Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Default Re: Lending out of Equipment - Would you?

Quote Originally Posted by delwynv View Post
    hey guys

how do you feel about lending / loaning out camping equipment to friends or people you know well or not so well?

a person i know has asked me this - how much would i let out my camping equipment for a day?

(background - its some one who doesn't camp much)

Short answer - to answer the topic of thread: not really no.

Camping gear is sometimes expensive to get, or replace, or fix, after having searching long and hard for specific ones that fits my specific unique needs.

But, one also has to consider the fact that there are not many places that offers camping gear rentals, plus different people has different needs (ie, body size, etc). Plus, many of these people are doing camping once off, or a few times, then not anymore. So, imagine their dilemma.

As for the derailed thread of "other equipment" - same answer applies: no, I do not.

But I then try to find out why they want to loan my equipment: if and when I find out more about their needs, I offer to help them myself, using the gear myself, or direct them to a equipment rental place.

6 pages..

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    6 pages..
    Considering that this community has 89 000 registered members, each with his/her own opinion, and at the time of writing 1123 members on line, that seems like nobody's really interested.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    6 pages..
    It takes many pages to tell all the horror stories of lending things. So many people have them to tell.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

Nope. Never a borrower nor a lender be. Its a relationship breaking exercise. Hire it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rob wilson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    Bad idea but it depends who is asking.
    Agree 1000%, how to lose a friend in one easy lesson

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MarianneN For This Useful Post:

Done it often, to friends and family. No issue. It is earthly things. People in my circle are good people that own up and fix/replace.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

I don't mind borrowing to close friends who I personally know will look after my stuff. They're mature enough to understand two principles - bring it back exactly like they know I'd want it and if you damage it, you bought it. It's kind of unwritten rules amongst decent folk.

ps... this excludes wives
    Last edited by George; 2024/06/03 at 09:35 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

It's a bit like lending out your wife..... (or husband)

We were originally going to make PUMBA (LC 79 Custom Camper) available for rent via kampi.co.za, but once my wife saw it and started to personalise it, that idea was abandoned... The truth is, there are numerous rental companies out there that rent really good gear and are totally set up to deal with their rental gear being returned damaged.

The problem with letting someone use your vehicle is you always run the risk of something being broken or failing or bits being lost and then how do you deal with that without damaging the friendship?

More often than not, friends and family want to "borrow" gear as a way to save money and this is a clear example of them not being able to afford their own 4x4 and the upkeep and maintenance. Just had my sister ask to borrow ours to go to Hermanus (from CT) for the week-end and use it to sleep, parked in a friends garden. Apart from the fact that she's never driven a big vehicle (and PUMBA is big, with an extra 300mm added to the chassis and lifted), she drove into the back of someone late last year (not paying attention/looking around). As a cost cutting exercise, I reminded her that her fuel bill to Hermanus and back driving PUMBA would be way more than booking into a very nice AirBnB or small hotel....

So, in a nutshell, no, don't lend your vehicle out unless you're 100% okay with it being wrecked and having to pay either the insurance excess or the complete replacement cost (if the insurance company repudiates the claim).
    2007 LC79 Meano Conversions Custom Camper

What I have often done when a friend asks to borrow a tool, I offer to go and do the job for them, or they can come to my workshop, where I do it.

And when it comes to camping equipment - I would in any case have to open/unpack and clean and prepare it to ensure that is is ready for my own next trip.

Problem, more often when someone wants to borrow something, they do not know how to use/opperate it - and there the problem starts.
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2024/06/03 at 04:58 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I don't mind borrowing to close friends who I personally know will look after my stuff. They're mature enough to understand two principles - bring it back exactly like they know I'd want it and if you damage it, you bought it. It's kind of unwritten rules amongst decent folk.

ps... this excludes wives
    For me, the world has become one where people do not respect other peoples possessions, which in my opinion means they do not respect you.

Most of my camping equipment was originally owned by or used with my late father, and since purchasing it from his estate, I have an emotional attachment to it. I am not rich, but do survive OK. However, I can not afford to just go and replace my camping kit if it is borrowed and lost/destroyed/not returned. Therefore it does not get lent out to anyone without those being very special people to me. My trailer, besides purchase price, also costs me monthly insurance, and annual licensing. I need to find a place to store it, etc.

Does that mean that I am a bad person, or attach too much value to inanimate objects? Well if that is your opinion, it is just that, an opinion, and it is yours. I have lent out enough stuff that has either not been returned, or returned broken to make me a sceptic.

The Dutch say that "Trust leaves on a Horse, but returns on Foot." Same counts for Respect.

If you earn my trust, you will mostly be able to borrow stuff from me. Break that trust, and you can buy your own stuff. Disrespect me or my family or stuff and you can just go find some other friend.

Judge me for my opinion if you want, but it is not really your place to judge me, so I will not really take it to heart.

I just wish the world was still one where every person is true to their word and where honour still existed.

My 2c.
    It is better to have taken chances and pushed boundaries and risked danger and actually lived than to have restricted yourself to a life in a box determined by other peoples ideas of what is normal, and die of boredom.

Vehicle: 2019 Ford Ranger 2.0 XLT D/C 10AT 4x4

Previous: 2011 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL D/C 6MT; 1996 Land Rover Defender 110 Tdi Hardtop; Nissan 1800 Hardbody; 1990 VW Jetta CLX; 1970 Ford Capri

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GrantI For This Useful Post:

If I am wanting a new version or upgrade on anything I'll lend it out as much as possible until broken/damaged....if I'm lucky the borrower will then offer to contribute to purchasing the replacement
    Last edited by PJ SA; 2024/06/04 at 12:27 PM.

2020 Isuzu D-Max 250 X-Rider D/C 4x4
    Ex: 2017 Jimny & F800gs Adventure

A man who lacks purpose distracts himself with pleasure.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJ SA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ferty View Post
    For me it is friend dependent. I have friends that I know for sure will look after my stuff like I would and I will gladly lend it out to them. They would also replace/repair anything broken on their watch. But, I also have friends that I wouldn't lend out a R400 makro tent to...
    Im the same.....
    HOWEVER, I do have a horror story, not camping related but related to the topic of lending out.

I have a car trailer, double axle, nice and long and nice and wide ............ it can carry a Chevy Impala and a stretched Cadillac with ease......
    So Im part of quite a few classic car groups and some 4x4 groups, one of them being in my local town.
    Short story long...... one of the members of the Toyota group asks if he can borrow my trailer to fetch his other vehicle in another town about 180kms away.......
    Dont really know the guy, but I agree.......... with the proviso of "you break.....you fix"
    Anyway, an hour later I get the call.... on his way home, a guy in a BMW misjudged and collected the trailer ripping axles off etc etc etc.
    Guy promised to repair
    6 months later, trailer is dropped off at my place in pieces....... AXLES still bent, a set of rims and tyres..... all mismatched...... broken springs and replacement springs (all mismatched) ....... some welding on pieces of the frame that tore out!!! but more like 'bird poop' than anything else.....

So I rebuilt my trailer, at great cost, I had to have the axles trued ........ bought new springs, new tyres, did wheel bearings etc...... repaired the frame properly and had it galvanized......

Do I lend it out......... yes BUT ONLY to people that I KNOW will fix if anything goes wrong

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MBpontonwagonboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MBpontonwagonboy View Post
    Im the same.....
    HOWEVER, I do have a horror story, not camping related but related to the topic of lending out.

I have a car trailer, double axle, nice and long and nice and wide ............ it can carry a Chevy Impala and a stretched Cadillac with ease......
    So Im part of quite a few classic car groups and some 4x4 groups, one of them being in my local town.
    Short story long...... one of the members of the Toyota group asks if he can borrow my trailer to fetch his other vehicle in another town about 180kms away.......
    Dont really know the guy, but I agree.......... with the proviso of "you break.....you fix"
    Anyway, an hour later I get the call.... on his way home, a guy in a BMW misjudged and collected the trailer ripping axles off etc etc etc.
    Guy promised to repair
    6 months later, trailer is dropped off at my place in pieces....... AXLES still bent, a set of rims and tyres..... all mismatched...... broken springs and replacement springs (all mismatched) ....... some welding on pieces of the frame that tore out!!! but more like 'bird poop' than anything else.....

So I rebuilt my trailer, at great cost, I had to have the axles trued ........ bought new springs, new tyres, did wheel bearings etc...... repaired the frame properly and had it galvanized......

Do I lend it out......... yes BUT ONLY to people that I KNOW will fix if anything goes wrong
    Honest question here related specifically to your post - surely your trailer was insured?

If the person who hit it didn't sort it out, hand over to your insurers and let them take the fight on.
    Tyrone Ferguson

Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6