Question ML500 Replacement head unit (Radio)

I recently bough a 2010 ML500 in very good condition.

The OEM radio (NTG2.5) has Bluetooth for phone function, but not to play music over. It has an aux plug with a 30 pin iPod plug. It has a 6 disc CD shuttle in the radio as well as in the Centre console for the rear screens. It has the Harmon Karson sound system in.

Donít have the remote for the rear units and the front disc player is only taking 3 discs (I had to go look for CDís&#128512.

Would like to upgrade to something more modern with Apple CarPlay, while maintaining other functionality such as steering wheel controls and display link in center console if possible. Fit in dashboard need to be proper.

Any recommendations or what did you install and what was your experience. Suggestions on removal of the rear units?

Thanks

Default Re: ML500 Replacement head unit (Radio)

Here is my thread on a similar subject.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...d.php?t=373702
    See if there is a Carplay module available for the Mercedes, like there is for Porsche. That way, you keep the original radio and sound quality.
    I've got one of these adapters (see attached pic) in my car's Aux socket and am streaming my Spotify music from my phone, with very good sound quality.
    I've been using my car like this for the last six months and am almost at a point where I'm tempted to just continue that way. But, I suppose I'll end up getting a Carplay module installed.
    Good luck with your search.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240606_220808.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	723893
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2024/06/06 at 10:22 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

I have a 2009 GL. I assume it is very similar.

I had something like this installed. Will have to go and check the exact make and model, but the sound installation guys should know.

Lost the CD shuttle, so in stead I just downloaded a lot of Spotify playlists for when out of reception. But all steering controls are still working. Also added rear camera and front dashcam that is all integrated into the unit. Also now have up to date offline maps that helps a lot.

https://www.takealot.com/android-nav...t/PLID94739489
    Dirk Lombard
    2009 Mercedes-Benz GL350cdi (For the uninformed: It has adjustable height, low-range and 2 diff locks)
    2016 BMW i3 (Full Electric)
    2021 Conqueror Commander Platinum

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DirkL For This Useful Post:

Thanks Roelf
    Thanks Dirk

Apologies for the delayed response, the webpage bombed out and I thought it did not postÖ.

@Roelf, Iíll have a look at that adapter thanks. Y plan was to get a 30-pin to 8-pin adapter - about R160 on Takealot to see what that does, but would ultimately like a smoother interface - got used to the Apple CarPlay on my Everest.

@Dirk, how do you find the Android operating system? Great news that the steering controls are still working. Does your GL also have the Harmon Kardon amp and speakers? I read on some forums that the guys had some trouble with that.

Does the info such as turn by turn still work on your dashboard as well?

Alpine made a X800D-ML specifically for the ML, but looks like it is discontinued, at least according to a local sound shop. Link to it https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/x800d-ml

Rivonia sound shop want R6k just for the adapter kit, then still the cost of the radio - though I am not an Android operating fan, it looks like they will be the most cost effective option.

This is the unit I'm considering.
    https://www.autotechsystems.co.za/pr...-module-cdr31/
    Rivonia Car Sound are the guys that come recommended to fit it to my Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkL View Post
    I have a 2009 GL. I assume it is very similar.

I had something like this installed. Will have to go and check the exact make and model, but the sound installation guys should know.

Lost the CD shuttle, so in stead I just downloaded a lot of Spotify playlists for when out of reception. But all steering controls are still working. Also added rear camera and front dashcam that is all integrated into the unit. Also now have up to date offline maps that helps a lot.

https://www.takealot.com/android-nav...t/PLID94739489
    Are you positive that is the exact model?

That's quite a bit cheaper than the R12k (incl installation, granted) I have been quoted for OneNav or similar units.
    Current: Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic

SWAMBO: 2020 Renault Koleos 2.5 Dynamique

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Thanks Roelf
    Thanks Dirk

@Dirk, how do you find the Android operating system? Great news that the steering controls are still working. Does your GL also have the Harmon Kardon amp and speakers? I read on some forums that the guys had some trouble with that.

Does the info such as turn by turn still work on your dashboard as well?
    I have no problem with Android; I also have an Android phone.

But I am not a heavy tech user of my car radio. If I (or my kids) can play Spotify (from our phones or directly from the car), I can listen to the radio, make and receive phone calls, and have offline navigation, then I am happy. Oh, and the reverse camera and front dash cam. That's it.

The maps also have speed limits as a bonus.

But because it is basically a tablet, you can install any app you want, such as a tyre pressure monitor app with Bluetooth valves in your tyres.

Yes, I have the Harmon Kardon amp. The sound quality is much better because of the ability to adjust the amplifier with the new unit.

The info on the dashboard (between the speedo and the rev counter) does not work, so I can not see who is calling on the dashboard or what song I am playing like before. I have to look at the unit. But that is a minor inconvenience because the screen is much bigger than the old unit. A quick glance at the screen shows you what you need to know. Initially, I missed the physical buttons of the old unit, but I do not anymore. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, and my old unit's screen went, so I had no choice anyway.

PS: I am out of town for work, so I can not go and look at precisely what OneNav unit it is.
    Dirk Lombard
    2009 Mercedes-Benz GL350cdi (For the uninformed: It has adjustable height, low-range and 2 diff locks)

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post

That's quite a bit cheaper than the R12k (incl installation, granted) I have been quoted for OneNav or similar units.
    No, not at all. Like I said in my post, this is just an example of more or less what I got. I am away for work, so I can not go and look at what OneNav model it was.

But yes, it was something like R15,000, if I remember correctly. But that included the reverse camera, front dashcam, installation, etc. I think the unit itself was around R8,000 or so.

I think they also added an adaptor to make it ďtalkĒ to the car. For things like steering wheel controls, know when you are reversing, and show when doors are open.
    Dirk Lombard

Just installed an Android unit in my Mitsubishi outlander, every things works. steering controls, factory amplifier (Rockford Fosgate) Bought is from Kakadi Car Navigation, 082 765 0483 branches in Alberton and Pretoria, installation was free, including rearview camera and GPS. 12 month warranty ( first three months they will swop the unit after that they will repair.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post

i see there are a few different units available. Also found this one https://btntools.co.za/product/benz-w164/ for R5500.

From what I could gather, the W164 had different radioís and command systems, soneed to check your specific configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkL View Post
    I have no problem with Android; I also have an Android phone.

But I am not a heavy tech user of my car radio. If I (or my kids) can play Spotify (from our phones or directly from the car), I can listen to the radio, make and receive phone calls, and have offline navigation, then I am happy. Oh, and the reverse camera and front dash cam. That's it.

The maps also have speed limits as a bonus.

But because it is basically a tablet, you can install any app you want, such as a tyre pressure monitor app with Bluetooth valves in your tyres.

Yes, I have the Harmon Kardon amp. The sound quality is much better because of the ability to adjust the amplifier with the new unit.

The info on the dashboard (between the speedo and the rev counter) does not work, so I can not see who is calling on the dashboard or what song I am playing like before. I have to look at the unit. But that is a minor inconvenience because the screen is much bigger than the old unit. A quick glance at the screen shows you what you need to know. Initially, I missed the physical buttons of the old unit, but I do not anymore. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, and my old unit's screen went, so I had no choice anyway.

PS: I am out of town for work, so I can not go and look at precisely what OneNav unit it is.
    Thanks Dirk, appreciate. Will go have a look at the providers. Mine is not a critical replacement as the unit is still workihgÖ

itís a shame about the dasboard, but think it is doable.

Safe travels

Quote Originally Posted by AndreZA View Post
    Just installed an Android unit in my Mitsubishi outlander, every things works. steering controls, factory amplifier (Rockford Fosgate) Bought is from Kakadi Car Navigation, 082 765 0483 branches in Alberton and Pretoria, installation was free, including rearview camera and GPS. 12 month warranty ( first three months they will swop the unit after that they will repair.)
    thanks Andrť, Iím in Alberton, so can make a turn.