Default Mitsubishi Colt 3.0 v6

Hi all

Need help

my 4x4 light flashes when idling and driving but 4x4 works, what is common problems to check

Default Re: Mitsubishi Colt 3.0 v6

Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully some informed guys will be along soon. As I have it, the lights come from 2 switches on the gearbox that merely report the state that it is in. The actual switching comes from vacuum solenoids.

Also see:
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t-4x4-Actuator

Default Re: Mitsubishi Colt 3.0 v6

The front diff/axle is disengaged in 2WD by means of a vacuum actuator, i.e. apply vacuum to disengage the front axle in 2WD. So if there's no vacuum, the front axle/diff will be engaged and you can still use 4x4.

There is a switch which detects if it has disengaged. Mitsu switches are not known for being reliable, check that, there could also be a loose cable or actuator.

Secondly, check for vacuum leaks, there are several vacuum lines and solenoids connected to the vacuum acutator.

Those two solenoids can also act up, they can easily be replaced. These solenoids either switch vacuum to the actuator in 2WD or close off the vacuum in 4x4.

Thirdly, there's a one-way valve (as big as half an AA battery) between the solenoids and the intake manifold. That valve goes bad and you lose vacuum to the front axle/diff actuator, especially when on full throttle or partial throttle.

Happy hunting!
    '14 Isuzu KB300 4x4
    '12 FJ Cruiser
    '98 Defender 90 TD5
    SOLD: '02 Mitsu Colt V6 4x4
    SOLD: '97 Mitsu Pajero V6 GDi SWB
    SOLD: '08 Audi A5 3.2 Quattro
    SOLD: '07 Audi A4 2.0 TDI
    SOLD: '04 Mazda RX-8