Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thumbs up Re: Lending out of Equipment - Would you?

It is all just earthly possession at the end of the day.

Then again, my DNA prevents me from ever asking someone to borrow me anything (especially money) - maybe it is a Gen-X thing?
    2022 FX4 Ranger 2L Sit 4x4 Auto
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Farm Lorrie & Heavy loads)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Default Re: Lending out of Equipment - Would you?

Ian, reading this thread I am grateful for your generosity.

Based on the responses here there was a high probability I could have slept in the ablution facility.
    "K.a.k Wheeler

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD - 400 000km and permanent member of the family
    2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU 3.6 - no lift kit and smaller wheels.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Some cheap stuff I'll lend out, since if it doesn't come back in good shape, or not at all, no real harm done, and I shall not feel done in. But the quality stuff I'm jealous about. Those are just "No". The "No" may give the relationship a wobble, but damaged goods will end the relationship irrevocably.

What was that saying we had in the SADF days: "Two things you don't lend out: your toothbrush and your girlfriend. Definitely not your toothbrush."
    Last edited by roxenz; 2024/05/22 at 09:12 AM.

What I have also done - kept getting asked to use my tents.

I have some older ones I have not used in ages - here you go, you can have this one.

But some like it too easy and go - can we rather use the van?

I'm sorry - the van may be easier, but it is full of expensive stuff - use the bloody tent like I had to before I could afford the luxury of a van.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dilligafrican For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Ian, reading this thread I am grateful for your generosity.

Based on the responses here there was a high probability I could have slept in the ablution facility.
    Rainier - as I said - I choose the people I lend stuff to these days. Especially after the 9-sleeper tent I mentioned earlier. However, you're OK. And if you ever want to camp again (from our discussion, I believe this to be highly unlikely) you're welcome anytime. Perhaps you can even find the knack to fold the tent up again properly next time...
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Imvubu View Post
    I lend my stuff out all the time. Sometimes I even get it back.

If I don't, or it's buggered, so be it. I'll leave it up to the borrower's conscience.

My best mate borrowed my chainsaw a little while ago, and it burnt out while he was using it. He replaced it with a brand new one which I certainly didn't expect.

These things happen, and it wouldn't have bothered me if he hadn't. It could easily have happened while I was using it.
    Can I borrow your T5 for a transport over the next week-end?

Need to get some stuff up to Mokopong, I promise to be back on Monday.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Weird. Rainier told me that he has no issues at all sleeping under the stars, as long as there were five of them...

Edit - staying vaguely on topic, I do lend stuff. Very little of it is off limits, strictly not camping stuff, like cameras, my decent binoculars. But I've loaned out just about everything. I've always got it back, generally in the condition it left, but both my friends are decent responsible people...
    That reminds me I have your Tiger Fishing Box at home

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Rainier - as I said - I choose the people I lend stuff to these days. Especially after the 9-sleeper tent I mentioned earlier. However, you're OK. And if you ever want to camp again (from our discussion, I believe this to be highly unlikely) you're welcome anytime. Perhaps you can even find the knack to fold the tent up again properly next time...
    Tents are designed to trick you into thinking they will fit back in. But they NEVER do.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Can I borrow your T5 for a transport over the next week-end?

Need to get some stuff up to Mokopong, I promise to be back on Monday.
    If I wasn't currently short a vehicle due to an idjit that didn't think he had to stop an intersection where the robots were out (no sign of hobocops) we could discuss it. :-)

You'd have to take the second and third rows of seats out yourself though, they're #&£% painful to remove, and rather heavy, or maybe I'm just getting too old.
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2012 VW T5 2.0BiTdi 132kW 4Mot Transporter
    2005 Land Rover Discovery II TD5 Facelift

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imvubu For This Useful Post:

Lending stuff to other people makes me feel less guilty about owning it and not using it often enough.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold) and now on my second second hand D4 British Tata.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JanB For This Useful Post:

The times I have lent out camping tents and stuff, I took the people with me and put the tents up myself and Swambo. The we took them down again and packed them nicely . .... Once I took one down two days before we were due to leave.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Refundable Deposit for the replacement value of the goods?

If it is returned in good order, full refund. If not, friend keeps it and you replace.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

If you host a group of people for a few days and on the morning of day 1 you welcome them with a Champagne Breakfast. And during the other mornings you provide a proper normal English Breakfast. Afterwards it is very likely that they will complain that you did not provide Champagne Breakfast every morning, but merely an English Breakfast.

The other group of people gets the same proper English Breakfast from day 1 to the last day. Afterwards it is very likely that they will thank you for the proper English Breakfast they received every morning.

I call this behavior: "Champagne Breakfast Syndrome"

Therefore my answer to your question is: "NO"

Once you say yes, you cannot say no in future because of the Champagne Breakfast Syndrome. A future no will most likely result in arguments, distrust and broken friendships.

Keep it real and practice to say NO........ Just NO........

Nazdrovia
    Whether you are a lion or gazelle, in order to survive, you better run like hell.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nazdrobia For This Useful Post:

I do not own "stuff" (besides watches & knives) for the sake of owning (although there could be a fair measure of sheer pleasure in owning by itself) - I own "stuff" because I have an application for it.

When that "application value" diminishes because somebody buggered it wilst lending - there goes 100% of the value of the item for me.

I cannot camp in a tent with a tear appearing after lending it to someone. I cannot use the baby-grinder because the lending person lost the guard. The list is endless and the experiences many.

So, basically I am an a-hole (don't bother pointing out to me "you said it" - I know). It is my personality type. I use tools that I purcahsed 30 years ago that are still immaculate. Some of my "stuff" is very old - but perfect.

I recently relented and gave someone my Kärcher that I bought in 2000. Run like a Swiss watch since then. Got it back buggered. Had it fixed and now its ok again, but still...........

Ask me for help when you are in a fix - I will walk to the ends of the earth for you. Just leave my "stuff" alone.
    Jaco Nell

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IF YOU ARE A GIVER.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	722791

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Let me get my ‘introduction’ out the way with this post as well, since I skipped the introduce yourself step when joining in order to ask advice on a totally unrelated matter.

I have used this forum as “guest” for many years, having found a lot of very helpful answers to problems via google search that led me to this platform. Those were always vehicle specific, or related to specific faraway destinations etc. My name is Christo Robertson, and I am a CA based in Gordons Bay, but work for a company based in Luxemburg. I love fishing fishing, motorbike trips to the Karoo with mates, and my wife Ilse.

In the week I have been a member, I notice the actually very active threads on this “community” very seldom deal with 4x4 vehicle related issues or travel/4x4/overlandimg etc questions. It’s more politics, current affairs and mines bigger than yours than anything else.

I must be very lucky then, as I am part of a group of friends where things are readily borrowed between us, with very little questions asked, and I’m not just talking about tents. When one is in a bit of a pickle, we easily loan out a car even a place to stay, and 9 times out of 10 you get it back cleaner than it was given out, and with a full tank of fuel. The one in ten times something comes back broken, or not at all for what ever reason, that’s an insurance issue, or you write it off as bad luck and move on. I know my my friends and family well. I highly doubt any of them would deliberately go out to ruin something I have borrowed them, so if something goes wrong, so be it. If they choose to replace or repair it out of pocket to clear their conscience, good on them. If not, I deal with it, and it doesn’t affect the friendship. If it’s a car that was crashed or a holiday home burnt down, that’s what insurance is for. If it’s a tent or camp chair or a fishing rod, you take it on the chin and move on. Expecting someone to replace a 10 year old tent because a zip failed while they were using it is absurd. Most likely that zip would have failed the next time you used it anyway. If they choose to replace it with a new one and it’s within their means, so be it, if not, same story.

I am a firm believer in the idea of “If you have more than you need, build a longer table, not higher walls”. If anyone is going to abuse that, let it be on their conscience. If my friend needs something from me I don’t need at the moment let them have it. I borrow without expectation, and surprisingly that sort of hospitality is rewarded more often than it is abused.

is this the 4x4 community, or is it the 4x4 me myself and I?
    Last edited by ChrisRobin; 2024/05/22 at 02:30 PM.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChrisRobin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRobin View Post
    Let me get my ‘introduction’ out the way with this post as well, since I skipped the introduce yourself step when joining in order to ask advice on a totally unrelated matter.

I have used this forum as “guest” for many years, having found a lot of very helpful answers to problems via google search that led me to this platform. Those were always vehicle specific, or related to specific faraway destinations etc. But in the week I have been a member, I notice the actually very active threads on this “community” very seldom deal with 4x4 vehicle related issues or travel/4x4/overlandimg etc questions. It’s more politics, current affairs and mines bigger than yours than anything else.

I must be very lucky then, as I am part of a group of friends where things are readily borrowed between us, with very little questions asked, and I’m not just talking about tents. When one is in a bit of a pickle, we easily loan out a car even a place to stay, and 9 times out of 10 you get it back cleaner than it was given out, and with a full tank of fuel. The one in ten times something comes back broken, or not at all for what ever reason, that’s an insurance issue, or you write it off as bad luck and move on. I know my my friends and family well. I highly doubt any of them would deliberately go out to ruin something I have borrowed them, so if something goes wrong, so be it. If they choose to replace or repair it out of pocket to clear their conscience, good on them. If not, I deal with it, and it doesn’t affect the friendship. If it’s a car that was crashed or a holiday home burnt down, that’s what insurance is for. If it’s a tent or camp chair or a fishing rod, you take it on the chin and move on. Expecting someone to replace a 10 year old tent because a zip failed while they were using it is absurd. Most likely that zip would have failed the next time you used it anyway. If they choose to replace it with a new one and it’s within their means, so be it, if not, same story.

I am a firm believer in the idea of “If you have more than you need, build a longer table, not higher walls”. If anyone is going to abuse that, let it be on their conscience. If my friend needs something from me I don’t need at the moment let them have it. I borrow without expectation, and surprisingly that sort of hospitality is rewarded more often than it is abused.

is this the 4x4 community, or is it the 4x4 me myself and I?
    Some people I will happily lend stuff to. Because I know how they treat it and will it back in a better shape.

That list is very very short.

As for the rest - they may call it OCD, I call it leave my s**t alone.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dilligafrican For This Useful Post:

My BIL borrowed my 2,4 m dome tent, took his new girlfriend camping. About 18 months later I asked him if he can please return the tent. O' he said, I returned it last year on the 21st of June. Dropped it at your factory. (That is another thing: why do they when they eventually return an item, always give it back at an inopportune moment or place? Like my one friend who gave me the allan key he borrowed two two weeks earlier, when we were sitting in a restaurant having a fancy dinner.)

I searched the factory, we are FSSC 2200 compliant and no strange items may be brought onto the premises. Nobody at the factory knew anything about the tent. Then I had to go camping, I took my bigger dome tent, the smaller tent (now MIA) I can set up on my own, the bigger one needs someone to hold onto a pole). On that trip I was pitching the big tent in the veld just south of Verneukpan, I was struggling on my own and I remembered cursing him while trying to pitch the tent solo.

Then a month later BIL phones: I am so sorry, I was cleaning the garage and there I found your tent. I said but how come you remembered the exact date when you supposedly returned the tent? I am sorry he said, I will bring the tent tomorrow.

He returned the tent about a month later. He had fixed the seams of the bag.

A few months after the return my wife and I went camping in the Tankwa. We took the small tent. The awning was missing.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

Ja lekke onderwerp ek al kamp toerusting geleen vir een van my skoonseuns later veel later tent opgeslaan by De Voetpadkloof en toe gesien klein gatjies gebrand moes tent weg smyt nou ja nou sukkel ek met die idee van leen

If you are a non smoker, lend your stuff to a smoker. Please go ahead.
    My Life Loving It

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris G For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast