Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Eskom gunning for higher fixed costs

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/energ...per-month.html

Cassim said that one of the major issues was that 70% of charges are linked to electricity consumption, while 30% of customer bills are for the fixed infrastructure.

Eskom believes this ratio should be reversed. It is working on a new tariff proposal and plans to submit it to Nersa by August 2024.

Based on an analysis from Eskom about how its proposal would impact prices, households using less than 600kWh would pay R466ĖR2,564 more per month under its proposed system.

For example, users of its Homepower 1 tariff would see their fixed charge increase from R218 to R938 per month.

Analysing various usage profiles, Eskom showed that such users would pay R720 more per month if they used 0kWh, R551 more for 400kWh, and R466 more for 600kWh.

The analysis showed that Eskomís proposed overhaul of fixed and variable charges would only break even for those households using more than 1,000kWh per month.

Critics of Eskomís plan pointed out that it would likely encourage rooftop solar users to become even more self-sufficient and sever their grid connections entirely.
    Probably should have expected this.

Iím relatively free of grid, was offgrid for around 5 months in summer, now back on Eskom and sitting on 70 units used for the month so far.

If above happens, I would really consider asking CoCT to fetch their meter and cut me off, and Iíll install another battery and 10kva or similar silent diesel generator. Question is, am I allowed to do this? Or would I be required to keep a connection to Eskom for whatever reason?

Default Re: Eskom gunning for higher fixed costs

This has been coming for a while. When they do, I am also adding a battery and cutting myself off. I cannot see a reason for this not to be legal. Then again, thinking of TV licenses...you never know.
    ------------------------------------------------
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci
    2023 Nissan Navara Pro 4x

Work: 41į19'54.7"N 69į17'26.4"E Home:-4ways

Quote Originally Posted by bees View Post
    If above happens, I would really consider asking CoCT to fetch their meter and cut me off, and Iíll install another battery and 10kva or similar silent diesel generator. Question is, am I allowed to do this? Or would I be required to keep a connection to Eskom for whatever reason?
    Agreed, I'd do the same. Add two more AM-2's and be completely off-grid.

One of my mates has been disconnected from COJ electricity, and water for a good couple of years now. So it is possible. I think, where the issue will come in, is if you ever need to connect again, they will charge you an arm & a leg, but I speak under correction here.

PS, this is for Jo-Burg. Will probably be even easier in Slaapstad.
    Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

So what about the house holds that donít use solar and try to use as little elect as possible cos they canít afford to pay for Escom and they try save as much money as possible , now they going to be charged huge amount because they canít afford elect in first place

and then the illegal connections just carry on and will increase
    2002 Defender with 300TDi VNT modified
    2005 Defender TD5 CR VNT turbo, Ashcroft lockers,HD CW&P, HD side shafts & CV and Pegged, 35Ē coppers STT pro ÖÖÖ..and more

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

Work: 41į19'54.7"N 69į17'26.4"E Home:-4ways

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    So what about the house holds that donít use solar and try to use as little elect as possible cos they canít afford to pay for Escom and they try save as much money as possible , now they going to be charged huge amount because they canít afford elect in first place

and then the illegal connections just carry on and will increase
    Yep, its crazy...
    They need to make money somehow, the only people paying are either going the solar/generator route, or leaving the country, so yes the money pit is getting very empty...
    Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyades For This Useful Post:

Well as bad as it is for the country in general I have very little sympathy for Eskom, they decided to slit the throat of the golden goose, so they have to now sit with the consequences. I do feel very bad for all the very poor people that can't afford electricity and are saving as much as possible. But having close contact with people that live in more "informal" areas, they pay a fraction of what people in suburbs pay. I too would MUCH rather go off grid than pay Eskom any more than what I am paying them already.

I guess ultimately power generation will be privatised and what remains of Eskom will be left derelict. I really hope it doesn't get to that point though...

'13 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi quattro - stock standard
    '12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro, 255-65R17 AT tires - Sold

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Our fixed cost before a unit used is R5000 a month. We can buy plenty of diesel for that, manage out power use, ie heavy loads like irrigating and feed mixing on the genny and the rest on solar. Already pump all stock water and run the yard on solar. Good bye eskom.

We also now have lights,comms,security 24/7 not when Eskom thinks we need it. No outages. No veld fires from wires kissing in the wind.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2016 Metalian Parthian
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

Critics of Eskomís plan pointed out that it would likely encourage rooftop solar users to become even more self-sufficient and sever their grid connections entirely.
    My guess is that the fixed cost will just be linked to a property and be required for any residential zone whether used or not, they'll find a way to charge you somehow I have no doubt.

Death spiral is picking up speed
    Last edited by PJ SA; 2024/06/14 at 07:35 AM.

2020 Isuzu D-Max 250 X-Rider D/C 4x4
    Ex: 2017 Jimny & F800gs Adventure

A man who lacks purpose distracts himself with pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ SA View Post
    My guess is that the fixed cost will just be linked to a property and be required for any residential zone whether used or not, they'll find a way to charge you somehow I have no doubt
    This is my biggest concern. Would need to get proper info and advise before pulling the trigger, but somehow I think youíre not far off the markÖ

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bees For This Useful Post:

This is my biggest concern. Would need to get proper info and advise before pulling the trigger, but somehow I think youíre not far off the markÖ
    Yep. The so-called availability charge, whether you use anything or not.

I see this happening. It is already in place in holiday towns where you have big swings in populations between seasons.

I donít think it is possible to give up your grid connection. And if you just stop paying the connection fee, at a minimum, you would not be able to sell until arrears plus interest have been paid. This legislation is about getting the same amount of revenue while supplying less KWh after all.

... I would really consider asking CoCT to fetch their meter and cut me off, ...
    If you have a CoCT meter Eskom's fee structure does not apply to you.
    Last edited by JanB; 2024/06/14 at 08:39 AM.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold) and now on my second second hand D4 British Tata.

Our Mun already have these fix charges for a few years.

Before rushing into spending loads 0f $$ to go totally off-grid, look at the structure of your local Mun on these fixed charges as ours are linked to your Amp connection - They allow you to downgrade for free once a year, but you pay to upgrade again.

60a connection = R745pm fixed charge

I downgraded from 60a to 40a connection and the fixed charge came down to just under R500pm.

There are sliding scales in 10a increments ranging from 90a down to 30a for the fixed charges that gets charged on your monthly rates & taxes account.

The secret to keep your pre-paid connection with zero fixed charge is to downgrade to a 20a "lifeline" connection, so consider that before you totally disconnect.
    2022 FX4 Ranger 2L Sit 4x4 Auto
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Farm Lorrie & Heavy loads)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamakazi For This Useful Post:

A similar article comes out once a month threatening this.
    Journalists love to post it.

EDIT, this is 2 years ago article. Spot the difference.
    https://mybroadband.co.za/news/energ...ity-eskom.html
    Last edited by PsyPhin; 2024/06/14 at 11:02 AM.
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

I'm a moron, but humour me.

GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    (4x4) Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual + 2017 XL Auto, Haval H9
    Ex 320d E90, Maz MPS 2.3 DISI, CITI Golf MKI,
    Ford Anglia 307E in British racing green, my first car ❤

Quote Originally Posted by PsyPhin View Post
    A similar article comes out once a month threatening this.
    Journalists love to post it.
    Exactly. I am a big fan of MyBB, but they really do know how to click bait.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold) and now on my second second hand D4 British Tata.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JanB For This Useful Post:

Worry about it when it happens, currently it's just an application to NERSA.

What isn't mentioned is how the unbundling of Eskom affects this. Also seems to affect direct Eskom customers.

In our case, our complex is registered under commercial properrty (140 units) and so pays as a unit to the town.

Since our solar was installed and fine-tuned back in October '23, we haven't used a single unit of Eskom power. If necessary we will go offgrid, and use the savings to put in a heat exchanger for hot water, which is currently our biggest user of electricity. And an additional 2 panels (currently 12) would probably help a little on cloudy days.

Suspect that many of our neighbors would do the same....

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    Our Mun already have these fix charges for a few years.

Before rushing into spending loads 0f $$ to go totally off-grid, look at the structure of your local Mun on these fixed charges as ours are linked to your Amp connection - They allow you to downgrade for free once a year, but you pay to upgrade again.

60a connection = R745pm fixed charge

I downgraded from 60a to 40a connection and the fixed charge came down to just under R500pm.

There are sliding scales in 10a increments ranging from 90a down to 30a for the fixed charges that gets charged on your monthly rates & taxes account.

The secret to keep your pre-paid connection with zero fixed charge is to downgrade to a 20a "lifeline" connection, so consider that before you totally disconnect.
    It wont be long before prepaid users will have a monthly charge slapped on them ... not if you live in a township/kasi, or thered be riots. It will be slapped on suburban users.
    2017 Jimny
    2014 Hajadu 800 (bad bad choice - sold)
    Land Rover FC of unknown age (sold)
    Land Rover series IIA 2.4L 1968 (rebuilt and sold)
    Dirtbikes - too many to list

24. The Following User Says Thank You to wheelz88 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Well as bad as it is for the country in general I have very little sympathy for Eskom, they decided to slit the throat of the golden goose, so they have to now sit with the consequences. I do feel very bad for all the very poor people that can't afford electricity and are saving as much as possible. But having close contact with people that live in more "informal" areas, they pay a fraction of what people in suburbs pay. I too would MUCH rather go off grid than pay Eskom any more than what I am paying them already.

I guess ultimately power generation will be privatised and what remains of Eskom will be left derelict. I really hope it doesn't get to that point though...
    Dont worry about the very poor - there are indigent rates for them.
    2017 Jimny
    2014 Hajadu 800 (bad bad choice - sold)
    Land Rover FC of unknown age (sold)
    Land Rover series IIA 2.4L 1968 (rebuilt and sold)
    Dirtbikes - too many to list

At the business we already pay R5k a month demand charge before we get a single unit of prepaid electricity, we are subsidizing a few neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz88 View Post
    It wont be long before prepaid users will have a monthly charge slapped on them ... not if you live in a township/kasi, or thered be riots. It will be slapped on suburban users.
    Its not coming. It has been there for years (at least where I live). I am on prepaid for the last 5 years and have been paying a monthly fee from day 1 - and increasing at an average rate of 10% per annum

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast