Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jockey wheel clamp lever failure

Hi
    We were on a three weeks road trip in March this year and just before departure from our second last stop, the lever that tightens the jockey wheel clamp snapped off as I was loosening the jockey wheel to place it on its peg. The bottom part of the threaden portion of the lever was now stuck in the female area that it goes into. I had, fortunately, just hooked our XpeditionPod to the vehicle. Imagine if the jockey wheel lever snapped if the caravan had not been hooked up - it would crush one's foot!
    We were departing from Bergkwagga National Park heading towards Bloemfontein and it was the Saturday during Easter Weekend. Through the helpfull members of the Kampmal group on Facebook, I managed to get a new clamp in Bloemfontein and another good Samaritan removed the piece that had broken off in the existing clamp, and with the new clamp's lever, we were ready to go again.
    What I want to bring to all's attention, is to ensure that the lever does not tighten against the A-frame's steel. Either there should be a hole in the A-frame, or the lever's threaded portion should be a bit shorter to prevent it from "bottoming" against the A-frame's steel. In the comments on Facebook, I read that this same problem has happened to others also. So, our situation was not unique. One would think that Roadque and other manufacturers of the jockey wheel clamps would have their design checked for such possibility, and to manufacture the lever to prevent this from happening.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hettasch For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Jockey wheel clamp lever failure

When our Sundowner came back from the last service at Bushwakka, I noticed there were new bolts on the jockey wheel clamp. I asked what I had missed, and the reply was the clamp had been removed and a hole drilled into the A-frame to prevent damaging the clamp bolt. It is their standard practice to use new bolts when re-installing the clamp.
    Last edited by mcowell; 2024/06/08 at 03:00 PM.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

https://www.adendorff.co.za/mac-afri...-lbs-gjackx451

This is the answer if it is able to fit.

Have had one on my boat trailer for 3 years now and another on our company flatbed trailer for about 4 years. No more damaged wheels, no more swearing at tight levers and no stripped/ broken levers just ease of use.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2024 Isuzu D-MAX 3.0 DDI LSE 4X4 A/T E/CAB
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

This mod saved me a few times when clamp was not properly tightend. Make a few welding spots on shaft so that it cannot slip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220215_204551.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	724071  

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thilo For This Useful Post:

Great idea!!!
    Jan Lategan

'18 Ford Ranger DC XLS Auto 4x4
    '07 Mercedes C180 Compressor
    '06 Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    https://www.adendorff.co.za/mac-afri...-lbs-gjackx451

This is the answer if it is able to fit.

Have had one on my boat trailer for 3 years now and another on our company flatbed trailer for about 4 years. No more damaged wheels, no more swearing at tight levers and no stripped/ broken levers just ease of use.
    How does this jack work? Can it still be removed and stored separately easily? How does it clamp on?

I am going to measure and see if it will lift my Xplorer high enough. I like the lever design and dependant on the ease of clamping, will definately be on my shopping list.

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    How does this jack work? Can it still be removed and stored separately easily? How does it clamp on?

I am going to measure and see if it will lift my Xplorer high enough. I like the lever design and dependant on the ease of clamping, will definately be on my shopping list.

CATS

As I said, really easy to use and you don't need to remove it because it stows out of the way.

I replaced three wheels on a standard jockey wheel setup because they hanged too low in the stowed position before I changed to this type on my boat trailer. Haven't needed to do so since because it is out of the way.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2024 Isuzu D-MAX 3.0 DDI LSE 4X4 A/T E/CAB
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

This is why Iíve always used two jockey wheels.

The main one being a proper double-wheel which stays on the peg when travelling.

Second one a normal one but it does help to level the van, and also act as a fail safe when you have a slip. It is also out of the way enough not to plough in thick sand as itís only about two inches lower than the a-frame.

And I carry a spare clamp for the main one when travelling. Had a failure recently where the thread got stripped but I was able to use the normal wheel to keep it up and bolt on the new clamp for the main jockey.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dilligafrican For This Useful Post:

I had a similar issue with the Burquip jockey wheel clamp on my Baobab. Eventually replaced it with a much sturdier unit from AL-KO.

No further problems.

Thread here:

Bush Lapa general discussions - Page 16 (4x4community.co.za)

Johan
    VW Amarok V6 Canyon - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow

Quote Originally Posted by Thilo View Post
    This mod saved me a few times when clamp was not properly tightend. Make a few welding spots on shaft so that it cannot slip.
    Great idea.

My inlaws had the exact thing happen earlier in the year on their Bushwakka Sundowner. Dropped to the ground/jockey wheel. Luckily all body parts were out of the way. At home we replaced the bracket and drilled the A-frame for this reason as well.

I suppose there are multiple causes for this to happen. I think the bolt might be about 5mm to long for the application, but as new clamp would work perfectly. However once worked and bit worn, the jockey wheel could have dented a bit and causing the 'over' tightening of the clamp leading to bolt snapping and deformation of clamp itself possibly.

Strange that not many have thought of this precaution when manufacturing the parts.

It'd be interesting to see the fit between the clamp and the tube of the wheel.
    I cant help thinking that the 2 are differently sized, ie: the tube is a size too small for the clamp, for example, which then has the bolt going in too far and bottoming out, causing the bolt to fail or something similar.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Why not just saw off the threaded rod piece that it does not bottom out? There is enough thread in the female part to be safe.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25
    Satphone - Rental supplier

I had an issue camping 3 weeks ago. While using the back jacks to level the front jockey wheel failed causing the tow hitch to hit the ground. Can be so grateful nobodyís foot was under it, as they would have been minus a foot now if it was the case. Had to use a car jack to jack it up and reset the jockey wheel. Must be honest Iím not very trusting of the system now.

Can't you just put a couple of washers on the lever's side?
    Iwan
    2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2DiD SWB (Gen4)
    Invader Quattro

Quote Originally Posted by Fordie View Post
    I had an issue camping 3 weeks ago. While using the back jacks to level the front jockey wheel failed causing the tow hitch to hit the ground. Can be so grateful nobodyís foot was under it, as they would have been minus a foot now if it was the case. Had to use a car jack to jack it up and reset the jockey wheel. Must be honest Iím not very trusting of the system now.
    If you cannot lift the tow hitch by hand the towball weight is too heavy. Should be at 100kg (and at most 140kg for offroad wagons)
    Just saying.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oubie View Post
    Can't you just put a couple of washers on the lever's side?
    That's what I did and is an easy solution.
    Ben
    2020 Amarok V6 Highline Plus
    2021 Bush Lapa Boskriek #2377

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Windsock For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    If you cannot lift the tow hitch by hand the towball weight is too heavy. Should be at 100kg (and at most 140kg for offroad wagons)
    Just saying.

Most old ballies won't be able to lift 100kg's from ground level with one arm, never mind 140kgs

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dilligafrican For This Useful Post:

I am reaching 70 in a month and I can still. Just normal built. Legs widespread with two hands and another person to set the jockey. Unless you had back problems before...
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Why not just saw off the threaded rod piece that it does not bottom out? There is enough thread in the female part to be safe.
    Agree now that one knows that it can happen, but unfortunately (I think) the majority of owners would not think of doing that when purchasing their new caravan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast