Towing Regulations - Page 4

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AllanDrover View Post
    I beg to differ: The defenders ( 90 and 110) are rated to tow up to 3500kg, this directly from user manual and Vehicle manufacturers vin plate inside vehicle!

http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-file...20td5%20v8.pdf
    Yes you may tow up to this weight if you have service brakes(ie hydraulic, pneumatic or electronically activated trailers brakes).

According to South African law you may only tow up to the tow vehicles tare weight with normal overrun trailer brakes.

Obviously only if the vehicle manufacturer specifications allow for it.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pedro; 2014/03/29 at 10:22 AM.
    Nicholas Gibson

2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD Auto LWB
    Mods:
    ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 engine management module, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision maker." - Woody Allen

I beg to differ: The defenders ( 90 and 110) are rated to tow up to 3500kg, this directly from user manual and Vehicle manufacturers vin plate inside vehicle!

http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-file...20td5%20v8.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    Iirc, my series3 is allowed to tow 2000kg in standard range, and 4000kg in low range? Can't see why the superior Defenders can't?

Some of the Land Rovers are rated to tow up to 6500kg in low range - later model defenders and some of the Disco's I think.

It is worth mentioning that it is illegal to operate a vehicle on an SA road with any of the wheels 'locked' to each other - al wheels must be free to turn independently of the others, so vehicles that do not have an operating centre diff in low range may not use low range on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Yes you may tow up to this weight if you have service brakes(ie hydraulic, pneumatic or electrical activated brakes).

According to South African law you may only tow up to the tow vehicles tare weight with normal overrun Brakes.

correct and definitely worth taking into account!!

Yes you may tow up to this weight if you have service brakes(ie hydraulic, pneumatic or electronically activated trailers brakes).

According to South African law you may only tow up to the tow vehicles tare weight with normal overrun trailer brakes.

Obviously only if the vehicle manufacturer specifications allow for it.

LR Defender Specs
    - unbraked trailers up to 750kg
    - trailers with overrun brakes 3500kg
    - 4wheel trailers with coupled brakes 3500kg

Although subject to local restrictions.
    2011 Discovery LR4 HSE
    2008 LR 110 Defender Puma SVX, 60th Anniversary Ltd Edition.
    2006 LR 110 Defender Td5
    2014 Jurgens Safari Xplorer
    Renault Clio VaVaVoom

LR Defender Specs
    - unbraked trailers up to 750kg
    - trailers with overrun brakes 3500kg
    - 4wheel trailers with coupled brakes 3500kg

Although subject to local restrictions.
    local restrictions state that any trailer over the tare of the tow vehicle require coupled or service brakes (i.e. operate in conjunction with the tow vehicles braking system)

" However, should the trailer be equipped with its own braking system and fall into the category of 751 kg to 3 500 kg GVM, then the Tare of the drawing vehicle must be more than or equal to the GVM of the trailer! If you have brakes fitted to the trailer you can tow up to your vehicle’s GVM providing that you do not exceed the 3500 kg trailer GVM "

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    the section from the NRTA:

National Road Traffic Act, 1996
    National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999
    Chapter VI : Fitness of Vehicles
    Part II : Equipment on or in respect of vehicles
    151. Brakes on trailers

1) Subject to the provisions of subregulation (4) no person shall operate on a public road trailer, if-

a) The gross vehicle mass of such a vehicle does not exceed 750 kilograms and the gross vehicle mass

i) Does not exceed half the tare of the drawing vehicle, unless such trailer is equipped with a parking brake or other device to keep such trailer stationary;

ii) Exceeds half the tare of the drawing vehicle but does exceed such tare unless such trailer is equipped with a parking brake; or

iii) Exceeds the tare of the drawing vehicle, unless such trailer is equipped parking brake and a service break;

b) Te gross vehicle mass of such trailer exceeds 750 kilograms but does not exceed 3 500 kilograms and the gross vehicle mass –

i) Does not exceed the tare of the drawing vehicle, unless such trailer is equipped with a parking break and either an overrun brake or a service break; or

ii) Exceeds the tare of the drawing vehicle; unless the trailer is equipped with a parking brake and a service break,

c) The gross vehicle mass of the trailer exceeds 3 500 kilograms, unless such trailer is equipped with a parking brake and a service brake

and where more than one trailer is drawn by a drawing vehicle, the foregoing requirements shall apply in respect of each such trailer, and in such event the gross vehicle mass shall be constructed as the total of the gross vehicle mass of all trailers so drawn.

2) The service brake of a trailer shall be capable of being operated by the driver of the drawing vehicle while such vehicle and drawing vehicle are in motion.

3) If the service or overrun brake of a trailer is capable of being used as a parking brake, a separate parking brake need not be fitted to such trailer.

4) Notwithstanding sub-regulation (1)(c), if a trailer referred to in that sub-regulation is drawn by a tractor and such tractor is not designed for or capable of operation at a speed exceeding 40 kilometres per hour on a reasonably level road, such trailer may be equipped with an overrun brake in lieu of a service brake.
    2011 Discovery LR4 HSE
    2008 LR 110 Defender Puma SVX, 60th Anniversary Ltd Edition.
    2006 LR 110 Defender Td5
    2014 Jurgens Safari Xplorer
    Renault Clio VaVaVoom

" However, should the trailer be equipped with its own braking system and fall into the category of 751 kg to 3 500 kg GVM, then the Tare of the drawing vehicle must be more than or equal to the GVM of the trailer! If you have brakes fitted to the trailer you can tow up to your vehicle’s GVM providing that you do not exceed the 3500 kg trailer GVM "
    partially correct:

trailer 750kg - unbraked - BUT if it's more than half the draw vehicle's Tare it must be fitted with overrun brakes, plus it may not exceed the drawing vehicle's tow rating (some vehicle's may not be allowed to tow at all)

trailer over 750kg to drawing vehicle's Tare - over run brake , provided it does not exceed drawing vehicle's tow rating

trailer over vehicles Tare - up to the rated tow capacity of drawing vehicle - which can be anything the manufacturer specifies - must have service brakes.

If you want to pull a trailer of more than 750kg you need an EB or EC1 or EC licence.

the only maximum limit for a trailer under SA law is the manufacturer's spec on the drawing vehicle. Which is why you often see ENORMOUS boats being towed around by late model Defenders... as long as it's in low range they can tow up to 6500kg... and you can do it legally with an EB licence...

some of the American SUVs have truly enormous tow ratings.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2014/03/29 at 12:08 PM.

Surely this can't be right. My Nissan weighs in with driver and half tank diesel at nearly 500kg above its indicated Tare weight already. Surely it pertains to the GVM and not the Tare.

Not that it really helps me much as my indicated GVM is only 400kg above my weigh bridge mass.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Surely this can't be right. My Nissan weighs in with driver and half tank diesel at nearly 500kg above its indicated Tare weight already. Surely it pertains to the GVM and not the Tare.

Not that it really helps me much as my indicated GVM is only 400kg above my weigh bridge mass.
    Tare - the relevant section is posted above.

as far as it goes, I'd suspect the Sani can only legally tow 1000 - 1500kg anyway...

Yip, if I take the GCM into account, I can push from what I consider to be my Tare weight by 1100kg to get to GCM, but that is with absolutely nothing packed, or no additional passengers in the vehicle.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Yip, if I take the GCM into account, I can push from what I consider to be my Tare weight by 1100kg to get to GCM, but that is with absolutely nothing packed, or no additional passengers in the vehicle.
    the sad reality is that until a couple of years ago no one worried about Weight on passenger vehicles.

it wasn't something owners looked at, you just hitched up and towed.

Even magazines didn't worry - back in the eighties a Ford V6 Granda was the caravan towing champion every year that they didn't have a V8 in the running.

those old vans were 1500kg and up, and not one of the bakkies or cars on the road except a Land Rover had that kind of towing rating.

most twin cab bakkies had 650kg Load capacities and 1000kg tow capacity until the early 2000s, and 4 average south Africans and 95l of fuel already sorts that out, never mind luggage and a caravan.

the Auto boxes would overheat so they'd slap on an extra cooler and off you went. If the engine ran warm it was off to Silvertons for a tropical Radiator Core and problem sorted.

the funny thing was, the cars were well up to it and handled it. If the temperature gauge rose a bit when it was heavily loaded the average driver had enough brains to back off a bit until it came down.

Daihatsu had an advert with the Springbok 1 , 2, 3, 4 and 5 squeezing into a Charade with their kit, and that must have pushed it well over it's GVM, but it was quite okay to advertise that - they would not dare do it now!!

modern cars barely manage their actual rated loads, and if the average driver even notices that the temperature gauge has lifted off 'normal' while they are trying to haul a 2 ton trailer up a pass at 120km/h they jump up and down and whine about how rubbish the car is.

the manufacturers will find any excuse to not pay out a warranty and overloading is also a good excuse for them.

and someone noticed that heavily laden bakkies with huge trailers were well and truly overloaded and thus good for a big fine , so they get pulled off a lot now.

suddenly load capacity has become a big issue....
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2014/03/29 at 02:20 PM.

Still does not solve my problem, if I am faced with some sticky Orificer, with four blokes in the van on our way back from a good dining at the Spur, because then I am overloaded according to the law.

I only read half of page 1. My question: my trailer has a GVM of 1600kg, my Jetta has a TARE of 1283kg. I want to tow the trailer with the Jetta so if I pack it to make sure it is under 1283kg total weight can I do this? Or does the law look only at GVM and not actual weight while towing?
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

They look at the GWM. Even the empty trailer is not allowed.

Sent from my GT
    Kobus

Nissan

So, I have drive a Amarok single cab (company vehicle) and need to tow a trailer (cherry picker) that weights 2,7ton.. So this and the vehicle weigh around 4,3ton

What license do I need to tow this?

Thank you.
    2010 Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    Polaris Sportsman X2 500

Quote Originally Posted by rneuhoff View Post
    So, I have drive a Amarok single cab (company vehicle) and need to tow a trailer (cherry picker) that weights 2,7ton.. So this and the vehicle weigh around 4,3ton

What license do I need to tow this?

Thank you.
    The short answer is an EB licence.

The long answer is that I highly doubt your vehicle is legally allowed to tow that trailer which I am almost certain that it only has overrun brakes. Your tow weight is firstly limited by your vehicle manufacturer specifications and secondly to South African law, which states that you may not tow a trailer (with overrun brakes) weighing more than your vehicles tare mass. Which is much less than 2.7 tonnes of cherry picker...
    Nicholas Gibson

Mods:
    ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 engine management module, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

The short answer is an EB licence.

The long answer is that I highly doubt your vehicle is legally allowed to tow that trailer which I am almost certain that it only has overrun brakes. Your tow weight is firstly limited by your vehicle manufacturer specifications and secondly to South African law, which states that you may not tow a trailer (with overrun brakes) weighing more than your vehicles tare mass. Which is much less than 2.7 tonnes of cherry picker...
    The Amarok tare mass is 1666kg and the GVM is 3040kg... If this helps anything..
    2010 Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    Polaris Sportsman X2 500

Quote Originally Posted by rneuhoff View Post
    The Amarok tare mass is 1666kg and the GVM is 3040kg... If this helps anything..
    Sort of. You need the GCM (gross combination mass) and deduct the GVM (Gross vehicle mass) to get the max allowable tow mass.

All those figures tell you is the load your vehicle can carry, which is 1374kg which includes your spare wheel, passengers, Driver, tow hitch induced weight and fuel....

According to the law ,is seems that you cannot tow more than 1.66 tonnes, check your GCM minus GVM though. Most bakkies in South Africa are limited to 1.5 tonnes tow weight by the manufacturer.
    Nicholas Gibson

Mods:

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

Sort of. You need the GCM (gross combination mass) and deduct the GVM (Gross vehicle mass) to get the max allowable tow mass.

All those figures tell you is the load your vehicle can carry, which is 1374kg which includes your spare wheel, passengers, Driver, tow hitch induced weight and fuel....

According to the law ,is seems that you cannot tow more than 1.66 tonnes, check your GCM minus GVM though. Most bakkies in South Africa are limited to 1.5 tonnes tow weight by the manufacturer.
    Thank you.
    2010 Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    Polaris Sportsman X2 500

I see this nearly every day from my work.
    So, does this look legal?
    Ford bantam towing a braked trailer with about 3 ton load?
    On closer inspection the braked coupler was not connected to the trailer wheels anymore
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    I see this nearly every day from my work.
    So, does this look legal?
    Ford bantam towing a braked trailer with about 3 ton load?
    On closer inspection the braked coupler was not connected to the trailer wheels anymore
    That's a corsa Bakkie, IIRC that is allowed to tow 550kg... Is An accident waiting to happen.

Words fail.
    Nicholas Gibson

Mods:

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast