Stab in the dark.
    DPF regeneration?
    SA Hilux's and FT's don't have DPF's.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hennie84 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 2.8 GD6 Smoking On Startup.

Quote Originally Posted by BTTB View Post
    Stab in the dark.
    DPF regeneration?
    Thank you, I removed my entire exhaust and fitted a De Graaf 76mm, doubt it will be the DPF since there isn't one.
    2019 2.8 GD6 Toyota Hilux Raider 4x4 ExtraCab

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hood3dvillain For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie84 View Post
    SA Hilux's and FT's don't have DPF's.
    Good to know, thanks for the reply.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BTTB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andre N View Post
    Unburnt fuel. Could be due to the cooler weather, where ECU is dumping a bit more fuel down its gullet to get things warmed up quicker.

Chances are your Car has been doing it since day 1, you are just now noticing it due to the free flow exhaust.

As long as it disappears when things are up to temp, I wont worry about it.

I tend to agree with this

If the injectors where faulty / worn; The light greyish smoke would be continuously present, even when the vehicle is at operating temperature when cruising & accelerating

Remember, diesel tend to "gel" up a bit in colder weather as well

At 75K your injectors should still be well within specifications
    Last edited by 280iNyati; 2024/05/30 at 09:24 AM.
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....
    Toyota Tuna 2.7 4x4 .... grudge necessity "not my choice"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 280iNyati For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hood3dvillain View Post
    Thank you for commenting...

I understand the principle in that, but it never used to do that, after driving a bit everything is fine, starting the bakkie 3 hours later, no smoke, but if I start the bakkie lets say at four in the afternoon, after standing a while, it smokes again, if I put my foot on the pedal and rev a bit, it makes a cloud of smoke at the back of the bakkie.

Maybe I am just a bit over sensitive about it, but I know my bakkie, it didn't do this lets say 2 months ago, to test whether it is the map or not, I will be removing the map over the weekend and see what happens. If problem goes away, then sure the map is causing it, but if it continues, there must be an underlying issue.

I will keep the thread updated after changes are made...
    Also have a look at your MAF and MAP sensors, they might just need a clean
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....
    Toyota Tuna 2.7 4x4 .... grudge necessity "not my choice"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 280iNyati For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 280iNyati View Post
    I tend to agree with this

If the injectors where faulty / worn; The light greyish smoke would be continuously present, even when the vehicle is at operating temperature when cruising & accelerating

Remember, diesel tend to "gel" up a bit in colder weather as well

At 75K your injectors should still be well within specifications
    Hi, thats true, the smoking comes out as a puff then stops, as I am driving down the road and de-accelerate I can see small puffs blowing out, that continues for a short while then completely goes away. I took a video of it yesterday morning, currently it is raining which makes it a bit difficult to check in the morning. I have arranged for the bakkie to sleep at the Toyota garage for tonight so they can have a look at it tomorrow morning. If they feel its nothing to worry about I will keep driving it as is and hope nothing goes wrong in the future. Maybe I am just being paranoid, maybe its because of the exhaust that I am now fixated on it.

Our morning temps have been around 10 to 12 degrees till this morning, it hasn't really been that cold, and then the thing comes into play, after leaving my bakkie in the sun for the rest of the day and start let's say at 16:00, it will start with another puff of smoke continue while I drive a little bit then completely goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by 280iNyati View Post
    Also have a look at your MAF and MAP sensors, they might just need a clean
    I will ask the Garage to have a look, maybe my filters as well while they are at it. But ja, I am not really wanting to go and have the injectors taken out and tested and then all seems to be okay, if not then we at least know there is the problem.

A faulty glow plug will show a fault code.

My guess, itís an injector thatís not 100%.

I had a problem, exactly the same as you describe, but on an excavator. Smoke on cold start, but otherwise running perfectly, in the end, faulty injector.

A few drops of diesel leaking from a faulty injector overnight and resting on the piston, will produce visible smoke on start up.
    Last edited by Bosvark Kzn; 2024/05/30 at 08:56 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark Kzn View Post
    A faulty glow plug will show a fault code.

My guess, itís an injector thatís not 100%.

I had a problem, exactly the same as you describe, but on an excavator. Smoke on cold start, but otherwise running perfectly, in the end, faulty injector.

A few drops of diesel leaking from a faulty injector overnight and resting on the piston, will produce visible smoke on start up.
    Thank you Bosvark, I'm starting to suspect it as well, I am waiting for feedback from the Garage this morning, I guess I will have to fork out a few $$$ to get the injectors replaced.

Either way, I will keep this thread updated on findings...!! Appreciate everyone's input..!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hood3dvillain For This Useful Post:

So.... as usual when you go see someone for a problem, problem disappears, bakkie slept in Toyota Garage last night, started it up this morning, no smoke...

They did how ever revved it up a bit and it produced a puff of unburnt diesel. Went to fetch bakkie, drove it out of the yard and the smoking puff trail continued until bakkie reached a little bit of higher temperature then all disappeared.

I am going to bite the bullet, get injectors replaced and hopefully this will solve the issue.

I will return when work has been done to give another update, hopefully a good one..!!

Have a great weekend everyone..!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hood3dvillain For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hood3dvillain View Post
    So.... as usual when you go see someone for a problem, problem disappears, bakkie slept in Toyota Garage last night, started it up this morning, no smoke...

They did how ever revved it up a bit and it produced a puff of unburnt diesel. Went to fetch bakkie, drove it out of the yard and the smoking puff trail continued until bakkie reached a little bit of higher temperature then all disappeared.

I am going to bite the bullet, get injectors replaced and hopefully this will solve the issue.

I will return when work has been done to give another update, hopefully a good one..!!

Have a great weekend everyone..!!
    Itís most likely only one injector playing up. Pull all and get it tested, before replacing. And make sure you witness the testing of the injectors. If you donít, chances are good they will tell you theyíre all buggered. Iíve learned that lesson.
    Last edited by Bosvark Kzn; 2024/06/01 at 12:39 PM.

Glow plugs and its control unit are subject to wear and thermal damage (overheating). They degrade slowly over time before they throw any codes. The combustion chamber needs to reach 232 C for ignition. Glow plugs also assist with maintaining chamber temp during operation as well (fuel economy may suffer).

Testing glow plug resistance can be done in situ without having to remove the little heaters. Replace any that measure above two ohms. Do not apply 12V directly. Many are only rated for 7V (mine are rated at 4.4V).

Faulty injectors are usually associated with continuous white smoke along with clogged fuel filter, low pressure in the fuel pump (air in the fuel), faulty or damaged injectors, incorrect injection timing (worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).and low cylinder compression culprits.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow, GC = 254mm, WD = 820mm

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Butch Dassie For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2