Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Camping or glamping?

What is the point or motivation to go camping? Is it to get away from the cities, away from your modcons, enjoy nature without the noise of everyday life, away from appliances that make your life easy?

Personally I like to camp, braai, potjie, moerkoffie, pap/sous etc. no music, no tv, no aircon,no microwave, no air fryer etc. off grid small camps, preferably needing a 4x4.

What is the point of lugging your Ďhouseí behind you with all these appliances and conveniences just to Ďcampí?
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Camping or glamping?

There is a certain challenge in camping and with it comes it's pro's and cons.
    The point of it mostly is to get out, have a change of pace etc. so the way you do it shouldn't matter really.
    If I go on dam fishing trips I like to stay in Chalets, they are easier to use when lugging extra equipment and I don't have to leave my float tube outside overnight.
    When I go river fishing then camping is perfect because there is no extra gear.

Some people don't like sleeping on the floor so a caravan helps in that area. It's also simply convenient.
    You shouldn't have to suffer when going camping and while some of us don't see the extra work of camping as difficult, others see it as a shlep and they'd rather keep the comfort of home but have it in the mountains.

At the end of the day you're asking why someone is wearing shoes instead of slops, shorts instead of jeans, or has a sedan instead of a SUV. At the end of the day to each his own.

What do you consider as glamping? Camping for me is taking my caravan with all its niceties out. This would be glamping.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20240622-WA0003.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	724994

Alfa Romeo Stelvio - Bellissimo!
    Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8 (sold)
    Alfa Romeo MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde (sold but still near to me)
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

A friend Lucas Ledwaba Once thought me something really important which I always remember when travelling And that I apply to my camping too and any time I go away.

He said donít try take Joburg (the city) to the village, ie the mentality of the city, or wanting the conveniences and luxuries of the city to be with you in the village.

Youíll miss the entire experience of where you are while trying to replicate what your familiar with (from the city) when you are after comforts, it wont allow you to get out of your comfort zone to embrace something new / different.

Iím forever grateful to my friend for this lesson as itís allowed me to travel so much more simpler, freer with Lillyís worry and has allowed me to embrace the simplicity of life wherever I am.

And maybe to your point camping allows us to get to the basics which kindle connection with whatís important in our selves and with nature which when living in the city we are robbed of.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delwynv For This Useful Post:

Why drive a defender when a suzuki espresso will do exactly the same?
    Why camp with a Bushlapa when a venter and a tent does exactly the same?

Yes there are flaws in this comparison but my point is, different strokes for different okes. I would camp with absolutely nothing but fresh water and dry brood and biltong for weeks. My wife on the other hand did not grow up camping so we camp a little more luxurious, and honestly i enjoy it just the same! Camping is about changing up the norm, getting out of the hustle and the bustle. But not always, my parents HATE camping quietly, they go to ATKV and choose the stand that is surrounded by the most people! She hates camping on the side, they been camping 40+ years like this.

Let's stop focussing on why are other people not like me and that makes them weird. Lets let other people enjoy things.
    Last edited by Word1995; 2024/06/22 at 08:17 AM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Word1995 For This Useful Post:

There are just so many places we have never seen in our own country. So, after retirement, we decided that instead of visiting any other parts of the world, we would thoroughly explore southern Africa.

Our motivation to camp therefore is to achieve this objective because first of all we have always loved to camp / caravan and secondly its the only way we could afford this adventure. Chalet accommodation is simply too expensive for extended journeys.

We camp with our caravan without a TV or the entire house squeezed in but do have an air fryer cause its simply such a versatile appliance. (I even get the occasional pecan nut pie or scones baked by SWAMBO in the fryer). It does chips and pork belly roasts too. Sure, meat on the braai is still the best but now that charcoal cost more than the wors, braais are becoming a luxury.

So, our motivation to camp with just the basic necessities (including air fryer, built in microwave and the 2 x cup coffee press) is to fulfill our dream and explore this country (and Namibia and Botswana eventually, maybe) that has so much to offer.
    Last edited by Diversions; 2024/06/22 at 09:18 AM.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Diversions For This Useful Post:

Reasons we camp with relative basics:

- we both work in corporate so there's nothing better than getting back to basics

- spend way more time actually appreciating where you are and enjoying it more

- get out and support the locals more

- we want to

- learn a lot more about yourself and others when you struggle a bit

- more conversation and quality time around the fire

Those are our reasons, each to their own
    Last edited by PJ SA; 2024/06/22 at 08:49 AM.

2020 Isuzu D-Max 250 X-Rider D/C 4x4
    Ex: 2017 Jimny & F800gs Adventure

A man who lacks purpose distracts himself with pleasure.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PJ SA For This Useful Post:

I have done every sort and style of camping over the years. From a tent with bread and wors to a comfortable trailer with microwave, electric toaster and kettle. I can say I hate crawling in and out of a tent. I also want to sleep comfy, and warm.

I have now reached a stage where camping for ME, is to get outside and enjoy nature with enough luxuries to make the experience simple. And that depends on my mood and time available.

If I go to a place in Hoedspruit where there isnt much to do but braai and sit in the private ďpoolĒ then I can tent and cook on fire all weekend. I love that. But when travelling in the bush all day I want to get in, stick some potatoes in the microwave while getting the fire ready to eat and get to bed. Also in the morning its quick to slap together a breakfast with coffee in the kettle, heating left overs in the microwave and toast in the toaster rather than waiting an hour for a fire to be ready for toast and heating left overs. Then you can be out exploring sooner.

There was a time when a gas cooker was considered unmanly and glamping. Times change. I enjoy being out in nature without the need to sukkel.

Same with kitting your vehicle. You can chuck all your gear in the back and your food in the plastic bags you bought it in. But isnt it more convenient having drawer systems with everything in its place?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PJ SA View Post
    Through my career I have gotten to know myself pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    Through my career I have gotten to know myself pretty well
    Should've added really test your relationship

Should've added really test your relationship
    Oh yes! Nothing tests a relationship better than a poorly designed trailer tent in 35 degree heat. Or a gazebo with the wrong set of poles.....

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    Oh yes! Nothing tests a relationship better than a poorly designed trailer tent in 35 degree heat. Or a gazebo with the wrong set of poles.....
    Or setting up the sides of the awning in 60km/h wind, next to the sea (i.e. cold) with kids screaming in the background
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 200 VX-R
    Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

Sold: Land Cruiser 200 V8 D4D
    VW Amarok PanAm V6

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Reasons we camp with relative basics:

- we both work in corporate so there's nothing better than getting back to basics

- spend way more time actually appreciating where you are and enjoying it more

- get out and support the locals more

- we want to

- more conversation and quality time around the fire

Those are our reasons, each to their own
    You must have easy lives if you go camping to get some struggle in
    Last edited by Spectaitor; 2024/06/22 at 09:16 AM.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spectaitor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spectaitor View Post
    You must have easy lives if you go camping to get some struggle in
    Probably could've worded that a lot better now I sound like a trust fund baby

More referring to when I lived in the bush.
    Last edited by PJ SA; 2024/06/22 at 09:24 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to PJ SA For This Useful Post:

We loved camping when we were younger, and the cost was affordable. Now that we are older, we prefer to go to self-catering tented camps where we only need to lug our food and clothing. No making camp or dismantling camp. One can still braai and sit outside plus you have facilities like showers and flush toilets. The wild outdoors is on your doorstep. The cost comparison of clamping in Self Catering establishments over a few years is nothing really compared to funds layout for caravans or camper units that are on the market.
    Regards

MikevR

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

Caravans are expensive yes. But in many cases the caravan can be sold for the original purchase price after 5 or 7 years.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Word1995 View Post
    Why drive a defender when a suzuki espresso will do exactly the same?
    Why camp with a Bushlapa when a venter and a tent does exactly the same?

Yes there are flaws in this comparison but my point is, different strokes for different okes. I would camp with absolutely nothing but fresh water and dry brood and biltong for weeks. My wife on the other hand did not grow up camping so we camp a little more luxurious, and honestly i enjoy it just the same! Camping is about changing up the norm, getting out of the hustle and the bustle. But not always, my parents HATE camping quietly, they go to ATKV and choose the stand that is surrounded by the most people! She hates camping on the side, they been camping 40+ years like this.

Let's stop focussing on why are other people not like me and that makes them weird. Letís let other people enjoy things.
    I see you are a newbie to the forum, welcome. I think you are missing the point of my post. Iím not judging or criticising anyone, I just get confused when I see some with their home from home with all the gear, hassle, noise etc.

My point is why take your Ďhouseí camping, all the modcons etc. There is a difference between going to a resort, this is not camping in the true sense of the word but a gathering. Also a difference between touring with your van and camping in different parts of the country for a longer period of time. sometimes you then need that bit of extra like the air fryer. I donít see the requirement for a microwave as I donít even use one at home. If you off grid then these obviously donít make sense either. Kids also bring a different dimension to the equation.

Shorter trips, weekend getaway camping, in the bush, have your camping gear ready, set up in 20 minutes, breakdown in 20, get home and not have to unpack and clean all your kit for a day.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

I camp to de-stress.

Nothing works better than a bush tv in the middle of nowhere.

My mobile goes off when I cross the border and nobody can bug me. Star link se moer - I wonít turn it on.

Itís the few weeks each year when I can just relax and enjoy with no ### from anyone. Unless my mother comes along which is a different level of stress.

To me itís the unwinding.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to dilligafrican For This Useful Post:

This is all I need and could do it for weeks, Oh and to add it must be away from every one else I donít want to go out camping and hear the noise of the others with there music or drunken behaviour,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4174.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	455.5 KB 
ID:	725002  
    Last edited by clivemd; 2024/06/22 at 11:00 AM.
    2002 Defender with 300TDi VNT modified
    2005 Defender TD5 CR VNT turbo, Ashcroft lockers,HD CW&P, HD side shafts & CV and Pegged, 35Ē coppers STT pro ÖÖÖ..and more

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    I see you are a newbie to the forum, welcome. I think you are missing the point of my post. Iím not judging or criticising anyone, I just get confused when I see some with their home from home with all the gear, hassle, noise etc.

My point is why take your Ďhouseí camping, all the modcons etc. There is a difference between going to a resort, this is not camping in the true sense of the word but a gathering. Also a difference between touring with your van and camping in different parts of the country for a longer period of time. sometimes you then need that bit of extra like the air fryer. I donít see the requirement for a microwave as I donít even use one at home. If you off grid then these obviously donít make sense either. Kids also bring a different dimension to the equation.

Shorter trips, weekend getaway camping, in the bush, have your camping gear ready, set up in 20 minutes, breakdown in 20, get home and not have to unpack and clean all your kit for a day.
    You question does have some judgement since you've insinuated that it is not the right way to do it. Doesn't matter though because judgement is good, it's how you pick what to eat for breakfast and who you wake up in bed with.

I think the only thing that matters is that camping/glamping is defined more by where you go than how you do it.
    If the point of camping was to put up a tent, then everyone would camp every weekend in their backyard. The only people that do that are kids that I've seen. For adults who are wholly familiar with their back yards, camping is about being out in nature in unfamiliar places.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spectaitor For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast