Default Kruger - South to North

Hi all,

We are taking a camping trip in June/July up to Punda.
    My booking confirmation shows there are renovations at Letaba. Anyone can confirm if this is still ongoing?

Then driving form Punda back to Jhb, what is the "best" road to take? Will be traveling back to Jhb on a Saturday.

Thanks

Default Re: Kruger - South to North

Renovations can mean anything, but last year Sept they were busy with some of the chalets (those behind the admin block) and I assume they will do that in phases. Also, some work was done on the permanent tents close to the campsite.
    If you are concerned about noise, I doubt if you need be. That campsite is big enough to pitch camp away from the noise.

From Punda, you can exit via Phalaborwa, which will be a long day in view of the speed restriction within the Park.
    Exit via Punda gate, and you have the option of the route via Thohoyandou/Louis Trichardt/N1, or via Gyani/Polokwane/N1. I did the latter (on a Sunday) and find it to be a very quiet and good condition road. Typical rural "urbanisation", with some domestic animals and speed bumps close to schools. No potholes. I found it a very quiet and relaxed drive. Left Pta about 7, and pitched tent at lunchtime in Punda.
    Via Thohoyandou, very much the same, but "urban" over a longer distance and higher population densities. Personally, I dislike the N1 between Polokwane and Louis Trichardt. Kierie on the forum did that route recently and posted some feedback. Same-same.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Went out at Pafuri gate the year before last as this gave us the opportunity to leave Punda early, go up to Crooks Corner and still get out the gate around lunchtime to head back home. Will probably do the same again at the end of the year.
    Roads were decent between the gate and the N1.
    Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most... Occasionally I find it in the bush only to lose it again when returning to "civilization".

Current: "Sandvlooi" 2024 Suzuki Jimny 5 Door
    Previous: "The Tractor" 2016 Isuzu KB250 DC 2WD with Diff Lock
    SWAMBO: 2023 Toyota Corolla Cross

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DennisN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DennisN View Post
    Went out at Pafuri gate the year before last as this gave us the opportunity to leave Punda early, go up to Crooks Corner and still get out the gate around lunchtime to head back home. Will probably do the same again at the end of the year.
    Roads were decent between the gate and the N1.
    Jip, actually my favourite choice, due to Pafuri/Crooks Corner. Enter/exit on a high!

Are there issues with diesel and card payments in the northern parts of Kruger?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark_1000 View Post
    Never had any problems. But carry a few randelas just in case.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Came back from KNP on Monday.

Could not fill up with card at Letaba or Satara - only cash.

We did not go higher up, so don't know about the more northern camps.

Managed to fill up with card at Olifants
    Last edited by LegoDawie; 2024/06/07 at 08:07 AM.
    2014 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS
    Ex: 2011 Mahindra Scorpio 2.5 GLX 4x4

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LegoDawie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark_1000 View Post
    Have filled up and paid by card at Punda, Satara and Skukuza all in the last 10 days. No issues.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Gen4 LWB Exceed
    Afrispoor Cheetah

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewC For This Useful Post:

I'm heading to Punda in just over a week. I have recently received news that Punda had sewage problems. Is this still a problem? Would love to go mentally prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty road View Post
    I'm heading to Punda in just over a week. I have recently received news that Punda had sewage problems. Is this still a problem? Would love to go mentally prepared.
    The ablutions next to the bird hide have a perpetual sewage problem, Camp some distance away.
    The top one is quieter in any case

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
    Have filled up and paid by card at Punda, Satara and Skukuza all in the last 10 days. No issues.
    Satara filling station has an issue with card payments when there are power problems. Either the generator doesn't drive the filling station or the cell towers go down and there is a Comms failure.

I always carry an emergency cash amount for a tank of fuel, just in case.

Just returned from Kruger again yesterday.

We visited Letaba, Olifants, Satara, Pretoriuskop and Berg en Dal this month, and we made use of Phalaborwa, Orpen and Malelane gates.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I have never seen the ablutions in camp and the toilets at the gates this clean. Also, the accommodation in the camps were clean, with no issues. Some bungalows we stayed in even had new mattresses. At all 3 gates and 5 camps, staff were friendly and helpful.

The only negative was the prices at the shops. The shops were always expensive, but they seem to get more ridiculous by the month. At Pretoriuskop, they charge R68 for a bag of wood. In said bag there are only 7 relatively large pieces of wood - so basically R10 a piece.

I filled up at Phalaborwa and did not try to fill up in the camps. At Letaba, cell phone and internet receptions dropped often, so they have problems with card payments from time to time. I had to pay in cash at the shop a few times because of this.

All in all, we had a great holiday as usual!
    2014 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS
    Ex: 2011 Mahindra Scorpio 2.5 GLX 4x4

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LegoDawie For This Useful Post: