Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    Aha, post 38 and for the first time someone asks the magic question of HOW properly the OP wants to leave the tar...
    There is much to be said for the Jimny, I did a 4x4 training course in them and loved it. However............

Leaving JHB at 5am, jumping on the N14 and working up to Bray border post taking 8 hours to do this would not be fun in that car. Then another 6 hours to Mabua fully loaded with fuel beer and water, also not fun.

So it has to be horses for courses, if a mate was taking all my stuff to Mabua, then it would be a blast. Likewise weekend camping.

I have only met Emmie once, she kept all her clothes on and seemed pretty well behaved, of course you never know, so I have no idea how wild she wants to get.

I could see her sitting proud in a SWB Pajero
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    I thought raptors are all about showing off?
    Is that not the purpose of buying a new car?

In all honesty I would buy new if I were you. I would rather buy a cheaper model to suit budget, but buy new.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

I just want to go on a twee spoor and be high enough not to scrape my belly on the middle bump.

Or drive on a rained out dirt road and be able to traverse the instant dongas.

Or drive on a dirt road without my number plate coming off.

Or be able to do a bit of game viewing on the loop attached to the camp ground.

As my courage grows I might take on more adventurous adventures so I don't mind leaving room for that.

I just want to be outside where I can hear veld silence. You can't find that without having to drive places where my current willing steed is not equipped to go. I need something that is higher on the leg.

My ultimate would be a van so that I can take my little weekend home, park it and sit outside. So if anyone wants to spend 3 million on one and resell it to me for R200 000 please, I'm ready when you are. But as that is completely out of reach for me and I don't have the capacity to deal with the eccentricities of vehicles that are so old they fit in my budget, I'm left with tent camping and there it will remain. I can still investigate all sorts of corners in our amazing and beautiful country with that.

I like farm roads. I like veld. I want something that can get me to lots of veld for as long as possible at every opportunity I can scrape together.

My time is running out a bit faster than for most, so I can't hang around anymore saving for a future that won't happen.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

I just want to go on a twee spoor and be high enough not to scrape my belly on the middle bump.

As my courage grows I might take on more adventurous adventures so I don't mind leaving room for that.

I just want to be outside where I can hear veld silence. You can't find that without having to drive places where my current willing steed is not equipped to go. I need something that is higher on the leg.

My ultimate would be a van so that I can take my little weekend home, park it and sit outside. So if anyone wants to spend 3 million on one and resell it to me for R200 000 please, I'm ready when you are. But as that is completely out of reach for me and I don't have the capacity to deal with the eccentricities of vehicles that are so old they fit in my budget, I'm left with tent camping and there it will remain. I can still investigate all sorts of corners in our amazing and beautiful country with that.

I like farm roads. I like veld. I want something that can get me to lots of veld for as long as possible at every opportunity I can scrape together.

My time is running out a bit faster than for most, so I can't hang around anymore saving for a future that won't happen.
    Duster

Emmie, reading your last post: I'd really suggest the Jimny.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

So no 4x4 needed if I read this right. Softie with some ground clearance that will mostly get you to the farmhouse and coffee stop without drama?

Single or xtra cab bakkie with proper canopy?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    How much is a new 5 door Jiminy??
    How much are you willing to spend??
    I'm wanting to spend as little as possible, but it seems the new car market is very against that . Sadly, the 4x4 market segment has nothing in the Kwid/ Spresso price range. I think you should sign my petition to have this changed immediately.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

It has been suggested ... Single cab bakkie, inexpensive RTT, will take you anywhere you want to with minimal fuss and set up time.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    It has been suggested ... Single cab bakkie, inexpensive RTT, will take you anywhere you want to with minimal fuss and set up time.
    See doctor, it happened like this...

I don't disagree with you Peter. In my view buying a new car is taking a minimum of a R100 000 and flushing it down the toilet. But sometimes that is not the worst alternative.

Here is why I choose to buy new. It's about emotional hardship for me rather than physical risk taking. Mechanics tend to treat women atrociously. I would need a very long thread to tell you all the horrible things that have been done to me over the years. There is a definite gender bias and the advantage taking is even more blatant for a clueless woman than for a clueless man. Sadly, nobody in my life took the time to equip me with even the most basic of car knowledge and what I have is what I have gleaned by myself. It leaves lots of room on the head of a pin. My previous mechanic told me that my brakes were in order after I asked particularly have brakes checked. By grace I had a bolt through a tire a week later and while putting new tires on the tire place discovered that there was zero left on the brakes. That is life threatening carelessness. And that not even my most recent bad experience. It's extremely unpleasant to dread every service and every car interaction knowing that the positive experiences will be the exception and not the norm. I want to postpone the evil moment when I have to start repeating this horrible cycle again with men that deceive and take advantage. (I'm not aware of any female mechanics, therefore experience with men only). The includes the dealers. But at least while the car is on the service plan they have to try a little bit harder.

I also can't imagine that buying a car will go any better. I won't recognize the lies and the deception, but will have to pay and pay and pay for the consequences. Forgive me if I'm not keen. I just don' have the internal fortitude at the moment to deal with that.

I agree that the first ding on a new car is always the most painful. But a scratch from a branch on an adventure is no different than someone random at a shopping centre keying your car because they are in a bad mood.

I'm not fooled that any car has absolute reliability and I have been blessed enough that every time I have had a breakdown someone was gracious enough to stop and help. But again, I would prefer to put off that event if I can by not adding older parts that are closer to fatigue and therefore prone to breakage.
    My mom bought just one new car in her life too. A VW Polo (the high-boot shape). At the first service (obviously done by the agents) they phoned and told her the brake discs (not the pads, the discs) were below spec and needed replacement. We said don't, we will do it. When it came back, we checked and they were well within spec. At the second service (by the same dealer), they were declared fine. All the occasions I have been told that expensive parts needed to be replaced which later turned out to be unnecessary has been perpetrated by dealers.

Thus my opinion that choosing a good mechanic is both crucial and difficult. But it is no less so for a new car than an older one, because the dealers are worse than good indies (at least the ones I have been exposed to). But it's a good idea to get involved in owners groups for the particular brand you are buying into. This is a seldom-recognized advantage of less common cars: there are almost-fanatical owner's groups and clubs. Guys and ladies who know everything worth knowing who freely share that knowledge and usually mechanics who work on them because they are passionate about them and not just earning a salary.

As for second-hand cars, while I myself drive cars older than most people here would consider (my current one is old enough to vote tomorrow, in fact it was old enough to vote in the previous elections and my first was older than me), that's not what I am talking about here.
    I am talking about cars that have just taken the initial depreciation knock. Let's say something with less than 100k km on the clock. This should be relatively easy if you do end up going for a Jimny. There are many people who buy them and then realize that that particular compromise is wrong for them and sell them pretty soon.

When buying, there are many options to reduce the risk of being scammed and/or buying a lemon. Several guys have already offered to go along as an extra pair of eyes. Or you could buy from somebody like Petri. This is a community, do not be afraid to take as I know you give. And remember that a lemon had a first owner too. By the time you get it second-hand, either the faults have been corrected under warranty or the manufacturer has clearly indicated his unwillingness or inability to fix the issues. But I honestly do believe that lemons are very scarce nowadays.

As for scratches, I feel there is a big difference between being angry with an unknown stranger and being angry with yourself. When you scratch a vehicle you always had the option of either not taking that road, or of cutting the branch. This is only one example though. Perhaps a more relevant example is that you have already indicated that your current car doesn't like corrugations. Well, no car does. Corrugations cause wear and tear if not direct and immediate damage to all cars. Your new car will also take a beating, but now you would still be owing money on it...

You have said you probably won't do trails, but when doing them you will sooner or later scratch, bump or bend something underneath. This gets less painful with time and reduced vehicle cost. And trails get less scary and more fun as you learn.

Please note, I am not judging. Just giving you an unwanted insight into how my mind works.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

I don't disagree with you Peter. In my view buying a new car is taking a minimum of a R100 000 and flushing it down the toilet. But sometimes that is not the worst alternative.

Here is why I choose to buy new. It's about emotional hardship for me rather than physical risk taking. Mechanics tend to treat women atrociously. I would need a very long thread to tell you all the horrible things that have been done to me over the years. There is a definite gender bias and the advantage taking is even more blatant for a clueless woman than for a clueless man. Sadly, nobody in my life took the time to equip me with even the most basic of car knowledge and what I have is what I have gleaned by myself. It leaves lots of room on the head of a pin. My previous mechanic told me that my brakes were in order after I asked particularly have brakes checked. By grace I had a bolt through a tire a week later and while putting new tires on the tire place discovered that there was zero left on the brakes. That is life threatening carelessness. And that not even my most recent bad experience. It's extremely unpleasant to dread every service and every car interaction knowing that the positive experiences will be the exception and not the norm. I want to postpone the evil moment when I have to start repeating this horrible cycle again with men that deceive and take advantage. (I'm not aware of any female mechanics, therefore experience with men only). The includes the dealers. But at least while the car is on the service plan they have to try a little bit harder.

I also can't imagine that buying a car will go any better. I won't recognize the lies and the deception, but will have to pay and pay and pay for the consequences. Forgive me if I'm not keen. I just don' have the internal fortitude at the moment to deal with that.

I agree that the first ding on a new car is always the most painful. But a scratch from a branch on an adventure is no different than someone random at a shopping centre keying your car because they are in a bad mood.

I'm not fooled that any car has absolute reliability and I have been blessed enough that every time I have had a breakdown someone was gracious enough to stop and help. But again, I would prefer to put off that event if I can by not adding older parts that are closer to fatigue and therefore prone to breakage.
    Just a last point to think about, you have access to lots of petrol heads on this forum who can help you identify and inspect a decent second hand vehicle and be willing to assist with organizing services and repairs as needed.
    Jean
    Old Wheeler
    200 Cruiser (Softroadertjie 2.0)
    P38 Range Rover (Softroadertjie 3.0)
    Nissan Patrol 5.6

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeanvn For This Useful Post:

That comes by default, even if not intended with the Raptor.
    But, yah, well, no fine, itís awesome, I think, for whatís itís actual purpose is 😄

I thought raptors are all about showing off?
    Last edited by AK77; 2024/05/28 at 11:58 AM.

Jimny gets my vote ✔️

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AK77 For This Useful Post:

It is currently a buyer's market for new and secondhand cars as the economy bites...so you will not be throwing R100k away on the price of a new vehicle( unless you buy Chinese). The discount you will get makes up for some of the first year depreciation. Second hand car values were high the past year but even WBC and Weelee are now offering discounts as the market shrinks.

go look at www.newcardeals.co.za and you may find some great discounts on some models.

A new Nissan patrol even has 20% discount, Navaras up to 22% etc.

Suzuki Jimny 5%...but these little guys just maintain value due to popularity.

Renault duster 4wd 3.5%.

Isuzu Dmax from 8-15%.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

Jip, Jimny. Get the 5 door.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spectaitor For This Useful Post:

For less than Jimny money, almost new, reliable brand & plenty warranty left - maybe even service plan

Comfort of auto box, great ground clearance, better drive on & off road with loads of space for camping gear
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...amley/9495459/

4x2 with difflock should be more than capable for the OP's use case?
    2022 FX4 Ranger 2L Sit 4x4 Auto
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Farm Lorrie & Heavy loads)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    For less than Jimny money, almost new, reliable brand & plenty warranty left - maybe even service plan

Comfort of auto box, great ground clearance, better drive on & off road with loads of space for camping gear

Why would someone sell a bakkie with only 19 000km on the clock?

Realized they should rather have bought the 3.0

Reading all, ok most of these posts, I would never ask for suggestions on a new vehicle. It's a mine field.

Advice on repairs or upgrades, Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post

That's one of those dodgy code 3 Jhb car dealers.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hennie84 For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast