Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Insurance companies insisting on Trackers and the risk involved

There is another issue with Trackers (and the Toyota inbuilt WiFi) units.

I have a 2020 Totoya Landruiser 76 with 85,000km on the clock in mint condition.

I was preparing for a long trip when my car battery went flat. I checked that all the door lights were off as this can be a drain while you have all the doors open and you are packing. None were on. I put the smart charger on and charged the battery up overnight. In the morning it was charged up but by the end of the day the battery was flat again. I then did a current drain test and found the circuit that was draining the battery and called an auto electrician to come and fix the problem. His immediate reaction was that it would be the tracker unit and set about trying to find it. As these things are well hidden this took some considerable ingenuity. The faulty piece of equipment turned out to be the Toyota installed WiFi unit, whose title back-up battery had burst. It turns out that Toyota install these units in all of there vehicles after 2019.

If this had happened on a trip to a very remote area, which is what we are always doing, we would have been left stranded and in big trouble.

So here is the thing, this applies to tracker unit as well, which all have little back-up batteries and have a reliable life time of around 3 years.
    I have removed the Toyota unit but still have a tracker unit which I am obliged to keep for my insurance to be valid.

I am now concerned for the reliability of my vehicle.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nimrod I For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Problematix View Post
    Someone help me out here please - so what rationale do insurance companies have for requiring more than 1 tracking device in a particular vehicle? Do they not trust the reliability of a single device or is it something else?
    Some car brands are a higher target for hijack and/or theft than other car brands. It is due to the familarity of said brand and availability of its parts (or as a whole vehicle resale factor) in other countries.

Insurance is trying to curb their costs/"losts" with clauses for extra trackers for specific car brands. They could, for example, work together with varous tracking companies or SAPS, to minimize car theft but it is a known fact that SAPS are useless. And tracking/security companies does not always venture into areas where it is a risk to their personnel.
    Last edited by GroenHoender; 2024/06/17 at 09:39 AM.

Tracking compony install a system in my vehicle and damage the wiring after the sales person told them not to install any system in vehicle. The installers don't know what thy doing. It looks like they running for targets every month. The tracking company don't accept any responsibility for the work there installers do. Wont replay on the question why the installer install tracking unit in vehicle after the installer where told not to install unit. Looks they install the units on all new vehicles without the customer authority.
    Last edited by pierre1963; 2024/06/17 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Mate had his Hilux stollen from Olivedale clinic a few months ago. Two trackers fitted. They lost track of the vehicle by the time it got to the gate at Olivedale clinic. Never recovered.
    Pretty much my experience too.

I am on a large EC based security Whatsapp group, and if I had to use that as anecdotal evidence trackers definitely works, there are hijacked vehicles almost on a daily basis recovered by tracking/security companies using tracking location. (But there are also several where the tracker is disabled a while after the incident)

The best unit for stopping theft (not foolproof but definitely have more faith in them) is the Ghost unit. It stops the electronic signal from the accelerator to the brains of the vehicle, it will never reach better than idle speed until you deactivate it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

Due to volumes the insurers have to reduce the risk.

Now you overtake a vehicle and at 150km/h you have an accident. I Am sure they can access that info and use it to repudiate a claim
    Angel Group
    Solar-Construction-Offroad
    [email protected]
    Next event: 4x4 Recovery-TBA

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Engel For This Useful Post:

I suspect this "I am actually very irritated with SA insurance companies due to them colluding with tracking companies to get more out of us...." and think kickbacks are the name of the game; tracker outfits to insurers. I have Bidtrack, who seem pretty good and produce logbook like data if needed as well as calling if near a border and sending SMS's confirming tests of the unit. Then the second one raised my suspicion as Santam actually recommended Beame which I installed only to hold my cover (and as recommended by my broker who was also irritated but resigned to the need for it) but have no communication with them other than cash being syphoned out of my bank account every month. No clue who to contact should me vehicle get stolen, zero information supplied. Ripoff methinks.

