Default Advise for a first timer.

Hi, I live on Vancouver island in British Columbia. A friend and I are scheduled to rent a 4x4 Hilux camper from Bushlore in late November. We are traveling for 45 days to Botswana and Namibia. We are in no hurry and have no set schedule. We are just 2 old boys, 75, Exploring. If we like a camp ground we stay as long as we like. At this time we are looking to cross border into Gaborone stock up and head to Khama Reno sanctuary for 2 night to get to know the camper. Then up to Xai pan for 2 nights. Then Maun to Khwai and savuti and on to Kasane. We both are outdoor people and have traveled and camped from Alaska to Patagonia Terra de Fuego. Lots of experience in off road 4x4 from sand , snow and ice, Mud. We have learned patience. It is bette to stop, look and think than try to get out of bad situations. Can some one please tell me If at the End of November and early December if I should look for especially bad stretches of road from Maun to Khama to Suvuti and Kasane? I have watched loads of you tube videos and have some Idea of what to expect. I do know if it starts raining hard to get out. I am aware that unfortunately the area has experienced drought in recent years. Thank you in advance
    Regards

Default Re: Advise for a first timer.

I am a professional 4x4 Adventure Tourist Guide and have often taken people out to Botswana at that time of year.

It is the very start of their rainy season, the rain is often late and if it does rain, it will more than likely be a quick thunder shower. The condition of roads can be very unpredictable, I would rather not speculate, but badly potholed roads may be possible. Dirt roads are likely to be very corrugated and a real pain to travel on... Deflate your tires to 1.6 Bar (22 PSI) on dirt roads and do not exceed 60kph on such bad dirt roads. You kitted camper is likely to have a tire pump. Reinflate to about 2.5 Bar (35 PSI) on tarred (sealed) roads.

I think do not think you will have problems and I wish you a wonderful and enjoyable safari.

Fill your fuel tank as often as possible (fuel supplies are often unreliable). You don't want to get to a place, low of fuel, only to discover that they have none and the fuel truck is only expected in a week's time.

Also have enough water and food at all times, if you break down or get two flat tyres, you may have to wait 2 or even 3 days for help, in certain places in Africa.

Do not travel after dark. Wild animals and stray domestic animals (mainly cattle and donkeys) become deadly obstacles on the road after the dark.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2024/05/27 at 01:15 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013, West Coast from April 2024.
    1. 2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2. 1998 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX - stock (Will use it for Safari business)
    3. Wife - 2021 Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4x4
    Sold: 2010 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) -
    Sold: 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Patrol GQ 4.2i Auto
    Sold: 1988 Nissan Patrol 2.8 with 5 speed conversion
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Default Re: Advise for a first timer.

Great advise and thank you.
    Regards