Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

Quote Originally Posted by WillieJimny View Post
    You know its slow but you dont know if the steering is height adjustable? Have you ever driven one?
    The middle leg often.

Actually driven one - NO

In convoy yes - often - too often - not again - never again.

Not unless they leave before us.

Or I leave before them go ahead and meet them where the manna are having beef and beer and waiting for them t0 arrive
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Jimny may be modest, but it sure have attitude

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Jimny may be modest, but it sure have attitude
    It certainly has that. It still turns heads, and here locally, 9/10 participate with a Defender wave, now renamed Jimny wave.
    Mike Lauterbach

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    That reminds me of one of the cars I was going to test drive when I was shopping for my current car. I intended getting the smaller version. I got in, touched the thin hosepipe steering wheel, closed the door, became overwhelmed by the sensation of being a well proofed rusk overflowing a pan and got straight out again. I never even drove it.
    Take my opinion with a pinch of salt, my last two daily's are/were full sized SUVs/Wagons so getting from them in the Jimny was not comparing apples with apples.

Go take it for a proper test drive, it is one of those vehicles that you either love or hate, you should know in the first 10 minutes.
    Jean
    Old Wheeler
    200 Cruiser (Softroadertjie 2.0)
    P38 Range Rover (Softroadertjie 3.0)
    Nissan Patrol 5.6

I love the Jimny and I would happily have it as a family vehicle...BUT..The underpowered engine kills it for me
    I have a Isuzu fleet with the 58kw motor..It can do 140 at best but cruises lekker at 120
    It is a dangerous vehicle to drive on the open road..If you sitting behind someone at 100 and want to pass it takes time and prep to ensure you can do so safe..It takes forever to get to speed and when there is a severe uphill it drops below 100 and you constantly playing catchup..Its down right tiring..The Jimny is not as bad but similar..
    This is not to scare people away from it, it is so you can understand its one flaw, and most guys dont bother doing a proper open road driving test because its such a cool looking little car...SO if its your choice,go do a proper open road drive with some trucks to pass and hills to climb..If it suits your needs by all means

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Emmie ...

Your biggest decision here is whether or not you want to do trails.

NO trails, get the Duster. It "gravel travels" very well, exceptional fuel economy, pokey 1.5dci motor, you're buying new(ish) so you still have a warranty as back up.

Trails - well it's only Jimny then. But doing long distance (read driving to the sea side) might annoy you. Jimny has auto, duster only manual.

I think the Mahindra is too big for your needs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    duster only manual.
    The Duster is available in 6 speed auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie84 View Post
    The Duster is available in 6 speed auto.
    4x2 only (that engine and gearbox compliment each other like water and oil)
    Last edited by Morne - Skip; 2024/05/28 at 07:07 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I love the Jimny and I would happily have it as a family vehicle...BUT..The underpowered engine kills it for me
    I have a Isuzu fleet with the 58kw motor..It can do 140 at best but cruises lekker at 120
    It is a dangerous vehicle to drive on the open road..If you sitting behind someone at 100 and want to pass it takes time and prep to ensure you can do so safe..It takes forever to get to speed and when there is a severe uphill it drops below 100 and you constantly playing catchup..Its down right tiring..The Jimny is not as bad but similar..
    This is not to scare people away from it, it is so you can understand its one flaw, and most guys dont bother doing a proper open road driving test because its such a cool looking little car...SO if its your choice,go do a proper open road drive with some trucks to pass and hills to climb..If it suits your needs by all means
    The problem with your Isuzu is that you probably don't have a courier company canopy fitted like the image below. It literally transforms the vehicle into the fasted vehicle on the road. Especially in the afternoons when the drivers are finished deliveries amd are heading back to base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images-8.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	723134  
    Mike

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    The problem with your Isuzu is that you probably don't have a courier company canopy fitted like the image below. It literally transforms the vehicle into the fasted vehicle on the road. Especially in the afternoons when the drivers are finished deliveries amd are heading back to base.
    Mmmmm..Maybe i should try the canopy for beter aerodynamics..Those guys always make me look slow despite being the same vehicle

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Relatively modest, but not modest by itself.
    I don't sit on my hands well.
    This was extremely tongue in cheek, and I suspect you know that.

So here are my true opinions, no holds barred and blunt as a wrecking ball. No offence is meant with any of the below:
    1) Without knowing what you want to do with the vehicle the whole exercise is effectively not constructive and just an opportunity to have some fun.
    2) The concept of buying a brand new vehicle as aprivate citizen is in my personal opinion just foolish. I did it once in my life but only because at the time I had a very clear idea of what I wanted, I was in a big rush (the vehicle's predecessor having been T-boned into a ditch and me being Carlos at the time) and I couldn't find it second-hand and for the record I couldn't even get the colour I wanted new in an acceptable time). And it was cheap enough that I could buy it cash. A new vehicle is in my opinion no more reliable than a relatively new example of same, and a warranty ties you to having services done at exorbitant rates by people with less training and experience than many independents.

Furthermore the purpose of a 4x4 is driving off road. Unfortunately no matter how careful you are, driving off road damages a vehicle more than driving on roads. This is mentally tough in a new and pristine vehicle. The older and more dinged-up it is, the more you can enjoy yourself off road.

Lastly the concept of absolute reliability.
    I realize that I see this differently than most people, and that ladies tend to be more conservative about these things than men, but I don't think the occasional breakdown is really that much of a deal.
    I also understand that being sat next to the road in a broken vehicle is "risky", but I have done it a few times in my life and have never had any issues. I have had a couple of suspected hi-jack attempts in fully operational vehicles though. I don't know if anybody has any stats, but I really suspect being sat next to the road in a broken old skedonk with a badge that doesn't consist of oval shapes is safer (from the point of view of being exposed to crime) than driving a brand new vehicle.

The trips one remembers are by and large the ones where things went wrong...
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2024/05/28 at 08:13 AM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

WAT is jou budget?

What do you want to do with the vehicle?

Without that, we cant help much
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

Toyotota Rav4 4 door - rooi gevaar

Raptor. Relative modest budget compared to the G wagon. Tends to bite back sometimes when poked 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post

So here are my true opinions, no holds barred and blunt as a wrecking ball. No offence is meant with any of the below:
    1) Without knowing what you want to do with the vehicle the whole exercise is effectively not constructive and just an opportunity to have some fun.
    2) The concept of buying a brand new vehicle as aprivate citizen is in my personal opinion just foolish. I did it once in my life but only because at the time I had a very clear idea of what I wanted, I was in a big rush (the vehicle's predecessor having been T-boned into a ditch and me being Carlos at the time) and I couldn't find it second-hand and for the record I couldn't even get the colour I wanted new in an acceptable time). And it was cheap enough that I could buy it cash. A new vehicle is in my opinion no more reliable than a relatively new example of same, and a warranty ties you to having services done at exorbitant rates by people with less training and experience than many independents.

Furthermore the purpose of a 4x4 is driving off road. Unfortunately no matter how careful you are, driving off road damages a vehicle more than driving on roads. This is mentally tough in a new and pristine vehicle. The older and more dinged-up it is, the more you can enjoy yourself off road.

I realize that I see this differently than most people, and that ladies tend to be more conservative about these things than men, but I don't think the occasional breakdown is really that much of a deal.
    I also understand that being sat next to the road in a broken vehicle is "risky", but I have done it a few times in my life and have never had any issues. I have had a couple of suspected hi-jack attempts in fully operational vehicles though. I don't know if anybody has any stats, but I really suspect being sat next to the road in a broken old skedonk with a badge that doesn't consist of oval shapes is safer (from the point of view of being exposed to crime) than driving a brand new vehicle.

I disagree with almost every point you make here. If I was in the market, and I could afford it, I would buy new. Firstly, new vehicles almost always come with a service plan to at least 100k km. So up to that point, you don't care what the service costs are.

As for warranties, they are not for new vehicles only. You can buy a warranty for older cars too. So, if you don't like warranties and the T&C's attached to them, then just don't buy one.

The purpose of a 4x4 is to drive off road on occasion, as and when needed. You don't damage your vehicle every time you select 4x4.. If you do, you're doing it wrong.

And in terms of breakdowns, I'm pretty sure the stats will show that new vehicles break down less often than older ones. And if they do, you phone the dealer and demand they sort you out immediately. Otherwise, insurance should send a flatbed. And honestly, whether you're male or female or have a family with you in your car or not, or whether your car is old or new, you really don't want to be stranded on the side of the road in this country whilst you play mechanic under your bonnet.

But each to his own! And this is off topic and not what the OP asked.
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 A/T 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 M/T 4x4

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    I disagree with almost every point you make here. If I was in the market, and I could afford it, I would buy new. Firstly, new vehicles almost always come with a service plan to at least 100k km. So up to that point, you don't care what the service costs are.

As for warranties, they are not for new vehicles only. You can buy a warranty for older cars too. So, if you don't like warranties and the T&C's attached to them, then just don't buy one.

The purpose of a 4x4 is to drive off road on occasion, as and when needed. You don't damage your vehicle every time you select 4x4.. If you do, you're doing it wrong.

And in terms of breakdowns, I'm pretty sure the stats will show that new vehicles break down less often than older ones. And if they do, you phone the dealer and demand they sort you out immediately. Otherwise, insurance should send a flatbed. And honestly, whether you're male or female or have a family with you in your car or not, or whether your car is old or new, you really don't want to be stranded on the side of the road in this country whilst you play mechanic under your bonnet.

But each to his own! And this is off topic and not what the OP asked.
    I think you misunderstood almost every point I made.

And as for being OT:
    "I will not be buying by committee because that is not how one makes healthy life decisions. However, I thought you might have fun guessing which direction I'm might go. As I know you like to speculate and debate this might be a fun opportunity."
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2024/05/28 at 09:05 AM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Is this just going to be your leisure vehicle or your daily driver too ?

Where do you want to go with it ?

Do you want to join the boys on trails ?
    Aha, post 38 and for the first time someone asks the magic question of HOW properly the OP wants to leave the tar...

Alfa Romeo Stelvio - Bellissimo!
    Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8 (sold)
    Alfa Romeo MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde (sold but still near to me)
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeepiscool For This Useful Post:

I think you misunderstood almost every point I made.

And as for being OT:
    "I will not be buying by committee because that is not how one makes healthy life decisions. However, I thought you might have fun guessing which direction I'm might go. As I know you like to speculate and debate this might be a fun opportunity."
    OK then
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 A/T 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 M/T 4x4

I don't disagree with you Peter. In my view buying a new car is taking a minimum of a R100 000 and flushing it down the toilet. But sometimes that is not the worst alternative.

Here is why I choose to buy new. It's about emotional hardship for me rather than physical risk taking. Mechanics tend to treat women atrociously. I would need a very long thread to tell you all the horrible things that have been done to me over the years. There is a definite gender bias and the advantage taking is even more blatant for a clueless woman than for a clueless man. Sadly, nobody in my life took the time to equip me with even the most basic of car knowledge and what I have is what I have gleaned by myself. It leaves lots of room on the head of a pin. My previous mechanic told me that my brakes were in order after I asked particularly have brakes checked. By grace I had a bolt through a tire a week later and while putting new tires on the tire place discovered that there was zero left on the brakes. That is life threatening carelessness. And that not even my most recent bad experience. It's extremely unpleasant to dread every service and every car interaction knowing that the positive experiences will be the exception and not the norm. I want to postpone the evil moment when I have to start repeating this horrible cycle again with men that deceive and take advantage. (I'm not aware of any female mechanics, therefore experience with men only). The includes the dealers. But at least while the car is on the service plan they have to try a little bit harder.

I also can't imagine that buying a car will go any better. I won't recognize the lies and the deception, but will have to pay and pay and pay for the consequences. Forgive me if I'm not keen. I just don' have the internal fortitude at the moment to deal with that.

I agree that the first ding on a new car is always the most painful. But a scratch from a branch on an adventure is no different than someone random at a shopping centre keying your car because they are in a bad mood.

I'm not fooled that any car has absolute reliability and I have been blessed enough that every time I have had a breakdown someone was gracious enough to stop and help. But again, I would prefer to put off that event if I can by not adding older parts that are closer to fatigue and therefore prone to breakage.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AK77 View Post
    Raptor. Relative modest budget compared to the G wagon. Tends to bite back sometimes when poked 😁
    I thought raptors are all about showing off?
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

How much is a new 5 door Jiminy??
    How much are you willing to spend??
    FJC - Just Cruising

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast