Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: STARLINK - Hot off the press!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody62 View Post
    From my understanding from clients working in the telecoms industry, yes, the BBBEE is an issue but not the main one.
    Just think how big the sector is and, the number of people employed, including all the ancillary industries, all the big players are listed companies, with stellar performances.
    Think of the revenue loss to the fiscus……
    I am sure most people on this forum are directly or indirectly invested in these entities.
    The market capital lost will be equivalent to another Steinhoff, and the public will begin with everyone saying the government did not do enough to look after their investments.
    It’s a difficult problem, yes, we want Starlink, but not to the detriment of the economy
    Your argument is based on some rather flawed foundations.

Firstly, satellite internet is the new technology, landlines were taken over by mobile phones and so will the current technology of internet provision be by satellite tech.
    Secondly, what happened to competition?
    Satellite internet might just be good for the economy.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Ja, I wonder if Elon will ever budge on the South African requirement that sales agencies in the country must have a 30% BEE component. Seems he's stubborn enough to resist, even when it's not the government suffering with the result but us.

I wonder if he realises that access to the internet in the rural areas is good for education and therefore for democracy.
    Our government does not care, why should he?

Why all the discussion about South Africa and Starlink, this is about Starlink in Botswana.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fred56 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fred56 View Post
    Why all the discussion about South Africa and Starlink, this is about Starlink in Botswana.

As said in post #11
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wheatiesza View Post
    On topic, during a recent stay @Mountain Zebra there was a Dutch overlander with a starlink setup. Obviously once you have one our dearly loved govt can’t stop you from using it. Am seriously thinking of getting one (maybe from Bots now) for when we’re travelling. Just a thought for those who can source one from outside SA
    It's illegal, so don't do it anywhere where Starlink are having a "discussion" with the local licensing authority. You'll lose your account.

From my understanding from clients working in the telecoms industry, yes, the BBBEE is an issue but not the main one.
    Just think how big the sector is and, the number of people employed, including all the ancillary industries, all the big players are listed companies, with stellar performances.
    I am sure most people on this forum are directly or indirectly invested in these entities.
    The market capital lost will be equivalent to another Steinhoff, and the public will begin with everyone saying the government did not do enough to look after their investments.
    It’s a difficult problem, yes, we want Starlink, but not to the detriment of the economy

It is not as if it is mahala or even cheap. Not for the masses?

We are all blaming government ... yes they are part of the resistance ... but can you imagine the pressure government is under from the likes of MTN Vodacom CellC and all the other service providers who have invested billions in the mobile and fibre infrastructures. Most of us who can afford Starlink will migrate from the existing service provider as fast as Skylink downloads. So its more likely to "big business" thats behind the retardation.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ross McLean Calder For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ross McLean Calder View Post
    We are all blaming government ... yes they are part of the resistance ... but can you imagine the pressure government is under from the likes of MTN Vodacom CellC and all the other service providers who have invested billions in the mobile and fibre infrastructures. Most of us who can afford Starlink will migrate from the existing service provider as fast as Skylink downloads. So its more likely to "big business" thats behind the retardation.
    I highly doubt the rollout of Starlink in SA will bother the current mobile and broadband operators that much.

Starlink offers much, but it aint cheap and even though I can afford it, I will surely not be making the change if they ever get approved in SA. I need fast broadband internet at home. Other than that, my cell coverage is more than enough for the odd trip here and there.

I would say Starlink will supplement rather than curb.

It will give those that do not have an option with the current providers means to connect. So it's not like Starlink is taking away a customer from a already operating company.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately the above is 100% true.......

You have 2 ackages(I am spain based). A fixed location and a travelling package for campers and RV´s. I pay 50 euro or 1000zar pm. That is expensive for what it is compared to landline deals in the UK or towns here in ES. infact, 250zar for unlimited fibre is the basic norm however we live on the side of a mountain. Water by truck, electric by solar and batteries. We previously had radio antenna internet and phones picked up masts as plan B in intenet dropped. With starlink we have gone from 1.8mb down/0.8 up to 350mb down/150 up. We have 12 to 16 devices connected, kids game online, we stream HD no issues and can do video calls with work no problems. To us in the gopse, it has been a game changer. Would it have been in a village or town??...I wouldnt have botherd but military for example is all over this.

Previous satelite solutions had massive latency issues. I tried a stelite setup in the UK many years ago... It get sent back after 1 week. This is excellent.
    304AMC CJ-7.... The economical version
    5.0 V8 600Cfm Holley, Custom pipes, Edelbrock inlet mani.
    Land Rover 101Forward Control Axles.
    4" Suspension Lift, 2" Body Lift
    On 35's...but not for long..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Farway For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    You have 2 ackages(I am spain based). A fixed location and a travelling package for campers and RV´s. I pay 50 euro or 1000zar pm. That is expensive for what it is compared to landline deals in the UK or towns here in ES. infact, 250zar for unlimited fibre is the basic norm however we live on the side of a mountain. Water by truck, electric by solar and batteries. We previously had radio antenna internet and phones picked up masts as plan B in intenet dropped. With starlink we have gone from 1.8mb down/0.8 up to 350mb down/150 up. We have 12 to 16 devices connected, kids game online, we stream HD no issues and can do video calls with work no problems. To us in the gopse, it has been a game changer. Would it have been in a village or town??...I wouldnt have botherd but military for example is all over this.

Previous satelite solutions had massive latency issues. I tried a stelite setup in the UK many years ago... It get sent back after 1 week. This is excellent.
    This is the kind of information I wanted. The numbers and what happens when I change. I guess I have decided now.

Ja, I wonder if Elon will ever budge on the South African requirement that sales agencies in the country must have a 30% BEE component. Seems he's stubborn enough to resist, even when it's not the government suffering with the result but us.

I wonder if he realises that access to the internet in the rural areas is good for education and therefore for democracy.
    ----------------
    Why should Elon give away 30% of his company to the Thieving anc gvt?? They have strongarmed every Industry - from Eskom- Transnet- SAA and The Water supply Consortium from The Lesotho Water supply - and bankrupted everyone of them after pocketing ZARBILLIONS - with NO thoughht of the "suffering masses"!! I say GOOD ON Elon - the masses ( including us as you declare) are certainly NOT suffering by Elon witholding the Investment! Let them eat Pap as the African saying goes!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to vanzie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    to 350mb down/150 up.
    300mbps (bits not bytes) down, 20mbps up is more realistic in my experience.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bobhof For This Useful Post:

the average SA user is ok and comfortable and not needing the facility. The outlaying areas do. But that is where its needed, outlaying, Bots, Namibia, Zim, Moz for locals for education and then also for travelers. Having comms in bots will make it also easier for people who have to stay in touch.

The problem in Africa is being caught with a product that is banned.
    Angel Group
    Solar-Construction-Offroad
    [email protected]
    Next event: 4x4 Recovery-TBA

I'm right behind Elon, their efforts to enforce the short-sighted and unrealistic BEE on him is a joke. It's not Elon who is depriving the poor in SA of internet, its their own elected government.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2