Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 Spare Wheels?

Default 2 Spare Wheels?

I am running out of cargo space for my travel into Sambia. I love to have 2 spare wheels. but considering the limits i might only travel with one. What are your thoughts?

Default Re: 2 Spare Wheels?

1. If you got to the start of the most interesting part of your trip, the really good stuff is just about to begin, and you got a ruined tyre on Saturday afternoon when everything was closed until Monday, would it spoil/ruin the trip?

2. Depends what you plan on driving over for how long.
    2-3 week trip on ok roads, I'd risk it if the wheel is a huge problem.
    2-3 months and on adventures in remoter areas, I wouldn't.
    Cheers, Darrin
    8 years around Africa
    https://www.youtube.com/@roamingyak

6 weeks trip. Not heavy offroad and tire pressure to min. 1.6.

First thing to consider, before a second spare, is a tyre pressure monitoring and alarm system. Second thing is a compressor and puncture repair kit. Third thing is just a spare tyre, no rim. All of those need little space.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jonatan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
    First thing to consider, before a second spare, is a tyre pressure monitoring and alarm system. Second thing is a compressor and puncture repair kit. Third thing is just a spare tyre, no rim. All of those need little space.
    I’ve done exactly that for over 30 years into remote parts of Southern Africa and it’s worked form me.
    If you need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Is there a particular AT tyre that is very stromg?. I had a nasty experience with Cooper STT, 2 tires blown. Probably heavy weight and tire pressure a bit too low.

This is what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgjean View Post
    Is there a particular AT tyre that is very stromg?. I had a nasty experience with Cooper STT, 2 tires blown. Probably heavy weight and tire pressure a bit too low.
    BFGOODRICH All-Terrain T/A KO2
    https://africa.bfgoodrich.com/auto/t...errain-t-a-ko2
    His - 2023 Subaru Forester

Hers - 2023 Toyota Corolla Cross 1.8XS

I would say compressor and puncture repair kit is a necessity, even before any of the other. If your wheels cannot turn, you are going nowhere. You cannot even be pulled by another vehicle. It is actually an esential part of your recovery kit. It was the first peace of equipment I have add to my 4x4. I carry it permanently in my veld going vehicles.

Enemy number one to offroad tyres is an overweight/heavy laden vehicle.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2024/06/15 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Viertrek View Post
    I would say compressor and puncture repair kit is a necessity, even before any of the other. If your wheels cannot turn, you are going nowhere. You cannot even be pulled by another vehicle. It is actually an esential part of your recovery kit. It was the first peace of equipment I have add to my 4x4. I carry it permanently in my veld going vehicles.

Enemy number one to offroad tyres is an overweight/heavy laden vehicle.
    agree completely. i have the compressor and puncture repair kit. As stated before i blew 2 Cooper STT due to overloading. My Fortuner wont be as heavy as my LC but the 110 loadrating of the tires is probably on the low side if i have to reduce tire pressure for sand passages in Liuwa.

Maybe just take a tire without rim.

i was considering BFG but they are insanely expensive. So i put Conti Cross Contact ATR which i like but maybe not stong enough for the real African adventure?
    Last edited by jorgjean; 2024/06/16 at 05:40 AM.

The most important thing I think is to do your tyre research: be very wary of using a standard AT type tyre. Most of them look good, but generally have paper sidewalls. Problem is you only find that out too late. And because they are so thin, they can also be difficult to plug effectively.

If the spec says "LT" in the size designation, its probably good, and "3 ply sidewall" even better.

Or if you can deal with the noise, get a good MT or RT tyre. The Radar/Patriot seems to be good, haven't used them. I have Maxxis 811's, fantastic but expensive, and before I had Desert Hawk MT's, but you cant get them anymore. Personally, I think more expensive shouldn't stop you, your tyres are critical to your trip: lots of punctures can stress you out its really worth making sure your tyres are good.

I don't think you need two spare tyres. As everyone says: a good compressor and a string plug repair set (with lots of solution and plugs, you can find both on Takealot in a good brand like Rema TipTop). At the most, an extra tyre (only) that you can toss on the roof (even on top of the RTT), though these days its not difficult to find a cheap replacement (I've done that in Zambia, in a small unknown village) if you have a common 16 or 17" size.

If you are going to be really remote, get some mushroom plugs and gaiters too, then you can remove your tyre from the rim and fix the bad punctures from the inside. Its really not as difficult as you might think, if you know how.
    Last edited by zoneout; 2024/06/16 at 08:38 AM.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zoneout For This Useful Post:

Normally by the time you realize that you have a blown tyre, the tyre casing is beyond repair. A normal automotive compressor will not inflate tyre that has debeaded, unless you know how. With a spare tube or 2 you can go a long way or until you reach a place to effect proper repair/replacement. A complete spare tyre and rim, will always be first prize. A torn casing can be repaired with cable ties or wire and a tube fitted inside. A spare casing can be packed with lots of things. Tubes, compressor, tools and spares. It is very much of a muchness.
    Making provision for every event will make your traveling experience more pleasurable. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Artisan built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Also depends on what size rim you have.

When I lived Zambia, you could get 15” and 16” easily.

Rock up with 18” and you’ll wait days for tyres to be imported.

I've never had a problem with getting a tyre back onto the bead with a normal travelling compressor. I think it depends a lot on the size. Smaller rim sizes and higher aspect ratios are more difficult. On my Disco (265/60/18), I haven't had any problems. No lighter fluid or any of those other YouTube stunts required
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    I've never had a problem with getting a tyre back onto the bead with a normal travelling compressor. I think it depends a lot on the size. Smaller rim sizes and higher aspect ratios are more difficult. On my Disco (265/60/18), I haven't had any problems. No lighter fluid or any of those other YouTube stunts required
    I was going to say the same. We have a generic compressor, no fancy ARB or anything. I have seen it in Midas and similar shops rebranded as the store brand. It can rebead our 265/75R16s, no problem.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Normally by the time you realize that you have a blown tyre, the tyre casing is beyond repair. . . . .
    That is why a tpms is my first priority. . . . . to save the casing.

I could probably repair a puncture, these tires a stong. But i would not attempt to rebead a tire or repair a cut or put a tire on a rim.

Given the fact that the load rating on my Conti Cross Contacts is only 110 and the Fortuner will be fully loaded with 2.7 T GVM, i consider putting a tire monitoring system on to monitor the overheating. Also i dont lower tire pressure for longer periods of time and below 1.6bar.

Any monitoring system in particular that worls well.

Yes for sure i have a tire repair kit and a small Viair tire compressor. Amd i will have 6 wheels with tires fitted for peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgjean View Post
    I could probably repair a puncture, these tires a stong. But i would not attempt to rebead a tire or repair a cut or put a tire on a rim.

Given the fact that the load rating on my Conti Cross Contacts is only 110 and the Fortuner will be fully loaded with 2.7 T GVM, i consider putting a tire monitoring system on to monitor the overheating. Also i dont lower tire pressure for longer periods of time and below 1.6bar.

Any monitoring system in particular that worls well.

Yes for sure i have a tire repair kit and a small Viair tire compressor. Amd i will have 6 wheels with tires fitted for peace of mind.
    I know we keep adding stuff but if you have the plug type tyre repair kit try practice pushing the reamer through an old tyre; it is harder than you think, particularly as one gets a bit older (cough, cough) if applicable. Some have mentioned carrying a rechargeable or 12V drill.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    I know we keep adding stuff but if you have the plug type tyre repair kit try practice pushing the reamer through an old tyre; it is harder than you think, particularly as one gets a bit older (cough, cough) if applicable. Some have mentioned carrying a rechargeable or 12V drill.
    Agree, the reamer no problem.
    The plug inserter sjoe you just get one steel wire caught in the needle ish

Practising with an old tyre does not work fantastically.

If you have a puncture, and the wheel is very flat, you will not be able to get either reamer or plug insertion thing in.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but after removing the reason for the leak (ie: stick, nail, bolt), pump your flat wheel up to near normal pressures before attempting a repair.

And get a proper tyre repair kit. Steel handles - not the plastic handle jobs.

Edit:

1: Even when having to reinflate the wheel, repairing the tyre on vehicle is still faster than putting a spare on. Depending on the type of puncture, obviously.
    2: I roll with Maxxis AT 811's. Best AT tyres I have owned.
    Last edited by iandvl; 2024/06/17 at 01:25 PM.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast