Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 223
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,053
    Thanked: 5655

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I have seen you drive, even a detuned 1100cc Jimny will be fine for you.

    I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    I didn't say I want to get there first. I just want to get there.

    Did your dentures fall out on that road? My numberplate was hanging on by thread by the time I made it back to tar that time. I don't think my car likes sinkplaatpad.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:


  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    White River
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,443
    Thanked: 3018

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    It will be my leisure only initially. I suspect my daily will give up the ghost in the next few years as it's 16 years old already but still never had issues with it until now. Then I will use the new as the daily until it's paid off and I can get a new little run around for daily use.

    I want to go to camp sites that are not resort like. They are usually on dirt roads that my current marie biscuit wheels don't enjoy. I don't think my skedonk was intended to ever see a sinkplaatpad in spit of what I put it through. It doesn't even take a speedbump well.

    I don't know if I want to do trails. It will depend on how scary they are to me. Which I would only find out when I try.
    Just get the Jimny then 😃
    Mike


  4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:


  5. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,620
    Thanked: 4304

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    I guess you are going to replace your existing comfortable plat car with a 4x4? If so, and if you are inclined to go the Jimny route, borrow one and take it for long drive on a main road and or highway, for an hour or two, to see if the comfort level is good enough, and what concentration levels are needed, especially in gusty conditions.

    I own a 3 door Gen4 Jimny and love it to bits. But I don't use it for longer trips if I can help it. The seats are not nearly as comfortable for me as in my FL2, it requires a lot more concentration to keep it on the road, and at speed, than the normal plat car, and of course don't expect to maintain 100km/hr up hills, nor good consumption.

    But, it will get you to long distance destinations, and destinations off the beaten track - as a 4x4 it is very capable. For me as a second vehicle and runaround, it is perfect, as it also allows me to venture offroad as well where the FL2 will not be able to go to.
    Mike Lauterbach

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:


  7. #44
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    67
    Posts
    24,614
    Thanked: 21102

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I guess you are going to replace your existing comfortable plat car with a 4x4? If so, and if you are inclined to go the Jimny route, borrow one and take it for long drive on a main road and or highway, for an hour or two, to see if the comfort level is good enough, and what concentration levels are needed, especially in gusty conditions.

    I own a 3 door Gen4 Jimny and love it to bits. But I don't use it for longer trips if I can help it. The seats are not nearly as comfortable for me as in my FL2, it requires a lot more concentration to keep it on the road, and at speed, than the normal plat car, and of course don't expect to maintain 100km/hr up hills, nor good consumption.

    But, it will get you to long distance destinations, and destinations off the beaten track - as a 4x4 it is very capable. For me as a second vehicle and runaround, it is perfect, as it also allows me to venture offroad as well where the FL2 will not be able to go to.
    Eeish, If I was as honest as you I would probably be having supper with BABA.

    Or on Emmies Ignore list and removed from WhatApp.

    That is really awesome advise.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2024/05/27 at 04:33 PM.
    Cheers

    NAGOF

    HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

    Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:


  9. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mosselbaai
    Age
    38
    Posts
    7,250
    Thanked: 2370

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    I'm going to go against the narrative here

    The Jimny is terrible, there is no space for your right shoulder or left knee, it has no power and it doesn't feel stable at highway speeds.

    It is surprisingly good off road though and will make a nice toy, but it is not a daily driver.
    Jean
    Old Wheeler
    200 Cruiser (Softroadertjie 2.0)
    P38 Range Rover (Softroadertjie 3.0)
    Nissan Patrol 5.6

  10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jeanvn For This Useful Post:


  11. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    White River
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,443
    Thanked: 3018

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    I'm going to go against the narrative here

    The Jimny is terrible, there is no space for your right shoulder or left knee, it has no power and it doesn't feel stable at highway speeds.

    It is surprisingly good off road though and will make a nice toy, but it is not a daily driver.
    I'm sure Emmie isn't as tall as you 😊 😆

    And it won't be her daily yet
    Mike


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:


  13. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mosselbaai
    Age
    38
    Posts
    7,250
    Thanked: 2370

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    I'm sure Emmie isn't as tall as you 😊 😆

    And it won't be her daily yet
    She is probably a lot lighter as well which might help with the power issues
    Jean
    Old Wheeler
    200 Cruiser (Softroadertjie 2.0)
    P38 Range Rover (Softroadertjie 3.0)
    Nissan Patrol 5.6

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanvn For This Useful Post:


  15. #48
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    67
    Posts
    24,614
    Thanked: 21102

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    She is probably a lot lighter as well which might help with the power issues
    Any car where the vehicle performance is a measurable function of the driver's weight is either a F1 or donkey cart or a parachute.
    Cheers

    NAGOF

    HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

    Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:


  17. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,620
    Thanked: 4304

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    I'm going to go against the narrative here

    The Jimny is terrible, there is no space for your right shoulder or left knee, it has no power and it doesn't feel stable at highway speeds.

    It is surprisingly good off road though and will make a nice toy, but it is not a daily driver.
    I'm 6'1", or used to be, and have no problem space wise in the driver's seat, which can be set back far enough. It's actually quite roomy. The two back seats are folded flat permanently, creating plenty of perfectly level packing space. Getting in and out is easier than most platcars, without have to contort myself without knocking my head getting in. Or out.

    3 or 4 weekends ago I picked up 2 from the airport and took them through to Paarl, with their and my weekend luggage. The back seat behind me was left down for packing space. It actually went quite well - I don't recall dropping once below 90km/hr on the N1 Durbanville Hills. I have to add that I have the unrefined auto, which is terrible on the open road. Here a manual is much better. In town the auto is perfect.
    Last edited by mikeml; 2024/05/27 at 05:32 PM.
    Mike Lauterbach

  18. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Oppi plaas
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,193
    Thanked: 2483

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    She is probably a lot lighter as well which might help with the power issues
    And better fuel consumption.😀

    If I have to drive a Jimney, it will twice as slow and fuel consumption will double.😀

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:


  20. #51
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    67
    Posts
    24,614
    Thanked: 21102

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I'm 6'1", or used to be, and have no problem space wise in the driver's seat, which can be set back far enough. It's actually quite roomy. The two back seats are folded flat permanently, creating plenty of perfectly level packing space. Getting in and out is easier than most platcars, without have to contort myself without knocking my head getting in. Or out.

    3 or 4 weekends ago I picked up 2 from the airport and took them through to Paarl, with their and my weekend luggage. The back seat behind me was left down for packing space. It actually went quite well - I don't recall dropping once below 90km/hr on the N1 Durbanville Hills. I have to add that I have the unrefined auto, which is terrible on the open road. Here a manual is much better. In town the auto is perfect.
    Lucky you picked them at Cape Town airport and drove them to Paar. Lucky it wasn't Durban airport.

    You would only be making this post next week.
    Cheers

    NAGOF

    HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

    Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  21. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mosselbaai
    Age
    38
    Posts
    7,250
    Thanked: 2370

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Any car where the vehicle performance is a measurable function of the driver's weight is either a F1 or donkey cart or a parachute.
    It probably has around 2 donkey power
    Jean
    Old Wheeler
    200 Cruiser (Softroadertjie 2.0)
    P38 Range Rover (Softroadertjie 3.0)
    Nissan Patrol 5.6

  22. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mosselbaai
    Age
    38
    Posts
    7,250
    Thanked: 2370

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I'm 6'1", or used to be, and have no problem space wise in the driver's seat, which can be set back far enough. It's actually quite roomy. The two back seats are folded flat permanently, creating plenty of perfectly level packing space. Getting in and out is easier than most platcars, without have to contort myself without knocking my head getting in. Or out.

