Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ballito
    Posts
    1,674
    Thanked: 11144

    Default Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Without going to Google or wading through manufacturers specs - which d/cab has the most space in the back?

    Which one will accomadate 2 x 6 footers and 1 x 5'7" almost-Pygmie the best?

    Also, will a Navara with coils in the back make the ride more comfortable for the back-seaters?

    Maybe somebody has done proper research.

    Only interested in current Isuzu, Navara, Triton and previous Amarok.

    No Hilux or Ranger / Amaford for me.

    Many thanks.
    Jaco Nell

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,706
    Thanked: 12417

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Without going to Google or wading through manufacturers specs - which d/cab has the most space in the back?

    Which one will accomadate 2 x 6 footers and 1 x 5'7" almost-Pygmie the best?

    Also, will a Navara with coils in the back make the ride more comfortable for the back-seaters?

    Maybe somebody has done proper research.

    Only interested in current Isuzu, Navara, Triton and previous Amarok.

    No Hilux or Ranger / Amaford for me.

    Many thanks.
    Out of your list.

    1.Triton
    2.Amarok
    3.Isuzu
    4.Navara.

    Of all the bakkies on our market the biggest is the GWM P series then the Mahindra Pik-up.
    2024 Mahindra S10 Pik Up 4x4 d/c
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillieJimny For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillrise, Kempton Park
    Age
    69
    Posts
    3,268
    Thanked: 4764

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Isuzu
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25
    Satphone - Rental supplier

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    409
    Thanked: 681

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Double cab rear seats are terribly uncomfortable for those you are not vertically challenged! Double check the headroom height as well. I know you aren't looking at a Hilux, but it's my only yardstick of the abovementioned, and klapping your pip on that grab handle every time you hit a bump gets old very quickly!
    Tyrone Ferguson

    Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ferty For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,706
    Thanked: 12417

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Funny enough I found the previous gen Isuzu more spacious in the back than the new Gen.
    The rear seats in the new one is definately lower as well which kills a bum on a long drive.
    2024 Mahindra S10 Pik Up 4x4 d/c
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to WillieJimny For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    HONEYDEW
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,042
    Thanked: 6735

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Triton is a definite No!

    Of the four that I know well and have spent a lot of time in the back seat, two is on your no-no list but I will rank the four I've spent time in.

    Worst to best
    Triton
    Hilux
    Previous shape Amarok
    Previous shape Ford

    I was very shocked that everyone preferred the Ford to the Amarok but that was reality.

    So on your list I would choose old shape Amarok.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    47
    Posts
    3,778
    Thanked: 6642

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Hold on - we all know what the answer to any question on this forum is - no matter how off topic the answer is...

    So, in order to stick to tradition, I have to say it: A second hand Pajero.
    Ian de Villiers

    Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mokopane
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,225
    Thanked: 253

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Previous gen amarok, I'm 6'6'', all of the other double cabs I have to sit sideways and take up more than half of the bench.

    Heimrich Swart

    Old Wheeler.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swartjan For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,706
    Thanked: 12417

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Jaco also something to consider, how tall are the people sitting in front?
    If they are relitively short, then you are good. If they are tall then you might have a problem.
    When I shopped around. I have adjusted the front seats to my sitting position as I am quite a bit taller than average and then try to get in behind my seat.
    2024 Mahindra S10 Pik Up 4x4 d/c
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to WillieJimny For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ballito
    Posts
    1,674
    Thanked: 11144

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieJimny View Post
    Jaco also something to consider, how tall are the people sitting in front?
    If they are relitively short, then you are good. If they are tall then you might have a problem.
    When I shopped around. I have adjusted the front seats to my sitting position as I am quite a bit taller than average and then try to get in behind my seat.
    Willie - here is my thing. I really like to get back in a d/cab. Between the Fortuner, Trailblazer & MUX I need to get in a bakkie again and reclaim my mancard. But the 7 - seaters were just so lekker on longer trips. Space for everyone and the trailer behind.

    I am 6'1 then 2 six footers and 2 a little bit shorter. I just do not know if I can find a d/cab that will do it for me. But something I have been suspecting for a while - the previous shape Amarok may just be the best.

    Really, all to do, load up the whole clan and go for testdrives.

    But, I may just get back into a new MUX after all. Its just ALL these bakkie-based SUV's are so boring.....cannot load game carcasses, MX bikes, garden rubbish, ysters, wet dogs.....
    Jaco Nell

  19. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,543
    Thanked: 3125

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Hold on - we all know what the answer to any question on this forum is - no matter how off topic the answer is...

    So, in order to stick to tradition, I have to say it: A second hand Pajero.
    This is clearly the correct answer, I am just annoyed that you beat me to the punch!

    On a serious note, the other thing to think about is the height of the bench above the floor, some are quite close to the floor, so you "sit with your knees by your ears" which also gets very uncomfortable very quickly...

    I would also say previous gen Amarok is your best bet.


    '13 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi quattro - stock standard
    '12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro, 255-65R17 AT tires - Sold

    '07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

    '01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,706
    Thanked: 12417

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Willie - here is my thing. I really like to get back in a d/cab. Between the Fortuner, Trailblazer & MUX I need to get in a bakkie again and reclaim my mancard. But the 7 - seaters were just so lekker on longer trips. Space for everyone and the trailer behind.

    I am 6'1 then 2 six footers and 2 a little bit shorter. I just do not know if I can find a d/cab that will do it for me. But something I have been suspecting for a while - the previous shape Amarok may just be the best.

    Really, all to do, load up the whole clan and go for testdrives.

    But, I may just get back into a new MUX after all. Its just ALL these bakkie-based SUV's are so boring.....cannot load game carcasses, MX bikes, garden rubbish, ysters, wet dogs.....
    Seems like thats the thing to do Jaco. Before we bought the Mahindra we rocked up at the dealer with baby seat and the laaities and all and we literally checked if we will be able to do extended trips in our sitting positions.
    2024 Mahindra S10 Pik Up 4x4 d/c
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillieJimny For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,543
    Thanked: 3125

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieJimny View Post
    Seems like thats the thing to do Jaco. Before we bought the Mahindra we rocked up at the dealer with baby seat and the laaities and all and we literally checked if we will be able to do extended trips in our sitting positions.
    that is the same thing we always do, when i bought the Q7 I took the pram with, and spent more time seeing how stuff will actually fit in the boot then driving that particular example. I ended up not taking the specific car, but i got a good idea of the space available. P.S the Q7 has a tonne of space BTW, sure the 3rd row is too small for a 6 footer + but the rear bench has a lot of adjustment, and the boot is cavernous. Derail on hold


    '13 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi quattro - stock standard
    '12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro, 255-65R17 AT tires - Sold

    '07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

    '01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:


  25. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,931
    Thanked: 5121

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swartjan View Post
    Previous gen amarok, I'm 6'6'', all of the other double cabs I have to sit sideways and take up more than half of the bench.
    I've been in the back of a lot of bakkies before and always felt cramped. ESPECIALLY the NP300 double cab. Probably the worst of them all.

    I got into my BIL's Amarok years ago and was amazed at the legroom. It was as if you are sitting in a car, not a bakkie.

    Not sure if other makes have caught up to that in the meantime.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:


  27. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Paulshof
    Age
    38
    Posts
    774
    Thanked: 1054

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Original Amarok without a doubt has the widest interior, 3 people on the bench no problems width ways. Rear leg room I would call crap though, although all double cabs are though.

    The new gen Amaford has increased rear leg room I am told.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ooba For This Useful Post:


  29. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ballito
    Posts
    1,674
    Thanked: 11144

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ooba View Post
    Original Amarok without a doubt has the widest interior, 3 people on the bench no problems width ways. Rear leg room I would call crap though, although all double cabs are though.

    The new gen Amaford has increased rear leg room I am told.
    Maybe I should clear that one.

    No Hilux because I hate to Uber home from Spar with bags of groceries busy tearing.

    No Ranger/Amaford because I suffer from trust issues.

    Which leaves me with 3 Japs & 1 German.
    Jaco Nell

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:


  31. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    35
    Posts
    273
    Thanked: 365

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    I might suggest going to a dealership, or even webuycars and sit in the front, get comfortable and then get in the back.

    You might exclude the P-series, but it's VERY spacious in the rear.

    Can understand why you disregard the hilux. I got in the back of a Legend RS once at the buitelug expo, and felt like my knees was next to my ears it's that cramped.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to franshorn For This Useful Post:


  33. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    otjiwarongo
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,340
    Thanked: 936

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ooba View Post
    Original Amarok without a doubt has the widest interior, 3 people on the bench no problems width ways. Rear leg room I would call crap though, although all double cabs are though.

    The new gen Amaford has increased rear leg room I am told.
    Agree i had 4 of the first gen amaroks and now the next gen and the latest one have more leg room but is not as wide as the previous gen


    2024 VW Amarok V6 Tdi
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616
    2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Sold)
    2017 VW Amarok V6 (Sold)
    2023 VW Tiguan R-Line (Sold)

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hein100 For This Useful Post:


  35. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Linden
    Posts
    2,526
    Thanked: 7141

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Willie - here is my thing. I really like to get back in a d/cab. Between the Fortuner, Trailblazer & MUX I need to get in a bakkie again and reclaim my mancard. But the 7 - seaters were just so lekker on longer trips. Space for everyone and the trailer behind.

    I am 6'1 then 2 six footers and 2 a little bit shorter. I just do not know if I can find a d/cab that will do it for me. But something I have been suspecting for a while - the previous shape Amarok may just be the best.

    Really, all to do, load up the whole clan and go for testdrives.

    But, I may just get back into a new MUX after all. Its just ALL these bakkie-based SUV's are so boring.....cannot load game carcasses, MX bikes, garden rubbish, ysters, wet dogs.....
    No DC will accommodate that request with room to spare.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:


  37. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mokopane
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,225
    Thanked: 253

    Default Re: Which D/Cab has most spacious 2nd row?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ooba View Post
    Original Amarok without a doubt has the widest interior, 3 people on the bench no problems width ways. Rear leg room I would call crap though, although all double cabs are though.

    The new gen Amaford has increased rear leg room I am told.
    Rear legroom was increased but the seat is closer to the floor and the cab is a lot narrower.

    My 14 year old 1.84m son can sit behind me comfortably in the old amarok.

    Heimrich Swart

    Old Wheeler.

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Swartjan For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •