Default M10 Katima-Vic Falls

Hello

I am planning a trip to Western Caprivi, northern Botswana and Hwange. I'd rather do a circle than go back on myself, how is the M10 between Katima and Vic fall on the Zambian side in terms of condition and transit on that route, and the relevant border crossings? My others option is the Chobe transit road Ngoma-Kasane which I've done before (and would have done already) and not very interesting (and that crossing into Zim which was slow when I was last there).

Thanks!

Default Re: M10 Katima-Vic Falls

That road is terrible! Itís also definitely more boring the the transit road.

You say Western Caprivi? What is the route in? Are you travelling from Joburg or Nam?

When going to Zim, why not go in at Panda (easy border for entering Zim) and come out to Bots (Kasane) at the Zim border post via Vic Falls and then go to the Caprivi.

Zambian border posts are a pain. Do you really want to do another two border crossings? Skip that option you will save a lot on time/costs and frustration.
    Last edited by TRON; 2024/06/17 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    That road is terrible! You say Western Caprivi? Are travelling from Joburg or Nam?

When going to Zim, why not go in at Panda (easy border for entering Zim) and come out to Bots (Kasane) at the Zim border post via Vic Falls and then go to the Caprivi.
    This, best way to avoid double tracking and you leave out the moonscape on the Zam side
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

You say Western Caprivi? What is the route in? Are you travelling from Joburg or
    Maybe youíre flying into Kasane and picking up the rental there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    This, best way to avoid double tracking and you leave out the moonscape on the Zam side
    To avoid double tracking do the Chobe river road and spend a night or two at Ihaha.

Thanks, that's very good to know about the M10! I've been to Botswana, Zimbabwe and Namibia before, I'm sort of going back for a best of my favourite bits! This will be flying into Kasane, going straight to Caprivi and Maduma area, perhaps a bit further down, and then a loop around Hwange and into Chobe (via Pand) and drop off again at Kasane. Last time we did Kasane to Chobe via Savuti and Kwai (and on to Cape Town), having started in Windhoek, we don't want to drive so far this time and have less time, just to see some game and do some camping. My favourite campsite was Kwai community but I don't think it will fit in, the drive there was really bumpy. My kids are 7&9 (they have done this since a young age however) and I want an easy trip.

Thanks

Sounds like a great trip. What time of the year and how many days? Have you been to Hwange before?

Sounds like a great trip. What time of the year and how many days? Have you been to Hwange before?
    July/August 2025, first time in Hwange. I was thinking of camping at Robins Camp. I am thinking about 4 weeks, 7 days in Zim, 10 in caprivi and the rest in Bots, roughly. We'll rent a RTT vehicle, we used Bushlore last time and were very happy, I've not seen another product that rivals this but would be open to it.
    Last edited by 4x4Robert; 2024/06/18 at 10:32 AM.

When in Hwange consider camping at one of the exclusive campsites? I highly recommend Deteema (toilet & running water & open air cold water shower & a hide/lapa) and Masuma (toilets & running water & hot water showers & hide/lapa). Both are well situated and overlook dam. Sightings are guaranteed from the camps with an excellent wild life experience. Especially at night - sounds of the wild.

Robins has good facilities although there is no view from the campsites which are fenced off and situated at the backend of Robins Camp. There is a restaurant (pretty good food) and an swimming pool (might be too cold in July/Aug to really enjoy.
    Last edited by TRON; 2024/06/18 at 08:50 PM.

When in Hwange consider camping at one of the exclusive campsites? I highly recommend Deteema (toilet & running water & open air cold water shower & a hide/lapa) and Masuma (toilets & running water & hot water showers & hide/lapa). Both are well situated and overlook dam. Sightings are guaranteed from the camps with an excellent wild life experience. Especially at night - sounds of the wild.

Robins has good facilities although there is no view from the campsites which are fenced off and situated at the backend of Robins Camp. There is a restaurant (pretty good food) and an swimming pool (might be too cold in July/Aug to really enjoy.
    Thanks, with kids it's easier as I have a fence in Robins. I could stop at those places though on the way back into Bots.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Robert View Post
    Hello

I am planning a trip to Western Caprivi, northern Botswana and Hwange. I'd rather do a circle than go back on myself, how is the M10 between Katima and Vic fall on the Zambian side in terms of condition and transit on that route, and the relevant border crossings? My others option is the Chobe transit road Ngoma-Kasane which I've done before (and would have done already) and not very interesting (and that crossing into Zim which was slow when I was last there).

Thanks!
    I drove it 3 days ago.
    3 hours from Sesheke to Kazangula turn off.
    Tar has been removed and it is now a gravel road.
    Trucks are also now using this route so it will be buggered in the near future.
    ENJOY.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tooi For This Useful Post: