Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Camping or glamping?

... Camp 1.0 ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BAF58325-6049-4239-8792-DEC06ED4EF53.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	725658  
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

A Boys trip = stretcher, roll up mattress & sleeping bag. In all honesty I hate setting up a ground tent. Nylon lightweight tents are pointless if a mild breeze picks up & canvas tents are heavy. Only time I will take a tent with is if I know its going to be proper cold or we setting up camp in one place for more than 2 nights. Rest of the time it's stretcher under the awning.

Wife & kids trip = GT Camper or self catering chalet. Again I go on holiday to relax & reset. I don't want to be struggling with inflatable mattresses & hot tents.

The one thing I will never go camping without is my fridge. I want my meat & beers cold, not wet from melted ice. Also proper lights. I live being out in the bush, but I also want to be able see my food when I'm cooking and eating.
    Current: 2017 Toyota Prado VX 4.0L V6
    Previous:
    '19 Legend 50 D/C auto 4x4 - Did not get a name.
    06 Prado VX - Nickname Bruce
    '05 Ford Ranger Supercab 2.5TD XLT - Big Joe
    '06 Fiesta ST - Thor
    '97 Mazda 1300 rustler - Joe
    '81 1100 2door VW golfie - Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by Spectaitor View Post
    You question does have some judgement since you've insinuated that it is not the right way to do it. Doesn't matter though because judgement is good, it's how you pick what to eat for breakfast and who you wake up in bed with.

I think the only thing that matters is that camping/glamping is defined more by where you go than how you do it.
    If the point of camping was to put up a tent, then everyone would camp every weekend in their backyard. The only people that do that are kids that I've seen. For adults who are wholly familiar with their back yards, camping is about being out in nature in unfamiliar places.

My motto is also to leave the home at home, camp as basic as possible, take just what is essential and travel light. This way I experience real nature and enjoy real camping. When back home one appreciates
    the luxuries again.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Or setting up the sides of the awning in 60km/h wind, next to the sea (i.e. cold) with kids screaming in the background
    We love camping in a tent on the ground and have a four person tent with a front vestibule which we use as a bathroom, kitchen, porch and storage space. They only difficulty we have ever had is with strong coastal winds so we use our bulky old Land Cruiser as a wind break to set up the tent. Worked for us so far. Since we are pushing 80 years old we don't have to worry about the kids anymore!

As so many have said. Each to their own"

If you asked me 5 years ago about a caravan I would have said work harder and pay for a bungalow. On trips I had a pop-up tent and really just the basics to keep me alive!

But life has changed and we have a 2 year old! Now its a fully kitted self sufficient offroad caravan that I actually love! It makes life so much easier with the little one in off grid places and best sleep you will have in the bush!

Also now wife has started studying part time with online classes, so I ordered a Saterlink. Just because if she doesn't have comms we will need to stay home and cannot venture into the bush! So we must compromise and adjust as life requires.

Also driving a Landy it is vital to have coms to call the towtruck!!!
    Adriaan

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RangeRover For This Useful Post:

Just me with the boys
    Fridge in the bak with beer, hammock, sleeping bag, elec blanket for mid winter camps, MREs

With the family, 4 days of packing, 8 days of unpacking, 3 hours to setup camp, always forget the most important stuff at home, will only rest when I get home on Sunday afternoon. Family loves it.
    amidoinitrite?
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

I'm a moron, but humour me.

GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    (4x4) Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual + 2017 XL Auto, Haval H9
    Ex 320d E90, Maz MPS 2.3 DISI, CITI Golf MKI,
    Ford Anglia 307E in British racing green, my first car ❤

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5