Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Private vehicle banned from Masai Mara

Quote Originally Posted by Nakoma View Post
    The confusing thing is that I asked a rental company and they say: Our cars are not private, they are land cruisers owned by a safari company. Does anyone know if it's possible to check this at Masai Mara NP themselves?

Please note that the Maasai Mara is not a national park. It belongs to Narok County and is administered by them. You need to understand the difference between game reserves and national parks in Kenya. National Parks are run by the Kenya Wildlife Service and a Board of Trustees.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I have checked this with my high-level contacts in Kenya in the tourism industry and the ban is in place for all self-drivers. The Governor of Narok has said that only licensed drivers and tour operators will be allowed to enter the Maasai Mara National Reserve. As a self-driver in a rental vehicle you will not be allowed to drive the vehicle.
    That's not the answer I was hoping for. But important to know. Thank you for the information!

UPDATE

I emailed the Mara Triangle about the ban and have been told that private vehicles can be driven in the Triangle. However, I am assuming that entrance to the Triangle would have to be via Oloololo gate only. Of course, the Purungat bridge was washed away a month ago.

Here is the link to the map of the Mara Triangle. https://www.maratriangle.org/visit/maps

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

UPDATE

I emailed the Mara Triangle about the ban and have been told that private vehicles can be driven in the Triangle. However, I am assuming that entrance to the Triangle would have to be via Oloololo gate only. Of course, the Purungat bridge was washed away a month ago.

Here is the link to the map of the Mara Triangle. https://www.maratriangle.org/visit/maps
    Thanks WW. That is really encouraging news
    Blog: Bonnievale to Burton Fleming

https://bonnievaletoburtonfleming.com/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Webster For This Useful Post:

Exclamation Re: Private vehicle banned from Masai Mara

I confirm we entered the Triangle with a rental car without any issues. Noone seemed like the ban would be applied in the Conservancy as well. We met maybe 4 other self drivers in 4 days. Maybe the situation is different in the main reserve, but if not, I do not see a point in the ban.
    The Mara bridge should be fixed by July 5th or 10th. The works are ongoing and quite impressively fast.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Asanoth For This Useful Post:

Asante sana.

As I told you, the Mara Conservancy (otherwise known as the Mara Triangle) is exempted from the self-drive ban. Good news about the Purungat bridge being rebuilt in a very quick and efficient time. Not an easy engineering project.

I look forward to more updates on your travels around Kenya.

Safari njema.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oxmanonline View Post

I note Solio Ranch have also banned private cars, I hope this isn't going to spread.
    Solio has always been a private and exclusive ranch/conservancy. I was at school in Nairobi with the owners’ daughter.

Unless one is booked into accommodation in Solio, they have never allowed self drives. Solio was, however, the first rhino breeding conservancy in Kenya and from there rhinos have been reintroduced all over Kenya. Solio is also one of the many private and linked conservancies on the Laikipia Plateau. The linked conservancies are an important, and vast area, on the plateau below Mount Kenya.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2024/07/02 at 01:08 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Hello everyone,
    I got a bit nervous when I started reading this message, but fortunately, it appears we can enter the Mara Triangle. I have already rented a 4x4 for September 2025 and reserved the campsites Dirisha, Olaro and Kiboko Campsite for the first 3 weeks of September 2025.
    However, what I don't really understand is how to get there now. Apparently, I'm not allowed to drive through the other reserves to reach the Purungat gate via Kenya. Does this mean I have to drive through a reserve where I'm not allowed to enter? Is the Oloololo gate the only option? Does anyone have more information about this?

Thank you in advance for your help and feedback!

Best regards,

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by jpseekles View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I got a bit nervous when I started reading this message, but fortunately, it appears we can enter the Mara Triangle. I have already rented a 4x4 for September 2025 and reserved the campsites Dirisha, Olaro and Kiboko Campsite for the first 3 weeks of September 2025.
    However, what I don't really understand is how to get there now. Apparently, I'm not allowed to drive through the other reserves to reach the Purungat gate via Kenya. Does this mean I have to drive through a reserve where I'm not allowed to enter? Is the Oloololo gate the only option? Does anyone have more information about this?

Thank you in advance for your help and feedback!

Best regards,

Johan
    The ban may well be rescinded by September 2025. However, there has always been a road (a shocker but a public road nevertheless) from near Ngorengore to Oloololo gate. This road goes through Lemek and Mara Rianta. You will see this road even on Google maps.

See this link (but ignore the first directions via Sekanani gate as this is where the ban is in place). https://www.maratriangle.org/driving...ara-triangle-2

Have a great time!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

And see this from the June monthly report by the Mara Conservancy (Triangle). From this link https://www.maratriangle.org/november-2016-1/june-2024

There was a directive that private cars would not be allowed into the Reserve, this has been quietly forgotten and there are currently no restrictions on private cars. The 10-year Management Plan talks of restricting two-wheel drive cars in the Low Use Zone, that will probably be implemented.”

Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2024/07/14 at 10:04 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

WW with current and encouraging news agan. Thank you!

As for the C13 through Mara Rialta and Lemek, it's not that bad approach, if your destination is Mara Triangle. It is not that comfortable as the newly tarred road to Sekenani gate, and you don't drive through the reserve (with plenty of wildlife arround) to reach the Triangle, but you still drive through Mara North conservancy, with guaranteed sightings of at least the common gazelles along the road.

The road itself shuld be fine in the dry season (September). But after the rain, it becomes the mudslide, due to the cotton soil terain. Yes, even the road itself becomes a sticky mess. At one occasion in January, we barely made it out of the road dich by engaging diff lock in low range 4x4.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

The ban may well be rescinded by September 2025. However, there has always been a road (a shocker but a public road nevertheless) from near Ngorengore to Oloololo gate. This road goes through Lemek and Mara Rianta. You will see this road even on Google maps.

See this link (but ignore the first directions via Sekanani gate as this is where the ban is in place). https://www.maratriangle.org/driving...ara-triangle-2

Have a great time!

Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate your tips. Fortunately, everything seems to be back to normal after reading the latest messages.

Kind regards

Johan

And see this from the June monthly report by the Mara Conservancy (Triangle). From this link https://www.maratriangle.org/november-2016-1/june-2024

There was a directive that private cars would not be allowed into the Reserve, this has been quietly forgotten and there are currently no restrictions on private cars. The 10-year Management Plan talks of restricting two-wheel drive cars in the Low Use Zone, that will probably be implemented.”

Thank you for this update. As I understand it, this means that all 4x4s can go through the Masai Mara again, which is great news.

Kind regards

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    WW with current and encouraging news agan. Thank you!

As for the C13 through Mara Rialta and Lemek, it's not that bad approach, if your destination is Mara Triangle. It is not that comfortable as the newly tarred road to Sekenani gate, and you don't drive through the reserve (with plenty of wildlife arround) to reach the Triangle, but you still drive through Mara North conservancy, with guaranteed sightings of at least the common gazelles along the road.

The road itself shuld be fine in the dry season (September). But after the rain, it becomes the mudslide, due to the cotton soil terain. Yes, even the road itself becomes a sticky mess. At one occasion in January, we barely made it out of the road dich by engaging diff lock in low range 4x4.
    Ortelius, thanks again for your advice and tips. They’re always much appreciated!

Kind regards

Johan

JP, I think you might have misunderstood the report. Noone can tell you what will be in September 2025, but as of last June (24), private vehicles were not allowed into the main reserve, they were only allowed into the Triangle. Therefore, the only way to the Triangle was via the Oloololo gate, taking C13 (unfortunately); even just crossing the main reserve was not allowed (this was of little practical impact, as the Mara Bridge was down, but still). Not that I tested this, but so I was told by the Triangle rangers.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Asanoth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Asanoth View Post
    JP, I think you might have misunderstood the report. Noone can tell you what will be in September 2025, but as of last June (24), private vehicles were not allowed into the main reserve, they were only allowed into the Triangle. Therefore, the only way to the Triangle was via the Oloololo gate, taking C13 (unfortunately); even just crossing the main reserve was not allowed (this was of little practical impact, as the Mara Bridge was down, but still). Not that I tested this, but so I was told by the Triangle rangers.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2