Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,142
    Thanked: 1584

    Default STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    //Botswana has granted an operating licence to Starlink, the satellite internet service owned by SpaceX, three weeks after a government delegation met with the SpaceX team in the US.

    The licensing comes three months after the Botswana Communications and Regulatory Authority (BOCRA), rejected Starlink’s operating license application citing missing information. The importation, sale and use of Starlink was banned shortly after.

    This week’s turnaround to grant Starlink a licence follows a meeting between the SpaceX team and President Mokgweetsi in the US at the Africa-US Business Forum in Dallas, Texas.

    “After the meeting [with SpaceX], I immediately decided to agree to the licensing of Starlink in the country,” President Masisi said. President Masisi said that he had given the regulator two weeks to fast-track Starlink’s license application following the meeting.

    Botswana is the latest southern African nation to license Starlink following Zimbabwe which approved the service last week Friday. Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa ordered the country’s regulator to fast-track the application process.

    By licensing Starlink, the country is looking to bridge the connectivity gap in the 2.6 million population nation. Currently, although the country has an internet penetration rate of 87%, it has one of the most expensive data prices in Africa.//
    1997 Discovery 1 300tdi "Pussy Galore" SOLD
    1996 Discovery 1 V8 - Mr Creosote
    1983 W123 240D Mercedes Benz - Oksana SOLD
    1984 W123 230E Mercedes Benz - James
    1998 Discovery 1 300tdi "Pussy Galore II"

    “When I dine after a hard day’s work, I like serenity, calm, good food, cold beverages.” – Winston Churchill

  2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MickeyBlue42 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    64
    Posts
    3,179
    Thanked: 8642

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    Ja, I wonder if Elon will ever budge on the South African requirement that sales agencies in the country must have a 30% BEE component. Seems he's stubborn enough to resist, even when it's not the government suffering with the result but us.

    I wonder if he realises that access to the internet in the rural areas is good for education and therefore for democracy.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,055
    Thanked: 4148

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    And meanwhile, in retardistan, our stupid racist communist government DEMANDS free stuff from Elon - stuff them !!!
    Willem


    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

    Toyotota Rav4 4 door - rooi gevaar


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Manhattan Beach
    Posts
    52
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Ja, I wonder if Elon will ever budge on the South African requirement that sales agencies in the country must have a 30% BEE component. Seems he's stubborn enough to resist, even when it's not the government suffering with the result but us.

    I wonder if he realises that access to the internet in the rural areas is good for education and therefore for democracy.
    I assume you are joking about education and democracy. Musk
    has proven many times who he usually sides with. JMO. Cherie

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to cccole For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    67
    Posts
    24,617
    Thanked: 21129

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Ja, I wonder if Elon will ever budge on the South African requirement that sales agencies in the country must have a 30% BEE component. Seems he's stubborn enough to resist, even when it's not the government suffering with the result but us.

    I wonder if he realises that access to the internet in the rural areas is good for education and therefore for democracy.
    Do you think it does.? I am not sure.

    Unless you are REALY rural at the moment internet coverage is pretty good/excellent in SA at the moment.

    The democracy part - for sure not. It will only spread socialist/communist propaganda at an alarming rate.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2024/05/29 at 09:27 PM.
    Cheers

    NAGOF

    HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

    Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    64
    Posts
    3,179
    Thanked: 8642

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Do you think it does.? I am not sure.

    Unless you are REALY rural at the moment internet coverage is pretty good/excellent in SA at the moment.

    The democracy part - for sure not. It will only spread socialist/communist propaganda at an alarming rate.
    Any country that wants to stop the free flow of information, ideas - especially ones critical of the government cuts off internet first. Propaganda is supplied by government tools like social grants, food packages, they don't use or need internet or comms.

    And no, whoever asked if I'm serious about education, why would I be joking?. The ability to bring top teaching to schools via remote is a game changer. Pointless just saying I'm joking, give a thoughtful response on why you think I'm wrong rather. Don't restrict your thinking to government schools, think NGOs that could use comms to assist.

    And education is good for democracy because educated people are more thoughtful and don't fall for the usual vacuous nonsense that uneducated people are prone to.
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2024/05/29 at 11:21 PM.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    48
    Posts
    243
    Thanked: 62

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Ja, I wonder if Elon will ever budge on the South African requirement that sales agencies in the country must have a 30% BEE component. Seems he's stubborn enough to resist, even when it's not the government suffering with the result but us.

    I wonder if he realises that access to the internet in the rural areas is good for education and therefore for democracy.
    I am not sure that BEE is the reason but if it is then BEE has not helped this country one bit except corruption. Show me one government organization that has succeeded except SARS which basically looking for more ways to take your money.

    I agree help the people but more people need to stand-up against this. BEE does not stand for “All people” only a selected race.

    Rather then put the 30% to a fund for education which gets properly controlled but private company, but this will not happen as that money if it lands into forced BEE hands is going to end up in corruption.

    As any other business you can become a distributor or reseller.

    Why does the government need to add BEE?? This will help the country immensely and educate many more people. I tell you why, because the current government don’t there people to be educated. With 62% of joblessness in SA this can open many more doors.

    It does seem to be true but I recall reading something about ICASA?

    https://www.biznews.com/global-citiz...-musk-starlink
    Admin removed

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Land Cruiser For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    64
    Posts
    3,179
    Thanked: 8642

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    Quote Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
    I am not sure that BEE is the reason but if it is then BEE has not helped this country one bit except corruption. Show me one government organization that has succeeded except SARS which basically looking for more ways to take your money.

    I agree help the people but more people need to stand-up against this. BEE does not stand for “All people” only a selected race.

    Rather then put the 30% to a fund for education which gets properly controlled but private company, but this will not happen as that money if it lands into forced BEE hands is going to end up in corruption.

    As any other business you can become a distributor or reseller.

    Why does the government need to add BEE?? This will help the country immensely and educate many more people. I tell you why, because the current government don’t there people to be educated. With 62% of joblessness in SA this can open many more doors.

    It does seem to be true but I recall reading something about ICASA?

    https://www.biznews.com/global-citiz...-musk-starlink
    You're correct, ICASA does need to issue an operators license, but it's not difficult. The major impediment (I believe) is satisfying local ownership laws relating to BEE.

    This isn't a debate as to whether BEE is good or bad, that's a whole thread on its own (mostly separating the BEE from cadre enrichment, crony capitalism and pure tenderpreneurship), but enabling a useful technology.

    But you make a valid point, perhaps it's less about the "BEE" itself but who that BEE is. With Patrice Motsepe (Ramaposer brother-in-law) a big player in the market, maybe it's just an impasse about local partners or just ICASA inertia.
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2024/05/30 at 05:25 AM.

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mossel Bay
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,015
    Thanked: 756

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Do you think it does.? I am not sure.
    I have to agree. One has to have a willingness to learn.

    My employees (Salaries R8000-R15000pm) rather play stupid games on their phones than watch an informative Youtube video.
    Cobus
    Jimny

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jab2 For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    May 2023
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 29

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Any country that wants to stop the free flow of information, ideas - especially ones critical of the government cuts off internet first. Propaganda is supplied by government tools like social grants, food packages, they don't use or need internet or comms.

    And no, whoever asked if I'm serious about education, why would I be joking?. The ability to bring top teaching to schools via remote is a game changer. Pointless just saying I'm joking, give a thoughtful response on why you think I'm wrong rather. Don't restrict your thinking to government schools, think NGOs that could use comms to assist.

    And education is good for democracy because educated people are more thoughtful and don't fall for the usual vacuous nonsense that uneducated people are prone to.
    Yeah sorry I'm cranky right now, and going to call nonsense on that. I have a colleague with a PhD who made a case the other day for voting cANCer because "they built RDP houses and put black men at the heads of institutions". The internet does not make people more thoughtful. It just feeds into you to whatever predilections you have, including gullibility. It does not create critical thinking from scratch. And also, in a country like this, I'm sure everyone from petty to organized criminals find the internet a treasure trove of resources to help them.

    Good for Botswana. And if I was a billionaire expat who was told 30% of my company needed to be in the hands of what will inevitably be incompetent corrupt loafers, I would also say, "stuff you". Good for Elon.

  17. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to YesDear For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    74
    Posts
    7,817
    Thanked: 3050

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    Hey guys, you are here on the Botswana Forum, spare all your ICASA and ANC and commi s#17 for the SA side of the story

    For Botswana is certainly a good move, we are even further from the mainstream data connections and need to kneel on NAM and SA carpets to be connected for high speed links.

    Thanks our Preez for the initiative to overrule the bean counters at BOCRA.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    64
    Posts
    3,179
    Thanked: 8642

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    Quote Originally Posted by YesDear View Post
    Yeah sorry I'm cranky right now, and going to call nonsense on that. I have a colleague with a PhD who made a case the other day for voting cANCer because "they built RDP houses and put black men at the heads of institutions". The internet does not make people more thoughtful. It just feeds into you to whatever predilections you have, including gullibility. It does not create critical thinking from scratch. And also, in a country like this, I'm sure everyone from petty to organized criminals find the internet a treasure trove of resources to help them.

    Good for Botswana. And if I was a billionaire expat who was told 30% of my company needed to be in the hands of what will inevitably be incompetent corrupt loafers, I would also say, "stuff you". Good for Elon.
    So you're backing ignorance rather than education to make people more discerning, because you've got an educated idiot that you know?

    The ANC are doing a sterling job of keeping the population uneducated, so we're in the pound seats.

    Edit - you do know that Elon doesn't need to give 30% of Starlink to the ANC, it's a 30% shareholding in the South African distribution network. I disagree with the principle, but there's no getting around it. I just think that having access to Starlink is better for the country in general than not. But, such is life.

    Must confess to being surprised that there seems to be consensus that restricting information is a better way to break the hold the ANC has over the country.
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2024/05/30 at 06:58 PM.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:


  22. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,699
    Thanked: 2413

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    Lets keep it CLEAN guys.We are soo interested in this topic, especially with connection in remote areas. To continue working during the mid day when are not busy. It could also help with not using satellite phone, opting for VOICE call or Video Chat. Internet here in Botswana is very expensive and I guess lodges operating in remote areas are soo interested in this.
    If someone can get us to a link for pricing and all requirements.
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2024/05/30 at 08:30 PM.

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion (SOLD Dec 2020)
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:


  24. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bronkhorstspruit
    Age
    48
    Posts
    214
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    Lets keep it CLEAN guys.We are soo interested in this topic, especially with connection in remote areas. To continue working during the mid day when are not busy. It could also help with not using satellite phone, opting for VOICE call or Video Chat. Internet here in Botswana is very expensive and I guess lodges operating in remote areas are soo interested in this.
    If someone can get us to a link for pricing and all requirements.
    The pricing will be soon on Starlinks website. Im also waiting to see pricing.
    Jan van Gerve
    OffTheGrid4x4SA
    2011 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4
    2014 Toyota Etios 1.5 HB

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to janvg For This Useful Post:


  26. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    48
    Posts
    243
    Thanked: 62

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    I am just pissed! because if I want one I cannot because you know why.

    As I think it is a fantastic tool not just for remote sites but for normal business.
    Admin removed

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Land Cruiser For This Useful Post:


  28. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    George
    Age
    70
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    On topic, during a recent stay @Mountain Zebra there was a Dutch overlander with a starlink setup. Obviously once you have one our dearly loved govt can’t stop you from using it. Am seriously thinking of getting one (maybe from Bots now) for when we’re travelling. Just a thought for those who can source one from outside SA

  29. #17
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hoedpsruit
    Age
    42
    Posts
    69
    Thanked: 10

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    We have one, internet speeds are very high and reliable compared to what else is available for the area.
    I cant help but think how these could help rural school learners as mobile data in SA is an absolute rip off, it even expires.
    Good for Bots! Good for Zim! Good for Elon! Bad for the average SA citizen getting ripped off on a daily basis!!
    Has anyone crossed borders with once, IE Komati Poort?
    If I take mine to moz so I can work on holiday will I get in back onto SA without issues? I suppose I would have to declare it?

  30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tolman For This Useful Post:


  31. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    62
    Posts
    312
    Thanked: 222

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    From my understanding from clients working in the telecoms industry, yes, the BBBEE is an issue but not the main one.
    Just think how big the sector is and, the number of people employed, including all the ancillary industries, all the big players are listed companies, with stellar performances.
    Think of the revenue loss to the fiscus……
    I am sure most people on this forum are directly or indirectly invested in these entities.
    The market capital lost will be equivalent to another Steinhoff, and the public will begin with everyone saying the government did not do enough to look after their investments.
    It’s a difficult problem, yes, we want Starlink, but not to the detriment of the economy
    2017 Pajero Sport 2.4 d
    XCape

    Bicycles Plenty

    BMW GS 800 A

    2015 Pajero Sport 2.5 d (sold)
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 d (sold)

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody62 For This Useful Post:


  33. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Warmbad
    Age
    81
    Posts
    187
    Thanked: 109

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    I have it on good authority that MTN has bought into Starlink which may mean that we in South Africa will see the result by 2025.

  34. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    78
    Posts
    93
    Thanked: 53

    Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

    I am a little surprised at the arguments raised on this issue. Surely the only one that matters is that Starlink offers more choice, the essential element of a true market economy.

  35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris Marshall For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •