Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Hinn hinn pappie!

Howsit gents,

I am from Pretoria, looking to get into a bit of overlanding.

I've been big into racing offroad motorcycles for most of my life. Had a tough head injury a few years ago that moved me over to road & adventure bikes. Currently riding a Multistrada V4 and KTM 950 for the more gnarly stuff.

My dad was recently in a massive bike accident. He is currently still recovering in hospital after 2 months in ICU. I believe our naive eyes have been opened to the risks we take... I just can't see myself putting my family through that, never mind putting the SO on the back. So we decided to stop the bike touring and turn our attention to the world overlanding and/or 4x4ing.

Will be posting and harassing fellow members in the other forum sections.

Cheers,
    Herco.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Panda For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hinn hinn pappie!

Welcome! Which four wheel monster are you considering?

Alfa Romeo Stelvio - Bellissimo!
    Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8 (sold)
    Alfa Romeo MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde (sold but still near to me)
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeepiscool For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    Howsit gents,

I am from Pretoria, looking to get into a bit of overlanding.

I've been big into racing offroad motorcycles for most of my life. Had a tough head injury a few years ago that moved me over to road & adventure bikes. Currently riding a Multistrada V4 and KTM 950 for the more gnarly stuff.

My dad was recently in a massive bike accident. He is currently still recovering in hospital after 2 months in ICU. I believe our naive eyes have been opened to the risks we take... I just can't see myself putting my family through that, never mind putting the SO on the back. So we decided to stop the bike touring and turn our attention to the world overlanding and/or 4x4ing.

Will be posting and harassing fellow members in the other forum sections.

Cheers,
    Herco.
    I hope your dad comes out ok
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4, 2017 XL Auto 4x4, Ex Haval H9
    Ex 320d, Maz MPS, CITI Golf, Anglia Van

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PsyPhin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    Welcome! Which four wheel monster are you considering?
    Thanks man!

Quite a variety at the moment to be fair. Still figuring out exactly what I want to do. Overlanding, 4x4 ing, driving to camp terrains... All seem to have quite different requirements from a vehicle.

- Hilux/Fortuner: Don't want them stolen, so veering away.
    - FJ Cruiser: Too small for long term ownership? Boot space? Kids when they come.
    - Prado: Too soft? Limited upgrade path?
    - 4 dr Rubicon: Reliability? Cost of ownership?
    - Touareg: My dad owns one. Fantastic vehicle, but not sure about servicing costs and the softness of the car.
    - Amarok: V6 too expensive. 2l bi-turbo enoug oomph?
    - Isuzu bakkie: Do I want a bakkie? 2.5 enough oomph? Upgrade path if I want to do more 4x4ing.

As you see, I still have a ton of reading and research to do.
    Last edited by Panda; 2024/05/21 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks man!

Quite a variety at the moment to be fair. Still figuring out exactly what I want to do. Overlanding, 4x4 ing, driving to camp terrains... All seem to have quite different requirements from a vehicle.

- FJ Cruiser: Too small for long term ownership? Boot space? Kids when they come.
    - Touareg: My dad owns one. Fantastic vehicle, but not sure about servicing costs and the softness of the car.
    - Isuzu bakkie: Do I want a bakkie? 2.5 enough oomph? Upgrade path if I want to do more 4x4ing.

Is your concerns about the Jeep based on facts or anecdotal stories?
    "K.a.k Wheeler

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD - 400 000km and permanent member of the family
    2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU 3.6 - no lift kit and smaller wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Is your concerns about the Jeep based on facts or anecdotal stories?
    They are questions and concerns I have for everything I am considering. I am still looking for more concise information regarding reliability and cost of ownership on the 3.8l here in South Africa. However, I have a few accounts from previous owners who have moved to other brands that mention the Jeeps were their most expensive vehicles to own. So a bit of a question mark for me at this point in my search.

I am open to almost anything. Still prodding, reading and learning... Enjoying the process as I go along.

Welcome!

you will find all roads initially lead to a second hand Pajero with Super Select.

But like you say, go through the process its the fun part.

Karol Life = Σ(Choices)
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

....world overlanding and/or 4x4ing..
    Even before you get to vehicle choices, the bold are discussions all by themselves.

How do you define 'overlanding' for yourself? There are hundreds of opinions on this, there has been very long threads about it.

How you define each, will make your vehicle choice clear.

You may also want to rethink your pre-conceived notions of some of the vehicles on your list.

Good luck.
    Christa

2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT - sold

Bushlapa 78 - sold

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Even before you get to vehicle choices, the bold are discussions all by themselves.

How do you define 'overlanding' for yourself? There are hundreds of opinions on this, there has been very long threads about it.

How you define each, will make your vehicle choice clear.

You may also want to rethink your pre-conceived notions of some of the vehicles on your list.

Good luck.
    I agree 100%. I mentioned earlier that I still have to figure out exactly what I (we) want to do. Once that is figured out I can narrow down my vehicle search.

At the moment I am romanticising each option and enjoying the journey.

Which vehicles are you referring to specifically? I just thought out loud as I typed the small list from memory. From what I've heard in the field, seen, read, saw on YT videos etc etc. Not too hardup or serious about my opinions, I've never owned a 4bie.

...Which vehicles are you referring to specifically? ...
    I can only speak for Hilux, Fortuner and Prado's.

Not all Hiluxes and Fortuners get stolen. My Hilux was, Fortuner not.

Prado's are not 'too' soft for the general, standard, gravel road and sand track touring in Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique which most people does.

But that is not hardcore overlanding. If that is what you are looking at then I would not consider any of the choices on your list.

My first Prado did around 50 000 km across border with a caravan in tow and some really hardcore tracks in Zambia. It was standard except aftermarket shocks, all terrain tyres and rear airbags to level the caravan a bit. They are very comfortable vehicles and we did quite a few 10 - 11 hour driving stints in the Prado.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2024/05/21 at 05:23 PM.
    Christa

2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT - sold

Bushlapa 78 - sold

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Thanks man!

..... only one option - Nissan Patrol Y61 in good health (get in touch with Petri Oosthuizen here on the forum)
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Talk to the grey heads and figure what will row your boat. (And the boats of the family!!)
    Doing it in a vehicle instead of on a bike can suddenly become a family outing. (Different ball game.)
    Your biggest achievement will be when you can properly involve and entertain them. If they do not enjoy it as much as you do, the kite is not going to fly.
    If you want to do 4x4 trails, bum a ride locally. It can become boring for the family rather quickly.
    If it is real overlanding that interests you, go on a course.
    You can also do overlanding long after retirement.
    You can visit weird and wonderfull places, add nature, adventure, photography etc to the package.
    Most of all, develop the urge into something the whole family can enjoy with you. (Including dad?)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieter de Waal For This Useful Post:

Thanks man!

There are extensive upgrades for every decent 4x4 sold here in SA. So don't stress to much about that.

Focus on getting the car first and before you start throwing money at it for upgrades, take it out for a trip as is. See what you need as you use the vehicle and build it up over time to fulfill your needs. You'll be surprised by how little you actually need to get started. A standard 4x4 with decent all terrain tires and basic camping equipment is all you really need, and for some, all you'll ever need.

You'll be happy with just about any 4x4 you choose. They're all capable and they all have their pro's and cons. Your main obstacle is going to be your budget. Next will be what your personal preferences are, comfort or utility, is it going to be a daily driver or not, new or used, double cab or SUV etc.

To get a feel for what's out there go to cars.co.za, auto trader, webuycars and use the search filters.

Set a budget, use the search filters, see what 4x4s fall in that budget, make a list of the ones you like and research them. Look at things like:

- fuel economy
    - towing capacity
    - common issues with x vehicle
    - maintenance costs
    Insangu - the green machine 2.8i defender 90
    Bakkie Chan - the GWM P Series Limited 2023

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePinkertone For This Useful Post:

Welcome to the forum Herco.
    A friend of mine is also in hospital after a bike prang. Since Easter... Hope your dad makes a speedy and full recovery.

I would think that somebody who used to enjoy motorcross would perhaps find trail riding more interesting than touring?

I have no idea where snorcity is, but perhaps the next time there is a forum trail event in your area you can tag along as a passenger? There are usually guys who go alone and won't mind a passenger.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2024/05/27 at 10:55 AM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the inputs gents and ladies!

Been having discussions on and off with the SO, and showing her some videos of the different options we have; wild camping, touring, trail riding, etc...

We are definitely leaning towards touring, considering all the places we plan to see and visit over the next few years...

The KMs add up quick, ruling out 'larger' rigs like the series 105 or even the FJ...

Strongly considering a gen2 Touareg at the moment. My dad owns one and we've enjoyed the car, but we have never put in any real remote location.

As for amenities, I believe a roof top tent and fridge to be the big expenses out the door. The rest we will figure out as we're out in the bush.

The forum has been an invaluable resource for information and personal experiences.

Thanks for all the inputs gents and ladies!

Been having discussions on and off with the SO, and showing her some videos of the different options we have; wild camping, touring, trail riding, etc...

We are definitely leaning towards touring, considering all the places we plan to see and visit over the next few years...

The KMs add up quick, ruling out 'larger' rigs like the series 105 or even the FJ...

Strongly considering a gen2 Touareg at the moment. My dad owns one and we've enjoyed the car, but we have never put in any real remote location.

As for amenities, I believe a roof top tent and fridge to be the big expenses out the door. The rest we will figure out as we're out in the bush.

The forum has been an invaluable resource for information and personal experiences.

Do not fall for all the sales talk on accesories. The only one you really need is the charging system and at least 75Ah available from a battery. Careful about charging systems, most are overpriced and not well designed, meaning it will not do what you think. Read up about pros and cons of ground tent and RT. Ego buying can be expensive. I do not sell any of these but will give you opinions from 30 years plus. I also do courses for start-ups. Planning your own trip to Botswana, bush mechanic etc.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieter de Waal For This Useful Post:

Hope your dad get well soon.

So far I try stay on the bike. Harley for town and 1250GS for offroad. Looking at a new scrambler, but leaning to trails biking, trying to do safer trips.

The 4x4s are nice. Its a new life
    Angel Group
    Solar-Construction-Offroad
    [email protected]
    Next event: 4x4 Recovery-TBA

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Engel For This Useful Post:

Touareg wil keep you happy for a long time.

Contact Stephan on WhatsApp on 0sixone five 07 six 017, he is the go to Indy on Touaregs in Gauteng, and can let you know what to look out for.

I have done trails ( not really my thing), Botswana etc with mine, towing a caravan or not, with no hassles.
    Errol Cornelius

Audi Q7
    Touareg V8

30. The Following User Says Thank You to zx14 For This Useful Post:

Strongly considering a gen2 Touareg at the moment. My dad owns one and we've enjoyed the car, but we have never put in any real remote location..
    Having owned a Touareg, and have a son that also owned 1, the boot space is very small on a Touareg because of the sloping roofline... After fitting a fridge/freezer, not much space left.... Something to keep in mind.
    2006 Disco 3 SE V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto
    2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2013 Freelander SD4 SE
    2013 Freelander SD4 S(SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TwinDisco For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the additional inputs gents.

We've made the decision last night that we will probably do tent camping until we have a real need for a RTT. After some searching I found quite a few very decent tents that can be put up and taken down just as quick, if not quicker, than the average RTT.

The space is a bit of a concern in the Touareg. Although it is one of the few vehicles that match our needs for comfort and power, and budget. In a few years the kids will come, but I guess we can sort that out when we get there. At the moment she must fit all our camping gear, clothes and food... Worst case is to tow along the old Venter for longer trips.

There's so many options, all with their own pros and cons... I just don't want to end up in a analysis paralysis instead of actually going out and doing the thing. Touareg feels like a nice softroader with everything we require onboard, so if our needs outgrow the car it will be easy to sell again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast