Ford & Mazda test drive 2003 ford 2.5 d/c 4x2-diagnose possible issues

Default test drive 2003 ford 2.5 d/c 4x2-diagnose possible issues

Hi
    new wannabe 4x4 enthusiast here,recently joined.

I have test driven a ford ranger 2.5 d/c 4x2 and would like your expert
    advise,which I have no doubt was earned the hard way.

2003 with 177k,CF plates,so zero rust.
    BAK smells like rubble.
    Very clean and neat inside,body basically perfect,bonnet catch busted.

Tyres look like 50% tread remaining.
    With careful driving, how many k's can I hope for?

The test drive produced a strange jerking of the drive rain/engine when pressing in the clutch to change gear, or was that when I released the clutch after the gear change.
    What can that be?Bad driving style?It was not there if I did the change more carefully.
    I was thinking engine/gearbox mount,because there was quite a big jerk,and not the one driving

The other thing was I heard a noise near the rear,like pebbles thrown up,or maybe the tinkling I have read about elsewhere on this forum.
    Tar road driving here.

At 140(to see if it has still got it,not that I plan to drive that speed often)
    there was a vibration through the whole vehicle.
    is that wheel balancing is propeller shaft?

Brakes juddered slightly on braking.

Thed right driver side front tyre was worn and burred on the outer edge,and the steering wheel had to be held up like doing a left curve.
    How serious can that be?

Under the vehicle I rotated the propeller shaft and no shackle movement,nor leaks on either end,but the rear diff did have dry black oily on one shaft side(a leak I suppose)

The underside of the engine and gearbox was oily wet,as the nice engine bay cleanup done topside did not include below.
    it was possible that it was only the sump gasket,but it did look like it went up the side of the engine.
    A gearbox or engine seal in the clutch area would have cauzsed clutch issues, but that was smooth.
    5th gear was fine at 140 and no winning heard.

lastly, how do I know the diff-lock is on apart from a pretty dashboard light?

Please advise if I should Walk away from this.
    A very tight budget with big dreams;is it completely hopeless.?

Thanx
    Last edited by xsel7; 2009/07/12 at 03:34 PM. Reason: amend incorrect figures

DVR Guest

Hi there
    First lets start of, how much bob do they want for it.After that i will answer you one by one if the price is right.
    DVR(DIRK)

Hey, I thought everyone was out in the bush !

They want 100k

Thanx/pete

DVR Guest

Hi there
    The call is your's but i think you must walk away. In this moment and time with the seconhand market more or less zero, you can pick and choose. There are lots of auction going on , i bought a 2005 supercab with 66000km the other day for 88k.
    The one you looked at, just got to many pains according to me.
    DVR

Hi xsel7 . I own a 2005 Mazda Drifter 2.5TDi SLE 4x2 DC since new.

I'm no expert and a new member as well but I have done 113 000km with my bakkie which is basically the same as the Ranger. Only difference is a higher spec interior ( leather etc etc ) and airbags as far as I know.....

In my opinion I think R100k is to much for a 2003 with 177k on the clock for starters. Too many possible issues listed for comfort as well. If I think of mine which I have in the market for R129k ( want to get a 4x4 SUV ) with absolute no issues what so ever I'm starting think my deal is a bargain........

I do average driving , mostly tarred roads and about 3000km per month. I got 90 000km on the original GoodYear Wrangers. Replaced them with Yokohama Geolanders which I'm really enjoying and after 23k kilometers they still look brand new.

Honestly - keep on looking for something else , if you can get to R129k you're welcome to contact me to have a look at mine.
    Me : 2007 Toyota Fortuner D4D ( Ironman suspension )
    Swambo : 2008 Audi A4 1.8T S-Line Multitronic

He who hesitates ........... is lost

Agree with Dirk and CIS.
    Does'nt sound like its got a service history.
    Walk away and look some more.

not an expert but also think walk away, i bought a 03 Ford D/C 4x4 2.5 with 94k and in mint cond for R114 000. a mate of mine's mom picked up a drifter for under a 100k same year just 2x4 and 120 oookm which i hear is nothing for these 2.5's. so just keep a look out you will find a great buy!