Your ultimate (unique) holiday

Default Your ultimate (unique) holiday

What is your ultimate holiday? I'm not talking about 3 weeks at Letaba and even driving the Coca Cola route (East Africa) to Kairo isn't really unique anymore (unless you actually make it different). I'm talking about something different, something not necessarily easy or practical. Who knows, maybe we can make some of these happen.

Here is mine. I'd love to do a trip on the bike through the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. I love this part of Africa and go there regularly, but alas they don't allow bikes because "ons het leeus, honger leeus". But this remains my ultimate holiday.

So what's yours?
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

My brother attempted the Darian Gap (between Panama and Colombia, I think) by motorbike. To our combined knowledge, no-one has ever got a motorised vehicle through...........he managed 3 miles! So my fantasy holiday would be to tick that little so-and-so off the list.

Or.......to drive to the tip of the Cape York Peninsular in Queensland, and be the first up there after the end of the rains.

I guess, though, that when they stop killing each other there is always Zaire (or whatever they decide to call it next time) again.......I'd like to go for a little look for an Okapi.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    My brother attempted the Darian Gap (between Panama and Colombia, I think) by motorbike. To our combined knowledge, no-one has ever got a motorised vehicle through...........he managed 3 miles! So my fantasy holiday would be to tick that little so-and-so off the list.
    Darian Gap is also high on the list of things I would like to do. There is some really awesome and inspiring reading from previous attempts. The first successful vehicular crossing of the Darian Gap was by a Land Rover and a Jeep in 1959-60 at an average of 201m/hour (total 136 days). A Range Rover managed the trek in 1972. The first motorcycle crossing was in 1975. Some swamp and river sections was crossed with boats and barges. The first truly "all land" crossing was done by Loren Upton from 1985 - 1987 in a Jeep CJ5, 741 days to travel 201 km. The same guy returned in 1995 for the first successful "all land" motorcycle crossing.

Another expedition I've been wanting to attempt is a Cape to Cairo (or other way around) trip on either a Suzuki GSXR1000 or a Yamaha R1. Something about the idea of a superbike with off-road knobblies just sounds like great fun.

Then lastly, I would love to go to Bora Bora for a vacation in one of the overwater bungalows. Yes I admit, not very adventurous but damn it looks nice.
    2011 M Benz GL450
    2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8 CrewMax
    2004 Range Rover V8 HSE

Well, you live and learn!

My brother followed the trail of someone who had tried to get a Landrover through, including at one point hanging the thing on its side from a tree 10 feet up in the air in order to squeeze it through an impossible gap. All the time in torrential, continual downpours.

-

How about this for another one.......What about attempting to take one vehicle on a global circumnavigation, without using any ferries/ ships? So, an amphibious vehicle around the world!

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    How about this for another one.......What about attempting to take one vehicle on a global circumnavigation, without using any ferries/ ships? So, an amphibious vehicle around the world!

Mike
    This one seems adequate, now about hitching an amphibian trailer ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gaitshi Gubib; 2009/07/09 at 09:53 AM. Reason: grammar
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is diť oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150 ... sold
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

...up to now it's the 2 years assignment here in RSA ....almost every weekend another nice area to see around JHB, a few trips over "long weekends" and 2 vacation trips within the country so far...and some less nice "surprises" during the week.

In December / January 2007 3 friends and I did a 8000km trip crossing through the length of Namibia and Botswana on... wait for it... 125cc 'apteek' bikes It was a charity run and probably one of the most incredible experiences ever. From the 35 days we have more stories than we would ever be able to share. Seeing the faces of guys with 1200GS's and 950 KTM's in Namibia was priceless!

A nice surprise was our inclusion in 'Out There' magazines top 10 adventurers this year (but I'm not getting too wind-gat as some of our rivals were Kingsley and Riaan Manser).

I feel horrible that we haven't finished the report yet but here is a blog with some photos / accounts from the trip:
    Die Afrika Road Trip

Then December 2008 one of my 'DART' friends and I road our mountain bikes from PE to Cape Town via Route 62. 1200km in 10 days (average of about 100km's / day) with all our baggage strapped onto the bikes (+- 20kgs, bike excluded). We completed 8 passes including Outeniqua (from George to Oudtshoorn) and the Prince Albert pass. In total climbing in excess of 9000 vertical meters.

The next one needs to be even better (that's the problem once you start with these trips )...

Awesome stuff. My own list of trips to do is growing!
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)