Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Calling all WK 5.7 Hemi owners

I noticed that there is quite some more GC WK 5.7 Hemi owners on the forum than previously. I am on the lookout for a used one in the not so distant future. I am thinking of a 2007-2008 Overland with maybe a bit of it's maintenance plan left.
    1. What is your opinion of the car?
    2. Any common issues(like the aircon and window winder failures on the WJ)
    3. Any advice when buying used , specific to this models.
    4. Fuel consumption is not a major issue, as I do not do more than about 5000ks. per year.

Any advice is welcome
    Johan van Niekerk. I can't spell and my grammar sucks, so deal with it!
    2010 Jeep G/C 5.7 V V T Hemi Overland
    2007 Xplorerhttp://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

No one who wants to share his experience with his Hemi ?

I had the 2005 HEMI, but unfortunately I had to write it off (walked away literally without a scratch after rolling 2 times) Actually also looking for a 2008 Overland to replace it with. Also looked at D3 (LR) and DiD (Pajero) but once bitten by that JEEP thing, they just don't measure up

On to your question:
    Fantastic vehicle, drives like a dream with more than enough OOMF when you need it. I didn't have one problem with it during it's whole life
    Taking its ground clearance into consideration, you just can not get stuck!

Issues:
    Same as with all WK - small fuel tank = low range (500km)
    You needs bash plates if you want to go off road at all, especially at the radiator

The only other vehicle I've driven with the same power, capability and luxury is the Diesel Range Rover Sport (at twice the price)
    Wouter
    '97 ZJ 4.0
    '05 WK HEMI

I agree with Rainbird.

Bought my 2005 Hemi used with 84 000km on the clock. Has done now 96000km. No problems yet. 96 000km Major service cost R6 150 at the stealers. Service- or motorplan is therefore handy!

Performance does not feel noticable better than my 4.7 WJ. Maybe it is because it is so much more quieter and smoother than the WJ!

Has unfortunately not taken it offroad yet, so can't comment on offroad capability. I have however seen one in action and the traction control system is awsome.

I got rid of the extremely noisy and vibrating Goodyear AT/R's and replaced it with very quiet and smooth Michelin A/S road biased tyres.

Fuel consumption is around 5km/l in town, 7km/l on open road and 4km/l while towing a double axle Jurgens Exclusive caravan.

When you buy used, the GC is a bargain for what you get!

My 2c
    Mine: 2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 4x4 A/T Wildtrak (Stock standard)
    Swambo: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 5.7 Overland (Stock standard)

That's why I don't go near the stealers for anything. A major service at Pretoria Offroad Centre will set you back in the region of R1800, and they also have more knowledge of JEEPs than the dealership's generic mechanics. (Don't know where one would go in CT area, but I think I've read across some names in the Forum elsewhere)

I ran my HEMI with 265/65R17 Michelin AT2 tyres after the standard 245/65R17 Wranglers were done, and couldn't be happier (also got 13mm extra ground clearance, and the speedo read correctly afterward)

Consumption quite similar (4.7km/l offroad, 6km/l in town and 7.6 km/l sustained highway driving)
    Wouter
    '97 ZJ 4.0
    '05 WK HEMI

Hi Guys

I saw an '08 WK 5.7 Limited with 98 000km on the clock. It looks pretty clean at first glans, any tips on what I should be looking out for before I buy?

13 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland (ridiculously capable) mall crawler 2.0
    (ex) 09 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland - mall crawler
    (ex)
    '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited - small mods

7. The Following User Says Thank You to addiction For This Useful Post:

Interesting the AC and window winder failures mentioned; that's the only troubles I had on the XJ!

Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8
    Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Guys I want to trade my corsa bakkie on a Hemi, now I just need to fit small tires at the front so I can save on fuel by having it run downhill all the time!

P.S the only thing better than a V8 Jeep is 2 V8 Jeeps!8)

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

ROFL, ja dalk is dit beter om heeltyd afdrande te ry

13 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland (ridiculously capable) mall crawler 2.0
    (ex) 09 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland - mall crawler
    (ex)
    '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited - small mods

Thumbs up New GC 5.7 Hemi

I am the owner of a new 2011 Hemi with the adventure package - fantastic vehicle !!

I drove a 1996 Pajero 3.5 V6 for 12 years without any problems. Towed a huge boat to Moz many times, did many one day 4x4 outings, could run dunes like a diesel can only wish for. What a fabulous vehicle. Powerful, strong and very reliable. Sold at 200,000 km for R80,000. New owner very very happy. Average consumption whilst towing around the 5km/l going at 120 and when not towing around 7km/l at 130.

You will probably ask and why now the JEEP

To start I am a petrol head, never owned a diesel, not interested – “if you want horsepower it will cost you petrol”. Further, it was time for a new vehicle.

I reviewed the Prado 4L, the Pajero 3.2D and the 5.7 Hemi. Drove all and did the necessary reading. All the vehicles are excellent – however the JEEP was the most impressive and obviously had the power.

I have driven just over 2000 km’s to date and my feedback on the Grand as follows:

1. Very luxury vehicle with ample space for passengers.
    2. Power is there when needed, and more than enough.
    3. When in ECO mode the consumption on the highway at 130 is ~8km/l. Better than my Pajero.
    4. Gearbox is super super smooth, smoother than my BMW sports car.
    5. At 130 the HEMI rev’s 2000rpm – engine should last forever.
    6. Air suspension gives the extra riding height when needed for off-road purposes.
    7. Tyre pressures/engine/gearbox/diff/temp's info available from onboard computer.
    8. Not forgetting the reverse camera - very helpful. I can now hitch my boat without any help, just watching the ball and the hook.
    9. Downside is the small boot, due to spare wheel.

All an all, I have only been impressed. Will be heading off to Moz very soon and will give an update on the sand 4x4 capability
    Last edited by dvs; 2011/06/21 at 08:05 PM.

I have the 2005 hemi bought it with 23k on the clock 4 years ago now has 110k, very good jeep only had to replace the front cv joint and diff mount. have done a few mods 4" superlift suspention 33" tyres, air intake, and bash plates, this jeep is now unstoppable off road and good long distance cruiser.

How about a few photos and a complete spec list of the options, especialy the make of the suspension and schocks, make, model and size of tyres, any engine / gearbox / diff mods, etc?

I agree that the Hemi's 4WD system makes it unstoppable. It is only the ground clearance which may hinder progress over rocks, but its ground clearance is not much worse, if any, than a standard Land Cruiser, Pajero, etc. Obviously, the new GC's air suspension has addressed this problem!

My 2005 Hemi has now done 120K and (touch wood, or rather the entire forrest), no problems to date.
    Mine: 2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 4x4 A/T Wildtrak (Stock standard)
    Swambo: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 5.7 Overland (Stock standard)

Quote Originally Posted by wk jeep View Post
    I have the 2005 hemi bought it with 23k on the clock 4 years ago now has 110k, very good jeep only had to replace the front cv joint and diff mount. have done a few mods 4" superlift suspention 33" tyres, air intake, and bash plates, this jeep is now unstoppable off road and good long distance cruiser.
    I would love to see photo's of a fellow 4" Superlift user please.
    I work off shore so I can Play OFF ROAD..lol
    Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemmi. Ltd.
    4" Lift and 33" BFG A/T
    Superchip, Full 76mm free flow
    Bumpers,Rocksliders, full house.

Thanks to everyone for the comments here - - this thread convinced me to buy a Hemi and I love it!

/
    Last edited by rodneykdc; 2013/03/27 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Spelling/Grammar

Well since I started this thread, I bought a pristine demo 2010 Hemi Overland with the new upgraded VVT motor and only 18.000ks on the clock.
    Maintenance plan can be extended to 2015. Now on 28.000ks I have nothing to complain about and enjoy the Jeep tremendously, it is a safe and outstanding towing and holiday vehicle, with fuel consumption that will put some 6 cylinder engine SUV/LDV’s to shame.
    Indeed a very underrated vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Calling all WK 5.7 Hemi owners

Looking to resurrect this thread

I'm a young man looking into a 2012 5.7 Overland. Practically drooling over this vehicle ever since driving a 2008 5.7 a year or so ago for a couple of weeks. To me, these vehicles are SO much more value than investing in a bakkie of any sorts.

The question bassically comes down to this: When doing an inspection on this vehicle, what should I be concerned about or look at specifically? As stated, this is a 2012 5.7 Overland. 98k on the clock.

Also, if you know - what is a fair asking price? (Car looks VERY neat in pictures, will do a physical inspection still though)

Thank you in advance to all who can answer!

Cheers,
    Adolf
    Loving my go-anywhere,
    V8 screaming, air-locking,
    extra high standing,
    long range drinking,
    always playing,
    '97 Disco

Adolf,

My 2012WK2 has close onto 250k's on the clock it is really a superb vehice. It is very comfortable an have more than enough oemf either towing the skiboat or the double axle caravan.

I had to replace the winder on the drivers' electric seat, compressor on the aircon and a radiator apart from normal services. That 5,7 is a motor of note in the States they are called the million milers!

What is the asking price for the one you are looking at if I may ask because I believe there is a couple of steals around.

Regards

Jacques

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesJeep View Post
    Adolf,

My 2012WK2 has close onto 250k's on the clock it is really a superb vehice. It is very comfortable an have more than enough oemf either towing the skiboat or the double axle caravan.

I had to replace the winder on the drivers' electric seat, compressor on the aircon and a radiator apart from normal services. That 5,7 is a motor of note in the States they are called the million milers!

What is the asking price for the one you are looking at if I may ask because I believe there is a couple of steals around.

Regards

Jacques

I thought the 4.0L I6 was the million Miler?
    GaryG

Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Sold

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ViperR For This Useful Post:

Adolf, you need to look at many things and know what to look, listen and feel for.
    2010 Eagle Head 5.7 hemi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast