Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roof Loading

Default Roof Loading

Whado you guys think of loading a roof rack like this. My fortuner only has 80kg capacity. If i deduct 30 kg for for the roof rack, there is only 50kg left….
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontRunner Rack.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	724656  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jorgjean; 2024/06/17 at 08:58 AM.

Default Re: Roof Loading

Looking at the picture and taking that all the water and Jerry cans are full, the load looks more then 50kg.
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD 6 4x4 Auto (SOLD)
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4x4 (SOLD)
    2014 Nissan Navara LE Auto (SOLD)
    2011 Nissan Navara XE (SOLD)

Even if your roof can handle a load like that, try an emergency stop from 80km/h in a straight line. Then try to swerve for an animal at 60.

I was in the “carry everything you own on the roof because it looks cool club” once. I know 1st hand its a bad idea.
    Last edited by LandyLove; 2024/06/17 at 09:57 AM.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    Even if your roof can handle a load like that, try an emergency stop from 80km/h in a straight line. Then try to swerve for an animal at 60.

I was in the “carry everything you own on the roof because it looks cool club” once. I know 1st hand its a bad idea.
    In other words you tried the MOOSE TEST

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew V9X For This Useful Post:

Safe!
    We do not have Moose is SA.

That load is safe on the Fortuner... stationary.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25
    Satphone - Rental supplier

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post

For sure this is a problem. How much do you guys go for? Hardly anybody keeps to the more or less standard 80kg.

I've got the Front Runner Slimline II on my Fortuner. With the foot rails the total weight is 33kg, allowing me 47kg of capacity.

Now I've seen my fair share of vehicles with side awnings, max trax, plus a few jerry cans on the roof.

x2 Front runner 20L jerry cans + brackets + 20L diesel = 46.5 kg so this already places you on the limit.

I mostly use it to carry the bulk items like camp chairs, fishing and snorkel gear etc.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Serious question. No joking now.

Is this 60kg a factor for motion safety or due to the structural integrity of the body. It just sounds very light for such a string vehicle.

The roof load limit on my G is 200kg. There is not real difference between these two vehicles' roof and pillar structures... as the eye can see? And the suspensions are also quite similar.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25
    Satphone - Rental supplier

The Fortuner has a 120kg dynamic rating and a 80kg off road rating. So this is why I refer to the 80kg roof load rating

It does however have a static rating of 320kg.
    Last edited by Redman; 2024/06/18 at 08:03 AM. Reason: My brain seems to be on vacation from sentence construction today

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post

Is this 60kg a factor for motion safety or due to the structural integrity of the body. It just sounds very light for such a string vehicle.

The roof load limit on my G is 200kg. There is not real difference between these two vehicles' roof and pillar structures... as the eye can see? And the suspensions are also quite similar.
    I think its partly indemnity from the manufacturer. The mounting style also makes a difference. Gutter mount is usually stronger than bolting a few points on the roof.

have a look here.
    some good explanation regarding loading of roof and being covered in the event of malfunction/accident

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post

My opinion:
    There is a very big difference in the suspensions between your (previous generation) G and the Fortuner.
    The G has live axles with three links both sides. The bush configuration of the three-link system makes the vehicle inherently "stiffer" in a the roll axis.

The Fortuner has a 5-link setup on the rear axle and independent front suspension. Independent suspension is not inherently stiff but does have very limited travel, thus the manufacturer has to make it stiff in the roll axis to prevent it from frequently bottoming out. The 5-link in the rear is one of the least stiff suspension layouts available (only a triangulated 4-link is inherently less stiff).

Thus in the Fortuner (and most similar vehicles), the rear axle has less stiffness in the roll axis than the front axle (it has to be set up that way to get reasonable articulation despite the IFS) and the roof rack's extra weight is obviously all over the rear axle. This is less than ideal and in my opinion the reason why the G's load rating is so much higher. It would be interesting to know what the roof load rating for the new IFS G is.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2024/06/18 at 09:45 AM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    have a look here.
    some good explanation regarding loading of roof and being covered in the event of malfunction/accident
    thanks for the link. I have watched this, I like his youtubes. I also know how to calculate everything. The thing is: hardly anybody keeps to these limits,

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    The Fortuner has a 120kg dynamic rating and a 80kg off road rating. So this is why I refer to the 80kg roof load rating

It does however have a static rating of 320kg.
    That is interesting. Where did you see the 120kg dynamic rating? I only found the 80kg. I have the same Frontrunner Roofrack as you.

I think most people use the roof rack like a flat bed trailer, and just keep piling on weight. Sure the struscture is fine (with a roof rack like the frontrunner), but having to avoid a road hazard you WILL feel the weight on the roof. Most situations can be planned for, but an emergency you have to plan for long in advance. What I mean by this is you can for example handle a side slope even with stuff on the roof as you can change your line, but having to swerve to avoid an accident or a pedestrian means you should have left the roofrack home...

Only very light items on the roof (box) in my case.

'13 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi quattro - stock standard
    '12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro, 255-65R17 AT tires - Sold

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jorgjean View Post
    That is interesting. Where did you see the 120kg dynamic rating? I only found the 80kg. I have the same Frontrunner Roofrack as you.
    I spoke to the sales manager at my local Toyota dealership who put this in writing for me.

Also found the attached from Rhino Rack, although 3rd party, I know they worked with Toyota on the R&D of the rack. This aligns with what I received from Toyota.
    Attached Files Attached Files

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

And then one see roof racks loaded like this... 10/10 For loading capability, this person definitely played Tetris when he was younger.

But between the RTT, Awning and those jerry cans he should be well over the limit. Would not be surprised if he is a 100 - 200kg over his GVM

Name:  IMG_8945.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  55.0 KB

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

And then one see roof racks loaded like this... 10/10 For loading capability, this person definitely played Tetris when he was younger.

But between the RTT, Awning and those jerry cans he should be well over the limit. Would not be surprised if he is a 100 - 200kg over his GVM

Name:  IMG_8945.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  55.0 KB
    I have been guilty of much the same but have kept the fuel on roof empty as far as possible ( Which doesn’t take long with an FJ). The below was about 220kg all in which is well over the limit, the rear air bags helped with stability and we took it easy. The fortuner above must be pushing 280kg easy.

I really think there is a large safety factor in terms of structural rigidity BUT once evasive manoeuvres or prolonged overloading comes into play its anyones guess.

In my case the additional 80kg of water and fuel is only there for a short time and at relatively low speeds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Botswana2023-113.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	724897  
    Last edited by pjf110; 2024/06/21 at 10:36 AM.
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA & LCCSA: LC84

Current:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    Previous:
    Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    Land Rover Defender 110 2.5 Td5
    Mitsubishi Colt DC 3.0 V6

29. The Following User Says Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

I spoke to the sales manager at my local Toyota dealership who put this in writing for me.

Also found the attached from Rhino Rack, although 3rd party, I know they worked with Toyota on the R&D of the rack. This aligns with what I received from Toyota.

that is useful information. Roof Allowance 120 kg minus Rack Weight of 33 Kg in case of Frontrunner equals 87 kg for Cargo on Road. Or 70% thereof equals 61 kg for offroad.

That sounds feasible for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    I have been guilty of much the same but have kept the fuel on roof empty as far as possible ( Which doesn’t take long with an FJ). The below was about 220kg all in which is well over the limit, the rear air bags helped with stability and we took it easy. The fortuner above must be pushing 280kg easy.

I really think there is a large safety factor in terms of structural rigidity BUT once evasive manoeuvres or prolonged overloading comes into play its anyones guess.

In my case the additional 80kg of water and fuel is only there for a short time and at relatively low speeds.

I was also thinking to have the additional fuel on top for a limited time until it is used up.

Had a nasty experience when i was a kid with all family and tent equipment going on holiday. Emergency break and the whole cargo came off on the frontmans boot... Sharp impact will be a problem.

I also dont trust the fixture. It is only a few small crews into the original fixing drills. Whereas a G-Wagon or a 70 has the Roof Rack fixed to the those Rain-Rails which seems to be a much securer fixing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast