Default Moksa's first 4x4 purchase - Fortuner

Hey guys

Sorry to Emmie for hijacking your post. I cant open a new post 😭.

I'm also in the market for a first time 4x4. I'm considering a 2012 auto fortuner 3d4d with 250k km and FSH . I also intend to eventually use this as a daily+-50km.
    What are your expert opinions on this for long term ownership and reliability. Is the manual better than auto in terms of durability and reliability?

I have been considering 3tdi Prado used, but see that many had engine issues along the way. I am avoiding the 4l V6 due to consumption and prioritise long range. Is the price of parts and repairs on Prado's significantly more that tuners?

Feel free to add on any further advice that you feel necessary

Thanks (and apologies to Emmie)
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Moksa's first 4x4 purchase - Fortuner

I'm starting this thread for Moksa so he can get advice from the Fortuner Fundi's from another thread.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Very helpful of you Emmie.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

IMHO, in ths case the auto might just be more reliable than the manual. That 4 spd auto is found in many vehicles and has proved itself many times over. Whereas the R151 manual gearbox does have its faults.

If well maintained and looked after, especially auto transmission fuid changed at times, it should be no worries.
    Last edited by Francois Theron; 2024/06/06 at 12:02 PM.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Thanks for creating the post Emmie
    Thanks for your feedback Francois Theron

Would you consider an asking price of 240k high ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moksa View Post
    Thanks for creating the post Emmie
    Thanks for your feedback Francois Theron

Would you consider an asking price of 240k high ?
    For perspective, a similar model Pajero Sport 3.2 4x4 auto with similar mileage will be available for well under R200 000. And it is as good or better than the Fortuner. So yes I think it is too much.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

The auto box should be reliable, but I have a manual and gearbox is still smooth after 342k km. Box never been opened. The price is high for a 2012 but that is due to toyota tax unfortunately.

A vehicle of that age and higher mileage will most definitely be due for replacement of some components if its hasn't been done yet. Things like control arm bushes, sway bar links, tie rods etc will start needing replacement. Not really expensive parts but add them all up and it could be costly. I bought my 2008 model 7 years ago on roughly 246k km and since then have done the items mentioned. Also had to replace waterpump, alternator and starter. Rear side shaft bearings and also the front drive shaft seals. So its quite a lot of things.

Keep that in mind, but otherwise a great vehicle. Really capable off road and not really the dreaded roll over vehicle everyone talks about.

Just to add: My vehicle is now on 342k km
    Last edited by Pjansen83; 2024/06/06 at 03:04 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pjansen83 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pjansen83 View Post
    The auto box should be reliable, but I have a manual and gearbox is still smooth after 342k km. Box never been opened. The price is high for a 2012 but that is due to toyota tax unfortunately.

A vehicle of that age and higher mileage will most definitely be due for replacement of some components if its hasn't been done yet. Things like control arm bushes, sway bar links, tie rods etc will start needing replacement. Not really expensive parts but add them all up and it could be costly. I bought my 2008 model 7 years ago on roughly 246k km and since then have done the items mentioned. Also had to replace waterpump, alternator and starter. Rear side shaft bearings and also the front drive shaft seals. So its quite a lot of things.

Keep that in mind, but otherwise a great vehicle. Really capable off road and not really the dreaded roll over vehicle everyone talks about.

Just to add: My vehicle is now on 342k km

Thanks for your input pjansen
    I'm aware that there will be some issues with older vehicles. However if those are small issues as you mentioned, then it's okay.
    I'm looking for reliability and vehicles with affordable parts, services and running costs.
    I initially wanted a Prado V6 but purchase prices are higher, and so are fuel costs. Also if there are repairs for example air suspension that is also costly.

How long do you plan on keeping your fortuner?

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    For perspective, a similar model Pajero Sport 3.2 4x4 auto with similar mileage will be available for well under R200 000. And it is as good or better than the Fortuner. So yes I think it is too much.
    Do you know if replacement parts and repairs, services are comparable to the fortuner ?

Also is the difference between the d4d and gd6 great enough to justify the increased purchase price?

Would d4d be more stable on wet roads(AWD) than gd6(2wd) (including others areas with low traction- muddy roads, snow etc)
    Last edited by Moksa; 2024/06/06 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks for your input pjansen
    I'm aware that there will be some issues with older vehicles. However if those are small issues as you mentioned, then it's okay.
    I'm looking for reliability and vehicles with affordable parts, services and running costs.
    I initially wanted a Prado V6 but purchase prices are higher, and so are fuel costs. Also if there are repairs for example air suspension that is also costly.

How long do you plan on keeping your fortuner?
    They are reliable and so far really easy to maintain. I've never struggled finding any parts and parts were always not too expensive. Service myself and costs roughly R900 to R1k for filters and oil.

I am driving this old beast until the wheels fall off.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pjansen83 For This Useful Post:

Do you know if replacement parts and repairs, services are comparable to the fortuner ?

Also is the difference between the d4d and gd6 great enough to justify the increased purchase price?

Would d4d be more stable on wet roads(AWD) than gd6(2wd) (including others areas with low traction- muddy roads, snow etc)
    I have had both and a GD6 Hilux. Parts for Fortuner definitely easier to get hold of. That said, the Pajero for me is the more enjoyable vehicle. Better on gravel and more comfortable. The GD6 is obviously more modern so not a fair comparison I think.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Is there a difference between these two fortuners besides the appearance? (Please refer to attachments)

How long can I expect the d4d engine and transmission s to last if they were serviced well ?
    Is the reports about automatic transmissions overheating important when deciding between auto and manual?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new for.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	724370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old for.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	724371  

The one on the left without bull bar is the later model. Small things were added like reverse camera and black instead of cream leather option.

Auto transmission overheat is almost always because the vehicle is laboured in HR when LR should have been selected. My experience anyway.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Would the following pictures be cause for concern?
    The vehicle has split inner CV boots which need a replacement. I'm trying to figure it this is an oil leak or grease from the CV .
    Also if the vehicle has race chip installed should it be avoided.
    Last edited by Moksa; 2024/07/02 at 06:46 PM.

Are injectors something to be worried about at about 250k km ?

Are injectors something to be worried about at about 250k km ?
    If they're the original injectors, then yes they are potentially going to need attention now or soon. They don't last forever unfortunately, and will eventually go out of spec due to wear.

Get them tested. If still within spec then drive the Fortuner until they need replacing.

NB: don't drive a D4D with out-of-spec injectors indefinitely!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to TwoStroke For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Just upgraded from my 2012 D4D manual 4x4. 280,000km, FSH. I was looking at a 2024 GD6, 2.8 for R725k. They offered me R160k trade in. WBC offered R180k. R240k is high in my opinion.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Just upgraded from my 2012 D4D manual 4x4. 280,000km, FSH. I was looking at a 2024 GD6, 2.8 for R725k. They offered me R160k trade in. WBC offered R180k. R240k is high in my opinion.
    Hope you are enjoying your new vehicle. How much of a difference is there between the two models in your experience?

I would also appreciate any input regarding nissan pathfinders compared to the fortuner and pajero sports.
    Last edited by Moksa; 2024/07/04 at 03:46 PM.