Maybe I am just the lucky one out there.
    I have been owning only Toyotas since 1989, always bought new, and currently owns:
    Fortuner 3.0 D4D since 2012
    Fortuner 2.8 GD6 since 2017
    Corolla Cross 1.8 since 2023
    I used to live in Gauteng but moved to Western Cape (Mossel Bay) in 2021.
    I never installed any tracker or related devices on any vehicles.
    I have been with Santam Insurance for 30+ years and they never asked for or required any trackers and are still not requiring a tracker on any of my vehicles. I was very lucky and never had to claim for theft of a vehicle or theft related damage to a vehicle.

I hold my thumbs!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Poggie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    We will not pay a claim for theft or hijacking in any of the following instances :
    · Neither tracking devices are a radio frequency or an early-warning tracking device which includes vehicle recovery
    (unless otherwise agreed).
    · The tracking devices were not in working order at the time of the incident.
    · Your contract was not active at the time of the incident.

2024/06/
    My problem lies with the red part above.
    How often are you supposed to check that the tracking device is working? Monthly, weekly, daily or hourly?
    How would the OP have known about the one unit showing old locations if not checking in conjunction with the other vehicle?

I had a similar problem, where one unit of two that I installed on the same day stopped working after 18 months. When I phoned the company, they insisted that that unit was an old unit and reached it's end of life. I could not get any joy out of them as they would not replace the unit, but insisted that I get the "upgraded", "new" unit installed with a new 3 year contract. I am sure you can guess where I told them to shove the new unit. I removed the old units from vehicles and move to another tracking company.
    Jaco

Isuzu KB300 DMax D/C 4x4 3" Homemade lift, Bosvark LFR Radio and free-wheel hubs.

I can tell you out of the 5x2 trackers I have fitted to my 5 Hilux's, one tracks and is about 1 hour behind, one is about 10 to 12 hours behind the actual location and one works when it feels like it. Two work perfectly fine. These are Netstar. I have the worse issues with Catrack.

Bear in mind that they have all been fitted in about the last 9 months. No two are alike.

I have asked my insurance company (Hollard) what would happen if the vehicles with the trackers they recommended get fitted gets stollen while its sleeping/taking a break or 10 hours behind and I got a wishy washy statement not saying I won't be covered and not saying I will be covered.

When I asked Netstar they said they will activate the second tracker and recover the vehicle. So not sure if that means they are working or not.

It's collusion and a total con as far as Im concerned and I refused to fit one to my Landy
    Last edited by BruceT; 2024/06/19 at 01:18 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT
    23MY Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic
    Various Toyota Hilux GD-6 4x4 Overlanders - OWB Adventure Rentals

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzr...LJ470_H4QwPgVA

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by franshorn View Post
    I would get your broker to commit in writing which tracker brand they accept, and also that it is not your responsibility if the unit doesn't work. It is THEIR requirement, and should face the consequences if the unit that THEY want doesn't work.
    Nope, doesn't work that way. Just check the terms and conditions. For insurance that I have had where the tracking system is a requirement, the insurance company insisted on frequent tests to be done on your side to ensure it is working.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JS-V8 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    R
    Two tracking devices, with any combination of radio frequency or early-warning, are required for theft and hijacking cover for
    the following vehicles:

· Lexus (all models manufactured from 2018 onward)
    I wasn't aware that all Lexus models are so high on the theft list.

Quote Originally Posted by JS-V8 View Post
    I wasn't aware that all Lexus models are so high on the theft list.
    This is another huge con by roping in further clients into this compulsory tracking racket, simply because of the brands link to Toyota, which is obviously the founder company. Do they have proof that Lexus models are stolen in high numbers? Are any of their models really high risk? Is there a perception that Lexus parts are interchangeable with Toyota? Bottom line - we are all being fleeced here, long before our dear friends even begin thinking about lurking around stop streets and parking lots.
    “These days, the only time politicians tell the truth is when they call each other a liar." - Alfred E. Neuman

21. The Following User Says Thank You to preyalin For This Useful Post:

Insurance companies are con artists and that is exactly what it is a "racket".
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT
    23MY Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic
    Various Toyota Hilux GD-6 4x4 Overlanders - OWB Adventure Rentals

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzr...LJ470_H4QwPgVA

You pay a premium to an insurance company to carry the risk of your vehicle and other items.

If the insurance company then tries to move the risk back to you, why use that company?

I moved our insurance to a smaller, reputable company that does not have all the requirements and does not try to move the risk back to the policy holder.

I also had them specify, in writing on the schedule, that the requirements of tracking units are excluded.

The smaller company charges less, has less red tape, responds quicker, doesn't require me to sit on hold with a call centre, works through my broker who handles them on my behalf.

He phones them right away while we discuss the policy once a year, with any concerns I have and it is resolved right there and then. The schedule is then updated and all is put in writing.

I have a relationship with the broker and he has a relationship with someone at the insurance company. Good old way of making business work for everyone.

Now, why would I want to waste time trying to get a giant to see things my way?
    I tried that twice with two of the mammoth companies and realised that they will try to stampede and frustrate me into submitting to their way and charges.

Do yourself a favour and go and read the full wording of your insurance schedules. You may just find other issues which doesn't make sense.

Move your insurance. And use a broker which holds your interests at heart. And his own interest, because you are his customer. And you are the customer of the insurance company.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rawstorne For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Rawstorne;5251494]You pay a premium to an insurance company to carry the risk of your vehicle and other items.

If the insurance company then tries to move the risk back to you, why use that company?

I moved our insurance to a smaller, reputable company that does not have all the requirements and does not try to move the risk back to the policy holder.

I also had them specify, in writing on the schedule, that the requirements of tracking units are excluded.

The smaller company charges less, has less red tape, responds quicker, doesn't require me to sit on hold with a call centre, works through my broker who handles them on my behalf.

He phones them right away while we discuss the policy once a year, with any concerns I have and it is resolved right there and then. The schedule is then updated and all is put in writing.

I have a relationship with the broker and he has a relationship with someone at the insurance company. Good old way of making business work for everyone.

Now, why would I want to waste time trying to get a giant to see things my way?
    I tried that twice with two of the mammoth companies and realised that they will try to stampede and frustrate me into submitting to their way and charges.

Do yourself a favour and go and read the full wording of your insurance schedules. You may just find other issues which doesn't make sense.

Move your insurance. And use a broker which holds your interests at heart. And his own interest, because you are his customer. And you are the customer of

Is there any way of letting us know which insurance company you are talking about, without upsetting the Apple cart.

My brother-in-law drove his GD6 Fortuner for a year and when he changed insurance company, they required a tracking unit.

The unit was installed the Tuesday and on Wednesday the vehicle was stolen and not recovered. Co-Incidence? - probably not.

On my Hilux the tracking unit was found in the bush 5Km from where the vehicle was stolen.

Trackers are useless.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregr For This Useful Post:

Was sent this recently by my insurance company CIB. Only one tracker required and much cheaper than the traditional options such as Netstar etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20240624-100550_Adobe Acrobat.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	725231  

Quote Originally Posted by gregr View Post
    My brother-in-law drove his GD6 Fortuner for a year and when he changed insurance company, they required a tracking unit.

The unit was installed the Tuesday and on Wednesday the vehicle was stolen and not recovered. Co-Incidence? - probably not.

On my Hilux the tracking unit was found in the bush 5Km from where the vehicle was stolen.

Trackers are useless.
    So if u pay out millions a day for theft / hi- jackings a day what would u do as an insurer?
    Last edited by hein100; 2024/06/24 at 10:40 AM.

2024 VW Amarok V6 Tdi
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616
    2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Sold)
    2017 VW Amarok V6 (Sold)
    2023 VW Tiguan R-Line (Sold)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast