Troubleshooting 4x4 Super select lights - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    4ePikanini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nubnubs View Post
    Is it possible to get to the switches without dropping the gearbox?
    It is a pain and akward to get to but it is possible.

I removed the centre console and the gear levers to get my hands in there. You also get a good view if you lie underneath the car and look from further back in towards the front.

Firstly thank you for this interesting thread.... I have the manual version 3.2DID. I have the strange problem that when i drove for a while (on the highway), the centre amber starts flashing. ( I am driving in 2 High - front gree lights on - under normal circumstances). The moment I stop, switch the vehicle off/on again, the problem goes away. It is difficult for me to exactly say under which conditions it is happening as it is intermitted. I thought it is when I am hitting a slight upheal and the engine suddenly needs to work harder, but it is not consistent and not in all conditions. I also thought it is when a apply the breakes, ut again, this is also not consistent. It has not let me down and I can still drive my 110-120km/h, but it is worrying me. Especially when I am towing. It does the same with/without cruise control. I normally drive at around 115km/h so it is not that I am pushing the Pajero....

4ePikanini Guest

Adriaan. More than likely your centre diff detection switch was overtightened.

Check as per posts above which one it is. Remove and flip the washer around. Re-tighten it but don't overdo it.

Hey guys,

Have a new issue that sprouted up after fixing the lights on the dash. Intermittently now the front wheel lights start flashing while driving in 2H. If I change to 4H they go solid. When I say intermittently I mean that some mornings I start the car and they come on and flash. I've checked and the front tires seem disengaged but they still flash. After taking a drive and switching the car off, I get back in, start the car and they go off and seem normal again. Where can I start? and is this a serious issue?

Also, when I fixed the lights the problem was that the previous owner had obviously removed the bulbs for the rear wheel indicator. I swopped and changed and moved two bulbs, one from the SRS system (My car has no airbags, so assumed I didn't need this) and one from something else which I can't remember.
    Last edited by Nubnubs; 2009/11/09 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added info

4ePikanini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nubnubs View Post
    Hey guys,

Have a new issue that sprouted up after fixing the lights on the dash. Intermittently now the front wheel lights start flashing while driving in 2H. If I change to 4H they go solid. When I say intermittently I mean that some mornings I start the car and they come on and flash. I've checked and the front tires seem disengaged but they still flash. After taking a drive and switching the car off, I get back in, start the car and they go off and seem normal again. Where can I start? and is this a serious issue?
    when it happens again. Locate the wire from switch number 5

remove the contact and see if it still flashes.
    ground the wire and see if it still flashes.

My bet is that this switch is faulty on the gearbox. It is sending the ecu a signal that the gearbox is in 4x4 but the front hub detection switch on the actuator is saying that the front diff is not actuated so the ecu flashes to warn you about the discrepancy.

Great thread. My issue is not with the lights (which is working) but with the wires. Most of my switch's wires are severed at different places. I cannot make out which wires hanging from above connects to which switches and if there is more than one wire connecting to one specific switch. Have some blue/yellow, yellow/blue and one pink(might have been red at some time)/yellow wires coming form the top. Al the switch wires seems to be red/black though. Is there any wiring diagram for these lights?
    Cobus
    94 Pajero 3.0 V6
    95 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6
    VW Beetle - 1968 tish

Default Flashing lights

While troubleshooting the 4x4 select lights on my 2.8 lwb Blister, i made the folowing observations that might be of interrest. The front diff actuator, engages by default, by means of it being spring loaded. When selecting 2H, vacuum will disengage the actuator against the spring tension. This means that should you loose vacuum on the inside vacuum pipe by means of a break in the pipe or other, while in 2H, the front diff will engage automatically without you knowing. This means that the front propshaft and the transfer case will be in motion all the time, but you will not have traction on the front wheels since the transfer case is disconnected from the gearbox by selecting 2H. I discovered a break in mine and was driving like this for a long time without realising it, probably causing unnecessary wear but it is not serious in any way. I managed to fix my front wheel flashing lights by disconnecting all plugs, spraying them with Q20 and re connecting them.
    My problem now is that the ABS light use to come on permanantly when selecting 4wd. Now it would come on for a few minutes and then go off again and stay of all the time while i'm in 4wd. ( This problem was there before i fixed the flashing front lights and still continues)

The rear difflock engages by means of a pressure pump situated in the tool compartment at the feet of the driver side passenger. (Not by vacuum as expected by many) The pump will put the difflock under pressure, allowing it to engage. The pump stops automatically at a certain pressure, but will keep on running if there's a leak in the system. My problem here is that the difflock light keeps flashing when i engage difflock. I tested the rear difflock and it is definatly locking but the light keeps flashing ?? (Q20 didn't solve this one) Disconnecting the plug on the wiring at the diff and bridging the wires makes no difference in the flashing lights. Any suggestions ?

(Thomas: Reposting with updated image links):

From fiddling around at all the systems I thought I should put it all together in a DIY write-up

If you have a mechanical problem ( flashing lights) then you should have a look here -
    http://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/vi....php?f=52&t=42

This is merely my electrical fix as my lights wasn't working properly
    NB: Please go through the whole thread before starting so you have a good idea of what to expect and where to be careful.

Gain access to the 4x4 lights control module
    It is easy to access if you remove the front panel ( 2 screws on top part - look from a low down angle ) and the radio

NB : remeber to perform these tests with the ignition in the correct position

** don't mind the green and red marks as this was my troubleshooting findings **

should you pass all these tests then you need to check the bulbs - further down the page

If you don't pass then check the working of your lights by grounding the wires going to the transmission switches
    - If you don't get these results, you have a break in the wiring and need to trace the fault or replace the wiring

NB: remember to have the ignition in the 'ON' position

These results relate to the above image

here is another reference pic not related to the above results

***I did not comment on the rear wheel lights as they should always be on with the ignition.***

I managed to fix my number 5 switch by turning the washer around as the previous person tightened it so tight that it deformed the washer slightly

NOTES on number 5 switch

* It is a pin type switch
    * at rest position = no continuity between thread and wire
    * between 1mm - 4mm pin pressed into switch = continuity between thread and wire
    * pressed in further than 4mm = no continuity between thread and wire

Thus the washer thickness is of extreme importance

NB : Number 1 switch is a ball switch

To gain access to the bulbs
    SWITCH THE IGNITION OFF! (or disconnect the battery as a better option - remember your radio code and alarm repercussions if you disconnect the battery)

remove the cluster cover - 2 screw in front on the sides and 1 screw at the back underneath a little cover
    NB : you need a stubby screwdriver to get to the back screw
    NB : throw a cloth over the back vents as a screw down there will spoil your evening

slowly remove the cover and disconnect the wiring of the switches ( fogs, hazards, *cruise, rear window heater ) at the back of the cluster - be careful as you don't want to damage any wiring
    NB: ALL the connections have some sort of button you need to push before taking out the wiring plug

Then you need to remove all the small screws holding the cluster cover on ( Not the 3 big ones yet )
    NB : a good magnet tipped screwdriver is crucial - a screw dropped is not fun!

once those screws are out you can gently remove the plastic cover THEN the black cover THEN the clear plastic over the 4x4 lights and THEN the black film over the 4x4 lights - it should come off VERY easily.

NB: You cannot replace the bulbs at this point as you need to gain access from the back - Trust me on this one

You can now unscrew the big three screws to loosen the cluster.
    NB : a good magnet tipped screwdriver is crucial - a screw dropped is not fun!

I pulled the right side of the cluster slightly forward to loosen the 2 connectors there first
    NB: be gentle as the wiring board at the back is actually a thin film ( see picture below )

I then GENTLY loosened the other side connectors
    NB: There are 2 big connectors left
    NB: There are 2 big connectors right
    NB: a single spade type connector ( not marked in the image ) on the left
    NB: the speedo drive is just loose and should EASILY slide out
    NB: ONCE AGAIN THE CONNECTORS HAVE BUTTONS TO PRESS TO GET THEM OUT - IF YOU FORCE YOU WILL BREAK THE WHOLE CLUSTER - I WARNED YOU!!!!!

You can then gain access to the bulbs with the cluster out - simply give a slight twist clockwise ( I found needle nose pliers useful here )
    The bulbs simply pull out of the black plastic seater with a bit of persuasion ( i wish i had rubber tipped pliers as it took ages trying to pull it out with my thumb and fore finger - IF YOU TRY PLIERS THEY WILL POP - I WARNED YOU AGAIN! )

You can then replace them and put everything back together ( ala haynes - 'assembly is reverse of removal' )
    NB: I just swapped in the A/T temp and diff lock bulbs as I don't have either ( You can try the cruise control bulb as well )

FINAL RESULT

This should maybe be stickied

Default Re: Troubleshooting 4x4 Super select lights

Hi,

Can anyone help me??

My vehicle is a 2004 Shogun Sport 3.0 V6 Automatic (no super select)

I have the flashing green 4WD light when in two wheel drive and I think that the front diff is not disengaging when the transfer lever is in 2H. When in 4H the four wheel drive works fine and the green light is on solid.

I have checked the vacuum pipes that go into the diaphragm valve that operates the actuator pin on the front diff. When in 2H both of the pipes have a vacuum suction and when moved into 4H both of the pipes have no vacuum suction.

I was under the impression that one of the vacuum pipes, disengaged the actuator pin when in 2H and the other engaged the actuator pin when in 4H. Can anyone confirm if I am correct on this?

If I am correct then why are both solenoids opening and both producing a vacuum when in 2H but neither producing a vacuum in 4H?

Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Hi Guys, hoping some one can point me in the right direction

My lights for all 4 wheels are green when in 2H, and the everything off in 4H the car has no drive on any wheels but lever is in 4H. (clutch slipping effect).

In 4Hlc the Center orange light is on and car has drive on rear wheels only, same thing in 4Llc. Paj goes into low range but not in 4wd. I say not 4wd because recently when stuck in some mud all drive went to rear wheels, could it just not be locking the center Diff?

I have check front diff actuator, solenoid gives a nice push and pull effect every time lever is moved. Is there anything i can check on the T-case itself ?

I have searched various forums to find help but only find info on the flashing CDL light

Pajero 2800 - 1999 8)

http://4epikanini.webs.com/gen3pajero4x4system.htm

i would follow these steps to determine if the system is working and what is not working

did you buy the car with these problems or did it start afterwards.

could be that the previous owner messed up badly. as it sounds it 2H and 4H is swapped around if that is possible

when i first got my car my left CV was stripped. in 4H it had no drive as there is a 60 40 split rear top front in 4H. in 4HLC the split is 50-50 thus u have drive. so as u explained there is no drive on the front at all in all modes
    Last edited by hogbeast; 2016/11/15 at 11:06 AM.
    Pajero Gen2 1996 2.8TDi LWB

Thanks will check it out this weekend. Leaning towards it being drive shaft problem as the 4x4 did work before

Pajero 2800 - 1999 8)

Confirmed today that my inner left CV is stripped.

Pajero 2800 - 1999 8)

mega cage. refurbished my cars cv. he was really helpful. gave advice and listened to the issues.

CV replaced but continue to have the same problem, where do i search for a problem next ?

Pajero 2800 - 1999 8)

u saying you still have no drive when in 4h? are you sure the CV is the correct one. The first one I installed was slightly smaller.
    AFAIK the lights are from sensors on the gear box and does not effect operation if the sensors are faulty. obviously if there is a problem with the gear box u will experience problems.

therefore I would check the operation. make sure that is working correctly. check vacuum pipes,
    then start checking the sensors

Yes, still no drive in 4H. Its drives in 4H on flat surfaces and downhill, but as soon as there is a need for more power to the ground (slight uphill) it gives me the same slipping clutch feeling.

Question:
    If the vacuum pipes are switched around, would this mean the front diff is engaged in 2H but not the transfer case. Then in 4H the transfer case is engaged but not the diff Does the transfer case and diff engage on separate systems. Or is the transfer case constantly sending power to the front diff in 2H??

Pajero 2800 - 1999 8)

I don't know the system that well.

If 4h is engaged and first nd both front wheels are on Jack's should the wheels be able to rotate? Im thinking not. If it does then there must still be something broken. Is ur diff 100%

http://4wd.blogeasy.com/

have you read and tried this write up?
    it seems my assumption that the sensors on the gearbox are not that important was wrong.

because there is no drive when 4H in engaged i would suspect that there must be a drive train problem.

find a workshop with a pit and have someone operate the car while you can stand underneath and observe things like prop shafts, CV's then you will be able to narrow the search to drive train or super select system

i hope you find the problem

Thanks for the assistance guys,

Will take it through to the place that did my CV, put it in the air and see whats moving when all 4 wheels are in the air. Finding the time is a real challenge this time of the year

Pajero 2800 - 1999 8)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast