Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 87
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 1108

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Quote Originally Posted by Word1995 View Post
    Why drive a defender when a suzuki espresso will do exactly the same?
    Why camp with a Bushlapa when a venter and a tent does exactly the same?
    No, It does not.
    RechardT

    Old Wheeler
    Die hard Toyota Hilux fan.
    Hilux V6 D/C 4X4 Auto

    You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:


  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,944
    Thanked: 5137

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    What is the point or motivation to go camping? Is it to get away from the cities, away from your modcons, enjoy nature without the noise of everyday life, away from appliances that make your life easy?

    Personally I like to camp, braai, potjie, moerkoffie, pap/sous etc. no music, no tv, no aircon,no microwave, no air fryer etc. off grid small camps, preferably needing a 4x4.

    What is the point of lugging your ‘house’ behind you with all these appliances and conveniences just to ‘camp’?
    We all enjoy things differently. That I guess is enough of an answer.

    I feel like I'm getting deja poo here.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Age
    64
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Hi,

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Personally I like to camp, braai, potjie, moerkoffie, pap/sous etc. no music, no tv, no aircon,no microwave, no air fryer etc. off grid small camps, preferably needing a 4x4.

    What is the point of lugging your ‘house’ behind you with all these appliances and conveniences just to ‘camp’?
    I totally agree. But I have to admit that my sense for simplicity - a Defender 110 with only basic instalment & equipment (i.e. fridge) - probably would be considered glamping by a Bushman or an australian Aboriginal... So, even if I consider myself a person who can go along with very very few, I am still not able (and never will be able) to live like a San guy etc...
    Last edited by Flood; 2024/06/24 at 10:45 AM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. Dick)

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    42
    Posts
    924
    Thanked: 1824

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    If you have cellphone reception it's glamping
    GaryG


    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Sold

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ViperR For This Useful Post:


  7. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Stellenbosch & Piketberg
    Posts
    904
    Thanked: 1664

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    I see you are a newbie to the forum, welcome. I think you are missing the point of my post. I’m not judging or criticising anyone, I just get confused when I see some with their home from home with all the gear, hassle, noise etc.

    I do not see that he, Word1995, has missed your point of the post. He was merely highlighting the fact that different people have different lifestyles, upbringings, expectations, etc., and prefer to do it their way.

    What he used as an example closely resonated with my own experience. I suspect so, along with many others. I grew up on a farm and know my way around setting up camp in various kinds of weather and environments, part of 5 to 7-day hiking (taking along our toiletries, sleeping matras, daily water, no bathing for days, etc), or offroad vehicle overlanding to remote areas, and still enjoy any variation of it, be it basic or "glamping" because it is all about what one does to have an outdoor experience.

    My wife, on the other hand, had never had such experiences before (her family was never interested in such things), so her expectations of outdoor adventure experiences were completely different, even nonexistent. I suspect that many South Africans also fall into this category.

    When I took her along on her first "expedition", I was more than willing to accommodate her by changing my way of camping, introducing her to outdoor adventures. She also gradually opened to it, learning and adapting as we continue doing it, with both of us gradually finding a middle ground between comfortable and uncomfortable experiences for our benefit, and still to be able to continue it with the other as a companion. We also do the same when camping out with other families or friends as well, likewise for them adjusting to rest of us too.

    There are different people, expectations, experiences, and ways of doing it, and I won't begrudge or take away from them as long as they enjoy it and share/introduce it to their own kids or friends to continue this.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GroenHoender For This Useful Post:


  9. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    68
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    What is the point or motivation to go camping? Is it to get away from the cities, away from your modcons, enjoy nature without the noise of everyday life, away from appliances that make your life easy?

    Personally I like to camp, braai, potjie, moerkoffie, pap/sous etc. no music, no tv, no aircon,no microwave, no air fryer etc. off grid small camps, preferably needing a 4x4.

    What is the point of lugging your ‘house’ behind you with all these appliances and conveniences just to ‘camp’?
    The point of doing that is to have the enjoyment of camping without the inconveniences?
    Maybe to some having hot drinks is considered camping, whereas others want to be able to have ice on tap using their ice-maker.
    Or maybe to some having to spend time and effort making sure their meat stays frozen in 40C weather for a week is considered camping, whereas others can simply use their fridge/freezer.

    The point is that for some people camping is more enjoyable when it's easy, whereas for others it's when it is difficult. There's a place for both in my view.

  10. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Da Bush - ZA
    Posts
    5,386
    Thanked: 6372

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    This has been debated on the forum in the past, ultimately it will just go round and round in circles cause each to their own.

    I'm at my happiest when I'm in the bush with good company, a fire and no electronic noise from TV, music, phones and for that matter generators as well.
    Bonus if there's no phone signal since it forces some people to put down their phones, scary how difficult it is for some to suddenly have to talk to the person next to them again.

    The main reason why I prefer no electricity, 4x4 access, smaller campsites, is because it automatically eliminates a large portion of the population from going to such places. Chances are very good, more than 80% I'd say, that the people you find there will automatically be there because they also want to get away from the noise and city lights, so they also left their TV, boombox, generator and kitchen sink at home.

    I have family who only do resort camping because that's what they enjoy, they also take their TV, microwave, dishwasher and washing machine because that's what they enjoy. I don't camp with them, if I had to camp like that, I'd rather stay at home.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2024/06/24 at 12:56 PM.
    Before you judge a person, first walk a mile in their shoes.

  11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:


  12. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    75
    Posts
    3,529
    Thanked: 5193

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    This has been debated on the forum in the past, ultimately it will just go round and round in circles cause each to their own.

    I'm at my happiest when I'm in the bush with good company, a fire and no electronic noise from TV, music, phones and for that matter generators as well.
    Bonus if there's no phone signal since it forces some people to put down their phones, scary how difficult it is for some to suddenly have to talk to the person next to them again.

    The main reason why I prefer no electricity, 4x4 access, smaller campsites, is because it automatically eliminates a large portion of the population from going to such places. Chances are very good, more than 80% I'd say, that the people you find there will automatically be there because they also want to get away from the noise and city lights, so they also left their TV, boombox, generator and kitchen sink at home.

    I have family who only do resort camping because that's what they enjoy, they also take their TV, microwave, dishwasher and washing machine because that's what they enjoy. I don't camp with them, if I had to camp like that, I'd rather stay at home.
    Yes!
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the mobile.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

    Isuzu KB 280DT D/C 1998 (WIP) Heading for 500 000 Km shortly.
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2 (60 000 Km in 13+ years - town kar)

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:


  14. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,611
    Thanked: 5664

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Having had a real good bush adventure with my son (and Swambo) in Jan this year, this thread has relevance. My son lives in the UK, he came for his 40th birthday here and deliberately came alone. In his words, no way was he having some ignorant, nanny state, entitled, mud islander tagging along on his adventure. No way was his holiday being spoilt by some one whining about what they did not have. He seriously wanted it as rough and basic as you can get. He wanted the shower from the Gardena sprayer, he wanted to cook on a fire every night, he wanted unfenced camps. His highlights were Lesho 2 and Rooiputs.

    When he got back to mud island and showed the hundreds of pics that he took, the comments highlighted and mirrored what has been said here. Those folks have NONE, ZERO, point of reference. To them sleeping in a ground tent in an unfenced camp is the equivalent to suicide. Having scorpions and snakes in your camp site is unthinkable. Washing your clothes in a plastic bowl is disgusting and how can you even think of doing your doings in a toilet with no flush or even a door.

    Traveling hundreds of KM in a car is just downright dangerous and having to buy and eat local food that is not sausage roll and beans and fish and chips is just asking for the black plague.

    Our African landscape and animals are our heritage and we take a great sense of pride in our heritage, and yes of course those that like the resort camping take pride in being around Saffers for a Kuir. I think there is something very unique about how we camp here.
    Stranger

    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

    GOF Club

    2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:


  16. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,798
    Thanked: 622

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Kamp met minimal so innie bos bly lekke kamp vir my dankie weg vannie stad die normall en die mauls

  17. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    75
    Posts
    3,529
    Thanked: 5193

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Eish, us BASIC level campers should get together more often.
    My main reason for such ground camping (tenting) is that one is jus so much closer to the real African wildlife, flora etc.
    The night sounds, the remoteness, etc.
    Unfortunately due to age now, and some medical considerations these days; I am more or less confined to traditional fenced camps such as Kruger etc.which are not too far from support in case of problems

    Anyway I am already booked for a week of ground tent camping in Kruger late July and I cannot wait.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the mobile.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

    Isuzu KB 280DT D/C 1998 (WIP) Heading for 500 000 Km shortly.
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2 (60 000 Km in 13+ years - town kar)

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:


  19. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2022
    Location
    Randburg
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    [QUOTE=BruceHun;5250849]What is the point or motivation to go camping? Is it to get away from the cities, away from your modcons, enjoy nature without the noise of everyday life, away from appliances that make your life easy?

    Personally I like to camp, braai, potjie, moerkoffie, pap/sous etc. no music, no tv, no aircon,no microwave, no air fryer etc. off grid small camps, preferably needing a 4x4.

    What is the point of lugging your ‘house’ behind you with all these appliances and conveniences just to ‘camp’?[/Q

    Glamping ... if you mean solar panels a dual fridge freezer comfy mattress an aircon and an inside toilet then I am all for it .. This allows for me to go to the bush with my other half otherwise she stays at home!

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redone For This Useful Post:


  21. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    75
    Posts
    3,529
    Thanked: 5193

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    [QUOTE=redone;5251714]
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    What is the point or motivation to go camping? Is it to get away from the cities, away from your modcons, enjoy nature without the noise of everyday life, away from appliances that make your life easy?

    Personally I like to camp, braai, potjie, moerkoffie, pap/sous etc. no music, no tv, no aircon,no microwave, no air fryer etc. off grid small camps, preferably needing a 4x4.

    What is the point of lugging your ‘house’ behind you with all these appliances and conveniences just to ‘camp’?[/Q

    Glamping ... if you mean solar panels a dual fridge freezer comfy mattress an aircon and an inside toilet then I am all for it .. This allows for me to go to the bush with my other half otherwise she stays at home!
    Fortunately for me, my other half was always with me in our preferences re camping, so this was never a problem.
    I was blessed.
    We BOTH enjoyed the wild, basic side and did plenty off it together - in harmony.
    I miss her so much, but now continue on a much less scale - in her honour and enjoy every moment.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the mobile.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

    Isuzu KB 280DT D/C 1998 (WIP) Heading for 500 000 Km shortly.
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2 (60 000 Km in 13+ years - town kar)

  22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:


  23. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,067
    Thanked: 5704

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Why should we be limited to one way?

    I enjoy basic camping. And I enjoy glamping. I won't frown on a caravan. And I won't frown on staying in a house on occassion. Everything has it's time and place and I will make use of all of it based on my whim and desire. Why categorize and label yourself out of experiencing life because it should fit a certain definition.

    If a few compromises gets someone out of the door more regularly it's a win in my book. The more people out camping, the less unhealthy unhappy people. Make it accessible and sustainable. Life is long and there is time to explore many different ways of doing things. Just because something is right for you for now doesn't mean everyone has to do it your right way.

    I don't feel less fulfilled in the ridiculous tent than I do in a fancy caravan. I'm out there having fun in both. To me, they are different variations on the theme. Just get out there and enjoy yourself, no matter where you camp or glamp or are just amped.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:


  25. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Potgietersrus
    Age
    36
    Posts
    43
    Thanked: 136

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Why worry what others do? You do you easy as that.

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EliStone For This Useful Post:


  27. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    76
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    What is the point or motivation to go camping? Is it to get away from the cities, away from your modcons, enjoy nature without the noise of everyday life, away from appliances that make your life easy?

    Personally I like to camp, braai, potjie, moerkoffie, pap/sous etc. no music, no tv, no aircon,no microwave, no air fryer etc. off grid small camps, preferably needing a 4x4.

    What is the point of lugging your ‘house’ behind you with all these appliances and conveniences just to ‘camp’?
    Well, I am speaking for me and wife. We are crazy about "the bush" and my wife developed into a very keen photographer. Further more, we are part of a group touring together for just over 24 years now and we all became birdwatchers as well.

    We were fortunate enough to see a great part of the world, but if I ask my wife today is we can go for a trip overseas, she will definitely ask why cant we just the Bushlapa and go camping somewhere in the bush. Because this is a much cheaper option, I like to make things as comfortable as it can get in the "bush," especially for her. We have been through them all, from ground tent, to rooftop tent to rooftop tent on a trailer to eventually a Buslapa since 2012.

    We lover camping as comfortable as we can have it.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johanvzl For This Useful Post:


  29. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Witsand
    Age
    67
    Posts
    686
    Thanked: 477

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    It changes with life experiences and age. We currently have a Gecko multi terrain caravan because we are in our mid 60's, we like going off the beaten track and we are both very particular about what we sleep on and what equipment we need to enjoy ourselves. A fixed King bed cracks the nod. If cost were the sole determinant, we would have to settle for staying in tents or chalets. One does not do luxury caravanning because it is cheap-its not. Between the caravan, equipment and tow vehicle one shells out north of R1.8m although with the correct choices and care, one gets most of that back after 5 years. It just suits us to have all our personal stuff in one place everytime with no packing and unpacking and minimal work making and breaking camp. Everything works, we never het wet, nothing is missing and everything is clean. Its organised.

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob wilson For This Useful Post:


  31. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2024
    Location
    Hart
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 8

    Wink Re: Camping or glamping?

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    I see you are a newbie to the forum, welcome. I think you are missing the point of my post. I’m not judging or criticising anyone, I just get confused when I see some with their home from home with all the gear, hassle, noise etc.

    My point is why take your ‘house’ camping, all the modcons etc. There is a difference between going to a resort, this is not camping in the true sense of the word but a gathering. Also a difference between touring with your van and camping in different parts of the country for a longer period of time. sometimes you then need that bit of extra like the air fryer. I don’t see the requirement for a microwave as I don’t even use one at home. If you off grid then these obviously don’t make sense either. Kids also bring a different dimension to the equation.

    Shorter trips, weekend getaway camping, in the bush, have your camping gear ready, set up in 20 minutes, breakdown in 20, get home and not have to unpack and clean all your kit for a day.
    Okay okay, I get what you mean!
    As mentioned my examples are not foolproof but it comes down to what you opinion on camping is and we need to respect that people have different meanings.

    I see this is however a very polarising and dividinf topic 😅😂
    Last edited by Word1995; 2024/06/24 at 06:27 PM.

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Word1995 For This Useful Post:


  33. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    49
    Posts
    275
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    Getting into the outdoors in which ever form works for you.
    Why do we always feel the need to break down other people and their perspective/preferences.
    I may not agree with what the next person sees as camping or glamping,but how cares.
    Main thing is as long as my family and I enjoy it.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schoemie For This Useful Post:


  35. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Plett
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,371
    Thanked: 4794

    Default Re: Camping or glamping?

    So the bottom line is: there is camping and there is glamping😁
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •