Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Jockey wheel clamp lever failure

Quote Originally Posted by Oubie View Post
    Can't you just put a couple of washers on the lever's side?
    Agree, now that one knows that it can happen, but (I think) most people wouldn't think of this when purchasing their new caravan.

Unhappy Re: Jockey wheel clamp lever failure

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    If you cannot lift the tow hitch by hand the towball weight is too heavy. Should be at 100kg (and at most 140kg for offroad wagons)
    Just saying.
    I definitely cannot lift that weight by hand, and back and knees!

Quote Originally Posted by Hettasch View Post
    Agree now that one knows that it can happen, but unfortunately (I think) the majority of owners would not think of doing that when purchasing their new caravan.
    And, in all fairness, nor should they have to consider it.
    That is fundamentally a weak design.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

There cannot be too many of us old timers who have not lost a jockey wheel for one reason or other, normally due to it coming loose and dropping down, getting trashed on the road-then there was the time a guy passed me and tried to give me the my own jockey wheel through the passenger window! It flew past him and he stopped and picked it up. Nice guy.

At the end of the day it is a friction device so it's security depends on being clean, straight, properly tight and not overloaded. If it hangs below the A frame, it could hit the ground in a dip and either work loose or be bent, or both. When I am traveling on good roads, I secure it in the normal way (don't drill more holes in the A Frame! Shorten the threaded part or use washers as suggested elsewhere) but then I take a strip of rubber car tube about 1m long and tie it around the bottom of the jockey and over the A Frame- then it cannot drop down. On bad roads, I remove it and stow it in a sack.

I also carry a lightweight folding car stand and a bottle jack. Comes in handy if you have to change a wheel, but I always place the stand under the A Frame if I need to gain access underneath the caravan-I never trust a friction device that much.

Quote Originally Posted by rob wilson View Post
    There cannot be too many of us old timers who have not lost a jockey wheel for one reason or other, normally due to it coming loose……………..
    I recall your Marble camp episode! Hope you doing well, loved your setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2