Towing Regulations - Page 7





Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 163
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Okanguati
    Age
    52
    Posts
    518
    Thanked: 62

    Default

    This raises another question.
    Or say your caravan has a GVM of 1500 Kg but you are allowed only tow 1300Kg could you relisence your caravan for that weight?

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    v-town
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,105
    Thanked: 32

    Default

    Yip sure it would be possible.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    68
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Hi all,

    I am busy going through this very painful process as I have the dreaded B license. I am going the EC1 route to ensure I am covered for any eventuality, yes it costs a bit of cash but at least I am covered. The main reason for the upgrade in license was for insurance and liability risks associated in not having the right license, a risk just not worth taking.

    I can accept that there needs to be regulation in ensuring that road users that utilise larger and articulated vehicles are equipped with the correct knowledge but what really gets my goat is having to redo your learners license each time! I have done it twice as I hold a motor bike license in addition to the dreaded B license.

    Thinking about this further and understanding that the original code 08 license was automatically upgraded to an EB license prior 1999, there are going to be a lot of people coming into the age bracket where they will have the buying power for larger trailers, caravans and boats that are not aware of the limitations they have on their B license post 1999, this is going to be very interesting to watch, sobering at best!

    All this costs a lot of money at the end of the day and certainly does not make life easy when you have to take time off work to go through the legal process. I have utlised a driving school that will be looking after all the admin for me (yes at a cost) but one has no choice at the end of the day.

    Wish me luck!
    Last edited by MichaelS; 2016/04/29 at 10:44 AM.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bushveld
    Posts
    229
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Hi Michael

    Any news on your licence? What did it all involve i.e. vehicles, trailers, etc... and cost you at the end of the day, if you don't mind me asking?

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    33
    Posts
    64
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Choppie81 View Post
    Hi Michael

    Any news on your licence? What did it all involve i.e. vehicles, trailers, etc... and cost you at the end of the day, if you don't mind me asking?
    I am going through the EC license currently, so can share some of the cost estimates I have received.

    Firstly, the school does the EC licence, not the EC1. They reckon it is the exact same effort, so just do the biggest license of the two. I agree.

    Next, I did the learners on my own steam, no need to involve the driving school in this. You even get a Free APP on android which you can use to study for the test.

    I went to Waltloo, be sure to be there before 6AM, otherwise it will be a long day. They do an eye test and then you can proceed to make your appointment. R108 in cash to make your booking for the test, my date was 2 weeks after the day I made my booking. Test itself is done on computer. Once you pass you hand them R60 and your two ID photos and you receive your learners in hand. So your grand total is about R108 + R60 + R50(id photos) = R218 for learners.

    Next comes the training for the yard and road test. The school do these in their truck at R420 per 1hour session. They suggest you do 10 sessions, which they then give you a discounted rate of R390 per hour(R3900 total). I am going to try and get sorted with 2 to 5 sessions, so aiming for between R840 and R2100 for the training.

    You can use the truck from the driving school at R1300 for the actual test session.

    Booking your actual test date is the same process: eyetest and then pay R240 upfront, you will need to pay R228 on the day you pass your test, plus R50 for your ID photos taken somewhere else beforehand. Total for actual license: R240 + R228 + R50 = R518

    So to summarise:
    Learners: R218
    Training: R3900 (Could be less at R840 for 2 sessions)
    Truck Hire: R1300
    EC Driver license: R518

    So looking at all these costs you will look at a probable minimum expense of R1576 for your EC if you can lend a truck somewhere and just do two sessions with the school, going up to as much as R5936 for the whole package.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,930
    Thanked: 203

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by apviljoen2 View Post
    I am going through the EC license currently, so can share some of the cost estimates I have received.

    Firstly, the school does the EC licence, not the EC1. They reckon it is the exact same effort, so just do the biggest license of the two. I agree.

    Next, I did the learners on my own steam, no need to involve the driving school in this. You even get a Free APP on android which you can use to study for the test.

    I went to Waltloo, be sure to be there before 6AM, otherwise it will be a long day. They do an eye test and then you can proceed to make your appointment. R108 in cash to make your booking for the test, my date was 2 weeks after the day I made my booking. Test itself is done on computer. Once you pass you hand them R60 and your two ID photos and you receive your learners in hand. So your grand total is about R108 + R60 + R50(id photos) = R218 for learners.

    Next comes the training for the yard and road test. The school do these in their truck at R420 per 1hour session. They suggest you do 10 sessions, which they then give you a discounted rate of R390 per hour(R3900 total). I am going to try and get sorted with 2 to 5 sessions, so aiming for between R840 and R2100 for the training.

    You can use the truck from the driving school at R1300 for the actual test session.

    Booking your actual test date is the same process: eyetest and then pay R240 upfront, you will need to pay R228 on the day you pass your test, plus R50 for your ID photos taken somewhere else beforehand. Total for actual license: R240 + R228 + R50 = R518

    So to summarise:
    Learners: R218
    Training: R3900 (Could be less at R840 for 2 sessions)
    Truck Hire: R1300
    EC Driver license: R518

    So looking at all these costs you will look at a probable minimum expense of R1576 for your EC if you can lend a truck somewhere and just do two sessions with the school, going up to as much as R5936 for the whole package.
    do you just drive the truck, or with a trailer attached and what type of truck btw?
    parking etc?

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,335
    Thanked: 3285

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    And the name of the driving school please. If are not comfortable post it here, please PM me.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes


  8. #128
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,335
    Thanked: 356

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by apviljoen2 View Post

    So to summarise:
    Learners: R218
    Training: R3900 (Could be less at R840 for 2 sessions)
    Truck Hire: R1300
    EC Driver license: R518

    So looking at all these costs you will look at a probable minimum expense of R1576 for your EC if you can lend a truck somewhere and just do two sessions with the school, going up to as much as R5936 for the whole package.
    That is a lot of money. My EB worked out something like this:

    Learners: R160 (I can't remember the exact number)
    Training: R600 (3 lessons to learn what they look for - I can already maneuver with a trailer)
    Car Hire: R750 (to use the driving schools small car and trailer)
    EB Driver license: R250 (give or take, I can't remember the exact number)

    In my opinion, if you don't need the EC license, just go for EB.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    196
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Good day All

    I am in need of your input:
    I drive a 3.2 pajero sport, and want to get a caravan, on road or off, is still up for discussion, but for the sake of this exercise, lets go with off-road.
    Pajero sport:
    Tare:2090kg
    GVM: 2710kg
    Tow limit: 1500kg
    Max combined (2710kg+1500kg): 4210kg


    Commander:
    Tare: 1190kg
    GVM: 1500kg

    So if the pajero and commander is loaded at 2710kg and 1500kg, that is equal to 4210kg.

    now I have and EB license, is this combination legal in terms of my drivers license?
    please explain the 3500kg GVM limit on a EB license, is the trailer/caravan limit, or is this combination(SUV and caravan) limit.

    regards.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    49
    Posts
    159
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    According to everything I have read here most people who tow horse boxes or large offroad caravans are on the road illegally. Most of the people I know who tow horse boxes have an EB license, so max GCM of 3500kg.

    Our horse box weights 1250kg plus 2 horses (350kg and 700kg) put us at 2300kg plus towing vehicle Merc GL of 2445kg. So GCM is 4745kg.

    So we should probably get our EC1 license ASAP.

    How does a service brake effect the towing capacity. We sometimes tow the horse box with our Isuzu DC KB240. Max towing capacity of 1100kg, if horse box is fitted with service brake does it effect the size of vehicle allowed to tow it??
    Member of SSKSA
    Andre & Marlize
    Mine - '10 Isuzu KB240 S/C 4x4
    Hers - '09 Merc GL500
    '07 Isuzu KB240 D/C 4x2

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Richards Bay
    Age
    35
    Posts
    433
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by HAMOK View Post
    According to everything I have read here most people who tow horse boxes or large offroad caravans are on the road illegally. Most of the people I know who tow horse boxes have an EB license, so max GCM of 3500kg.

    Our horse box weights 1250kg plus 2 horses (350kg and 700kg) put us at 2300kg plus towing vehicle Merc GL of 2445kg. So GCM is 4745kg.

    So we should probably get our EC1 license ASAP.

    How does a service brake effect the towing capacity. We sometimes tow the horse box with our Isuzu DC KB240. Max towing capacity of 1100kg, if horse box is fitted with service brake does it effect the size of vehicle allowed to tow it??

    If you have a trailer with over-run brakes (normal) the trailer GVM may not exceed the Tare of the vehicle (2445kg in your case). Your trailer weighs 2300kg with the 2 horses but its rated GVM might be more (2x 700kg horses?). If the trailer has service brakes (that work with the vehicle's brakes) you are allowed to tow a heavier trailer than the vehicle's Tare. Then you have to look at the GCM as well.
    2004 Pajero LWB 3.8 - My toy
    1998 Pajero SWB 3.0 - SWAMBO's toy

    FJ45 with fibreglass body and 3CT motor - being built

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    28,882
    Thanked: 4378

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by HAMOK View Post
    According to everything I have read here most people who tow horse boxes or large offroad caravans are on the road illegally. Most of the people I know who tow horse boxes have an EB license, so max GCM of 3500kg.

    Our horse box weights 1250kg plus 2 horses (350kg and 700kg) put us at 2300kg plus towing vehicle Merc GL of 2445kg. So GCM is 4745kg.

    So we should probably get our EC1 license ASAP.

    How does a service brake effect the towing capacity. We sometimes tow the horse box with our Isuzu DC KB240. Max towing capacity of 1100kg, if horse box is fitted with service brake does it effect the size of vehicle allowed to tow it??

    you didn't read it very well.

    EB license allows you to drive a vehicle or motor home of Tare<3500kg, a goods vehicle of GVM <3500kg PLUS a trailer of over 750kg. (and a few other things, I listed the pertinent parts only)



    the limit on trailer(s) GVM is set by the GCM of the towing vehicle. no maximum in law.




    The brakes required are detailed by law.

    <50% of tow vehicle tare to a max of 750kg - no brakes required

    751kg - Vehicle tare - overrun brakes required

    Over vehicle tare - service brakes required (i.e. linked to vehicle brake pedal)

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kemptonpark
    Age
    64
    Posts
    893
    Thanked: 79

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymondh View Post
    Good day All

    I am in need of your input:
    I drive a 3.2 pajero sport, and want to get a caravan, on road or off, is still up for discussion, but for the sake of this exercise, lets go with off-road.
    Pajero sport:
    Tare:2090kg
    GVM: 2710kg
    Tow limit: 1500kg
    Max combined (2710kg+1500kg): 4210kg


    Commander:
    Tare: 1190kg
    GVM: 1500kg

    So if the pajero and commander is loaded at 2710kg and 1500kg, that is equal to 4210kg.

    now I have and EB license, is this combination legal in terms of my drivers license?
    please explain the 3500kg GVM limit on a EB license, is the trailer/caravan limit, or is this combination(SUV and caravan) limit.

    regards.
    With regards to the EB license, the GVM is the max weight your vehicle can weigh loaded ( or tow vehicle ), no trailer etc attached, 3500Kg. But is also an articulated license where you may tow a trailer heaver than 750Kg GVM.

    You have a GVM of 2710Kg on the Pajero, but you also have a TARE weight, which is the licensing weight, unloaded, 2090Kg. When you subtract the Tare from the GVM you have 620Kg difference which gives you the limit you can carry inside of your vehicle.

    The same calculation applies to the Commander, GVM 1500Kg, Tare 1190 and you may only load 310Kg into it. But you are missing a weight measurement, GCM (gross combination mass), you list a tow mass of 1500Kg which could mean anything. By law the vehicle manufacture must have a GCM weight on any vehicle that tows, I see the manufactures not listing this on their web sites, only tow weights. The problem arises when you are pulled over a weigh bridge and calculate the masses using the GCM,GVM's on the Natis system and then tell the cop,But I can tow 1500Kg, when the calculation says other wise. So make sure of the vehicles GCM, many have been caught with their pants down on this one. When you have the GCM, subtract both GVM's ( trailer and tow vehicle) from the GCM and you will have the max towing mass.
    NB: When you tow a trailer heaver than 750Kg GVM there are another set of laws which pertain to braking, in a nut shell, <750 Kg GVM just a hand brake of sorts,>750Kg GVM till equal mass of tow vehicle(TARE) a run in brake and hand brake, >TARE will require a service brake, one that operates from brake pedal input and a hand brake.
    2007 TDV6 S
    ARB BB and winch,BRS HD tow bar,TT and EGR's blanked,RR with dual awnings,Duel batterys,Custom long lange tank,Centre mount fridge,Custom rear box,Custom internal water tank 65Lt,Custom dash consol,Custom swing out spare wheel carrier, Adjustable 50mm suspension lift, SDV6 3Lt conversion.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    196
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by discoeast View Post
    With regards to the EB license, the GVM is the max weight your vehicle can weigh loaded ( or tow vehicle ), no trailer etc attached, 3500Kg. But is also an articulated license where you may tow a trailer heaver than 750Kg GVM.

    You have a GVM of 2710Kg on the Pajero, but you also have a TARE weight, which is the licensing weight, unloaded, 2090Kg. When you subtract the Tare from the GVM you have 620Kg difference which gives you the limit you can carry inside of your vehicle.

    The same calculation applies to the Commander, GVM 1500Kg, Tare 1190 and you may only load 310Kg into it. But you are missing a weight measurement, GCM (gross combination mass), you list a tow mass of 1500Kg which could mean anything. By law the vehicle manufacture must have a GCM weight on any vehicle that tows, I see the manufactures not listing this on their web sites, only tow weights. The problem arises when you are pulled over a weigh bridge and calculate the masses using the GCM,GVM's on the Natis system and then tell the cop,But I can tow 1500Kg, when the calculation says other wise. So make sure of the vehicles GCM, many have been caught with their pants down on this one. When you have the GCM, subtract both GVM's ( trailer and tow vehicle) from the GCM and you will have the max towing mass.
    NB: When you tow a trailer heaver than 750Kg GVM there are another set of laws which pertain to braking, in a nut shell, <750 Kg GVM just a hand brake of sorts,>750Kg GVM till equal mass of tow vehicle(TARE) a run in brake and hand brake, >TARE will require a service brake, one that operates from brake pedal input and a hand brake.

    Hi as far as I can tell the GCM= 4210KG,
    Pajero Sport GVM=2710KG
    Commander GCM= 1500KG
    Sport(2710kg) + Commander(1500kg) = 4210KG

    Am I legal in my combination?

    regards

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    28,882
    Thanked: 4378

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymondh View Post
    Hi as far as I can tell the GCM= 4210KG,
    Pajero Sport GVM=2710KG
    Commander GCM= 1500KG
    Sport(2710kg) + Commander(1500kg) = 4210KG

    Am I legal in my combination?

    regards
    The trailer is a GVM...

    as as long as the Tare of the pajero sport is over 1500kg (should be) then it's legal.

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    196
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    The trailer is a GVM...

    as as long as the Tare of the pajero sport is over 1500kg (should be) then it's legal.
    Hi Tare of the sport 2090KG.

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    28,882
    Thanked: 4378

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymondh View Post
    Hi Tare of the sport 2090KG.
    Then, provided you have an EB Licence , you are good to go!

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kemptonpark
    Age
    64
    Posts
    893
    Thanked: 79

    Default Re: Towing Regulations

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymondh View Post
    Hi as far as I can tell the GCM= 4210KG,
    Pajero Sport GVM=2710KG
    Commander GCM= 1500KG
    Sport(2710kg) + Commander(1500kg) = 4210KG

    Am I legal in my combination?

    regards
    What Apocalypse has said, but I must correct myself with regards to the towing calculation, you don't subtract both GVM's as stated, only subtract the tow vehicle GVM from the GCM.
    2007 TDV6 S
    ARB BB and winch,BRS HD tow bar,TT and EGR's blanked,RR with dual awnings,Duel batterys,Custom long lange tank,Centre mount fridge,Custom rear box,Custom internal water tank 65Lt,Custom dash consol,Custom swing out spare wheel carrier, Adjustable 50mm suspension lift, SDV6 3Lt conversion.

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    Question How does vehicle manufacturer's towing specs fit into this?

    Hi all,

    I have a 2010 Toyota Verso (1.8 TX), the Tare of which is 1450kg.

    I'm a little confused about towing legalities and hoping to get some wise input on this please

    From reading this thread I understand I may tow an unbraked trailer (eg. Venter luggage trailer) with a max GVM of 725 kg (annoyingly under the popular 750kg size). Is this correct?

    However, in the vehicle's manual Toyota states the maximum unbraked towing capacity is 450 kg (very low!).

    My next question is this: does the law care about Toyota's 450kg limit? Eg. if I were to tow an unbraked trailer which weighs (actual weight ie. on a weigh bridge) 451kg would that be illegal?


    I want to ensure I stay within the law for insurance sake. Obviously it would be silly to exceed Toyota's limit by a material amount from a technical/physical perspective, but I want to know how pedantic I need to be to stay under that limit.

    I phoned Outsurance to ask about the limits of their cover when towing and they basically said as long as I'm good with the law then I'm good with them.

    I hope this makes sense.

    Thanks a lot!

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    28,882
    Thanked: 4378

    Default Re: How does vehicle manufacturer's towing specs fit into this?

    Quote Originally Posted by seven7seven View Post
    Hi all,

    I have a 2010 Toyota Verso (1.8 TX), the Tare of which is 1450kg.

    I'm a little confused about towing legalities and hoping to get some wise input on this please

    From reading this thread I understand I may tow an unbraked trailer (eg. Venter luggage trailer) with a max GVM of 725 kg (annoyingly under the popular 750kg size). Is this correct?

    However, in the vehicle's manual Toyota states the maximum unbraked towing capacity is 450 kg (very low!).

    My next question is this: does the law care about Toyota's 450kg limit? Eg. if I were to tow an unbraked trailer which weighs (actual weight ie. on a weigh bridge) 451kg would that be illegal?


    I want to ensure I stay within the law for insurance sake. Obviously it would be silly to exceed Toyota's limit by a material amount from a technical/physical perspective, but I want to know how pedantic I need to be to stay under that limit.

    I phoned Outsurance to ask about the limits of their cover when towing and they basically said as long as I'm good with the law then I'm good with them.

    I hope this makes sense.

    Thanks a lot!
    the legal limit is set by the manufacturers homologation...

    so 450kg is your legal limit...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fortuner Towing with a Hilux or Fortuner
    By Uys in forum Toyota
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 2014/10/13, 01:15 PM
  2. The new legislation and towing
    By Poen in forum 4x4 Recovery & Recovery Gear
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2009/08/16, 06:22 PM
  3. DiscoII V8 fuel consumption and towing?
    By PolarBear in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2008/10/06, 07:39 PM
  4. Towing Bush-Baby trailer with Ford Bantam
    By ZR6SGN in forum Camping, Fridges, Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008/05/06, 01:42 PM
  5. 2800tdi for towing?
    By lostprophet in forum Mitsubishi
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2008/05/04, 09:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •