where I said this, after consulting with the head of Trafic in my town.
    And a "poop"storm erupted. Because it's not legal, and I giving false/inaccurate advise.

I was wrongly told by traffic officer that I can tow a trailer with higher gvm, as long as I load it below limit of my vechile's tow limit.

Now, you, one of the people whom corrected me, says exactly what I've wrongly said....
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    I remember, a few years back, where I said this, after consulting with the head of Trafic in my town.
    And a "poop"storm erupted. Because it's not legal, and I giving false/inaccurate advise.

I was wrongly told by traffic officer that I can tow a trailer with higher gvm, as long as I load it below limit of my vechile's tow limit.

Now, you, one of the people whom corrected me, says exactly what I've wrongly said....
    I remember those posts, that's why I am also now confused...

Default Re: Towing Regulations

Hi There

I read through a lot of this thread, but it remains as clear as mud for me. So I will ask a direct question and hope for help

The following are the Facts
    Driver License: EB
    Trailer: Conqueror Companion - GVM per Plate = 1,800kg AND Braked
    Towing Vehicle: Audi A4 Allroad
    GVM 2,240kg
    Tarre 1,430kg
    Manufacturers towing capacity 2,100kg

I know the manufacturers capacity is an indication of the mechanical ability of the car, and this is not aligned with South African road regulations. Therefore my question to the community. Can I tow this trailer with this car?

My understanding is as follows
    - The Trailer GVM exceeds 750kg and therefore must be braked - It is.
    - The Trailer GVM does not exceed 3,500 kg and therefore can be towed by an EB
    - The car's Tarre is 1,430kg and therefore can only tow an trailer up to GVM 1,430kg (this is the part I am unsure of)
    - OR then there is the bit on GCM. I do not know what the car's Gross Combined Mass is (GCM). How do I determine this? Or is this equal to the towing capacity stated by the manufacturer. If so, I can tow the trailer.

Thanks in advance.
    Danie

Hallo... You can tow a trailer with a total mass of 2100kg. Towing regulations are based on braking capacities.

Quote Originally Posted by daniemare View Post
    Hi There

I read through a lot of this thread, but it remains as clear as mud for me. So I will ask a direct question and hope for help

GVM 2,240kg
    Tarre 1,430kg

I know the manufacturers capacity is an indication of the mechanical ability of the car, and this is not aligned with South African road regulations. Therefore my question to the community. Can I tow this trailer with this car?

- The car's Tarre is 1,430kg and therefore can only tow an trailer up to GVM 1,430kg (this is the part I am unsure of)
    - OR then there is the bit on GCM. I do not know what the car's Gross Combined Mass is (GCM). How do I determine this? Or is this equal to the towing capacity stated by the manufacturer. If so, I can tow the trailer.

Thanks in advance.
    Danie
    Hi daniemare

As far as I'm aware (done lots of reading on the forum etc) you may only tow up to your cars tarre.

If you want to tow up to the car capabilities in SA you need to fit electronic brakes to the conqueror.

That's how I understand it.
    Last edited by Bartman71; 2018/06/05 at 04:01 PM.
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland
    Metalian Maxi
    2014 Jeep Cherokee 3,2 Limited AWD A/T (swambo)

2011 Fortuner 3 D4D 4x4 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Et1Zook View Post
    Hallo... You can tow a trailer with a total mass of 2100kg. Towing regulations are based on braking capacities.
    You base this on what?

Default Towing Regulations

Donít agree. You can tow up to a maximum of the tarre weight of the vehicle not the weight that is specified by the manufacturer.
    Last edited by Toks; 2018/06/05 at 08:23 PM.
    2018 Mitsubishi Triton Athlete 2.4 DI-D with SuperSelect II
    2017 Conqueror Companion Platinum Edition

** Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice **

Daniemare

In your specific case your Allroad's Tare of 1430kg is the limiting factor. You will not be able to legally tow the standard Companion.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    Daniemare

In your specific case your Allroad's Tare of 1430kg is the limiting factor. You will not be able to legally tow the standard Companion.
    Indeed. You can get electronic brakes for the caravan, not sure where by I met a guy once who had it installed on his off-road trailer after he had one flip behind his Pajero. He says his rig is much more stable now and he can use the trailer to assist with his car braking making it safer, according to him.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Quote Originally Posted by Toks View Post
    Donít agree. You can tow up to a maximum of the tarre weight of the vehicle not the weight that is specified by the manufacturer.
    Then each and every manufacturer and importer of vehicles to SA wastes its money to have the vehicles homologated by the NRSC in establishing towing capacities.

Also every single truck tractor and trailer combinations including interlinks and super links are illegal on SA roads because the trailers mass plus payloads exceed the tare mass of the draw vehicle?

Then each and every manufacturer and importer of vehicles to SA wastes its money to have the vehicles homologated by the NRSC in establishing towing capacities.

Also every single truck tractor and trailer combinations including interlinks and super links are illegal on SA roads because the trailers mass plus payloads exceed the tare mass of the draw vehicle?
    If you have service brakes you can go over the tarre. If not, like in the OP post with a Conqueror Companion with run in brakes, you are limited to the tarre of the vehicle.

** Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice **

As far as I understand.

The trailer GVM may not exceed the tow vehicles Tarra, and if the trailer GVM exceeds 750Kg it must be fitted with run-in brakes, but still only op to vehicles Tarra.

To tow a trailer up to the maximum rated vehicle towing capacity (As per Manufacturer) the trailer must have "service brakes" fitted. The brakes are activated when tow vehicles brake pedal is applied. The combination of vehicle and trailer should however not exceed vehicle total GCM (Gross Combination Mass).

As for trucks, they are specified as articulated vehicles and because the trailer brakes are "service brakes" and not "run-in" brakes the truck/tractor may tow up to its rated max towing capacity.
    .................................................. ......
    Gary W

Discovery 2 (Td5) Best 4x4xfar
    BMW GS 1200 Adventure. For when the road ends...
    Jurgens XT120..home away from home.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tsotsi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotsi View Post
    As far as I understand.

The trailer GVM may not exceed the tow vehicles Tarra, and if the trailer GVM exceeds 750Kg it must be fitted with run-in brakes, but still only op to vehicles Tarra.

To tow a trailer up to the maximum rated vehicle towing capacity (As per Manufacturer) the trailer must have "service brakes" fitted. The brakes are activated when tow vehicles brake pedal is applied. The combination of vehicle and trailer should however not exceed vehicle total GCM (Gross Combination Mass).

As for trucks, they are specified as articulated vehicles and because the trailer brakes are "service brakes" and not "run-in" brakes the truck/tractor may tow up to its rated max towing capacity.
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by daniemare View Post
    Hi There

GVM 2,240kg
    Tarre 1,430kg

Thanks in advance.
    Danie
    Your GCM is half of the calculation to determine the tow rating, the other half is the GVM. As the GCM will always be greater in weight than the GVM, thus GCM - GVM = tow rating in Kg.
    2007 TDV6 S
    ARB BB and winch,BRS HD tow bar,TT and EGR's blanked,RR with dual awnings,Duel batterys,Custom long lange tank,Centre mount fridge,Custom rear box,Custom internal water tank 65Lt,Custom dash consol,Custom swing out spare wheel carrier, Adjustable 50mm suspension lift, SDV6 3Lt conversion.

Please excuse if this question has been asked before.

Will I be on the right side of the law if I tow an off road trailer/caravan < 3500kg with a C1 drivers license?

Hi,

The short answer is no - a C1 only allows for a 750kg trailer, you will need an EC1 license.

See attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Eric L
    ---------------------

ME_______ - '09 SUZUKI JIMNY - Pipe Bumper / Under body Protection / Winch / Snorkel / Roof Rack / VHF+UHF Comms
    SWAMBO__ - MAHINDRA BOLERO - Feels like an SJ / loads like a truck / tows like a tank!
    RETIRED___ - '99 Gen 1 Grand Vitara / 1.6 Vitara JLX ...x2 / SJ413 SWB ...x3 / SJ413LWB ...x1 / SJ410 ...x2.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ericl For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast