Default Nossob to Mbua - single vehicle and a XT140 trailer

I have read many of the other threads on this and could not find a definitive response regarding going solo - i.e. a single vehicle with a trailer with TTT.

Seems the road is better east to west. So maybe Mbua first then Nossob.

Thanks for the assistance.

Default Re: Nossob to Mbua - single vehicle and a XT140 trailer

Hi there ,

The definitive answer is ..." It depends " 😄...and I am not trying to be funny but it will depend on:

What type of vehicle is going solo ?
    What is your experience towing in thick sand ?
    Do you have the right recovery equipment ?
    Are you travelling with small children ?
    .....and the list grows from there...

Travelling direction is not really an issue....it is mostly single track anyway .

Everybody has a different experience on this road...some find it a joy, some find it hard work and a long day.....I personally found it to be a vehicle breaker and will not attempt that road again...it is 260km and 10hours of the worst corrugation you will ever find....but again...that is just me...good luck
    and safe travels

F
    IF I HAVE TO WORK, I AM NOT DOING MY JOB

2023 Defender 110 D300
    Land Cruiser ( Inkunzi camper )

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FransBR For This Useful Post:

Just did that road - a few “steepish” soft sand dune climbs - but nothing terrible. You’ll need momentum for a few of them - just be careful as it’s two way road… especially early afternoon as you’re more likely to meet oncoming traffic returning from there. Be mindful of fuel - no fuel over there and you’ll burn a lot getting out there. Beautiful area.

i assume you are towing with your Paj- great vehicle in sand. Air down

I own a conqueror companion - I would not choose to tow that on that road. We use RTT for Mabua. But the XT140 is quite a lot lighter, I think?

We came back on the other one way road - needs a permit - loved it. Bring a seed net.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2024/05/26 at 06:29 PM.

Yes! No problem with a 4x4.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vnielsen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Just did that road - a few “steepish” soft sand dune climbs - but nothing terrible. You’ll need momentum for a few of them - just be careful as it’s two way road… especially early afternoon as you’re more likely to meet oncoming traffic returning from there. Be mindful of fuel - no fuel over there and you’ll burn a lot getting out there. Beautiful area.

i assume you are towing with your Paj- great vehicle in sand. Air down

I own a conqueror companion - I would not choose to tow that on that road. We use RTT for Mabua. But the XT140 is quite a lot lighter, I think?

We came back on the other one way road - needs a permit - loved it. Bring a seed net.
    Many thanks for the response. Yes, towing with the Pajero. Tyres down and Stability Control off. Trailer weight. 600kg empty. XT140 s lighter than the Companion (1350kg empty). With extra fuel, water, beer etc we will still be heavy and I am a single vehicle. Hence, the question.

Perhaps another way to do it is to do Mbua only. Coming from JHB, entering from the east, 6 nights in Mbua as opposed to spending time on the SA side of the park and then crossing over to Mbua.

Quote Originally Posted by CSAMPSON View Post
    Many thanks for the response. Yes, towing with the Pajero. Tyres down and Stability Control off. Trailer weight. 600kg empty. XT140 s lighter than the Companion (1350kg empty). With extra fuel, water, beer etc we will still be heavy and I am a single vehicle. Hence, the question.

Perhaps another way to do it is to do Mbua only. Coming from JHB, entering from the east, 6 nights in Mbua as opposed to spending time on the SA side of the park and then crossing over to Mbua.

I think you will be fine. The hill climbs are short and most of them if you do have to back down and have another go, are straight. There were one or two with curves, but I do think I could have pulled the Companion thru all of it (I tow with a D4 but with 18” rims which allows me more margin to air down than the standard 19s. We were very impressed with Mata Mata camp. One of the best run SanParks rest camps I have ever stayed at. Really top notch.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

How much time do you have to spend in the Kgalagadi TP? If your time is limited, I think this comment of yours is applicable - Make Mabua side a separate trip and get the feel of the place, then do RSA side of the park at a later stage. Drive in via Mabua gate and enjoy your time in the Mabua section of the park. While you're there, you can drive a bit of the Boso to Nossob route and see what that track is all about for possible future excursions.
    To me the Boso/Nossob track is the same east to west or visa versa. As mentioned, the dunes are short and straight, nothing too difficult BUT, it's basically a full day's driving one way and it is a bit stressful when you are solo. Lovely territory to drive but there's the constant thought of what will happen if the vehicle fails halfway, so it does work on your nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    [/COLOR]How much time do you have to spend in the Kgalagadi TP? If your time is limited, I think this comment of yours is applicable - Make Mabua side a separate trip and get the feel of the place, then do RSA side of the park at a later stage. Drive in via Mabua gate and enjoy your time in the Mabua section of the park. While you're there, you can drive a bit of the Boso to Nossob route and see what that track is all about for possible future excursions.
    To me the Boso/Nossob track is the same east to west or visa versa. As mentioned, the dunes are short and straight, nothing too difficult BUT, it's basically a full day's driving one way and it is a bit stressful when you are solo. Lovely territory to drive but there's the constant thought of what will happen if the vehicle fails halfway, so it does work on your nerves.
    Thanks for responding. I was originally thinking 1 night Twee Revieren, 3 nights at Polentswa and then 4 in Mbua. The alternative would be a week in Mbua. It would appear that this is easier and shorter distance wise from JHB. But I am keen on Polentswa. Did Rooiputs two years ago and that was great.

Don't worry too much about it. After you leave nossob and cross over the river, stop and deflate to 1.2 bar. Even heavily loaded. I've done this towing a few times in my Paj. It's easy going with tyres deflated. Use low range for the climbs in the 1st 30km. And importantly, over and above switching asc off, use your tip-tronic and select gears manually.

I normally deflate to 1.2 as soon as I get to the sand road from tsabong or when I enter at twee rivieren and I've never really had any challenges in the sand.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Thanks for responding. I was originally thinking 1 night Twee Revieren, 3 nights at Polentswa and then 4 in Mbua. The alternative would be a week in Mbua. It would appear that this is easier and shorter distance wise from JHB. But I am keen on Polentswa. Did Rooiputs two years ago and that was great.
    I have been in Nossob too many times seeing vehicles recovered from that rd. I love going to the Kgalagadi but won't tackle that rd solo. In Jan we went for a restock in Tsabong and then three nights in Mabua, came back out again, restocked again and took the Molopo highway down to Rooiputs. It was easy going and basically stress free, which is how I like my holidays. I also drive a Paj and they are very capable, my trailer is lightweight and I have no doubt I could manage that rd, but I choose not to solo. My age is against me and Swambo and if I can avoid a struggle then I will. It is no fun fixing a flat never mind anything more serious in that heat and sand.

The pro's and cons are easy for me, run the risk or avoid it and get to the camps I really like. Mata Mata, great camp. The new camp sites at Nossob are brilliant and worth every penny. Polentswa and Rooiputs tick all my boxes. TR, not the best camp spot but has all the amenities.

I have also done Mabua for a week many times and can get there in one day with a 4 am start. I pre order all my meat, fruit and veg and just pick it up when I get there. If you just go to Mabua,then take plenty of water and fuel and then you are not restricted on game drives and exploring. We often spoil ourselves with the last night at Cornwall lodge on the way out, great way to end the holiday.

What ever you decide, travel safe and have a great time. Just out of interest, we use the Bray border post via Vryburg and Tosca.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

As per the original response from FransBR, it really does depend.
    It depends on one's experience, vehicle setup, time of day, time of year, etc.

I have done the trail towing our Metalian Maxi with our double cab Hilux 2.8 GD-6.
    The trail really was not difficult but I do have experience with sand driving and off roading.
    We also travel solo but are comfortable with trails like this as we have the necessary equipment and the know how, should we need it.

If you decide to do the trail, my advice would be the following:

- Ensure your vehicle and trailer are in good working order (this should be standard for any trip you take).
    - Take the necessary recovery equipment but more importantly, know how to use it correctly and safely.
    - Deflate your tyres!
    - Take your time and don't try rush the trail. You will find you enjoy it more and the going is easier on you and your gear.

I really think that many people try drive the trail too fast and this is where the chance of damaging vehicles increases.
    Yes there are some sand moguls that form and one can easily bounce a vehicle and trailer badly on them, but if you are going at a reasonable speed you will see them prior and can then negotiate them without a fuss. The corrugations should be no worse than the general Kgalagadi roads.
    Last edited by NTRyan; 2024/05/27 at 12:30 PM.
    Hilux 2.8 D/C 4X4 AT
    Metalian Maxi

Nick Ryan

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NTRyan For This Useful Post:

What about putting a Boom, Electric fence and timing chip at Matopi 1 and 2
    You get your chip and can only go "half way" Timing chip is ready next morning at 6am and away you go

Stops rushing and track damage trying to do that stretch in a day.
    Years ago it was easier and now the road is no longer good and its a long hammering day.
    Nossop to Mabua is (for me) WAY easier than climbing the hill towards Nossop 19km away.

I will have another look in September
    Did i place a
    Defender Td5

Did it from Mabua to Nossob with my Prado towing a Commander. Doable in 1 day.
    2010 Prado 4.0 VX
    1984 Suzuki SJ410
    Conqueror Commander