    3 or 4 weekends ago I picked up 2 from the airport and took them through to Paarl, with their and my weekend luggage. The back seat behind me was left down for packing space. It actually went quite well - I don't recall dropping once below 90km/hr on the N1 Durbanville Hills. I have to add that I have the unrefined auto, which is terrible on the open road. Here a manual is much better. In town the auto is perfect.
    It’s not a height problem for me, it is shoulders and left leg that doesn’t really fit in comfortably.

    It reminds me of my old 90 in that sense.
    Jean
    Old Wheeler
    200 Cruiser (Softroadertjie 2.0)
    P38 Range Rover (Softroadertjie 3.0)
    Nissan Patrol 5.6

  23. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    White River
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,443
    Thanked: 3018

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    It probably has around 2 donkey power
    I definitely have proof somewhere that I could drive at the speed limit on our national roads, haha, but I made mine as wide as possible and a suspension upgrade to help it along.

    A jimny is like a 70 series. You have to spend money on extras to make it liveable 😄 🤣
    Mike


  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:


  25. #55
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    67
    Posts
    24,614
    Thanked: 21102

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    It’s not a height problem for me, it is shoulders and left leg that doesn’t really fit in comfortably.

    It reminds me of my old 90 in that sense.
    For me it's the middle leg on Chemo. Does the Jimny have height adjustable steering wheel.
    Cheers

    NAGOF

    HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

    Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:


  27. #56
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    67
    Posts
    24,614
    Thanked: 21102

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    I definitely have proof somewhere that I could drive at the speed limit on our national roads, haha, but I made mine as wide as possible and a suspension upgrade to help it along.

    A jimny is like a 70 series. You have to spend money on extras to make it liveable 😄 🤣
    Interesting, what extras would that be.
    Cheers

    NAGOF

    HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

    Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  28. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,053
    Thanked: 5655

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    I'm going to go against the narrative here

    The Jimny is terrible, there is no space for your right shoulder or left knee, it has no power and it doesn't feel stable at highway speeds.

    It is surprisingly good off road though and will make a nice toy, but it is not a daily driver.
    That reminds me of one of the cars I was going to test drive when I was shopping for my current car. I intended getting the smaller version. I got in, touched the thin hosepipe steering wheel, closed the door, became overwhelmed by the sensation of being a well proofed rusk overflowing a pan and got straight out again. I never even drove it.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:


  30. #58
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    67
    Posts
    24,614
    Thanked: 21102

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    That reminds me of one of the cars I was going to test drive when I was shopping for my current car. I intended getting the smaller version. I got in, touched the thin hosepipe steering wheel, closed the door, became overwhelmed by the sensation of being a well proofed rusk overflowing a pan and got straight out again. I never even drove it.

    Less Yeast next time Emmie.
    Cheers

    NAGOF

    HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

    Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  31. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,724
    Thanked: 12433

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    For me it's the middle leg on Chemo. Does the Jimny have height adjustable steering wheel.
    You know its slow but you dont know if the steering is height adjustable? Have you ever driven one?
    2024 Mahindra S10 Pik Up 4x4 d/c
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

  32. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,724
    Thanked: 12433

    Default Re: First time 4x4 purchase - the time has come at last... probably

    I took a 5dr Jimny home tonight. It has Tough dog suspension fitted and General Grabbers in 215/75R15.
    Its not fast at all but I took it up to 120km/h and could maintain that speed. On uphill you would have to go back to 4th maybe even 3rd.
    But I came to the conclusion once more. Compare it to a 3.0 turbo diesel or turbo petrol vehicle or whatever then its a lazy dog. Compare it to other 1.4/1.5/1.6 vehicles and ad the fun factor of the Jimny its actually not bad at all. And it looks so cool.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	723121
    2024 Mahindra S10 Pik Up 4x4 d/c
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

  33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WillieJimny For This Useful Post:


Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •