Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Travel schedule Kenya and Tanzania

Hello everybody,

We are planning our honeymoon to Kenya and Tanzania. We arrive in Nairobi and finish in Zanzibar. We arrive on August 13 and we're leaving on August 30. Before we did other selfdrives and felt like we were in a rush sometimes. This time we prefer not to be in a rush. The idea I have now is:

13-8-2024 Flight Nairobi (arrive late)
    14-8-2024 Nairobi
    15-8-2024 Nairobi
    16-8-2024 To Masai-Mara
    17-8-2024 Masai Mara
    18-8-2024 Masai Mara
    19-8-2024 to Lake Manyara
    20-8-2024 To Serengethi
    21-8-2024 Serengethi
    22-8-2024 Serengethi
    23-8-2024 To Norongoro Crater
    24-8-2024 To Tarangire
    25-8-2024 To Arusha + flight Zanzibar
    26-30-8 Zanzibar

I feel like Lake Manyara is not on the right place in this schedule, but I'm not sure how to solve this. Furthermore I would love to add Lake Victoria and Amboseli, but I'm afraid this might make it to much in a hurry. What would you recommend? We'd like to do some walks, night safari, canoetrip. Is this possible somewhere?

And which entrance gates should we take in the National Parks? Does anyone have a suggestion about the driving routes and good places to overnight?

I'm thinking about a mix of camping and comfort lodges (preverably with pool). Do you have advice in this? Do we have to book campsites in advance in the national parks?

We'd love to do a balloon safari in Masai Mara. Does anyone know how to book this? And would you advice morning or afternoon?

Does anyone know where to find a good map online of Kenya and Tanzania for the destinations we're visiting so that I get an overview already?

Before we used Tracks4Africa in Botswana/Namibia during the driving. Can we use this in Kenya and Tanzania too?

A lot of questions, but I hope anyone can help me further.

Last edited by Nakoma; 2024/06/15 at 11:04 PM.

Default Re: Travel schedule Kenya and Tanzania

Nakoma

You and I (and possibly others) have a lot of work to do to plan your honeymoonÖ

As it stands, there are many questions - and many potential pitfalls.

First of all - questions.

Q1: Were you intending hiring a 4x4 with roof top tent in Kenya and then dropping it off in Arusha, Tanzania?
    A1: this is not as easy as it sounds. Both in the hiring of a good fully-equipped 4x4, AND taking a Kenyan vehicle into Tanzania. The hire company would have to give you the original registration papers (logbook) which you would leave with Kenyan customs when exiting the country - and then someone would have to go and get the logbook when returning the vehicle into Kenya.

My comments:

C1: The Governor of Narok County recently issued a ban on all private vehicles (self-drive) in the Maasai Mara Reserve. You would not be able to drive yourself around the Mara Reserve unless this ban is overturned by August.

C2: It is not possible to get from the Mara, Kenya to Lake Manyara, Tanzania in one day. It is more like a two-day drive. Day 1 Mara to Nairobi, and Day 2 Nairobi to Lake Manyara (with border crossing). That is dependant on answers to my question 1 above.

C3: The access to the Serengeti is through Ngorongoro. Please read some trip reports about the state of the road between Ngorongoro Conservation Area and the Seronera area of the Serengeti National Park. The migration is also in the northern Serengeti and/or in the Mara, Kenya in August.

C4: In the Mara, balloon flights are only done in the morning. There are a number of balloon companies, but my family have only ever used Governorsí Balloon Safaris.

My advice to you is to ďthrow money at the problemĒ and go with local tour operators. It will be a much less stressful honeymoon for you than hiring a vehicle for both countries. For example, use a Kenyan tour operator to take you to the Mara and then back to Nairobi - or fly from Nairobi to the Mara and back to Nairobi. Then either fly from Nairobi to Arusha or take a road transfer to the border at Namanga and get picked up by a Tanzanian tour operator on the Tanzanian side of the border.

You need to get on this case soon as August is peak period. Sorry to be so down on your current plans, but I can see many potential pitfalls in your current plan.

Safari njema.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

You have a lot of ambition! WW is the expert for the area, value her counsle. You may know this already, but self-driving in East Africa is very different from your Namibia/Botswana experience. Roads are slower (from our GPS logs, speed between parks in E. Africa is pretty consistantly 50 km/hr, +/- 5km/h), the driving more dangerous, there are a lot more people. Self driving is not that common for non-residents, so there is less infrastructure for it. For the cross border rental problem, I think (?) Roadtripafrica allows this. While they have been in business for quite a while, many of their vehicles are not the same standard you probably experienced in Botswana/Namibia, and some customers (Ortelius, on this forum, check his blog) have had repeated car trouble with their vehicles. This is not unusual across the other few East Africa rental companies, which are few. This might be changing slowly, check Intu 4x4 and this company: https://tanzaniaunravelled.com/#contact

My thought is to focus on self driving only in one country, and then fly to the other one. Or to only go to one country + Zanzibar at the end.

A couple of thoughts below in red

Quote Originally Posted by Nakoma View Post
    Hello everybody,

We are planning our honeymoon to Kenya and Tanzania. We arrive in Nairobi and finish in Zanzibar. We arrive on August 13 and we're leaving on August 30. Before we did other selfdrives and felt like we were in a rush sometimes. This time we prefer not to be in a rush. The idea I have now is:

14-8-2024 Nairobi
    15-8-2024 Nairobil Unless you have a particular Nairobi goal you might save a day by using this day somewhere else.
    16-8-2024 To Masai-Mara
    17-8-2024 Masai Mara
    18-8-2024 Masai Mara
    19-8-2024 to Lake Manyara There is Lake Manyara National Park, but also a couple of campsites outside the park. Given your ambitions, maybe skip the national park and stay at Migobani Campsite, or nearby, as a stopover. Migobani has the requested pool, and a stunning view of the lake. It is still camping, though quite comfortable, provided it is not peak season and super busy.
    20-8-2024 To Serengethi
    21-8-2024 Serengethi
    22-8-2024 Serengethi
    23-8-2024 To Norongoro Crater
    24-8-2024 To Tarangire At most you'll hvae time for a short game drive to your camp, and maybe a short drive out. This itinerary seems very ambitious. The Tarangire Safari Lodge has a nice pool and view of the river.
    26-30-8 Zanzibar

I feel like Lake Manyara is not on the right place in this schedule, but I'm not sure how to solve this. Furthermore I would love to add Lake Victoria and Amboseli, but I'm afraid this might make it to much in a hurry. What would you recommend? We'd like to do some walks, night safari, canoetrip. Is this possible somewhere? You don't have time for Lake Victoria or Amboseli unless you do a fly safari. There are no night drives in the national parks, but perhaps in some of the private reserves outside the MM? Same for walking.

And which entrance gates should we take in the National Parks? For the Masai Mara, Sekanani Gate is the easiest from Nairobi. Note WWs warning re: self drive. There are many who think the self drive ban will be revoked, but only time will tell. For the Serengeti, you don't have much choice. The Naabi Hill gate is the most used. You could consider leaving the MM at the Oloololo gate and entering the Serengeti from the West side (Ndabaka or Ikoma). This is quite a haul to do in one day though, and leaves no time for problems, reprovision, etc. If you leave very early and are hard core it is probably doable, baring WWs note about cross border rental being difficult in Kenya/Tanzania. Does anyone have a suggestion about the driving routes and good places to overnight? Given you don't have time to spare, you won't have a lot of choice on route. There are campsites outside/near the gates to all of your destinations. In Arusha I like Twiga Lodge (actually in Usa River, to the east). Migobani is great. A google search, or T4A search for campsites in the area will show you choices. iOverlander (an imperfect app, but useful) will show you reviews. Take those reviews with a LARGE grain of salt.

I'm thinking about a mix of camping and comfort lodges (preverably with pool). Do you have advice in this? Do we have to book campsites in advance in the national parks The public campsites in the park don't need to be booked in advance. Special campsites do, and doing so is a chore. If you are motivated to organize this get started soon. There are some recent posts on this in the East Africa section of the forum.

We'd love to do a balloon safari in Masai Mara. Does anyone know how to book this? And would you advice morning or afternoon? I don't know if they get booked up in peak season, but I don't think it would be hard to arrange last minute, there will be signs near the gate, ask around. Or you can book ahead with some internet work.

Does anyone know where to find a good map online of Kenya and Tanzania for the destinations we're visiting so that I get an overview already? There are few (none?) tourist focused maps for those destinations online. There are a few paper maps that are hard to order and a bit out of date. Veronica Roodt or GT maps can be ordered from Staffords in the UK. Online, Tracks4Africa is the only tourist focused one that I know of. maps.me/osmAnd provide decent offline mapping (useful when you are there), but they also have their flaws.

Before we used Tracks4Africa in Botswana/Namibia during the driving. Can we use this in Kenya and Tanzania too? Yes. Their dataset isn't quite as robust as it is in Southern Africa, but it will be very useful for what you're planning.

A lot of questions, but I hope anyone can help me further.

Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Hi Nakoma,

You have received very good advice from two among the most experienced and knowledgeable experts of these regions. Take that advice to your heart.

Above all, I would suggest to concentrate to one country only, either Kenya or Tanzania. What you are trying to achieve with your current itinerary, is quite the opposite of what you were saying: "This time we prefer not to be in a rush". You intend to cover the area, which would require at least a month, in only 10 days. This is simply not realistic, unless a Paris-Dacar race-like trip is your idea for a honeymoon.

As said, Masai Mara to Lake Manyara is simply not possible in one day. You need two days for that. Also, it looks like Lake Manyara and Tarangire serve only as night stops on your itinerary. This makes no sense, not to mention it is very expensive.

Really, concentrate on one of those two countries only, it would be much more comfortable and relaxed, in any aspect. BTW, as it is obvious you want to end your honeymoon trip at the see, remember that Kenya also has some wonderful beaches and islands.
    Last edited by ortelius; 2024/06/16 at 10:09 PM.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your answers. These are obviously not the answers I was hoping for... but thank you for the honest feedback. I try to change my plans now. We would really love to go to both Masai Mara and the Serengeti. So since it looks like it won't be allowed to enter the Masai Mara with self drive I'll try to book an arranged safari from Nairobi to Masai Mara. If they have availability they will bring us to Speke Bay in Tanzania afterwards. I hope it's possible to rent a car from there and return it in Arusha or Kilamanjaro airport. Still have to find out about his. To go to Speke Bay was not my choice by the way, but it's in this safari tour. I don't know if it's possible to cross the border from Masai Mara to Serengeti somewhere else in a way that takes less traveling time and would also give an option to rent a car from the Tanzanian side of the border.

I'm a bit surprised that everybody still sais we'll be in a hurry with the chosen schedule. I had the idea I already skipped a lot and when I look at arranged safari roundtrips they're even shorter on places sometimes. But still, it's good to hear the advise of experienced people so I'm curious about your opinion about the following schedule:

14-8-2024 Nairobi
    15-8-2024 To Masai Mara (arranged safari tour)
    16-8-2024 Masai-Mara
    17-8-2024 Masai Mara
    18-8-2024 To Speke Bay (end arranged safari tour and hopefully pick up car around here)
    19-8-2024 To Serengeti
    20-8-2024 Serengeti
    21-8-2024 Serengeti
    22-8-2024 To Norongoro Crater
    23-8-2024 To Lake Manyara
    24-8-2024 To Tarangire
    26-30-8 Zanzibar

Yes, even your revised planned route is very rushed as it involves very long distances.

Speke Bay, on the Tanzanian Lake Victoria, is a rather remote place. I have been there a number of times. It is very unlikely that you would be able to hire a fully-equipped 4x4 in any other place than Arusha or Dar. Arusha is the safari capital of Tanzania. I would recommend Shaw Safaris based near Arusha for either self-drive or guided. They run a good show.

My advice, as I said previously, is to go with local tour operators in both Kenya and Tanzania. For example, use a Kenyan tour operator to take you to the Mara and then back to Nairobi - or fly from Nairobi to the Mara and back to Nairobi. Then either fly from Nairobi to Arusha or take a road transfer to the border at Namanga and get picked up by a Tanzanian tour operator on the Tanzanian side of the border.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

There is no other way to cross from the Kenyan Mara to the Serengeti other than via the Isebania/Sirari border crossing and then down to the Ndabaka gate to the Serengeti National Park - to the west. Otherwise the only other entrance to the Serengeti is via the Ngorongoro Crater.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2024/06/17 at 12:37 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Speke Bay, on the Tanzanian Lake Victoria, is a rather remote place. I have been there a number of times. It is very unlikely that you would be able to hire a fully-equipped 4x4 in any other place than Arusha or Dar.
    Many car rental companies offer pick up/drop off anywhere in the country but you pay for it. e.g. Mwanza 895 EUR (our retail price for our clients) or Isibania Border 615 EUR. Still it's not that easy to get all grocieres on that side for almost a week camping, so a detour via Mwanza would be necessary. I do agree with the others above, best would be to fly to JRO and then drive in/out Serengeti from the east. To not have the same route in and out you can drive in via naabi and leave via kleins/natron for example (or vice versa).
    Last edited by daudi; 2024/06/17 at 08:13 AM.

Good advice in previous posts.

re maps, Infomap has some reasonably good maps, also google will find some good ones for speciffic areas if you poke around a bit (lots of terrible maps but a few good ones).

A general comment - the Mara and Serengeti are the same ecosystem, I suggest considering two parks in different ecosystems.

Nakoma

This forum relies on the goodwill of members. The payback from those asking questions is a trip report or some sort of feedback.

Safari njema.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Thank you to everyone for the advices. And I'm sory for my late reaction (been ill). I've been thinking again and also thought about the given advices. This made I've changed my mind. Although it feels very sorry to let the Masai Mara go, I decided to focus on Tanzania only. I'm thinking about the following itinerary now:
    - 13-8 Flight to Arusha (or Kilamanjaro airport)
    - 14-8 Arusha or Moshi (pick up car and supermarket)
    - 15-8 Materuni Waterfall (Chemke hotsprings)
    - 16-8 Arusha NP
    - 17-8 To Tarangire
    - 18-8 Tarangire
    - 19-8 Tarangire-Serengeti
    - 20-8 Serengeti
    - 21-8 Serengeti
    - 22-8 Serengeti-Ngorongoro Crater
    - 23-8 Ngorongoro Crater- Lake Manyara
    - 24-8 Lake Manyara - Arusha/Zanzibar

Then we have 1 day left. I'm doubting between an extra day in the Kilamanjaro area (maybe to do a 1 day hike at/around the Kilamanjaro, is it worth it?) or to add the extra day at the Serengeti. We'd love to see the river crossings. but I realise we have to be lucky to see them. Because of this I'd like to visit the northern part of the Serengeti at least. So I thougt maybe it's wise to spend the extra day here. At the same time, some difference in the journey would also be nice: we like hiking, canoe etc.

I read somewhere it's possible to canoe, but I'n not sure anymore if this was in Arusha NP or Lake Manyara. Does anyone know this?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakoma View Post
    Thank you to everyone for the advices. And I'm sory for my late reaction (been ill). I've been thinking again and also thought about the given advices. This made I've changed my mind. Although it feels very sorry to let the Masai Mara go, I decided to focus on Tanzania only. I'm thinking about the following itinerary now:
    - 13-8 Flight to Arusha (or Kilamanjaro airport)
    - 14-8 Arusha or Moshi (pick up car and supermarket)
    - 15-8 Materuni Waterfall (Chemke hotsprings)
    - 16-8 Arusha NP
    - 17-8 To Tarangire
    - 18-8 Tarangire
    - 19-8 Tarangire-Serengeti
    - 20-8 Serengeti
    - 21-8 Serengeti
    - 22-8 Serengeti-Ngorongoro Crater
    - 23-8 Ngorongoro Crater- Lake Manyara
    - 24-8 Lake Manyara - Arusha/Zanzibar

Then we have 1 day left. I'm doubting between an extra day in the Kilamanjaro area (maybe to do a 1 day hike at/around the Kilamanjaro, is it worth it?) or to add the extra day at the Serengeti. We'd love to see the river crossings. but I realise we have to be lucky to see them. Because of this I'd like to visit the northern part of the Serengeti at least. So I thougt maybe it's wise to spend the extra day here. At the same time, some difference in the journey would also be nice: we like hiking, canoe etc.

I read somewhere it's possible to canoe, but I'n not sure anymore if this was in Arusha NP or Lake Manyara. Does anyone know this?

Looking better for a less stressed honeymoon! However, there are still issues in your planning.

1. I havenít been to the hotsprings you mention and Iím sure they are lovely, but my recommendation would be to camp at Twiga Lodge just outside Arusha NP. You donít say where you are going to overnight at Moshi or Arusha.

2. Tarangire NP to a public campsite in the Serengeti NP is a long old way. I donít think it is possible within daylight hours to the first public campsite in the Seronera area of the Serengeti NP. As you know, the migration is in the northern Serengeti/the Kenyan Mara in August. It is also a very long way from central Serengeti (Seronera) to the northern Serengeti. There are no public campsites in the far north of the Serengeti NP - they are all special campsites which require prior booking and additional fees. They have no facilities and are merely pieces of Africa. I donít think your current itinerary has enough days to get to and from the northern Serengeti.

3. Fees need to be paid for the transit through the Ngorongoro Conservation Area both ways.

4. As far as I know, there is no canoeing on Lake Manyara. I know there used to be a canoe trip available on the Momella Lakes in Arusha NP, but I think it depends on the number of people wanting to do it as to whether a trip is run. I really donít know if they are still operating, but my advice is to email Erika Shaw of Twiga Lodge and ask her.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2024/06/30 at 01:06 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

2. Tarangire NP to a public campsite in the Serengeti NP is a long old way. I donít think it is possible within daylight hours to the first public campsite in the Seronera area of the Serengeti NP. As you know, the migration is in the northern Serengeti/the Kenyan Mara in August. It is also a very long way from central Serengeti (Seronera) to the northern Serengeti. There are no public campsites in the far north of the Serengeti NP - they are all special campsites which require prior booking and additional fees. They have no facilities and are merely pieces of Africa. I donít think your current itinerary has enough days to get to and from the northern Serengeti.
    I'd estimate that it would take 9-1/2 hours from Tarangire to Seronera (excluding park entry time). You could probably reach Kogatende (Mara River) from Seronera in 7 hours, with no stops. Bear in mind that the main routes in Serengeti are atrociously corrugated.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to alannymarce For This Useful Post:

4. As far as I know, there is no canoeing on Lake Manyara. I know there used to be a canoe trip available on the Momella Lakes in Arusha NP, but I think it depends on the number of people wanting to do it as to whether a trip is run. I really donít know if they are still operating, but my advice is to email Erika Shaw of Twiga Lodge and ask her.
    Wayo Africa runs canoe trips in Manyara. I just met their driver a few days ago waiting for clients to return to the Picnic Site. Don't know the rates but I'd rather skip Manyara due to the high water levels and missing driving options in the park. Currently all vehicles queue up from the gate on the main road - no comparasation to the other parks.

I'd rather take that time (and also the hot spring day) and do mkomazi just 2 hours from Moshi but opposite direction to the other parks. No crowds, decent wildlife sightings (cats are really hard to find) but rhinos possible.in the sanctuary

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daudi For This Useful Post:

Thanks again for the given advices!

I changed the itinerary again and have different options now:

A

13-8 Flight to KJO (arrive late evening)
    14-8 Pick up car - supermarket - Chemka Springs
    15-8 Chemka Springs-Materuni waterfall- Arusha NP
    16-8 Arusha NP
    17-8 Arusha NP-Tarangire
    18-8 Tarangire
    19-8 Tarangire-Serengeti
    20-8 Serengeti
    21-8 Serengeti
    22-8 Serengeti
    23-8 Serengeti-Ngorongoro Crater
    24-8 Ngorongoro Crater-Lake Manyara
    25-8 Lake Manyara-return car-flight Zanzibar

I added a day in the Serengeti. Is the northern part realistic now?

I think the easiest would be to pick up the car at the airport on 14-8 and sleep somewhere nereby. At the same time, it would be great to have a nice hotel with pool and breakfast (but not too expensive) and I'm not sure if they're around.

B (this one was given to me by an agency, but I do not really see the advantages apart of not paying the NCA fee twice)

15-8 Chemka Springs-Materuni waterfall-Arusha NP
    16-8 Lake Natron
    17-8 Serengeti (Lobo)
    18-8 Northern Serengeti (Kogatende)
    19-8 Northern Serengeti
    20-8 Central Serengeti (Seronera)
    21-8 Ngorongoro Crater (Simba)
    22-8 Mto wa Mbu
    23-8 Tarangire
    24-8 Tarangire
    25-8 Return car-flight Zanzibar

I thought Chemka Springs might be nice for several reasons. We just had our wedding and a long flight when we arrive, so I think we'll be tired and then it would not be nice to start driving for safaris immediately. Furthermore some difference in activities would also be great, so not only game viewing (don't get me wrong, we love it) but also canoe and some hiking for example. But if you think Chemka Hotsprings and/or Materuni falls are not worth it just let me now, then I'll think about it again.

Is Lake Manyara really not accesible at the moment? If so, are there any expectations about if this might still be the case mid August?

Where in the Serengeti do you think would be the best to do a balloon safari?

Looking forward to your suggestions again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	726157  

Manyara is accessible but the the game loops are mostly flooded. So all cars stay on the main road which is not very safari like. I'd skip it.

Going via natron is nice because you can save 1x NCA fees plus 1x naabi road (badly corrigated). Also the drive is nice but only 1 night natron then straight to lobo let's you miss natron area in terms of activities. For hot springs make sure you don't go on a weekend as it will be super crowded. If you are into hiking stay two nights at natron and do engage aero gorge/waterfall hike and visit the lakefront for flamingos.

I would not try to to drive Tarangire (public campsite) to Serengeti (public campsite) in one day. It might be feasible in terms of distance but any flat tire, enthusiastic police officer or problem in fees payment at the multiple gates might lead to a delay that let's you miss arriving in time. Keep in mind: you are not allowed to drive in dark in the park

Cheers

26. The Following User Says Thank You to daudi For This Useful Post:

Thanks again!

A change again: I decided to skip the waterfall.

15-8 Chemka Springs- Arusha NP (public campsite)
    16-8 Arusha NP-Tarangire (public campsite)
    17-8 Tarangire (public campsite)
    18-8 Tarangire-Ngorongoro Crater (Simba public campsite A)
    19-8 Ngorongoro Crater-Serengeti (Seronera)
    20-8 Serengeti

21-8 Serengeti
    22-8 Serengeti (Kogatende)
    23-8 Serengeti (Lobo)
    24-8 Serengeti-Lake Manyara
    25-8 Lake Manyara-return car-flight Zanzibar

Still a few points I doubt about:
    - It's difficult to me to find out how to drive in the Serengeti if we prefer to spend some time in the Mara river area for the river crossings (hopefully). At the same time I'd also like to see other parts of the park. I feel like the distances in my itinerary in the Serengeti are not right now. Where would you advice to stay day after day in the days that I have in the Serengeti?
    - It's probably gonna be very difficult to book special campsites on this short term. But I'll have a try. Which special campsite in the Kogatende region would you recommend? And are there any other special campsites in the Serengeti that you would recommend or are there maybe public campsites that are great too?
    - Would you let Arusha NP stay in the itinerary or would you change it for something else?
    - Somebody advised to go to the Empakaai Crater en do a hike there. Would you recommend this (we do like hiking) and if so, where in my itinerary would you recommend this?

I'm looking forward to your advices again!

I have a few extra questions. Can anybody help me out?

1. I thought a canoe trip in Arusha NP could be nice. Would you let Arusha NP in the itinerary or is it better to skip it looking at the rest of the trip?
    2. Do I have enough days in the Serengeti now for driving to Kogatende (around Mara River) and game driving?
    3. Where in the Serengeti would you recommend to do a balloon safari?
    4. I've heard about the Empakaai Crater rim and a hike here. This looks nice to us. Would you fit this in our itinerary and if so, when and where?
    5. I heard there are walking safaris in Lake Manyara and Tarangire. How can I book this?
    6. In many intineraries they go from Tarangire to Lake Manyara to the Serengeti. And then back from the Serengeti to Ngorongoro Crater back to Arusha for a flight. Is that better than our itinerary?

Nobody?

To be perfectly honest, you are attempting too much both in time/distance - and attempting in making bookings yourselves.

My understanding, from people I know who live and work in Tanzania and run self-drive tourism, is that the rental companies (who are licensed tour operators) have to pay the park fees etc through TANAPA for their self-drive clients in their vehicles which are licensed tourism vehicles.

You need to ask the person you are renting a vehicle from.

My advice would be to get your vehicle rental agent to give you advice. And do ask the question about pre-payment of park fees etc.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2024/07/15 at 01:08 AM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast