Towing Regulations - Page 5

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

You can legaly tow more than the vehicles tare weight, but you now have to incorporate the braking laws to use it. 750kg or less, none required, from 750kg to tare mass of vehicle, run in brake, for a EB license, from vehicle tare mass to 3500kg, a service brake, which is activated by the same brake pedal as for the tow vehicle. Simply, if the driver of the tow vehicle applys brakes, all the brakes will work as one. But the tow vehicle must still must have the required manufactures tow rating. That is tow vehicle GCM minus GVM is more than the trailer GVM you need to pull, but not exceed 3500kg, here is where a different licence would be required to higher.
    2007 TDV6 S
    ARB BB and winch,BRS HD tow bar,TT and EGR's blanked,RR with dual awnings,Duel batterys,Custom long lange tank,Centre mount fridge,Custom rear box,Custom internal water tank 65Lt,Custom dash consol,Custom swing out spare wheel carrier, Adjustable 50mm suspension lift, SDV6 3Lt conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Sort of. You need the GCM (gross combination mass) and deduct the GVM (Gross vehicle mass) to get the max allowable tow mass.

All those figures tell you is the load your vehicle can carry, which is 1374kg which includes your spare wheel, passengers, Driver, tow hitch induced weight and fuel....

According to the law ,is seems that you cannot tow more than 1.66 tonnes, check your GCM minus GVM though. Most bakkies in South Africa are limited to 1.5 tonnes tow weight by the manufacturer.
    not quite.

you may not exceed the GCM.

so, if there is nothing in the vehcile you can pull it instead, provided you do not exceed the trailer GVM

but, if the Trailers real weighed mass exceeds the Tare of the drawing vehicle it must have service brakes (not overrun brakes)

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    not quite.

you may not exceed the GCM.

so, if there is nothing in the vehcile you can pull it instead, provided you do not exceed the trailer GVM
    Am confused now, I didn't say one could exceed the GCM?

Also surely you can't take some of the GVM load (if not fully utilised) and transfer it to the GCM? One might then be in a situation where the trailer weighs more than the tare of the vehicle? Or am I misunderstanding you?
    Nicholas Gibson

2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD Auto LWB
    Mods:
    ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 engine management module, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision maker." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by rneuhoff View Post
    So, I have drive a Amarok single cab (company vehicle) and need to tow a trailer (cherry picker) that weights 2,7ton.. So this and the vehicle weigh around 4,3ton

What license do I need to tow this?

Thank you.
    the um thing is usually wrong in that it lists a towing capacity calculated by deducting GVM from GCM.

but the info is: http://www.um.co.za/specifications/v...x2_(2011).aspx

Tare 1686kg
    GVM 3040 kg
    GCM = 3040kg + 2800kg = 5840kg

so - if you are towing with this Amarok and your trailer has a GVM of less than 750kg it does not need a brake

if the trailer has a GVM of over 750kg and physically weighs less than 1686kg it must have an over run brake plus the trailer must have a GVM of greater that 1686kg

if it weighs more than 1686kg it must have a service brake (i.e. linked to the tow vehicle's brakes) and the entire combination of vehcile with load and trailer with load may not exceed 5840kg and the total mass of the trailer and it's load may not exceed the GVM of the trailer

It goes without saying that you may not exceed the GVM of the vehicle either, and it is weighed with the trailer on.

you may also not exceed the maximum mass of each axle....

for this you require an EB licence.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2015/02/13 at 12:28 PM.

Am confused now, I didn't say one could exceed the GCM?

Also surely you can't take some of the GVM load (if not fully utilised) and transfer it to the GCM? One might then be in a situation where the trailer weighs more than the tare of the vehicle? Or am I misunderstanding you?
    what I am saying is that deducting the GVM (of the vehicle) from the GCM (of the vehicle) will give you a figure of (x) - but you can actually tow more than that if the vehcile is below it's GVM

i.e. if the Amarok has GCM-GVM of 2800kg you can still tow a trailer of more than 2800kg provided the amarok is under laden - e.g if the Amarok on it's own weighs 700kg less than it's GVM you can tow a 3500kg trailer.

what I am saying is that deducting the GVM (of the vehicle) from the GCM (of the vehicle) will give you a figure of (x) - but you can actually tow more than that if the vehcile is below it's GVM

i.e. if the Amarok has GCM-GVM of 2800kg you can still tow a trailer of more than 2800kg provided the amarok is under laden - e.g if the Amarok on it's own weighs 700kg less than it's GVM you can tow a 3500kg trailer.
    OK, I understand your meaning better now. Are you sure the officials at the weigh bridge are going to interpet the law that way?
    I doubt it, as I am pretty sure all they will do is deduct the GVM from the GCM to get the max tow mass as per vehicle manufacturer...

In my mind it also doesnt make sense that you could legally pull a trailer with an empty single cab Bakkie, with the Bakkies load added on the trailer, but still be under GCM... That heavy trailer will push the light backside of the Bakkie all over the show under heavy brakimg.
    Nicholas Gibson

2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD Auto LWB
    Mods:
    ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 engine management module, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision maker." - Woody Allen

I have an EC license with no restrictions.

It's not the weight of what you're towing that might kill you it's the balance.

You should pack your trailer so that you can just lift the hitch, it should be like lifting a heavy suitcase, if it's easy to lift or seesaws upwards then you are asking for trouble. Next, the weight on the rear wheels of your vehicle should be a lot more than the weight on the trailer wheels which is why you balance the trailer so there is a lot of weight on the hitch.

I have found a well balanced trailer will brake better than without because normally when you brake the weight of the vehicle is transferred onto the front wheels, with a well balanced trailer you get more weight onto the rear wheels when you brake.

Don't worry about the weight of what you are towing worry about the balance. If it's too heavy for the vehicle you will know immediately when you start to drive while a small badly balanced garden trailer will kill you when you least expect it.

OK, I understand your meaning better now. Are you sure the officials at the weigh bridge are going to interpet the law that way?
    I doubt it, as I am pretty sure all they will do is deduct the GVM from the GCM to get the max tow mass as per vehicle manufacturer...

In my mind it also doesnt make sense that you could legally pull a trailer with an empty single cab Bakkie, with the Bakkies load added on the trailer, but still be under GCM... That heavy trailer will push the light backside of the Bakkie all over the show under heavy brakimg.

That's the way the weigh bridge guys weigh it...

Will look for the fine a friend of mine got a while back while towing my trailer with a colt..

Flash the " Nobody knows" board like they do on QI...
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Pretoria, but my heart stays in SouthWest

Sorry to revive this thread but Just want clarification.

Licence B allow you to tow up to 750kg. This is unbraked, but what if your trailer is braked? does it mean you still need an EB licence even if it is braked?

I am fine with the towing regs as my details are:

Mahindra
    GVM – 3,150kg
    TARE – 2,150kg

XT120
    TARE – 500kg
    GVM – 1,200kg
    - - 2010 Mahindra Scorpio DC PU 4x4 - -
    - - Jurgens Xt120 - Howling moon star gaser tent - -

"Fear is born, when desire dies."

Quote Originally Posted by silvrav View Post
    Licence B allow you to tow up to 750kg. This is unbraked, but what if your trailer is braked? does it mean you still need an EB licence even if it is braked?
    AFAIK, yes, you will need an EB licence.
    Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by Platjan View Post
    AFAIK, yes, you will need an EB licence.
    mumble mumble mumble...something else to try and do ensure I am on the right side of the law this year...mumble mumble mumble

no, not true.

a B licence will allow you to tow a trailer with GVM of up to 750kg. it can be braked or unbraked.

If, for example, you are towing a 750kg trailer behind a 1000kg Tare vehicle it will need to be braked.

no, not true.

a B licence will allow you to tow a trailer with GVM of up to 750kg. it can be braked or unbraked.

If, for example, you are towing a 750kg trailer behind a 1000kg Tare vehicle it will need to be braked.
    Problem is xt120 GVM is 1,200kg.....TARE if 500, so if i only load 250kg then I am fine, but with dual battery system, roof top tent etc etc i doubt it will come in under 750kg

Quote Originally Posted by silvrav View Post
    Problem is xt120 GVM is 1,200kg.....TARE if 500, so if i only load 250kg then I am fine, but with dual battery system, roof top tent etc etc i doubt it will come in under 750kg
    if it has a GVM of 1200kg you can't legally pull it anyway (in terms of operator fitness , a B licence holder may only tow a trailer of up to 750kg GVM, the physical weight makes no difference)

it's a total pain. couple of my staff have only B licences so can't pull the trailer. really just stupid.

No, they still look at the GVM (1200kg)
    You need a EB to tow a XT120.

Or try to get the GVM lowered to 750kg.
    Willem Louw
    Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 D-4D 4x4, Full OME suspension, African Outback Alu-Top, Dual Battery, DIY Drawer System, National Luna 50L
    Venter Offroader Trailer

aaa ok, thanks ...
    Last edited by silvrav; 2015/03/18 at 02:14 PM.

See EB License - The Actual valid process.

I upgraded to EB last year.
    Willem Louw
    Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 D-4D 4x4, Full OME suspension, African Outback Alu-Top, Dual Battery, DIY Drawer System, National Luna 50L
    Venter Offroader Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by W3771M View Post
    See EB License - The Actual valid process.

I upgraded to EB last year.
    Think i will go straight for EC1... I hate parallel parking.

Now to book etc etc etc
    Last edited by silvrav; 2015/03/18 at 02:30 PM.

Do you have a 16t truck?
    Do you actually want to drive a 16t truck?

Doing EC1 will cost R6000+
    EB < R1000
    Willem Louw
    Venter Offroader Trailer

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast