Default Camping at Kuhubu

My folks are getting on a bit in terms of years and have a few bucket list items they want to check off whilst touring is still feasible.

They've asked me, at relevantly short noticed to knock together a trip for them. Suits me - I've not done the "gatskuur" thing for too long and it will be nice to get to Bots again...

I'm working around their itinerary and this includes a night's camping at Khubu island. I'd probably have done things a little differently, but it is their wish....

I've not stayed at Khubu before. Google gives me this: http://www.kubuisland.com/ But I'm not a particularly trustful person in terms of greater internets - especially when there is not even an SSL cert in place...

Anybody who has camped Khubu before, how does one book and how does one pay ?

Thanksastack.

Ian
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

Default Re: Camping at Kuhubu

You just pitch up, there’s always place.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Email them. [email protected]

I wouldn't just pitch up. When we were there three weeks ago most of the campsites were taken. I would definitely go for more than one night, it's a bit of a mission to get there from Maun (ie one day), a bit quicker from the Serowe side.
    Last edited by zoneout; 2024/06/19 at 01:51 PM.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zoneout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    Email them. [email protected]

I wouldn't just pitch up. When we were there three weeks ago most of the campsites were taken. I would definitely go for more than one night, it's a bit of a mission to get there from Maun (ie one day), a bit quicker from the Serowe side.
    This is what I was looking for. Thanks muchly. I shall mail them.

Payment ? Up front ? Do they have card facilities etc ?
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    This is what I was looking for. Thanks muchly. I shall mail them.

Payment ? Up front ? Do they have card facilities etc ?
    No credit card unfortunately. We did a EFT into a Bots bank account.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Hi,
    I really didn't like Kubu, the place is great and it seems to be a destination/bucket-list spot.
    You mention that your folks are fairly old ( Guessing 75ish ?)
    Kubu when full is a nightmare and people will use any rock,bush for a toilet,
    The "rocket huts" provided are small and personally ,I wouldn't use them either .

I really think this could make your folks feel a bit unpleasent and uncomfortable.

I'm not sure where you are coming from and were you are going, but maybe explore Kukonje Island,
    its more remote and the camps are far apart and there is a lot more privacy, also a great place with views on the pan and big trees... and its free camping !!

I really thnk they will be more comfy there?

Just remember...both campsites have no water..bring your own

Cheers Mikealan

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikealan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikealan View Post
    Hi,
    I really didn't like Kubu, the place is great and it seems to be a destination/bucket-list spot.
    The "rocket huts" provided are small and personally ,I wouldn't use them either .

I really think this could make your folks feel a bit unpleasent and uncomfortable.

I'm not sure where you are coming from and were you are going, but maybe explore Kukonje Island,
    its more remote and the camps are far apart and there is a lot more privacy, also a great place with views on the pan and big trees... and its free camping !!

Cheers Mikealan
    I had similar feelings, though maybe not that strong, and we did still love it (and I had my octogenarian in-laws with us, they loved it). It's nothing like the old Kubu though.....but thats tourism for you.

I am super keen on Kukonje next time, it looks great.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

"When a clown enters a palace, he does not turn into a prince, the palace turns into a circus."

Luka Geertsema

Quote Originally Posted by mikealan View Post
    Hi,

Cheers Mikealan
    Mike,

This looks fantastic - and it is not much out of our way.

You mention "free camping". Cannot really be - nothing is free these days... Do I need to book ? Do I need to pay conservancy fees ? etc.

This was never even on my radar until now...

Thanks a stack. Sorry for the questions.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Mike,

This looks fantastic - and it is not much out of our way.

You mention "free camping". Cannot really be - nothing is free these days... Do I need to book ? Do I need to pay conservancy fees ? etc.

This was never even on my radar until now...

Thanks a stack. Sorry for the questions.
    Hi, at the moment all you have to do is pich up and camp... There used to be people maning the vet fence at the turn-off into the pans and a small wooden office on the island itself.
    As far as I know, the vet fence people have left and the Office is broken down... then there was an "honesty box" where you cold donate your camping fee... but this aslo went.. now there is nothing.
    I'm going there again in July, so can give you an update then.... maybe others have been more recently.

You can wild camp on the surrounds of the "Southern " Pan... its not a game reserve and as far as I know it acyually has a 100year lease with some private family ??

As you mention... you just pitch up and say and go... take everything in and take everything out - no facilities

hang up a waterbucket and take a shower under a baobab !!

I'll look for the ruins next time.. couldn't find them last time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	site.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	725256  

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mikealan For This Useful Post:

mikealan (and others)

This is very useful information, thank you.

I also eagerly await your update after July, as I'm thinking of getting out there for a bit of exploring and photographing stuff during August.

I couldn't find anything recent on Kukonje on this forum and ended up resurrecting an older thread. This has answered the questions nicely.

At first I didn't browse this thread because of the "Kuhubu" title and I thought it was some other place.