Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Roof Loading

Default Re: Roof Loading

Roofracks are really nice for lots of reasons.

You just have to exclude the following and ignore.

1]screws up aerodynamics, by a huge margin

2]makes the car top heavy and essentially alters roadholding, especially gravel roads

3]due to loading limitations you can stick 50kg max on it

4]cant reach anything on top

5]Wind noise

other than that great gadget
    Angel Group
    Solar-Construction-Offroad
    [email protected]
    Next event: 4x4 Recovery-TBA

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Engel For This Useful Post:

I've never bothered researching the specs on the Y61, but on quite a number of occasions, I've loaded up heavily. When totally laden (ie: Wild camping etc) I'll have the following:

2 x Jerry cans (fuel)
    2 x Jerry cans (water)
    1 x 45L water tank
    1 x RTT
    1 x Awning
    1 x Solar panel underneath the rack.

I'll often chuck a bag of firewood on top as well - but this will be for a short distance.

On a Y61, there is no handling difference. There is actually such a marginal difference in terms of consumption, I really don't care. I work my fuel stats out fully loaded, or without the rack, in the same manner - it is such a minor difference it makes no difference to me. Being partially deaf, the roof noise does not bother me at all.

It is more top heavy, so I do adjust my approach when offroad. I've driven offroad, and on highways and on byways and dirt - some of it very bad. Whilst it's probably not the optimal solution, it is what I have and it is what I do.

I don't store stuff I need to get at permanently on the roof. So climbing up and down is not an issue.

And finally, as already pointed out, fill your water / fuel jerry's and tanks at the last point you can and empty them as soon as you can to get the roof load down again.
    Last edited by iandvl; 2024/06/21 at 02:01 PM.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

The static load is no problem, but when moving at a reasonable speed, be warned. The biggest problem is the vehicles average Centre of Gravity is raised. The more you pot on, the higher the CoG goes. This is the killer when you swerve or turn suddenly, also when the vehicle is on difficult terrain where the road is at an angle.
    Alan Exton
    ZS6E
    LandCruiser 100 Series VX 4.2 Diesel
    Isuzu Mux 4x4

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alan Exton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Safe!
    We do not have Moose is SA.

That load is safe on the Fortuner... stationary.
    We may not have Moose but we do have plenty of Nguni cattle that wonder around unguarded and are about the same size and weight. So call it the Nguni test in South Africa if it makes you happier

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Louis van Zyl For This Useful Post:

Jy is natuurlik 100% korrek Louis. Ek het al teen ń bees vasgery. My Safaribakkie was gefrommel terwyl die koei opgestaan en weggestap het. Dít het my die meeste moerig gemaak.

Ek glo wel jy het die humor herken.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25
    Satphone - Rental supplier

If you look at some of the Pietersburg traffic, most vehicles can handle the load.

Consider below and realise the roofrack is just a small part of a bigger problem. The whole package must be considered and catered for.

The big problem is we still want to travel at a 120 km/h plus. Your cruising speed should be much lower on these vehicles of ours. Some of which are just about overloaded with the accesories we fit. Then we sart loading for the trip. Then we add fuel and water. Then we do some gravel roads at highway speeds with close to zero gravel experience. Then we deflate tyres to have a softer ride on the corrugations. We also fit high lift suspensions, body lifts and huge tyres, all of which raises the centre of gravity and increases body roll. By this time we have lost all integrity on the roadholding.

It is actually surprising most of us get back home safely. We must also be thankfull that our vehicles do not have to go through weighbridges. (Half of us will not pass legally.)

I believe this is war talk even though I am not interested in starting a war at all. Drive safely and enjoy your trips. I have been doing trips with 4x4's since the early 90's, and common sense should always prevail.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pieter de Waal For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2