Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 12v Compressors... I need a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by danie1957 View Post
    Please send me full specificans, including size and mounting details on the generic 160L compressor to my WhatsApp at zero83.442.357nine
    Will do for you. Just having a crazy day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Ive had a Viair for a couple of years now. It's been wet thru by leaking Cruiser side lockers - sun dried and works fine.
    It does get hot when airing up 4 Cruiser tyres. It does come with a tight bag but you will need to get a good box for it for safe travels.
    Mine came from Amazon USA.

Viair 88P has been the best compressor I have ever owned. Outperforms most other brands that my friends own and it can be serviced as spares is available. It still pumps like the first day after 3 years.
    HENK

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

The cheapies does well. They just tend to drop you when you need them
    Angel Group
    Solar-Construction-Offroad
    [email protected]
    Next event: 4x4 Recovery-TBA

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engel For This Useful Post:

I have one of these permantly installed in my engin bay sinse 2016 and still works 100% when i need it

I have been using one like this for more than 10years. Only thing that went wrong is the coil hose perished. Replacing it was a non-event. Works very well on my 16inch all terrains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	724907  

I have decided that my next compressor will be a proper one. Have had very good service out of a few cheapies. Have two compressors doing duty one for each Cruiser.
    The one T-Max and the other a T-MAX look alike.

I use my compressors at least once or twice a month. Have noticed that the performance of the T-Max have deteriorated over time. Have striped a T-Max look alike in the past. The piston have rings that looks like Teflon. Valves are reed type valves. Without proper seats they start leaking over time ruining compressor efficiency. Proper compressors do have popper valves.

Few years ago we did a River Trip. Me and Flipside got out of the river early the Sunday morning. He had an ARB installed in his Jimny and I had the T-MAX. We started inflating at the same time. By the time I were finished with my first tyre on the Cruiser Flip were almost done with the Jimny. He asked if he can help me. He were done with the last two tyres while I were doing my second one. Made me realize that you cannot compare cheapies with the likes of ARB.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

I had the same experience with my 60l ARB being the same speed as a 300l cheapy that my friend was using.
    That evening we googled and found spec sheets for both. ARB gives the flow rate at pressure, I think it was 3bar. But the cheapy gives its flow rate at 0 pressure. So you can not really compare them on what is written on the box.
    I had a couple of cheapies and they have let me down more than once.
    I use my ARB a lot and it even inflates my smile every time
    Johan Groenewald
    Oldish Wheeler
    With more reasons to sing than to fear

Polo Pickup V6
    Metalian Maxi
    And a couple of quick Subarus

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    I had the same experience with my 60l ARB being the same speed as a 300l cheapy that my friend was using.
    That evening we googled and found spec sheets for both. ARB gives the flow rate at pressure, I think it was 3bar. But the cheapy gives its flow rate at 0 pressure. So you can not really compare them on what is written on the box.
    I had a couple of cheapies and they have let me down more than once.
    I use my ARB a lot and it even inflates my smile every time
    I have huge respect for the T-Max 160l/min and equivalent compressors. You cannot beat them value for money. But, they have their limits. I would never travel remotely with them without a backup, be it another compressor or hand pump.

My first compressor was a Thomas. It is slow, but still works 25 years later, and is now my compressor for the Jimny. For my camper I bought an ARB twin, with a 9litre Vair tank, and pressure switch cutting out at 8bar. As Coenos mentioned, it's rating is at pressure, unlike the 160l/min compressors giving specs at atmospheric pressure.

My backup compressor was usually owned by someone else in the same convoy, when travelling with others, or a footpump, which I thankfully never had to use. With the camper, I bought a T-Max 160l/min equivalent as backup, but had to manually connect it to the airtank for pumping, as it would not pump up to 8bar, even though it's rating was 10bar. It actually eventually reached 8bar, but was near stalling speed at that pressure and got very very hot.

They are not in the same class as the ARB and Vair compressors, but are certainly good enough for reliably reinflating your tyres at a decent rate. Just make sure you have a backup if you are going to remote places solo. Looking at the prices, you can buy quite a few 160l/min compressors for the price of one ARB twin.
    Mike Lauterbach

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I have huge respect for the T-Max 160l/min and equivalent compressors. You cannot beat them value for money. But, they have their limits. I would never travel remotely with them without a backup, be it another compressor or hand pump.

My first compressor was a Thomas. It is slow, but still works 25 years later, and is now my compressor for the Jimny. For my camper I bought an ARB twin, with a 9litre Vair tank, and pressure switch cutting out at 8bar. As Coenos mentioned, it's rating is at pressure, unlike the 160l/min compressors giving specs at atmospheric pressure.

My backup compressor was usually owned by someone else in the same convoy, when travelling with others, or a footpump, which I thankfully never had to use. With the camper, I bought a T-Max 160l/min equivalent as backup, but had to manually connect it to the airtank for pumping, as it would not pump up to 8bar, even though it's rating was 10bar. It actually eventually reached 8bar, but was near stalling speed at that pressure and got very very hot.

They are not in the same class as the ARB and Vair compressors, but are certainly good enough for reliably reinflating your tyres at a decent rate. Just make sure you have a backup if you are going to remote places solo. Looking at the prices, you can buy quite a few 160l/min compressors for the price of one ARB twin.
    I agree. Had a 1,7cfm via air for 14 years connected to a 6L accumulator. It worked well, always on. Have an air horn for the taxis, works even better for that. Now it has decided it is time. Cannot get spares locally, and the pricing is mad. They advertise is a USA product, but now that I have taken it out, it is printed on the table made in China. The motor is very good, still working. But the price for a piston and sleeve I can buy 3 compressors. If it packs up, throw away and get a new one. Viair will wonder whey their volume of quality has dropped.

I would love an ARB or Thomas. The ARB is unfortunately out of my price range.

I have the following compressors:
    Wife's D90 = Midas double head
    Tiguan = Midas double head
    Wife's Polo = Midas small metal type
    My D90 = Vulcano Air Erupt, looks like the small Midas type
    Bought this in 1999 from 4x4Megaworld iirc.
    This little pump has pumped 12x tyres, in Moz from around 1bar, to 1.8bar. Getting hot, but not cutting out. Yes it is slow, but boy, this thing doesn't give in.
    I also have an Ironman 160l/min. The Trailmaster from OW looks the same, but the built quality
    looks very different.

We use these compressors very seldom, and i believe the Midas compressors will still service us for a long time.
    1997 Defender 90 300tdi
    1996 Defender 90 (Swambo)
    2011 Tiguan 2.0Tdi 4Mot
    2012 Conquerer Conquest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2